ADVERTISEMENT

TU Bowl Rumor

The concept of an 8 team playoff would help eliminate the disparity between conferences and allow for more arguments to be won ON the field rather than off of it as is the case now. I think Navy could beat Ohio State this year and I think Tulsa could beat Wisconsin given a shot (and unbiased referees). What would be beautiful is if match ups between the P5 elitists and G5 lunch buckets became a real possibility instead of requiring a constellation alignment type season for our caliber of teams to have a chance at winning the whole shebang. We held court with Ohio State just fine for a significant period of time during the game. If Dane hadn't chucked a pick on our first play, and 2 more at the end of the half, ya never know what might've happened. But until it opens up to more possibilities, I hate having some political committee determine the fates of who gets a ticket to the dance. That's absurd and corrupt.

Only way a Tulsa, Houston and even Oklahoma State and many other mid P5 teams most likely ever get an invite is with an eight team playoff.

Still a beauty contest among the blue bloods. Every year one of those blue bloods is in position to steal a spot, this years crop include Michigan, Oklahoma, USC and Penn State.

I contend that if OK State was actually 10-1(CMU game) they would be rated sixth. Even if they beat OU I don't think it would get them a top 4 spot. Hard to know but I think the Cowboys would get the shaft.

GO TU!!!!

During the Ohio State/Michigan game the talking heads were saying that Ohio State and 'Bama were in even if they lost to Michigan and Auburn. If that truly would have been the case then the selection is a joke.

Only way a Tulsa, Houston and even Oklahoma State and many other mid P5 teams most likely ever get an invite is with an eight team playoff.

Still a beauty contest among the blue bloods. Every year one of those blue bloods is in position to steal a spot, this years crop include Michigan, Oklahoma, USC and Penn State.

I contend that if OK State was actually 10-1(CMU game) they would be rated sixth. Even if they beat OU I don't think it would get them a top 4 spot. Hard to know but I think the Cowboys would get the shaft.

GO TU!!!!

It sure feels like you're right...

GO TU!!!!

Assuming the officials ruled the CMU game correctly and OSU had one loss this year I wouldn't pick them over Washington absent a Bedlam blowout and close PAC12 title game. I simply don't think they're better than Washington. The 2011 OSU team certainly would have made a 4 team playoff btw. However, that team was much better than what will take the field in Norman on Saturday.

During the Ohio State/Michigan game the talking heads were saying that Ohio State and 'Bama were in even if they lost to Michigan and Auburn. If that truly would have been the case then the selection is a joke.
I can understand the legitimacy of Alabama even if they lost to Auburn. Ohio St. losing to Michigan, not so much.

GO TU!!!!

Yes. With 4 teams it's not who deserves to be in but who gets kicked out. Big name (big viewer base) programs are hard to dislodge. Alabama and one Big 10 are in for sure, so it's really two spots. To get in, you have to get someone out and that's really hard for a system driven by TV ratings.

Basketball has 300 teams with 64+ in the bracket; 20%.

128 footfall teams. 20% = 25, thus 32 for a full bracket.

16 is entirely too many teams logistically, a month of playoffs and up to 17 games (18-19 weeks) for student athletes. And I'm not interested in my team playing less than its 12-13 games to account for a shorter regular season and longer playoff. And getting less than its 6 home games (or body bag games) revenues.

8 isn't perfect but it's about the best we can do without having to upend the regular season too.

16 is entirely too many teams logistically, a month of playoffs and up to 17 games (18-19 weeks) for student athletes. And I'm not interested in my team playing less than its 12-13 games to account for a shorter regular season and longer playoff. And getting less than its 6 home games (or body bag games) revenues.

8 isn't perfect but it's about the best we can do without having to upend the regular season too.

What authoritative bodies would have to approve / ratify an idea like this to get it in place? Is this proposal an NCAA thing, or under the CFP committee's purview? Would each conference have to vote on this as well? Someone on here mentioned earlier that anti-trust laws would prohibit reducing the number of playoff eligible teams to around 40 or 50; I hope that's true. I don't like the idea of the little teams with big hearts like TU getting shafted someday and crap teams like Mississippi State / Georgia Tech getting a shot just due to conference alignment.

This .....because it gives all P5 champs a spot with three wildcards. One spot reserved for G5.

GO TU!!!

Basketball has 300 teams with 64+ in the bracket; 20%.

128 footfall teams. 20% = 25, thus 32 for a full bracket.
Basketball and football are different beasts. You realistically cannot play more than 1 round of games in a week, where in basketball you can easily do 2 in a weekend. Even hockey plays 2 rounds in a single weekend.

As for the 16, you can easily go back to 11 regular season games with the possibility of a conference championship game for a 12th and then do 4 weeks of playoffs and keep the bowl system intact. 15 bowl games would get designated as your playoff. That leaves 20+ bowls to take the rest of the also ran bowl eligible teams and eliminating the 5 win teams from bowl contention.

One rule: You are not allowed to play an FCS team and be considered for an at-large bid to the playoff. If you play an FCS team then you'd better win your conference. This SEC bye week 10 weeks into the season where just about everyone plays a low level FCS scrimmage is ridiculous. If you're the best conference like you claim, play all FBS opponents.

Reactions: TUMe
I don't want to lose a regular season game for 100+ of the FBS teams. The also ran P5 teams sure as heck aren't giving up a home game payday.

As it stands, the regular season still means something. Keep it that way. Regular season NCAA hoops has gotten so watered down in terms of significance. Who cares until March?

I also don't need to see Alabama roll through 4 weeks of playoffs on top of a regular season and SEC championship. KILL ME NOW.

One iota of a chance for one more little guy every once in awhile isn't worth any of that. 8 is enough.

Reactions: Glasscain
Every addition of another round of playoffs takes away the consequence, meaning, and tradition($) of bowl games. 32 will never happen. 16 is not real likely. I can eventually see it getting increased to 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty0912
I think every conference champion deserves a spot! Need at least 11 spots to make it happen and the P5 will want more than 1 extra spot. I could live with 16 but prefer 32 with every conference champion getting a home game in round 1. Imagine if TU won the American and Arkansas did not win the SEC and was forced to play in Tulsa - Started to make a Frank Broyles joke but since he is very ill I will pass!

GO TU!!!!

He agrees:

oklahoma-state-fan.png

So if Navy rolls on Saturday and winds up ahead of WMU, is the Cotton Bowl really going to wait until Army-Navy to fill the G5 slot?

I get that every game matters. But Army-Navy stands alone for a reason and I think a lot of us like that it does. But schools and fans and bowl sponsors and communities are going to be in a costly bind if Temple doesn't win Saturday and that's ridiculous.

If this is a how it has to be and reasonable exceptions cannot be figured out if and when it's an issue then Army-Navy needs to be moved up in the future.

Waiting it out screws up a lot of things. Only potential beneficiary really is Western Michigan in that scenario.

This is a dilemma the CFP never thought they'd have to deal with. Essentially the whole G5 thing was let's appease Boise St and give them a NY6 game every year as there was little change anyone else was going to get it. Then there was UCF and they won (BCS), then Houston (and they won) and then the AAC got real damn good. You have 2 AAC teams with 2 and 3 losses in the top 25 of the CFP and 3 more on the verge of being in the top 25 (and who probably deserve to be there). Nobody ever thought Navy would be in this mix and who traditionally plays an almost no implications game (with regards to CFP) after all the rest of the bowl bids are announced (can't call it meaningless...know people who are Army and Navy who would argue vehemently that this is the only game that matters to those 2 institutions).

I get that every game matters. But Army-Navy stands alone for a reason and I think a lot of us like that it does. But schools and fans and bowl sponsors and communities are going to be in a costly bind if Temple doesn't win Saturday and that's ridiculous.

If this is a how it has to be and reasonable exceptions cannot be figured out if and when it's an issue then Army-Navy needs to be moved up in the future.

Waiting it out screws up a lot of things. Only potential beneficiary really is Western Michigan in that scenario.
Suggest moving the Army-Navy game from the 2nd Saturday in December to anyone affiliated with the Army/Navy/Marine Corps regardless of whether or not they actually attended either of the academies and see what response you will get...Navy will withdraw from the AAC before they entertain moving that game.

Too bad.

Know who has the most to lose here? The AAC. The easy way out is ensuring WMU is ranked highest and extending them the CB bid.

There's been a lot of talk about holding a spot for Western Michigan in the Armed Forces Bowl if they get bumped from the Cotton. That would likely lock us out of the chance to play in Fort Worth.

There's been a lot of talk about holding a spot for Western Michigan in the Armed Forces Bowl if they get bumped from the Cotton. That would likely lock us out of the chance to play in Fort Worth.
Which wouldn't be a big deal because it doesn't look the Big 12 will fill their bowl spots. Most projections I've seen have a CUSA team filling in for the Big 12. Id rather play a CUSA team in Florida than in Dallas.

Yeah, not great news for TU but it would eliminate the paralysis. Place everyone else besides Navy and WM if needed and one goes to Cotton, one goes to Armed Forces.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Which wouldn't be a big deal because it doesn't look the Big 12 will fill their bowl spots. Most projections I've seen have a CUSA team filling in for the Big 12. Id rather play a CUSA team in Florida than in Dallas.

ESPN would find a Big 10 or Big 12 opponent for Navy/WMU if the decide to go that route.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Yep, the B-12 has 8 tie-ins and only six bowl eligible teams (5 if Baylor decides to sit this one out). Texas is in line to be a 5-7 team going bowling but I don't know if they get to go to a tie-in bowl or end up in like the Cure Bowl.

If paralysis means a better bowl for us and the conference, then it needs to happen.

I can't imagine what having to wait for navy would be like. The teams usually know where they're going by this point in the week if they don't have to play in a conference championship game.

I like talking in hypotheticals as much as everyone: I am 100% certain if Houston was undefeated they'd be 5th in CFP poll and miss out. No doubt about it.

Disagree with me? Prove it. I'll wait.

Well it's impossible to "prove" it obviously.

But UW has a loss. And a single top 25 win compared to 2 top 15 UH wins already (not just giving it to them bc of an undefeated scenario...Houston beat OU and Louisville in the real world). Houston's problem now would be a remaining game against unranked Temple vs UW and Colorado.

Undefeated UH resume is indefensibly a better resume than 1 loss UW right now, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm entirely too literal after a little fireball. :p

Some talking heads I have never seen (including one called Booger) were railing a bit on UW and their "hot garbage" OOC earlier tonight and it's sticking with me.

Of course they also were talking about all the discontent out of Norman which I haven't seen from OU friends at ALL about not being in the playoff discussion.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I'm entirely too literal after a little fireball. :p

Some talking heads I have never seen (including one called Booger) were railing a bit on UW earlier tonight and it's sticking with me.

If I'm being honest I agree with you and lawpoke from earlier, Houston had the perfect storm and the wins that if they won out could not have been left out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT