ADVERTISEMENT

Stay Classy Memphis...

No clue as to her remaining eligibility but I could also see a ban from the NCAA.

Apparently there was an in game incident in which the Memphis player caught an elbow in the face from the player she punched. It's weird that a player in game can nearly decapitate a player and unless a foul is called, nothing happens. Smack someone in the head post game still on the court, and BGSU is filing charges against the Memphis player.

I'm not saying the Memphis player is right...she's not and we all agree on that. But let the rules of sport dole out her punishment as, IMO, the game and the roles of the referees, are not 100% over until the teams have left the court. And if you're wondering if this was a fair outcome for the Memphis player, ask yourself this...if it were the BGSU player who threw the punch, would she be getting charged with assault? I'd be willing to bet there'd be only about a 5% chance the BGSU player would face the same criminal charge.

Reactions: TU 1978
Apparently there was an in game incident in which the Memphis player caught an elbow in the face from the player she punched. It's weird that a player in game can nearly decapitate a player and unless a foul is called, nothing happens. Smack someone in the head post game still on the court, and BGSU is filing charges against the Memphis player.

I'm not saying the Memphis player is right...she's not and we all agree on that. But let the rules of sport dole out her punishment as, IMO, the game and the roles of the referees, are not 100% over until the teams have left the court. And if you're wondering if this was a fair outcome for the Memphis player, ask yourself this...if it were the BGSU player who threw the punch, would she be getting charged with assault? I'd be willing to bet there'd be only about a 5% chance the BGSU player would face the same criminal charge.
I would like to see the elbow. Officials can and will review any contact to the head area. If the Memphis player was “nearly decapitated” there is zero chance the incident wasn’t reviewed. Doesn’t matter if it was seen at the time by an official. If the elbow was intentional the player would have been ejected and not in the player line post game.

I would think any player who threw that punch post game would be charged due the player’s reaction who was hit. Especially since the punch was thrown on the home court of BGSU. Remember the incident this year with the Michigan state player postgame.

Last edited:
Reactions: loca2874
It was a sucker punch by the Memphis player as the BGSU player was turning away. Absolutely no way that the incident could be construed as mutual combat, so to me (the non-legal mind) the assault charge is certainly warranted. If there isn't more accountability for incidents like this then the frequency is going to continue to increase and our distaste for the direction of college sports is going to continue growing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT