ADVERTISEMENT

TU Women vs Georgetown thread

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Georgetown has some serious size. They only have 10 players dressed and my guess is they only go about 7-8 deep so we should try to run them into submission early.

Reactions: TU 1978
Georgetown has some serious size. They only have 10 players dressed and my guess is they only go about 7-8 deep so we should try to run them into submission early.
They have a player that reminds me of Temira. We’ll see how they match up.

End of first quarter -

TU leads 27-20

We need to limit them inside. They are getting a good number of paint points and shooting 50 %.

We're shooting well. Georgetown is a way better team than Arkansas. SEC bias in the seedings. Georgetown's PG is a good player. We need to do a better job on the defensive glass. Good to see us getting some scoring contributions from players other than Poindexter and Crawford. Bodes well for the future.

We went cold the last few minutes of the 3rd. Stayed in it with some FTs. Gallegos is a really good ball handler and a good heady defender, but she needs to hit a layup occasionally. She gets to the rim relatively easy and can't hit the bunnies. It's killing me.

I can't figure these refs out. Some contact is a foul and then it isn't. Just tough. And Georgetown is killing us on the offensive glass.

Poindexter dribbling across half court knocked down from behind and called for a foul!!!

This is what a good basketball Coach and well coached team looks like we need this in all of our basketball coaches and teams we would be champions like the ladies.
Is that an insult to coach Konkol or a compliment to coach Nelp? Why is it that you just can't compliment Nelp and the ladies? You almost always throw in a barb.

Is that an insult to coach Konkol or a compliment to coach Nelp? Why is it that you just can't compliment Nelp and the ladies? You almost always throw in a barb.
Let’s be proud of an elite 8 team they work hard and deserve all of the accolades. Tulsa in the elite 8 in basketball is fantastic let’s enjoy this moment. If we beat big 10 Illinois like we beat sec and big 12 teams we will be in final four

Why have we not seen women coaching men? It happens the other way.
This is a really good question. Most likely candidates, IMO, Becky Hammond, who was an assistant coach with the Spurs for many years, or Dawn Staley.

Nelp does a fantastic job at coaching fundamentals. We went to a zone defense much of the 2nd half because Georgetown was killing us inside. It really slowed them down and forced them to use more shot clock...and the zone was sort of that amorphous blob zone Haith used when Wainwright was here. I couldn't tell where the doubles were coming from or who was supposed to be in what position of the 2-3.

And it's apparent Nelp recruits players who can all bring the ball up the court. Shes not gonna have a 6'4" Center whose only job is to set screens and stand on the low block. With any given 5 on the court, they can all bring it up which makes trying to trap or press us in the backcourt so difficult.

I'm starting to appreciate what Gallegos brings to the table a bit more. She had 3 blown layups by my count but she is a really good PG and she's such a savvy defender. Goes for Maddie Cartwright too who reminds me of Jonny Gendron in her style of play.

As we get more and more players contributing offensively, it makes Poindexter and Crawford that much more dangerous.

Reactions: TU 1978
Why have we not seen women coaching men? It happens the other way.
I think Tennessee once offered the men’s HC position to Pat Summitt but she turned it down. She was a great coach and tough as nails. She went into labor on a private plane. They were over Kentucky and the pilot wanted to land but she threatened him and said my baby will only be born in Tennessee.

I’m looking forward to the recruits that Nelp is bringing in next year as well.

Hadley Perriman always impresses me with her defense and rebounding. Like many on our team she gives 110% on the court.

I’m looking forward to the recruits that Nelp is bringing in next year as well.

Hadley Perriman always impresses me with her defense and rebounding. Like many on our team she gives 110% on the court.
She's an under rated passer as well.

BTW, I saw John Phillips at the game. As bad as that firing/resignation was, he still supports TU. Good deal!

This is a really good question. Most likely candidates, IMO, Becky Hammond, who was an assistant coach with the Spurs for many years, or Dawn Staley.

Nelp does a fantastic job at coaching fundamentals. We went to a zone defense much of the 2nd half because Georgetown was killing us inside. It really slowed them down and forced them to use more shot clock...and the zone was sort of that amorphous blob zone Haith used when Wainwright was here. I couldn't tell where the doubles were coming from or who was supposed to be in what position of the 2-3.

And it's apparent Nelp recruits players who can all bring the ball up the court. Shes not gonna have a 6'4" Center whose only job is to set screens and stand on the low block. With any given 5 on the court, they can all bring it up which makes trying to trap or press us in the backcourt so difficult.

I'm starting to appreciate what Gallegos brings to the table a bit more. She had 3 blown layups by my count but she is a really good PG and she's such a savvy defender. Goes for Maddie Cartwright too who reminds me of Jonny Gendron in her style of play.

As we get more and more players contributing offensively, it makes Poindexter and Crawford that much more dangerous.

Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman was a Kings assistant for a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT