ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage

Did anybody go sounds like the offense didn’t play good anybody go watch it ?

I predict Smith will start. Arm is strong and motion is natural. I hope he has the smarts to run the offense and I hope he can make good decisions.

Lol smith will be the starter. Stop.
He might end up being the starter but let’s hope it’s not by default. We need someone to step up, lead, and produce from that position this year and it doesn’t look like any of them are mature enough to do that consistently at this point.

Reactions: HuffyCane
It will not be by default. Once again, there is no competition. It is not even close.

Reactions: Buzzy56
Spring game was 1s on offense going against 2s on defense according to articles. For that-Whatever size hole was created for running -cut it in half. Whatever time the QB had on offense- cut it down by 1/3. Whatever space the receiver had -cut it in half. Timing is crucial. Let the 1s go against the 1s so they can all get better and be prepared. I am not sure about how they did scrimmage but if they did 1s v. 1s the result of the offense would be explained. If they did 1s v 2s and offense still struggled-I am concerned. On a good note I do think the Tulsa defense will be pretty strong so let's give them some credit -even if they know the plays and can anticipate exactly what offense is doing.

Reactions: bigstar18
I never get too high or too low on these reports. But, the apparent struggles of the O Line are concerning. That is the area I am most worried about. Without adequate QB protection and RB holes to run through, MSU may shut TU out.

Spring game was 1s on offense going against 2s on defense according to articles. For that-Whatever size hole was created for running -cut it in half. Whatever time the QB had on offense- cut it down by 1/3. Whatever space the receiver had -cut it in half. Timing is crucial. Let the 1s go against the 1s so they can all get better and be prepared. I am not sure about how they did scrimmage but if they did 1s v. 1s the result of the offense would be explained. If they did 1s v 2s and offense still struggled-I am concerned. On a good note I do think the Tulsa defense will be pretty strong so let's give them some credit -even if they know the plays and can anticipate exactly what offense is doing.
Not sure what articles you read but I went to the spring game and there was a handful of series that were 1's vs 1's. They switched it up as the game went along.

Yesterday's scrimmage sounded like 1's vs 1's according to one of the player interviews. Chris Ivy mentioned it I think.

I never get too high or too low on these reports. But, the apparent struggles of the O Line are concerning. That is the area I am most worried about. Without adequate QB protection and RB holes to run through, MSU may shut TU out.
The oline is a concern. Hopefully they just weren't prepared mentally for the scrimmage and will come out more prepared this week/next scrimmage.

Please let us know if any of today’s scrimmage will be available to watch on U-tube or other means. Out of town today. Hated to miss it!

Lots of interceptions or plays that could have been interceptions. (Mostly by "back-up" QB. ) Missed extra point. Defense mid season form except the potential targeting penalty for hitting one of our best players.....Stokes.(Helped off the field) Smith got very few reps. Maybe holding him out for safety reasons. LB's really tough. Punting very good. (He may get a lot of work)

Brinn took the majority of the reps. He had a few nice throws but I was not encouraged by what I saw on offense.

Our punter is legit though.

My take on today’s scrimmage: Defense way ahead of offense. Our DBs overall looked better than I expected, especially our cornerbacks. They won the majority of battles with our WRs. I really hope our defense is good!

Brim looked like the best QB today, but Smith was given the fewest opportunities. Our running game looked better than our passing game. We have a good group of RBs, Brooks, Taylor & Wilkerson all looked good & will get the vast majority of carries. Lovick will probably redshirt, he has some nice moves, like Brooks. He should be fun to watch in the future.

Positive take: Our defense looked very good, both the first & second team D. We may have a good, deep defense ( compared to our norms). Our punter looks great. We have 3 capable QBs & a good group of RBs.

Not so positive take: Our QBs & WRs didn’t appear to be working as well together as you’d like to see. No QB looked like “The guy” today. Our OL is a work in progress. Hopefully, it will look better in a couple weeks.

Tulsafanzz summed it up pretty well.

I'll add that the kicker(s) of kickoff never did get it into the endzone. Maybe that was by design?
And the field goal kicking did not look too great.

Hot take: TK Wilkerson will knock a DB out of a game this season when he runs them over.

Smith is obviously the guy. He played the least to keep him from getting hurt.
I’m inclined to believe this. This scrimmage is essentially the break of camp. If Smith is the starter, then it makes sense to rest his arm a bit and give the backup that needs the reps the most a chance. That way when MSU prep starts on Monday Smith is fresh and ready to go. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kelly tweet this coming Thursday or Friday that Smith will be the starter. Judging by the comments about the scrimmage some of you owe me an apology. This was a lot closer than a lot of you wanted to admit. I wish Vegas was taking action on Brin starting a game this season.

BTW, in the video Monty said Santana and Crawford both could have impacts this year.

Agree on Wilkerson. If the line is as concerning as y’all say, then at some point, that means a big body back is gonna have to carry the load. Especially with the injury record of RBs in this offense.

Reactions: quincy101
So who looked the strongest on the OL? Ivy and Paul? Would like to know where our weaker spots will be.

I've been touting Sam Crawford, Jr. since the spring game. Kid could very well become a star. Santana also did well & I'm very happy to see his development this fall.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Tulsafanzz summed it up pretty well.

I'll add that the kicker(s) of kickoff never did get it into the endzone. Maybe that was by design?
And the field goal kicking did not look too great.

Hot take: TK Wilkerson will knock a DB out of a game this season when he runs them over.
Only if he ever gets to touch the ball in meaningful game action. Have a bad feeling Monty will run Brooks and Taylor until they can't walk anymore rather than let Wilkerson or Lovick take a series here or there. BTW, Lovick is going to be every bit as good as Brooks.

The weak spot was whichever side Gipson lined up on. He beat Ivy multiple times.
Gipson is going to create a lot of problems for offenses this year. Would like to see Gillespie show blitz from the opposite side forcing the RB to that side and leaving Gipson 1 v 1. You will probably see a lot of teams line a TE up on Gipson's side to get a chip on him before the TE releases. If Gillespie is smart, you move Gipson from side to side and force the QB to call audibles or changes. Being so focused on where Gipson is and you will instantly forget about Collins and that's going to be a bad thing for offenses.

When was the last time we had this much talent on defense where there were no glaring weaknesses position to position?

Reactions: TULOYAL
Only if he ever gets to touch the ball in meaningful game action. Have a bad feeling Monty will run Brooks and Taylor until they can't walk anymore rather than let Wilkerson or Lovick take a series here or there. BTW, Lovick is going to be every bit as good as Brooks.
I think he'd be great in the 4th quarter to being in fresh when the D is worn down and let him run through them with that big body liek they're paper people.

But yeah, hopefully he gets touches during the rest of the game as well

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I think he'd be great in the 4th quarter to being in fresh when the D is worn down and let him run through them with that big body liek they're paper people.

But yeah, hopefully he gets touches during the rest of the game as well
Monty has never done this. Thomas only got touches last year when Brooks and Taylor were dinged. Thomas showed unusual quickness for his size and he was a punishing runner and was better at getting to the edges than Brooks and Taylor.

Brooks will get 2 series, Taylor will get 2 series and they will alternate that way throughout the game. Wilkerson and Lovick will only see the field if Brooks or Taylor gets hurt. Monty won't even use Wilkerson in short yardage situations when he is better suited to push the pile. Heck, 3rd and 1 and you bring Wilkerson in and you might even be able to catch the defense cheating run and hit something bigger. But why would we ever try to throw something off.

Reactions: maverickfp
"try to throw something off." I wonder if Monty has run a single trick play during his tenure. I thought we might see one at UT last year, but I'm not recalling it.

Monty has never done this. Thomas only got touches last year when Brooks and Taylor were dinged. Thomas showed unusual quickness for his size and he was a punishing runner and was better at getting to the edges than Brooks and Taylor.

Brooks will get 2 series, Taylor will get 2 series and they will alternate that way throughout the game. Wilkerson and Lovick will only see the field if Brooks or Taylor gets hurt. Monty won't even use Wilkerson in short yardage situations when he is better suited to push the pile. Heck, 3rd and 1 and you bring Wilkerson in and you might even be able to catch the defense cheating run and hit something bigger. But why would we ever try to throw something off.
Thomas was an awful pass blocker and therefore a liability as an every down back in a fast paced offense. He also never seemed to have a full grasp of the offense. TK is already a much better blocker so I’d be shocked if he doesn’t play a much larger role than Thomas. I’d love to see Lovick in four games and get his redshirt because he needs time to develop. But if he doesn’t redshirt, it means he’s adapted well to the college game and that’s not a bad thing either. The Booker T kid really missed an opportunity to be part of a special position group.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT