ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Phipps Decommits

I feel like he’s going to end up at OSU. Really unfortunate for us because he would be a great fit for TU

Wow....got an offer from somebody. OSU would have to miss on a number of 2020 recruits (which is possible) to have room. Missing on Phipps shouldn’t effect our recruitment of Bryce. Bungling his dad’s hire does.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
There went my "He comes from a good family and they would never go back on a commitment" thing. I guess the family is not what I thought. The Thompson family will go wherever Bryce commits....You can take that to the bank.
There was obviously some tampering with the commitment so we will soon find out who.

No one else would give Trey a sniff two years ago except Haith. This is what Frank gets in return. I said you almost never see this in basketball as coaches respect each other but football is ruining the whole business of athletics with its spillover of de-committments.

Disappointed, but expected event. Nobody holds onto their commitment when they explode like he has. When it really matters the coaches don't honor their 'code'.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
There went my "He comes from a good family and they would never go back on a commitment" thing. I guess the family is not what I thought. The Thompson family will go wherever Bryce commits....You can take that to the bank.
There was obviously some tampering with the commitment so we will soon find out who.

No one else would give Trey a sniff two years ago except Haith. This is what Frank gets in return. I said you almost never see this in basketball as coaches respect each other but football is ruining the whole business of athletics with its spillover of de-committments.

I’ve also heard some not so positive things about Phipps himself, but those will come out in due time.

If Trey played at TU, I would support him 100%. If he plays anywhere else that drops to 0%.

The kid and his family are.....
Well....

Pay back the $100k or so Tulsa spent on you and we’ll be almost square.

Hope he wallows in regret.

This has to be one of the most frustrating parts about college basketball and football. We go out and recruit the crap out of a kid that no one gives to shats about and he commits, then he suddenly gets some interest from a “bigger name” program and he’s on the first train out of town.

Reactions: I.I. and Gmoney4WW
very disappointing. I hope he changes his mind or if not, goes out of State.

Its funny.. our travel ball coach gave a talk about this issue to parents and players a while back..

His take was athletes need to look out for themselves because "coaches lie" ,funny because he is a former D1 BSB HC, but also not funny just because of that.

Coaches will make offers, rescind offers, recruit over, attempt to keep you from competitors, promise playing time, yada, yada, yada..

His recommendation: when you get that offer, commit to it, lock it in and then look for a better one. You know you have that one in your back pocket now go get the one you want.

Does it sting? Maybe.. maybe not..

The real issue is with the NCAA and its signing day. End national signing day. Let coaches put the contract in front of the kid the day it is offered. Let them sign it that day. If the kid passes, well, good to know.

More the lack of $ commitment to athletics

I don't think Trey cares or knows about any commitment or lack thereof to athletics. The basketball team takes charter flights and has first class facilities. He is just hearing from all his buddies "why are you going to Tulsa?"

Peer pressure and other college assistants telling him he is "better than Tulsa" did the trick. His parents didn't seem to help either when they could have told him at the beginning not to commit to Coach Haith if you are not going through with it. TU not only spent tons of money recruiting him before and after the commit, but it kept TU from recruiting similar athletes with 2-3 months to go before signing date.

Its funny.. our travel ball coach gave a talk about this issue to parents and players a while back..

His take was athletes need to look out for themselves because "coaches lie" ,funny because he is a former D1 BSB HC, but also not funny just because of that.

Coaches will make offers, rescind offers, recruit over, attempt to keep you from competitors, promise playing time, yada, yada, yada..

His recommendation: when you get that offer, commit to it, lock it in and then look for a better one. You know you have that one in your back pocket now go get the one you want.

The real issue is with the NCAA and its signing day. End national signing day. Let coaches put the contract in front of the kid the day it is offered. Let them sign it that day. If the kid passes, well, good to know.
Course that would lend to more transfers. But at least the athlete would have to decide whether the transfer was worth giving up the transfer year not playing in games.

Course that would lend to more transfers. But at least the athlete would have to decide whether the transfer was worth giving up the transfer year not playing in games.

The problem is that we’re now seeing a lot of kids who transfer are immediate eligible. We’re being hard on 17 year old kids who change there mind from a non binding commitment but are all too happy to take a 19 or 20 year old kid who bails on their school after signing a scholarship. Assume because the latter helps us while the former hurts ?

The real issue is with the NCAA and its signing day. End national signing day.

Let coaches put the contract in front of the kid the day it is offered. Let them sign it that day. If the kid passes, well, good to know.
Think your spot on with this post!

I hope the travel coach also gave a talk on character and not committing to something you can't or won't follow through with. (I love the idea of them signing on the line the day or within a agreed upon number of days.) If coach didn't, and that's the norm among youth coaches, then that outlook is as big of a problem. Somebody has to be the example, and it sounds like he's discouraging parents from doing so.

I just wasn't raised to work a bait and switch scheme.

It's no wonder the NBA wants to get the most elite kids right out of high school. AAU, etc. wearing their bodies out, piss poor influences around them, and college coaches with their own agendas.... at least if they can go the NBA route their getting paid.

You forget.. im a proponent of an open transfer policy with no penalty across the board in the NCAA.. if softball and non revenue sports have that option then all sports should have it..

Think your spot on with this post!

I hope the travel coach also gave a talk on character and not committing to something you can't or won't follow through with. (I love the idea of them signing on the line the day or within a agreed upon number of days.) If coach didn't, and that's the norm among youth coaches, then that outlook is as big of a problem. Somebody has to be the example, and it sounds like he's discouraging parents from doing so.

I just wasn't raised to work a bait and switch scheme.

It's no wonder the NBA wants to get the most elite kids right out of high school. AAU, etc. wearing their bodies out, piss poor influences around them, and college coaches with their own agendas.... at least if they can go the NBA route their getting paid.

Our travel ball coach is a very well known former D1 coach.. his take on commitment was basically that there is none.. neither from the coach. the player, or the university.. a harsh reality.. you want commitment go play D3 where there is no money...

You forget.. im a proponent of an open transfer policy with no penalty across the board in the NCAA.. if softball and non revenue sports have that option then all sports should have it..
I was going by all the other rules in existence with only that one changing. Anyway your point is if they made that decision then they should have to stick to it for a year, and then they can change it on demand, with no penalty? Woh is the people who change their mind often or who let themselves be affected by those around them very easily. They could be at five different schools for their academic tour of eligibility.

I was going by all the other rules in existence with only that one changing. Anyway your point is if they made that decision then they should have to stick to it for a year, and then they can change it on demand, with no penalty? Woh is the people who change their mind often or who let themselves be affected by those around them very easily. They could be at five different schools for their academic tour of eligibility.

A proposal I most recently heard is to allow for 1 open transfer per athlete after that one transfer then any subsequent transfer requires sitting out a year. As part of this proposal, it would remove any exceptions for the NCAA to evaluate.

I'm unsure how likely it is to come to fruition but it seems much better to me than the current standard of must sit, unless there's an exception (and said exception seems to only apply when transferring to a big-time program).

Reactions: ctt8410 and TU_BLA

And that should be their right.

A proposal I most recently heard is to allow for 1 open transfer per athlete after that one transfer then any subsequent transfer requires sitting out a year. As part of this proposal, it would remove any exceptions for the NCAA to evaluate.

I'm unsure how likely it is to come to fruition but it seems much better to me than the current standard of must sit, unless there's an exception (and said exception seems to only apply when transferring to a big-time program).
So that just delays the disappointment and aggravation of the money loss of a program's recruiting budget expenditure for one year. It also affects the program in a more serious way because they have to adjust on the court for the existence and then non-existence of that player. You might as well just release them from the contract and let them open their recruiting up because the other possibility is a worse bet than Kawhi did we count on him being here next year.

Seconded. Restrict it to an open transfer period for a couple weeks if necessary, but stop using the NCAA’s random arbitration machine to decide these exceptions.

Let the anarchy begin.
And that is the sickening reality and truly disgusting. Should I be surprised? No, it’s just a reflection of the degradation within society and the long term outlook is pretty much shizz if that is the compass every facet of society is going to follow.

Who the hell cares about transfer rules?

We can't even get these kids to sign so they can be good enough at Tulsa to get poached by another program (like Clarkson + Haith at Mizzou).

With Haith building entire teams from transfers at this point, I’d argue transfer rules are pretty darn important.
Trying to recruit only the castoffs from other schools isn't a good way to build a program. It doesn't matter if the castoffs sit a year or don't sit a year. What's a bigger problem is not being able to recruit the kids that aren't actually castoffs, and especially the kids that are local to you who are less likely to transfer somewhere else.

I might care about transfer rules a bit more if we had young players that were good enough to be highly touted transfers instead of bench warming dismissals, (or grad transfers).

Last edited:
If he goes to OU, that's his dad's alma mater. I just thought he/his dad wanted to be here for the degree. I hope all this academic crap going on here is not an influential part of why he went somewhere else.

If he goes to OU, that's his dad's alma mater. I just thought he/his dad wanted to be here for the degree. I hope all this academic crap going on here is not an influential part of why he went somewhere else.

OU is his mother's alma mater as well fwiw.

Trying to recruit only the castoffs from other schools isn't a good way to build a program. It doesn't matter if the castoffs sit a year or don't sit a year. What's a bigger problem is not being able to recruit the kids that aren't actually castoffs, and especially the kids that are local to you who are less likely to transfer somewhere else.

I might care about transfer rules a bit more if we had young players that were good enough to be highly touted transfers instead of bench warming dismissals, (or grad transfers).

You asked a question, and ctt answered why we were discussing transfer rules. And then you change the subject into why you dislike Haith... nobody is surprised.

You asked a question, and ctt answered why we were discussing transfer rules. And then you change the subject into why you dislike Haith... nobody is surprised.
The question I asked was rhetorical. As in, "there is no reason for us to care about transfer rules when none of our transfers have been good enough to push us into postseason play and we're taking them because we can't recruit top quality HS kids"

You see anarchy. I see a free market.. i see a system where schools build programs where kids want to stay..

Amen!!!! And, I also see the 1st amendment... and, I can gleefully say that I'd like to see this kid become an incredible bust now.

Amen!!!! And, I also see the 1st amendment... and, I can gleefully say that I'd like to see this kid become an incredible bust now.

Depends on where he goes. He would have been a perfect fit here. Maybe also at Davidson and some other D-1 schools. But not at Arkansas, Kentucky, or Auburn type schools.

Conley Phipps graduated from Northeastern State in Tahlequah ...spent his first two years at OU with no playing time . This is exactly what will happen to Trey Phipps who now thinks he’s too good for Tulsa U. , just like Bryce Thompson who thinks he’s “ALL WORLD”. Trey Phipps is a spot up “Horse” shooter that will not be able to create his own shot off the dribble with a D1 guard on him , Trey and Bryce believe they’re a lot better than they are....time will tell .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT