ADVERTISEMENT

SMU gamethread

drboobay... this lunatic is going for it on 4th and long in own territory with 4 minutes and 3 timeouts. and down by 1 score. IF Monty was coaching anywhere but Tulsa, he'd be crucified.
There were only 3 minutes left in the game at that point and you trust the defense to stop them there. The defense let them run the clock out on them so punting would have been pointless and you would have railed him if he had punt. Best decision was to go for it all there.

Yes we had not had a three and out for a very long time. Best to go for it.

Only 1 completion second half. The 1 to Hobbs.

1 completion is not good enough. We were definitely stopped in the 2nd half.

Original/Grad pick whoever is not up to their expectations and want them off the field, off the team, or fired. Quarterback(s) one game or another, or the defense, or the DC's, or the receivers, or the HC for another. They were all happy with skipper and sh*t today, a game or three ago they wanted him off the field for good. One of them even was all for getting rid of Shamari because he was too good. Bloomin idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaCane95
Original/Grad pick whoever is not up to their expectations and want them off the field, off the team, or fired. Quarterback(s) one game or another, or the defense, or the DC's, or the receivers, or the HC for another. They were all happy with skipper and sh*t today, a game or three ago they wanted him off the field for good. One of them even was all for getting rid of Shamari because he was too good. Bloomin idiots.
Does Monty's performance warrant his continued employment after this year?

The thing about dumb people is they usually don't know they're dumb....because they're dumb.

We can't fund a men's golf program. Where do you think the money is going to come from?
There’s plenty of money for golf. Every segment of the University was making cuts and the athletic department was asked to do the same. Men’s golf reeks of upper middle class white privilege and entitlement so it was the natural choice to make the hippies, wackos, and leftists against athletics happy.

Reactions: TULSARISING
There’s plenty of money for golf. Every segment of the University was making cuts and the athletic department was asked to do the same. Men’s golf reeks of upper middle class white privilege and entitlement so it was the natural choice to make the hippies, wackos, and leftists against athletics happy.

I hope you’re right that it's not as bad as it seems. Some of the ridiculous things i've heard make me wonder. Still, school ain't buying out a contract a year removed from a 10 win season

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Does Monty's performance warrant his continued employment after this year?
For many reason's yes.

First I'll start with contractural reasons. One we don't have the money to fire him in the middle of his contract. Two we can't go around firing one coach who two years before won 10 games but performed dismally the next two years, bring in another who takes us to 6-6 after two dismal years and takes us back to 10 wins the next, then fire him after one bad year.

U do that and being a small academic university with academic requirements that are much more severe than most universities, you start to get the rep of being a whiny, ivory tower, over expecting, academic elitist G5 that nobody wants to coach at because of the possibility that they might get canned after a bad year. Then we get a coach who is inferior to Montgomery.

Now I'll mention the coaching reasons. Ego needs to be put in check. He needs to strongly consider bringing somebody in and being Co-OC. If he doesn't make some of these & other coaching changes(that should be outlined to him after the season) then he must realize if he fails it may be his last year. If he succeeds then more power to him. If he does make these changes and is even minimally more successful like 5-7, 6-6 then he probably gets another year.

He's young, inexperienced, and has a huge ego. He needs a chance to subjugate all of those aspects a bit in the next year or two. His resume says he deserves that chance and we should give it to him. If he goes somewhere else and succeeds, which is very possible, then our rep takes a real hit.

You just looked at that humorous but true video and called yourself on being too quick on the draw. But after the game you are right back where you were before you admitted being too quick. Pull back and analyze for a millesecond before you get off on somebody/some part of the team.

My apologies if this rambles on grammatically, but I don't feel like going back and editing. Hopefully my points will for the most part be interpretable the way I intended them to be, despite the ramble...

Last edited:
...and part of the issue is we are a young team. Both the coach and the team deserve a chance to show how much of an effect that had. They should be given the chance to mature for at least a year.(Coach and team)

Only a "nut job" would go for it in that situation...

Agree to disagree, but 90% of coaches punt knowing you have 3 TOs. That was amateur.

It's not that I expected TU to win (of course, I knew they would lose). BUT... the way Tulsa is losing games this year should make everyone concerned; especially the players.

For many reason's yes.

First I'll start with contractural reasons. One we don't have the money to fire him in the middle of his contract. Two we can't go around firing one coach who two years before won 10 games but performed dismally the next two years, bring in another who takes us to 6-6 after two dismal years and takes us back to 10 wins the next, then fire him after one bad year.

U do that and being a small academic university with academic requirements that are much more severe than most universities, you start to get the rep of being a whiny, ivory tower, over expecting, academic elitist G5 that nobody wants to coach at because of the possibility that they might get canned after a bad year. Then we get a coach who is inferior to Montgomery.

Now I'll mention the coaching reasons. Ego needs to be put in check. He needs to strongly consider bringing somebody in and being Co-OC. If he doesn't make some of these & other coaching changes(that should be outlined to him after the season) then he must realize if he fails it may be his last year. If he succeeds then more power to him. If he does make these changes and is even minimally more successful like 5-7, 6-6 then he probably gets another year.

He's young, inexperienced, and has a huge ego. He needs a chance to subjugate all of those aspects a bit in the next year or two. His resume says he deserves that chance and we should give it to him. If he goes somewhere else and succeeds, which is very possible, then our rep takes a real hit.

You just looked at that humorous but true video and called yourself on being too quick on the draw. But after the game you are right back where you were before you admitted being too quick. Pull back and analyze for a millesecond before you get off on somebody/some part of the team.

My apologies if this rambles on grammatically, but I don't feel like going back and editing. Hopefully my points will for the most part be interpretable the way I intended it to be, despite the ramble...
So I'm bipolar, lol. I just see the fundamentals of good coaching seemingly lost on him. Play calling, schemes, defense, talent level (recruiting). Those things plus the fact we aren't getting better, and making more or worse mistakes on the field. At least show progress. I know he'll be here next year, whatever, hopefully he learns in year 4.

I can forgive everything we can blame on inexperienced players and coaches. Everybody needs room to grow, rebuild and learn from stupid mistakes, but the lack of discipline and the cocky, mocking, bonehead unsportsmanlike penalties should have been corrected in week one. And I'm not just talking about the Hobbs call. EVERY GAME this year foolishness and ego has cost us. For a small private academic-oriented school like Tulsa to win consistently - tough and smart must be a given. Too often this year we have looked soft and stupid.

I dont disagree that PM is still learning. Like most of Tulsa's team he is still young and trying to figure it out. I read an article posted on the payboard last week about how we have played like 15? freshmen this year.

Stats dont lie, were 2-7 right now. Looks horrible considering we won 10 games last year. Abandon ship!

I dont think we're as far away from being where we want to be than some might think we are. With the exception of OSU and Tulane (barf). We have been in every game with a chance to win. Our defense ranks statistically one of the worst in the country, but when your offense is off the field so quick (because we have basically two quarterbacks that have pretty much zero college experience behind center) they are being asked to do a lot more than they should.

I personally think the future looks pretty good with Skipper and Brooks leading the way.

I dont disagree that PM is still learning. Like most of Tulsa's team he is still young and trying to figure it out. I read an article posted on the payboard last week about how we have played like 15? freshmen this year.

Stats dont lie, were 2-7 right now. Looks horrible considering we won 10 games last year. Abandon ship!

I dont think we're as far away from being where we want to be than some might think we are. With the exception of OSU and Tulane (barf). We have been in every game with a chance to win. Our defense ranks statistically one of the worst in the country, but when your offense is off the field so quick (because we have basically two quarterbacks that have pretty much zero college experience behind center) they are being asked to do a lot more than they should.

I personally think the future looks pretty good with Skipper and Brooks leading the way.

Agreed. And on top of that, many of our games have been lost by less than a touchdown. So we're at least competitive in 3 of our losses. Defense is slowly improving after tanking mid-season. Skipper is looking better each game. Can only go up from here right? 2 and 7? Like someone said earlier, hey, at least we beat Houston this year. That's the diamond in this year's rough.

Agreed. And on top of that, many of our games have been lost by less than a touchdown. So we're at least competitive in 3 of our losses. Defense is slowly improving after tanking mid-season. Skipper is looking better each game. Can only go up from here right? 2 and 7? Like someone said earlier, hey, at least we beat Houston this year. That's the diamond in this year's rough.
We have seen flashes of very good play this year. Enough that I think we have some real talent. No way we should fire the coach.

Firing the head coach would be the worst decision possible.

That said, there needs to be accountability at the position coach level. GamePerson, obviously a close student of football, says it above better than I. The team looks underprepared and undisciplined. That’s on the position coach. So are the inordinate number of drops.

Carter and Hobbs both technically broke the rules on their catches. If Carter sits a series, maybe Hobbs doesn’t do his two step. They both need to roll after last night.

You are either coaching or allowing it to happen. I’m growing impatient with watching it happen every week when these games are all realistically winnable, except maybe OSU.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Firing the head coach would be the worst decision possible.

That said, there needs to be accountability at the position coach level. GamePerson, obviously a close student of football, says it above better than I. The team looks underprepared and undisciplined. That’s on the position coach. So are the inordinate number of drops.

Carter and Hobbs both technically broke the rules on their catches. If Carter sits a series, maybe Hobbs doesn’t do his two step. They both need to roll after last night.

You are either coaching or allowing it to happen. I’m growing impatient with watching it happen every week when these games are all realistically winnable, except maybe OSU.
So don't fire him... But it's almost solely on him for allowing his players to continue to make stupid plays that contribute to losses. So why don't we hold him accountable? I guess we'll just wait til after next year to hold him accountable...

And Houston beats USF today in Tampa. Kind of shows this season was only about 3 or 4 plays away from a 6 or 7 win season

Reactions: GameParson
So im watching the OU game and they just reviewed a play for targeting on a play where no penalty was ever called to begin with. Apparently it can be reviewed. We got sc***ed.

Agreed. Refs missed a clear targeting call on SMU against both Brooks and Skipper.

Is there Kharma in football? Last year, we win 4 close ones( & of course get screwed by incompetent refs in 2 more). I say again, this year is a tribute to our guys & all the coaching staff for being in so many games but coming up short after losing so much to graduation. If not for kharma, how else do you explain DB's stumbling, stupid penalties from guys who haven't done it before, more incompetence from refs, key injuries, some suspect play-calling that was just fine last year(which in my mind has more to do with personnel available than bad calls) etc.?

If there is such a thing as Kharma, maybe the bad stuff is through with us for a while & we'll be fine for the future. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

There were only 3 minutes left in the game at that point and you trust the defense to stop them there. The defense let them run the clock out on them so punting would have been pointless and you would have railed him if he had punt. Best decision was to go for it all there.

Exactly. SMU had three 3 and out drives out of 14 in the game (excluding the TD drives that took 3 plays or less...) so you had about a 20% chance of getting the ball back. And they'd converted on 3rd and long twice already in the second half so who really thinks the D would hold them without a first down? And in fact we know what happened - the D couldn't get a stop. Thr "punt it" theory was tried and failed! So the suggestion that they should have punted is (a) dumb in theory and (b) failed in fact. There's enough to be unhappy with that we don't need to be diluting it with nonsense.

If you want to get pissed, look at giving up 44 yards on 3rd and 19 from SMU's 16. That's something real to be pissed about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulsafanzz
So...the all time record is roughly 50-50. That would suggest Houston is only any good half the time. That is about right I guess.

So I guess the Kitties played the right QB only 50% of the time against us. Thanks Red Dragon Coug for pointing out the terrible personnel selection by Houston HC’s.

Exactly. SMU had three 3 and out drives out of 14 in the game (excluding the TD drives that took 3 plays or less...) so you had about a 20% chance of getting the ball back. And they'd converted on 3rd and long twice already in the second half so who really thinks the D would hold them without a first down? And in fact we know what happened - the D couldn't get a stop. Thr "punt it" theory was tried and failed! So the suggestion that they should have punted is (a) dumb in theory and (b) failed in fact. There's enough to be unhappy with that we don't need to be diluting it with nonsense.

If you want to get pissed, look at giving up 44 yards on 3rd and 19 from SMU's 16. That's something real to be pissed about.
Amen.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Houston people are so delusional.

The statement itself screams “We are inconsistent but still think we are a powerhouse.”

UH has played Tulsa more than any other opponent, yet they try to say they have a rivalry with Texas (and a .32 winning pct) but not us, despite playing half as many games.

The series between TU and Houston was tied going into conference play in 2005. UH is 8-4 in conf play. While TU’s wins in the last 12 years are the most relevant to our discussion and mostly came in down years for Houston, your statement ignores the 2007 team that was briefly nationally ranked and only lost to Alabama, ECU, Oregon and Tulsa 56-7. They were tied for 1st in the Western Division. If you count the bowl, they lost to TCU too.

Given the talent pool, lack of academic restrictions and brand new stadium, UH has no business dropping games to Tulsa ever, but still finds a way to do it. That’s the difference between losing and being a loser.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT