ADVERTISEMENT

TU Bowl Rumor

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
I just talked to the head of the NC State Wolfpack Club. They became bowl eligible with their win at UNC. He said that he had just spoken with their AD and their best information is they will play Tulsa. Likely in St Petersburg or Annapolis. FWIW!

Thanks for the news TU1NNJ! Now we really need to win big tonight. GO TU !

Wouldn't Dallas be better in terms of attendance? I'm sure as hell not driving or flying to Florida for a bowl game that time of year. That's when all the hotels are booked up with french Canadians and snowbirds. Forget it.

I think with our win and Houston's loss, we will play in Birmingham versus an SEC team, possibly Vanderbilt?

A big question is whether Navy ends up in the Cotton. If they win impressively next week I think odds are YES.

If Western Michigan beats Ohio Friday night in the MAC conference championship game going 13-0; they deserve the Cotton Bowl bid. We could end up in Fort Worth with a Western Michigan loss and Navy securing the Cotton Bowl with a win over Temple.

They may deserve it but the committee is paying attention to the power rankings at Navy has s good chance to leapfrog even if WMU wins.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Western Michigan does not deserve it. Do you think they would finish higher than third in our division? OU and OSU would have a hard time with that! They need to pick the best team not because they went undefeated against the MAC.

I think it would be a shame if WMU went undefeated, beat two Big 10 teams (plus CMU who beat OSU and EMU who beat Wyoming), and were left out. I'm all for rooting for our conference and the money the AAC and Tulsa would receive if Navy went to the Cotton, but Western Michigan has done everything in their power to earn some respect and if they win on Friday they deserve a chance to be in the spotlight.

The Western Michigan debate is based on the same reasoning which will be used to keep an undefeated G5 team out of the CFP final four. Those of you cheering for Navy's inclusion keep that in mind.

The Western Michigan debate is based on the same reasoning which will be used to keep an undefeated G5 team out of the CFP final four. Those of you cheering for Navy's inclusion keep that in mind.
Houston would have almost assuredly been included in the CFP had it gone undefeated this year with the caliber of wins and the strength of the AAC in general. Aresco is on target thinking the conference needs to be included. There were a number of good AAC wins over P5s (and yes we still have dog teams, UCONN, Tulane, but so does every conference...SEC= South Carolina, ACC-Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse, B1G= Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue Big XII- Iowa State, Kansas Pac 12-take your pick). I'm not lobbying for Navy to be included in the playoff, just that they are a better team than Western Michigan. Navy's wins over Notre Dame, Houston, us are better than WMUs wins over Illinois and Purdue or anything in their own conference. Losing to USF is not a bad loss (USF is a top 25 team IMO). The only thing questionable is the loss to Air Force (who beat Boise St) and throw everything out when the service academies play one another as there is more pride and bragging rights at stake than even in something like Bedlam. Evidence: Years of terrible Army teams battling to the wire against good Navy teams.

It will take a perfect storm to get a G5 team in the playoff imo. The committee was set up in part to make the selections subjective (ie...to exclude non-P5 teams). How many years are we going to have an undefeated G5 team with OOC wins over a top 10 school and another top 25 opponent?

It will take a perfect storm to get a G5 team in the playoff imo. The committee was set up in part to make the selections subjective (ie...to exclude non-P5 teams). How many years are we going to have an undefeated G5 team with OOC wins over a top 10 school and another top 25 opponent?
UH could have done it this year, but they decided to suck it up in conference.

Reactions: scotty0912
The shame is that the Big 12 is considered to be in playoff contention. There is not one team in that conference that would win the American. OSU is very over rated!!

UH could have done it this year, but they decided to suck it up in conference.

Yep....that would have been the perfect storm. How many G5 schools are 1) Going to have the likes of OU and Louisville on their OOC schedule in a year where both are good 2) beat both and 3) go undefeated in all other games?

Yep....that would have been the perfect storm. How many G5 schools are 1) Going to have the likes of OU and Louisville on their OOC schedule in a year where both are good 2) beat both and 3) go undefeated in all other games?
Honestly, I think half of our conference has the ability to do it. Even down to the likes of SMU or ECU. Tulsa could if we pulled it off in a season like we had in 09'. We were @ no.12 OU, and had no. 6 Boise and no. 15 UH at home. If we had run the table... (or maybe won those three and even dropped a game) we could have done it. Those opportunities only come along once ever couple years though.

Tulsa would give Oklahoma the same game this year that we gave Virginia Tech last year on a neutral field with neutral refs. Its amazing how good the officiating can be during bowl games when money does not matter.

That "feel good" article in the Oklahoman about Scott Evans taking his son aside and breaking down his film is equal parts infuriating and laughable. The article is meant to be this heart warming story of a dad finally deciding to give his son some advice at the end of this son's career. What I read it to mean is that the kid is playing sloppy, the coaches aren't seeing his mistakes, or if they are, they are not doing anything to hold him accountable. Ummm ... maybe that is why OU's defense is torchable. Mike Stoops either isn't paying attention or is tolerating mistakes. I like Tulsa's chances to capitalize on that weakness, especially with Atkinson over the middle deep one on one.

Honestly, I think half of our conference has the ability to do it. Even down to the likes of SMU or ECU. Tulsa could if we pulled it off in a season like we had in 09'. We were @ no.12 OU, and had no. 6 Boise and no. 15 UH at home. If we had run the table... (or maybe won those three and even dropped a game) we could have done it. Those opportunities only come along once ever couple years though.

Ability yes. Realistic opportunity no. Scheduling is the biggest obstacle as it will take two OOC wins against top 20 P5 teams to even get into the discussion. Then an undefeated conference slate. I only went back 20 years but I found no AAC team which would have come close to making the playoffs under the current system.

Right, but just like the current system of officiating and replay, it looks fair. Meanwhile, the checks keep cashing ...

The BCS was an incremental move towards a playoff.

The current system is an incremental move towards getting rid of, or diminishing the importance of, the bowl system.

The conference system was created because of the limits of budgets and transportation. Later, it was useful in negotiating regional broadcast rights after Board of Regents of Oklahoma vs. NCAA.

Neither of those really apply anymore.

The bowl system will expand to an eight team playoff, wait a couple of years, then we will all wake up to a premier league move by 36 of the larger schools announcing they are foregoing regulation by the NCAA and everyone else isn't invited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Saw a tweet that Old Dominion has accepted the Bahamas Bowl, FWIW

I doubt that the top tier will ever stop playing the next tier. There is too much incentive to avoid a losing record. If the top tier plays only itself, then half of the teams will be annual losers. And, TV has an apparently insatiable need for games as inventory - that has hurt attendance and forced absurd playing times, e.g., A late November home game against Cinncinatti at 7:30 PM.

Right, but just like the current system of officiating and replay, it looks fair. Meanwhile, the checks keep cashing ...

The BCS was an incremental move towards a playoff.

The current system is an incremental move towards getting rid of, or diminishing the importance of, the bowl system.

The conference system was created because of the limits of budgets and transportation. Later, it was useful in negotiating regional broadcast rights after Board of Regents of Oklahoma vs. NCAA.

Neither of those really apply anymore.

The bowl system will expand to an eight team playoff, wait a couple of years, then we will all wake up to a premier league move by 36 of the larger schools announcing they are foregoing regulation by the NCAA and everyone else isn't invited.
The last part will be challenged via anti-trust law. The only reason it hasn't yet is because those top tier schools have given up just enough money and the appearance of access to keep the G5s just happy enough.

The p5 conferences are over rated. each has only a couple of top tier teams, then drops to the next, and then the bottom dwellers.

Ie big10: Purdue, Indiana, Syracuse, Rutgers illinois, northWestern, mich st.
Give me that schedule.

The p5 conferences are over rated. each has only a couple of top tier teams, then drops to the next, and then the bottom dwellers.

Ie big10: Purdue, Indiana, Syracuse, Rutgers illinois, northWestern, mich st.
Give me that schedule.
Syracuse is ACC but I get the point. I am also giving Michigan St the one year pass as they have been stout the last few years.

don't forget that Maryland is in the Big 10 and struggled this year. It's a very top heavy league.

The last part will be challenged via anti-trust law. The only reason it hasn't yet is because those top tier schools have given up just enough money and the appearance of access to keep the G5s just happy enough.
+1.... yep the big-revenue conferences will never be allowed to go on their own. Now they can push their agendas in other ways like "cost of tuition" and the playoff which stack the deck against non-revenue conferences (MAC, SB, USA). I believe we're more likely to see a conference such as the MAC collapse and fold before the PAC, Big's, SEC, and ACC create an exclusion tier of competition. Most of the schools in the MAC are struggling to pay the bills, it's only a matter of time IMO. The Sun Belt has a much better chance of long term survival based alone on the fact football is king in the southeast/gulf coast.

When TCU and Utah were taking turns crashing the BCS bowls, the MWC was on the verge of forcing the establishment into giving them an Auto-bid. With Boise on the way the conference would have undoubtedly earned that bid. Then conference realignment hit and TCU, Utah, and BYU said, "adios".

I firmly believe the AAC is on track to do the same thing in regards to earning a NY6 auto-bid. A conference that produces 2-4 schools ranked, who are jocking for the G5 NY6 bid late into season on an annual basis will force the establishment's hand. The P5 can get away with setting up the system to their advantage (i.e.-BCS), but once the outcasts starting proving they otherwise change will be forced. What's happening at W.Michigan is a 4/5-year annomly, it happened with NIU at the end of the BCS era. Most seasons the G5 bid will go to the MWC or AAC, and from what i've seen the past 3 seasons, I like the AAC's chances to make a serious run overt he next 3-5 years.

As for Houston running the table this year and earning a CFP spot, I think they would have had a case against any 2-loss team, but definitely not a gimme.

It's really ashamed TU could jobbed at HOU and NAVY, other than a 30 minute meltdown in the horseshoe and 15 minutes meltdown in Fresno, TU played like a top 15 football team. The growth of the coaching staff was phenomenal this season.

TX

The P5s will do what they've done before if a G5 schools shows it belongs in a P5 football conference....make a space for them. I don't see anyway the P5 agrees to share it's pot of money when it can invite the trouble maker to become one of it's own and be out nothing. It's a monopoly and will remain so imo. Good news for Houston...bad news for the rest.

Remember, there was the Big East and they had a ticket to the party. So it is not out of the question AAC could make the case, especially if we are regularly dominating the NY6 slot for G5.

I still think 2-loss Navy gets the spot over undefeated WMU. Sort of like how WMU is undefeated and not remotely in the conversation for a playoff spot - same principle.

WMU doesn't deserve a damn thing. They are overrated in a shi1tty conference.

Houston would have almost assuredly been included in the CFP had it gone undefeated this year with the caliber of wins and the strength of the AAC in general. Aresco is on target thinking the conference needs to be included. There were a number of good AAC wins over P5s (and yes we still have dog teams, UCONN, Tulane, but so does every conference...SEC= South Carolina, ACC-Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse, B1G= Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue Big XII- Iowa State, Kansas Pac 12-take your pick). I'm not lobbying for Navy to be included in the playoff, just that they are a better team than Western Michigan. Navy's wins over Notre Dame, Houston, us are better than WMUs wins over Illinois and Purdue or anything in their own conference. Losing to USF is not a bad loss (USF is a top 25 team IMO). The only thing questionable is the loss to Air Force (who beat Boise St) and throw everything out when the service academies play one another as there is more pride and bragging rights at stake than even in something like Bedlam. Evidence: Years of terrible Army teams battling to the wire against good Navy teams.

Not sure I'm buying this one. I would like to think they would but lived far to long to know what the NCAA would actual do under these circumstances. My guess is they leave them out.

GO TU!!!!

Not sure I'm buying this one. I would like to think they would but lived far to long to know what the NCAA would actual do under these circumstances. My guess is they leave them out.

GO TU!!!!
You may be right but the leap they add after week 1 and beating OU, then throttling the media darling Louisville who was on the verge of playoff inclusion PLUS wins over us and Navy and a top 30 Temple/USF in the AAC title game PLUS the fact that Herman and Houston had become media darlings in their own right after beating Florida State last year, it would be hard to imagine them being left out as a 13-0 team in a strong conference. If they were to be left out with those caliber of wins, the whole CFP would be called into question and the anti-trust stuff gets brought back to the forefront. I think you see the G5s band together and really throw a cog into what the P5s want to do. Right now they've gone along based on the premise that they do have access albeit limited. If things had played out that way and they get left out of the CFP the G5s would basically implode the entire model on numbers alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT