ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Phipps Decommits

Man.. some of the stuff on this thread is not a good look at all. Keep in mind just because they open up recruitment doesnt mean we are out of the running. Completely ragging on him, his family, and one of his best friends and his family doesn’t come off too well. I know for a fact both of their families see this stuff.. wouldn’t be surprised if they do too.

When’s the last time a guy did this and stayed with TU? He gone.

Reactions: TU_BLA
No need to pile on the kid. Its a free country after all and everyone has the right to do what they consider is in their best interests. And, yes, its very disappointing.

Regarding the comment that TU cannot build a team with transfers, I disagree. The transfers who committed to TU are very talented and we are very fortunate they chose TU. If TU continues recruiting to the level of this class, good things will be happening on the floor.

No need to pile on the kid. Its a free country after all and everyone has the right to do what they consider is in their best interests. And, yes, its very disappointing.

Regarding the comment that TU cannot build a team with transfers, I disagree. The transfers who committed to TU are very talented and we are very fortunate they chose TU. If TU continues recruiting to the level of this class, good things will be happening on the floor.
Let's hope so. It seems to be the case on paper but we need some immediate breakthrough success.

Doesn't it also go the other way too? Kid A commits, but the school continues to recruit others and if better players commit, kid A could be left out.

Reactions: Clong83a
Man.. some of the stuff on this thread is not a good look at all. Keep in mind just because they open up recruitment doesnt mean we are out of the running. Completely ragging on him, his family, and one of his best friends and his family doesn’t come off too well. I know for a fact both of their families see this stuff.. wouldn’t be surprised if they do too.
I was kind of concerned about that too.

Phipps is a player... and one that I would have been extremely happy to have in our uniform. I know the hole process can be skeazy sometimes... I just wish it could work out with him. (And Thompson)

I’m trying to remember when a kid decommitted from Tulsa Basketball and then signed with TU at signing date. Can’t remember one.

We bagged on Doudney and his mom. Doudney went to a lesser program at that time. This thread is nothing like that. There is some legitimate frustration and criticism here, and not even with the player. Why do we do early commitments if this what happens? There must have been 10 of these in football and basketball in the last 10 years. It’s getting old.

We bagged on Doudney and his mom. Doudney went to a lesser program at that time. This thread is nothing like that. There is some legitimate frustration and criticism here, and not even with the player. Why do we do early commitments if this what happens? There must have been 10 of these in football and basketball in the last 10 years. It’s getting old.

This.

Reactions: Gold*
No one is wishing ill will towards the kid, but everyone here is sick and tired of local kids pulling this crap.
I've been pretty consistent in my criticism of kids using a word they don't understand the meaning of and I'll stand by that. If that offends a kid, a mom, or a dad, then so be it. We need to get back to the values of keeping our words. Whatever happened to "My word is my bond"?

But Doudney decommitted because Buzz left. Those situations are a little more understandable. And the football ones are even worse because we're losing potential difference makers that committed early. The QB from Kansas, Tahj Brooks...those guys are difference makers. And the UNC kid is sitting the bench doing nothing. Brooks is going to be all Big XII. Matt Wells got himself a player.

I've been pretty consistent in my criticism of kids using a word they don't understand the meaning of and I'll stand by that.

I think you should be critical of the coaches and D1 athletics and not the kids. The word commitment in athletics doesn't mean what the dictionary says. It hasn't for at least my entire life time.

Reactions: noble cane
I've been pretty consistent in my criticism of kids using a word they don't understand the meaning of and I'll stand by that. If that offends a kid, a mom, or a dad, then so be it. We need to get back to the values of keeping our words. Whatever happened to "My word is my bond"?

I don’t disagree but if 50 year old coaches and billion dollar universities ran by multi-millionaires don’t understand the meaning of the word as well then I’m not sure the majority of the blame lies with the teenager.

I don’t disagree but if 50 year old coaches and billion dollar universities ran by multi-millionaires don’t understand the meaning of the word as well then I’m not sure the majority of the blame lies with the teenager.

The school is honoring its commitment to all students. I’m surprised of your comments in light of your numerous comments over the years about market economics.

I dated a musical theater major. I’m good with that program not happening anymore at TU. Remember that reject who sued the school and lost? Guess what he majored in?

The school is honoring its commitment to all students. I’m surprised of your comments in light of your numerous comments over the years about market economics.

I dated a musical theater major. I’m good with that program not happening anymore at TU. Remember that reject who sued the school and lost? Guess what he majored in?

I was referring to college athletics in general not TU. I purposely did not refer to TU in the post. I do not believe that TU plays by the same guidelines or principals when it comes to athletics specifically student athletes as many of the P5 schools where football and basketball contribute $100M plus to the schools’ coffers. It’s strictly a business for those guys.

As far as TU’s new direction and the elimination of some liberal arts studies, while I hate to see those programs go I do understand the direction and goals trying to be achieved. My hope is that we can become one of the leading STEM related institutions in the country and build not only a national but global reputation which will safeguard are standing as an elite university as well provide financial security for years to come.

I tend to have a very pragmatic approach to most things in life. Drives the wife nuts most of the time.

Last edited:

You danced around the answer... money... this kid is merely a means to a buck at OU or anywhere else..

I think you should be critical of the coaches and D1 athletics and not the kids. The word commitment in athletics doesn't mean what the dictionary says. It hasn't for at least my entire life time.

These kids are encouraged to commit to the first name school that offers.. its like getting a good yelp review for your curveball.. or in this case your jumpshot.. the moment you list that commitment suddenly you get more interest.. in baseball all you need to look at is fivetool, perfect game, pbr, diamond king, etc... the commits get all the social media attention.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
You danced around the answer... money... this kid is merely a means to a buck at OU or anywhere else..

There is zero doubt that college athletics is a business at almost every P5 school. There’s a rea$on these schools are paying their coaches millions of dollars per year.

Can I just remind everybody of something no one has mentioned? Something I think affecting our recruitment of Bryce as well.

Haith (therefore by default Shea) may not be coaching here in 2020-2021. His contract is structured to make it easy for either him or the school to cut and run.

We all know this is a must win year for him. The kids (Bryce and Trey) dad's get the coaching world, they know how it works.

Nothing says they can't still sign with Tulsa, there are no negatives from reopening recruiting, and a good deal of positives if you're worried the guy who has shown early and consistent interest in you may be replaced by a guy in a completely different system and whom you have no relationship with.

From their point of view this is a smart move.

Can I just remind everybody of something no one has mentioned? Something I think affecting our recruitment of Bryce as well.

Haith (therefore by default Shea) may not be coaching here in 2020-2021. His contract is structured to make it easy for either him or the school to cut and run.

We all know this is a must win year for him. The kids (Bryce and Trey) dad's get the coaching world, they know how it works.

Nothing says they can't still sign with Tulsa, there are no negatives from reopening recruiting, and a good deal of positives if you're worried the guy who has shown early and consistent interest in you may be replaced by a guy in a completely different system and whom you have no relationship with.

Which is exactly why I was livid that they renewed Haith because it was clear he was on the hotseat and recruiting was going to be even harder for him. I would have preferred to have made a splash hire who might have been able to lure these kids in, especially if the new guy chose to retain Shea for his connections to Bryce / Trey.

It was an open secret that his job is on the line. No one wants to play for that guy.

Even with a sub par season, Haith would not be let go in 2020 or 2021 if he got a commitment from Bryce. It would be Bryce's junior or senior year with a couple of continued sub par seasons, before they would consider letting Haith go. And that would depend on what they do with his contract between now and then.

Which is exactly why I was livid that they renewed Haith because it was clear he was on the hotseat and recruiting was going to be even harder for him. I would have preferred to have made a splash hire who might have been able to lure these kids in, especially if the new guy chose to retain Shea for his connections to Bryce / Trey.

It was an open secret that his job is on the line. No one wants to play for that guy.
Can't let it go...

Actually, with the NCAA's new lax rules regarding transfers and even getting out of LOIs, I don't think this is much of an issue. In the last couple of years, many of the LOI instances of kids wanting out due to a coaching change and going somewhere else and being immediately eligible have almost all been approved.

Even with a sub par season, Haith would not be let go in 2020 or 2021 if he got a commitment from Bryce. It would be Bryce's junior or senior year with a couple of continued sub par seasons, before they would consider letting Haith go. And that would depend on what they do with his contract between now and then.
There are no guarantees of that. I mean, you and I know that... but it's not exactly the most stable looking situation for a recruit when he's getting looks from coaches that have won their conference year in and year out and have been successful at their schools for decades.

Also, you would think as a top 20 recruit, Bryce is probably looking at his own NBA potential and judging which school might be best for that. Now, I think that it wouldn't really matter where he went considering how good he is.... but I'm sure that's not what Kansas, UNC, and MSU are telling him.

There are no guarantees of that. I mean, you and I know that... but it's not exactly the most stable looking situation for a recruit when he's getting looks from coaches that have won their conference year in and year out and have been successful at their schools for decades.

Also, you would think as a top 20 recruit, Bryce is probably looking at his own NBA potential and judging which school might be best for that. Now, I think that it wouldn't really matter where he went considering how good he is.... but I'm sure that's not what Kansas, UNC, and MSU are telling him.
Of course their are no guarantees, but you and I both know they wouldn't can Haith for the first couple of years after a commitment of local 5 star Bryce, son of TU alumni Rod Thompson.

I agree with you on Bryce being fine anywhere, so do Rod and Shea I'm sure. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard for Haith to convince other recruits of that, regardless of what other coaches say.

Last edited:

It literally doesn't matter where they play when they become draft eligible. If it did NBA scouts would push kids to play in specific leagues in college and since it is likely the one and done rule is going away, the scouts will find players in HS across the country who they'll take a chance on because of the potential. NBA scouts find talent where it is. Wasn't the #2 pick in the draft was from Murray State? Cam Payne also went to Murray State and was the #8 pick. NBA scouts scour the earth for talent. And with every game on TV there is no shortage of game film from any potential prospect.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It literally doesn't matter where they play when they become draft eligible. If it did NBA scouts would push kids to play in specific leagues in college and since it is likely the one and done rule is going away, the scouts will find players in HS across the country who they'll take a chance on because of the potential. NBA scouts find talent where it is. Wasn't the #2 pick in the draft was from Murray State? Cam Payne also went to Murray State and was the #8 pick. NBA scouts scour the earth for talent. And with every game on TV there is no shortage of game film from any potential prospect.
I agree. CJ McCollum, Steph Curry, Dame Lillard, Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are some other examples. I mean hell... Scotty Pippen went to Central Arkansas for god sakes.

I agree. CJ McCollum, Steph Curry, Dame Lillard, Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are some other examples. I mean hell... Scotty Pippen went to Central Arkansas for god sakes.
It was more rare back in Pippen's day when there wasn't as much media coverage except for the big name schools, but with all the film out there even for kids in HS, that argument doesn't quite hold as much water anymore. If you can play, they will find you. Pretty much goes for every sport too.

That dude and his boyfriend are beyond messed up. I’m not sure I’ve ever witnessed someone so crazy.

Speak of the devil... according to local news today, that dude’s boyfriend shot a process server who was trying to serve an eviction notice last night. Guy’s a nutcase.

Speak of the devil... according to local news today, that dude’s boyfriend shot a process server who was trying to serve an eviction notice last night. Guy’s a nutcase.
This is pure gold! His response to the news report:

“I'm officially entering the race for US Senate and challenging Jim Inhoffe. Its time to have someone in our US Senate who not only supports the 1st amendment and the 2nd amendment, but isn't afraid to stand their ground and exercise both it it comes to it.”

Actually, with the NCAA's new lax rules regarding transfers and even getting out of LOIs, I don't think this is much of an issue. In the last couple of years, many of the LOI instances of kids wanting out due to a coaching change and going somewhere else and being immediately eligible have almost all been approved.

Those rules have already changed and look likely to become more strict in the near future.

They're also both from Tulsa so they couldn't use closer to family, family emergency which both get through pretty easy.

I'm not saying there aren't other solutions to the issue, only that it's a issue that seemed largely overlooked in the thread but one that is important. Opening up recruitment isn't a bad move. Haith isn't telling either one no if they decide they want to stay home.

Of course a strong season and NCAA appearence means Haith stays, or if he leaves that Shea will be a strong canadite. Easy for Bryce or Trey to say yes then if they want. Low risk and high return.

Those rules have already changed and look likely to become more strict in the near future.

They're also both from Tulsa so they couldn't use closer to family, family emergency which both get through pretty easy.

I'm not saying there aren't other solutions to the issue, only that it's a issue that seemed largely overlooked in the thread but one that is important. Opening up recruitment isn't a bad move. Haith isn't telling either one no if they decide they want to stay home.

Of course a strong season and NCAA appearence means Haith stays, or if he leaves that Shea will be a strong canadite. Easy for Bryce or Trey to say yes then if they want. Low risk and high return.
My point was more along the lines of the NCAA being more lax when it comes to kids transferring because of a coaching change. And trust me, if they committed here and Haith were fired, they could probably still find their way to Texas Tech, OU, OSU, Arkansas, or Kansas and the NCAA would find a way to make them immediately eligible.

And don't forget Dennis Rodman... he went to North Central Texas before transferring to Southeastern Oklahoma State.

How about the pride of French Lick?
This story always pisses off non-Celtics fans. Red Auerbach drafted Larry Bird after his JR season in Terre Haute and the Celtics retained his rights until the 1979 draft whereas Boston had to sign him before the draft officially started. Different rules back then. But shortly after Red Auerbach gigged the system, the NBA made the rule that underclassmen had to declare for the draft to be eligible (sometimes referred to the Bird rule). And remember, Bird started at Indiana and he couldn't hack Bobby Knight's abrasiveness. He would have been on the 1976 Championship team with Quinn Buckner had he not left school after a month because the small-town rube found Bloomington too busy (anyone who has been to Bloomington knows it's a larger version of Stillwater, maybe a College Station at best...not a place I would consider large or busy).

And don't forget Dennis Rodman... he went to North Central Texas before transferring to Southeastern Oklahoma State.
I actually met a family member of the family Rodman stayed with in Durant. He has credited them with saving his life on numerous occasions for helping him stick with school and such. She actually was a student at TU the same time I was there. Interesting story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT