ADVERTISEMENT

State of Seqouyah

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
Over the years, the idea of making eastern Oklahoma a state has been tossed around. It never goes anywhere.

I believe statehood for DC and Puerto Rico will be discussed in the next political cycle.

Oklahoma has a massive problem on the horizon with the McGirt decision. The tribes won’t give up sovereignty without something. I’m already seeing Trina jurisdiction pop up in civil lawsuits. I don’t think McGirt considers that at all, but telling a tribal court they can’t act seems like a losing proposition. The trade off with this is that businesses will just quit doing business with tribes entities. I’m aware of banks already doing this. No one wants to go to tribal court if the deal doesn’t work out.

What if there is trade for statehood for for Eastern Oklahoma becoming a state in return for other territories becoming states and eliminating the tribal jurisdiction issues once and for all? There are all sorts of cool ramifications that could come out of this. I’m spit balling here, but that’s what the trons are for.

Reactions: tbryce and TUMe
Your post makes a lot of sense. However, there is one drawback. The DC and PR is based on the Dems wanting to do something to help them in the Electoral College. It makes the most sense if they get both houses along with the White House. Eastern Oklahoma is Republican for the most part. Also, in the past PR has liked it's status just as it is. The counter to that point is that with all the hurricane damage, PR might get more help if they are a state.

Still, it is an interesting idea.

I agree. But there is an issue and one way to solve it is statehood. There are a lot of other reasons it makes sense. We just don’t need this ambiguity. I make my living off complexity and I even think the status who is untenable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT