ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES OF INTEREST 11.10.23

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
All the American conference teams won yesterday by 10 or more points. SMU has impressed me by playing 3 games in 4 days and winning by big margins in all three contests. I know they level of play was not as high but that is getting tournament form in. They should be good this year.

Out of all the days this weekend, this will be the heaviest list of games. Tomorrow will be a Game Day for TU but until then we need to dive into the list for today. There are a few “Special” type games today.

You have the “He Gets us Hall of Fame Series” in Charlotte, NC today at the Spectrum Center. Liberty vs Charlotte, Virginia vs Florida and Virginia Tech vs South Carolina. That should be a great day of basketball for those in attendance.

The Asheville Championship tournament starts today with Clemson vs UAB and Maryland vs Davidson. The finals are on Sunday.

Lastly you have the Veterans Classic in Annapolis, MD today. This features Navy vs Temple and College of Charleston vs Duquesne. This is only a one-day classic.

Todays Games

In the rest of the games today you have Central Arkansas taking on a division 3 team in Hendrix along with Oral Roberts playing one of there many games against NAIA schools. Mississippi Valley continues its death march rolling into Norman to get slaughtered at the hands of the Sooners. UTSA travels to Minnesota and this game will be on Peacock. Rice is playing host to a team with superior intellect in Harvard and the game of the night pits Memphis at Missouri.

Also, the women host New Orleans at the Reynolds Center at 11 a.m. this morning.

AND ONE

Today is the 248th birthday of the United States Marine Corps. Today I salute my fellow Marines past and present by wishing them a Happy Birthday. Semper Fi.

GO TU!!!

Today’s games

TeamRatingTeamRatingTimeTV
Liberty40vsCharlotte1033:30 p.m.ESPN+
Hendrix College#N/AatCentral Ark.3326:30 p.m.ESPN+
UTSA301atMinnesota2396:30 p.m.Peacock
Mid-America Christian#N/AatOral Roberts437:00 p.m.KGEB Ch 53
Mississippi Val.357atOklahoma657:00 p.m.ESPN+
Harvard155atRice1757:00 p.m.ESPN+
Temple124atNavy1687:30 p.m.CBSSN
Little Rock325atUIC2867:30 p.m.ESPN+
Memphis39atMissouri498:00 p.m.SEC NET
Clemson62vsUAB578:30 p.m.ESPN+
Jackson St.311atCalifornia Baptist1779:00 p.m.ESPN+
Tulsa Women
New OrleansatTulsa11:00 a.m.ESPN+

The post tomorrow will cover Saturday through Monday. This weekend is a slow weekend for basketball on the GOI. For those of you who are new to my ramblings, Each TU game gets its own post. If there are a large number of games they get their own post. If there are days that we have few games on the list then they get merged on the larger posts.

Also the "And One" is something I started two years ago about things "I" find interesting. I cannot stress the "I" enough in that statement. lol

Loca, thanks for doing this. I always appreciate the updated values we see and knowing the 6 degrees of separation games tied back to TU and its opponents for the season.

One question, what ratings are you using and this early in the season, how are they derived? The reason I ask is that ORU at 43 coming off a loss at UTSA seems awfully high. My guess is they're going to be in the 200 range this season when it's said and done and they will be midpack in the Summit and we can stop having to listen to their insufferable fans when they go back to being crappy ORU more concerned about the tattoos the players have than the talent the players have.

Reactions: loca2874
Loca, thanks for doing this. I always appreciate the updated values we see and knowing the 6 degrees of separation games tied back to TU and its opponents for the season.

One question, what ratings are you using and this early in the season, how are they derived? The reason I ask is that ORU at 43 coming off a loss at UTSA seems awfully high. My guess is they're going to be in the 200 range this season when it's said and done and they will be midpack in the Summit and we can stop having to listen to their insufferable fans when they go back to being crappy ORU more concerned about the tattoos the players have than the talent the players have.
Great question and I absolutely did not explain that this season but I did last season. The rating that are on there are the NET ratings from last season. Sorry I was being lazy there as my spreadsheet is pulling the ratings from the NET. Generally I do this until the NET has come out.

I tell you what I will do. Starting tomorrow I will pull from the KenPom until the NET comes out.

Also as for ORU, they will most definitely not be as good as they were. Losing Max to Texas was a big Cloe for them.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Great question and I absolutely did not explain that this season but I did last season. The rating that are on there are the NET ratings from last season. Sorry I was being lazy there as my spreadsheet is pulling the ratings from the NET. Generally I do this until the NET has come out.

I tell you what I will do. Starting tomorrow I will pull from the KenPom until the NET comes out.

Also as for ORU, they will most definitely not be as good as they were. Losing Max to Texas was a big Cloe for them.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was KenPom or not and it's fine because with so little data how does KenPom have anything that is anywhere close to utile? At this point I would think a minimum of 10 games would be needed to develop any statistically significant rating.

Thanks again for doing this. It is one of my favorite things about TU's basketball season. I will admit though that how closely I pay attention is directly tied to TU's success and prospects. I've been pretty checked out the last 2 years...it also directly impacts how much college basketball (and thus basketball in general b/c I hate the NBA) I watch. I've notice the same habit with football and I just haven't watched much college football at all this year.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was KenPom or not and it's fine because with so little data how does KenPom have anything that is anywhere close to utile? At this point I would think a minimum of 10 games would be needed to develop any statistically significant rating.

Thanks again for doing this. It is one of my favorite things about TU's basketball season. I will admit though that how closely I pay attention is directly tied to TU's success and prospects. I've been pretty checked out the last 2 years...it also directly impacts how much college basketball (and thus basketball in general b/c I hate the NBA) I watch. I've notice the same habit with football and I just haven't watched much college football at all this year.
I can understand that. You have no clue how painful it was for me to continue to post last year. I had to psyche myself up for the tournament

Thank you.

I am on Covid banishment in my garage office tonight and needed TV ideas.

Liberty beat Charlotte 71-59 this afternoon in the Hallnof game series. Even thought it was in Charlotte this is a neutral site game as it was played at the Spectrum

NC State beats Abilene Christian by 20
Not good news for the Pokes
ORU bears Mid American Christian ???by only 5 in Mabee
Central Ark crushes Hendrix by 43
All looking good for TU
Didn't ORU drop to D2 this year?

Also sounds like ORU won’t be able to get Ashton Smith (Texas A&M transfer) eligible for this year. That’s a guy we were initially really interested in and seemed to back off for reasons that are becoming more apparent.

One other thing on the players from last year. Not all of them are going to be dismal this year. There are a lot of things that went wrong last year. All of it wasn't based on shiiiittttteeeee players.

Bad attitudes hung over from Haith, not gelling w/ Konkols methods, bad work ethics allowed with Haith that didn't translate, a series of players that didn't mesh because their abilities were too similar to other players on the squad, not having certain key abilities/attributes with any single player on the team,(that were important to have) lack of a winning attitude by the team, bad work habits that were hard to break as a team, etc. etc. Those can be as much a cause as a crappy player.

It was good that those players moved on for their sake and ours. It lets the cream of last years players smooth itself out to a better level, and the crap sink to the bottom. Together, and here, did not work out for them or us.

There won't be but one or two players that I'll think could have stayed and we been better for it. But I'm betting we could have profited from one or two staying. Those players have still not fully distinguished themselves to me, but I bet they will over the next month or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: loca2874
One other thing on the players from last year. Not all of them are going to be dismal this year. There are a lot of things that went wrong last year. All of it wasn't based on shiiiittttteeeee players.

Bad attitudes hung over from Haith, not gelling w/ Konkols methods, bad work ethics allowed with Haith that didn't translate, a series of players that didn't mesh because their abilities were too similar to other players on the squad, not having certain key abilities/attributes with any single player on the team,(that were important to have) lack of a winning attitude by the team, bad work habits that were hard to break as a team, etc. etc. Those can be as much a cause as a crappy player.

It was good that those players moved on for their sake and ours. It lets the cream of last years players smooth itself out to a better level, and the crap sink to the bottom. Together, and here, did not work out for them or us.

There won't be but one or two players that I'll think could have stayed and we been better for it. But I'm betting we could have profited from one or two staying. Those players have still not fully distinguished themselves to me, but I bet they will over the next month or so.
Oops, thought I was on the other topic and was continuing the post. whatever!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT