ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina State Game Thread

I finally got sound just in time for the halftime commercials. Well, we didn’t look particularly good but we have a double digit lead at half. We really need to work on attacking trapping defenses. We’ll see more than one in league play and while they probably won’t trap as much as these guys I would expect it from Nevada. We look like we’re a little afraid to put it up from the top.

We’re having trouble getting into a rythem. There’s talent in every area, but it’s not quite working together yet. If this team can find a rythem, it’ll be some fun basketball.

Agreed. We need to get the ball into the interior against opponents zones. Either on the high post entry pass or guards driving into that space. Seems like we swing the ball around the perimeter too much. So far we’ve been swinging it quickly, which is good, but you beat zones by either getting into those gaps or shooting them out of it.

I finally got sound just in time for the halftime commercials. Well, we didn’t look particularly good but we have a double digit lead at half. We really need to work on attacking trapping defenses. We’ll see more than one in league play and while they probably won’t trap as much as these guys I would expect it from Nevada. We look like we’re a little afraid to put it up from the top.

Halftime stats don’t look that bad. 45% shooting, 4-9 from deep. That doesn’t match what I was watching in my brain.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Halftime stats don’t look that bad. 45% shooting, 4-9 from deep. That doesn’t match what I was watching in my brain.

Yeah, it’s interesting. I’m here at the game and it doesn’t feel like we’re up 17. Guess that’s a good thing that it feels like we’re not playing amazing and we’re still putting it on them pretty good.

Taplin with at least 8 assists and 0 TOs

He’s totally going to get a double-double this year. He is seeing the court very well and almost everyone that plays with him can score off the pass.

Yeah, it’s interesting. I’m here at the game and it doesn’t feel like we’re up 17. Guess that’s a good thing that it feels like we’re not playing amazing and we’re still putting it on them pretty good.
Maybe. We are shooting over 50% from 2 and at 50% from 3. That should win you a lot of games.

Lots of things to work on but we won by 22. Hopefully we’ll play better when we need it. 2-0 which is better than the past.

Held them to 28.1% shooting in the 2nd half while we shot 57.1% overall and from 3

Wasn't able to make it to the game, and had to listen to it intermittently on the radio for both basketball and football. Totally wasn't disappointed that I missed watching the football game. Was irritated that I couldn't go to the basketball game.

Question on the basketball game: Anybody that got to watch it on TV or in person, was Etyan(Sp?) good defensively or not. He was not in the game when we started to get hot, and I want to know if that was a coincidence or not???

Is there a better time to annOunce the firing of your football coach than right after a great basketball win when nobody is paying attention? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: TU 1978
We played with much better rythem in the 2nd half. Hopefully we can continue that into the next game.

One thing that I really do like is our depth, both in terms of overall, and then also in terms of potential scorers. I would predict that Taplin, Jeffries, Horne, Joiner, and Scott will each have at least one 20+ point game this year.

Wasn't able to make it to the game, and had to listen to it intermittently on the radio for both basketball and football. Totally wasn't disappointed that I missed watching the football game. Was irritated that I couldn't go to the basketball game.

Question on the basketball game: Anybody that got to watch it on TV or in person, was Etyan(Sp?) good defensively or not. He was not in the game when we started to get hot, and I want to know if that was a coincidence or not???

If you are talking about Etienne #14, he got hurt early int he 2nd half on a play with no player contact. Not sure what it was. He came back in a few minutes later, but then had to exit shortly after.

If you are talking about Etienne #14, he got hurt early int he 2nd half on a play with no player contact. Not sure what it was. He came back in a few minutes later, but then had to exit shortly after.
Yeah thats the one I'm talking about. Was he any kind of defensive force in the first half?

Also who was his primary guarding assignment.

Someone already beat me to it... But 10 assist and 0 turnovers!! Taplin is looking great!!!

Play Tap Jeffries and Joiner together for 32 minutes every game and Tulsa has a chance for a dance ticket

How did Barnes look?

Solid, but not spectacular. A little loose on the handles, and you can tell he’s hesitant to shoot from outside. Attacks the rim hard when he drives, and like I posted in the last game thread, he’s for sure going to posterize somebody before the year is done.

I think he’ll be a solid role player for us this year though, with probably a couple breakout type games where he puts in 10-15 points while playing great defense.

We need to keep it up, but I just want to point out we are doing what we are supposed to so far.

No slip ups and the team is becoming more comfortable with each other. Need to smooth out the last little bumps this next game or two and then we'll see what we really got.

I like this though. Takes me back to Bill Self teams where we would beat on teams so bad they would struggle to have more field goals than turnovers.

Joiner is filling it up, more importantly since the end of last year his turn overs have been extremely low. He's a plus guard in every catagory. Scott continues to find ways to fill the stats. We have had plenty of those type players in the past here, but Jeffries is going to make this a great team and Taplin at point is going to make us a tough one to beat.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Interesting stat of the night...

We shot 50% from 3 (8 of 16), and we only had one player (Jeffries) miss more than one 3-pt attempt (he went 2-4).

What that tells me is that we didn’t have anyone forcing up a lot of bad shots. Also, all three of the guys who went 0-1 from 3 tonight are guys I want taking those shots all season long when they’re open (Moore, Horne, and Korita).

looking back in the first half, I recall that SCSU played an extremely deliberate game, passing the ball around the 3 point line until under 15-10 seconds. That disrupted TU's flow. And, the D wasn't intense enough. That changed when the lead expanded. Overall, I thought it was a good win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT