ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Phipps Decommits

Conley Phipps graduated from Northeastern State in Tahlequah ...spent his first two years at OU with no playing time . This is exactly what will happen to Trey Phipps who now thinks he’s too good for Tulsa U. , just like Bryce Thompson who thinks he’s “ALL WORLD”. Trey Phipps is a spot up “Horse” shooter that will not be able to create his own shot off the dribble with a D1 guard on him , Trey and Bryce believe they’re a lot better than they are....time will tell .
Believe me , neither one of these kids could hold Steve Harris’ jock strap .

Believe me , neither one of these kids could hold Steve Harris’ jock strap .
By the way , Rod Thompson isn’t all that he appears in public . Lost his “influence “ over the Boone twins who he thought he could parlay for personal gain and blamed Coach Bobby Allison at Memorial for undermining him . Coach Allison got thrown under the bus with recruiting accusations when Rod Thompson ran over to Gil Cloud’s office with unfounded slander . To hell with Rod Thompson and Gil Cloud , who by the way has been “Run Off” from every job he’s ever had .

By the way , Rod Thompson isn’t all that he appears in public . Lost his “influence “ over the Boone twins who he thought he could parlay for personal gain and blamed Coach Bobby Allison at Memorial for undermining him . Coach Allison got thrown under the bus with recruiting accusations when Rod Thompson ran over to Gil Cloud’s office with unfounded slander . To hell with Rod Thompson and Gil Cloud , who by the way has been “Run Off” from every job he’s ever had .

Allison out at Memorial?

Former charger wants to know..

This is why I think it's ridiculous to get giddy when a 15 or 16 year old pizzaface phoenom commits to a school. So many times they back out or change when they start to get noticed. Who was that "can't miss" qb that committed to Montgomery a couple of years ago? Where is he now?

I'd prefer to be pleasantly surprised, like when Charles Clay signed on NLOI day.

Today, I'm almost as crestfallen as I was when Ernest Norman decommitted. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Reactions: Clong83a
Some really silly things being said here. I’m disappointed he isn’t coming to TU because I think he could have been a hell of a player for us but slamming him and Bryce as thinking they’re better than they are discounts they fact that recruiting services are ranking Thompson as a 5 star and they have competed well against high schools best in big tourneys.

Allison out at Memorial?

Former charger wants to know..
No , but he’s now under Gil Cloud’s watchful “Stink Eye” and has to take some ridiculous sensitivity “I Will Not Recruit Classes “ to appease Mr. Stink Eye . Stink Eye got run off at Union High and Northeastern State before getting the TPS athletic . At 72 years of age that alone tells you something about this egotistical tool . Bobby Allison is a great coach and a good person who is hated by TPS coaches , especially Edison’s Mike Parrish because they can’t take getting their butts kicked yearly . The only coach in TPS that appreciates Coach Allison is Conley Phipps who by the way is realistic about Bryce Thompson’s lofty goals of playing for college programs above his ability. These two BTW high school players are perfect examples of kids every year that sign with programs where they sit on the bench or get minimal court time when they could be developing their craft at place like Tulsa University and play meaningful minutes , not scrub minutes. I hate to tell them but a degree from Tulsa University carries a lot more weight than OU or OSU , but they’re not mature enough to consider that angle. By the way, The sky is the limit if your good enough no matter what conference you’re in .

“5 star player isn’t as good as he thinks he is”

It’s possible that’s true, but then it would really be “5 star player isn’t as good as every basketball coach in America thinks he is.”

Conley Phipps graduated from Northeastern State in Tahlequah ...spent his first two years at OU with no playing time . This is exactly what will happen to Trey Phipps who now thinks he’s too good for Tulsa U. , just like Bryce Thompson who thinks he’s “ALL WORLD”. Trey Phipps is a spot up “Horse” shooter that will not be able to create his own shot off the dribble with a D1 guard on him , Trey and Bryce believe they’re a lot better than they are....time will tell .
Yeah, he didn't quite have what it takes to make it at OU, had to finish at NSU. Hopefully that's not the case with Trey. I believe Trey's rep coming out of high school is better than Conley's. But I might be wrong on that. Being in the middle of it at the high school, it was hard to know how much was local hype, and real live rep. Also wasn't into high school recruiting enough then to know for sure how good his rep was.

Yeah, he didn't quite have what it takes to make it at OU, had to finish at NSU. Hopefully that's not the case with Trey. I believe Trey's rep coming out of high school is better than Conley's. But I might be wrong on that. Being in the middle of it at the high school, it was hard to know how much was local hype, and real live rep. Also wasn't into high school recruiting enough then to know for sure how good his rep was.
Conley was Ken Hayes assistant at Northeastern and was runner-up to Larry Gibson when he got The Northeastern head job. I shouldn’t be talking down any high school kid who I don’t know and for that I stand corrected, but I’m tired of TU’s runner-up status. Where are the local players who want to make their mark at a smaller school like TU and be successful at getting TU into the tournament every year ? Why not be a difference maker at Tulsa instead of running down to SMU ...is it all about “getting out of town” ?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Depends on where he goes. He would have been a perfect fit here. Maybe also at Davidson and some other D-1 schools. But not at Arkansas, Kentucky, or Auburn type schools.
Haith's system is absolutely perfect for a shooter like this.

If Bryce picks OU or OSU over us, I'll be pissed. If he picks Michigan St, Kansas, or UNC, that's a little different story. I'd be disappointed but those are top 10 national programs (top 5 probably). I miss the days where the local kids wanted to play here and make a name here.

I am willing to bet that SMU is on Phipps now and Shake the Traitor probably whispered in his ear last week when Shake held his camp. I'd also be disappointed if Eric Musselman also gave him a call from Arkansas...where they'll finish 10th out of 14 teams for the next 4 years and then run Musselman out of town.

Reactions: canefansincerhome
If I were Haith, I would tell Gragg not to schedule another game with OU as long as Kruger is the coach. I'm not sure TU needed a kid that was simply looking for the next best offer.

It'll be interesting to see if he signs in the early period or if he waits till the second signing period for more offers, regardless of whether he commits to OU.

I always try to remember we are talking about unpaid teenagers. Also, it's hard to hold them to a multi-year commitment when the University typically does no such thing. Career-ending injury in your first season? There goes your scholarship (most of the time, anyhow). I would like to see four year scholarship offers instead of year by year that can be pulled at any time. You want kids to honor their commitment? Make some to them first.

Agree that transfers are overly complicated. I could be convinced to allow every player one freebie, with the exception that the freebie should be to a different conference.

I always try to remember we are talking about unpaid teenagers. Also, it's hard to hold them to a multi-year commitment when the University typically does no such thing. Career-ending injury in your first season? There goes your scholarship (most of the time, anyhow). I would like to see four year scholarship offers instead of year by year that can be pulled at any time. You want kids to honor their commitment? Make some to them first.

Agree that transfers are overly complicated. I could be convinced to allow every player one freebie, with the exception that the freebie should be to a different conference.
If you give them a 4 year guaranteed scholarship then I don't think you would need the freebie too.

I don't know that I've ever seen TU yank scholarships due to injury. I do believe TU honored scholarships for Kodi Maduka and Blondy Baruti after they were forced to retire. I even think they tried to fight through things to keep Donte Medder here when it was apparent he was never playing basketball again. Heck, they even stuck by Ramadi despite his troubles being academic. They stuck by Damaris Johnson on the school side of things despite his legal issue. Now did Haith probably encourage a few guys to leave because they weren't likely to see the playing time they desired, i.e. Travis Atson, probably. But that was also something that probably ended up better for the player in the end.

TU was the 1st to show confidence in Phipps and being a D1 player. They stuck with him for almost 2 years and 3.5 months before early signing, he ditches us. Again, don't use the word commitment if you don't truly understand what it means AND if you do know what it means, don't commit knowing if another offer comes along you're going to bolt. It makes you look bad.

Reactions: canefansincerhome
I don't know that I've ever seen TU yank scholarships due to injury. I do believe TU honored scholarships for Kodi Maduka and Blondy Baruti after they were forced to retire. I even think they tried to fight through things to keep Donte Medder here when it was apparent he was never playing basketball again. Heck, they even stuck by Ramadi despite his troubles being academic. They stuck by Damaris Johnson on the school side of things despite his legal issue. Now did Haith probably encourage a few guys to leave because they weren't likely to see the playing time they desired, i.e. Travis Atson, probably. But that was also something that probably ended up better for the player in the end.

TU was the 1st to show confidence in Phipps and being a D1 player. They stuck with him for almost 2 years and 3.5 months before early signing, he ditches us. Again, don't use the word commitment if you don't truly understand what it means AND if you do know what it means, don't commit knowing if another offer comes along you're going to bolt. It makes you look bad.

I am not saying that TU has been a bad actor in this regard, but at many places it is common. Some guarantee would be a lot better than "Sure we won't recruit over you and try to force you out and/or ditch you if you break your leg." TU might say that and mean it, but other places don't. If you offer a kid, it should be a guarantee of four years, even if they end up hurt or underperforming.

You talk about commitment. I am talking the same thing. It's a two way street.

I am not saying that TU has been a bad actor in this regard, but at many places it is common. Some guarantee would be a lot better than "Sure we won't recruit over you and try to force you out and/or ditch you if you break your leg." TU might say that and mean it, but other places don't. If you offer a kid, it should be a guarantee of four years, even if they end up hurt or underperforming.

That's fair. I am thinking in terms of TU who shows more faith to the athletes than many schools but is very rarely rewarded for it

Only time I ever saw it was my freshman year... a girl on the rowing team had a career ending (knee? back? IDK) injury and she ended up losing hers. Had a good friend who was a women's soccer player who never played because of a knee injury and she stayed there all 4 years.

It's certainly a two way street. We recruit over kids. We over sign and then "encourage" kids to leave the school. We've offered kids scholarships, accepted their commitment and then told them come signing date that there wasn't a ship available for them and they would either have to find another school at this very late date or wait until the following semester to sign. Every school does these things. Let's not pretend that the schools are innocent here or even the victim. They give at least as good as they take.

Only time I ever saw it was my freshman year... a girl on the rowing team had a career ending (knee? back? IDK) injury and she ended up losing hers. Had a good friend who was a women's soccer player who never played because of a knee injury and she stayed there all 4 years.
I am not familiar with the specific case you mentioned but rowing divvies up about 15 scholarships among 35-40 girls. She likely wasn't on a full ride. I'm not saying things like that haven't happened at TU and if they do we probably never hear about most because it's happening in sports that we don't tend to spend a lot of time talking about.

I am not familiar with the specific case you mentioned but rowing divvies up about 15 scholarships among 35-40 girls. She likely wasn't on a full ride. I'm not saying things like that haven't happened at TU and if they do we probably never hear about most because it's happening in sports that we don't tend to spend a lot of time talking about.
I'm sure she wasn't... but taking away even a couple thousand makes a huge difference for some people. I just remember her crying at a party after learning she was going to lose it. Wasn't back the next semester.

If Bryce picks OU or OSU over us, I'll be pissed. If he picks Michigan St, Kansas, or UNC, that's a little different story. I'd be disappointed but those are top 10 national programs (top 5 probably). I miss the days where the local kids wanted to play here and make a name here.

I am willing to bet that SMU is on Phipps now and Shake the Traitor probably whispered in his ear last week when Shake held his camp. I'd also be disappointed if Eric Musselman also gave him a call from Arkansas...where they'll finish 10th out of 14 teams for the next 4 years and then run Musselman out of town.

Even Shake’s teammates thought he was going to OU until the day he announced he wasn’t. I wonder if Phipps will end up there now.

Even Shake’s teammates thought he was going to OU until the day he announced he wasn’t. I wonder if Phipps will end up there now.
Shut up! Don't even go there. I insist SMU will stop stealing recruits from us now....until it happens! :grimace:

Tulsa Football certainly honored Will Hefley's wasted scholarship .

But Will Hefley was a loyal practice player and a big asset for the football program's academic standing. He graduated in four years and is now in Med school at Vanderbilt.
The purpose of a scholarship is to contribute on the field . Will could have gotten an academic scholarship but in my opinion he was a Division 2 talent . Nothing against Will but TU was not a good fit .

Man.. some of the stuff on this thread is not a good look at all. Keep in mind just because they open up recruitment doesnt mean we are out of the running. Completely ragging on him, his family, and one of his best friends and his family doesn’t come off too well. I know for a fact both of their families see this stuff.. wouldn’t be surprised if they do too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT