ADVERTISEMENT

Takeaways from week 1

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
Fast forward past the first 4 series, this team dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

The skinny post continued to eat us up in the secondary, but our front 4 really looked good.

I went home and watched the game on TV again last night. While that TD pass just before half was textbook, Marquise Shoulders getting the separation needed to make that catch is extremely underrated and I encourage everyone to go watch that play if you haven't. Not sure if it's a sign of our offensive coaching staff or just Marquise natural instincts, but it was beautiful all the way around. He had to stutter step early to get the DB to slow down before getting separation and making a move on the ball.

Tight ends really opened up the game plan.

I kind of wish we hadn't ran with he QB so much to not show our hand too early for Washington.

I'm excited for this season #Golden

P.S. If we beat Washington, I will personally orchestrate the return of the Golden Hurricane chant at Chapman stadium.

Fast forward past the first 4 series, this team dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

The skinny post continued to eat us up in the secondary, but our front 4 really looked good.

I went home and watched the game on TV again last night. While that TD pass just before half was textbook, Marquise Shoulders getting the separation needed to make that catch is extremely underrated and I encourage everyone to go watch that play if you haven't. Not sure if it's a sign of our offensive coaching staff or just Marquise natural instincts, but it was beautiful all the way around. He had to stutter step early to get the DB to slow down before getting separation and making a move on the ball.

Tight ends really opened up the game plan.

I kind of wish we hadn't ran with he QB so much to not show our hand too early for Washington.

I'm excited for this season #Golden

P.S. If we beat Washington, I will personally orchestrate the return of the Golden Hurricane chant at Chapman stadium.
I don't think we really opened up our playbook at all last night.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I think we saved #5 for the most part as a surprise for Wash. Wish we had a dozen more surprises to spring on them.

Many mentioned the Arkie PB&J band. They were excellent. Then the TU band walked (not marched) out....what a pitifull contrast. Couldn't the NCAA institute some kind of portal or free transfer for college band members? The Arkie PB&J band could stand to lose 75 to 100 members & still be great. This assumes anyone from Pine Bluff would want to transfer to the TU music program.

Reactions: eastcane
I think we saved #5 for the most part as a surprise for Wash. Wish we had a dozen more surprises to spring on them.

Many mentioned the Arkie PB&J band. They were excellent. Then the TU band walked (not marched) out....what a pitifull contrast. Couldn't the NCAA institute some kind of portal or free transfer for college band members? The Arkie PB&J band could stand to lose 75 to 100 members & still be great. This assumes anyone from Pine Bluff would want to transfer to the TU music program.
TU is going to need to make a major commitment to have the type of band that most on these boards desire. It's never been a priority in the past and would be very expensive, but who knows... Regardless, it would never resemble UAPB due to the make up of the student body at TU. Those type of show bands are exclusive to HBCU's and a major point of pride for their universities.

TU is going to need to make a major commitment to have the type of band that most on these boards desire. It's never been a priority in the past and would be very expensive, but who knows... Regardless, it would never resemble UAPB due to the make up of the student body at TU. Those type of show bands are exclusive to HBCU's and a major point of pride for their universities.
It doesn’t have to look like an HBCU band, but it can be grown to an appropriate size and balanced with the correct instrument numbers. HBCU bands are purely entertainment and they’re great at it - engaging and for the crowd into it. Most normal bands still engage the crowd through transitions/chants/etc along with interesting and relevant music.

It doesn’t have to look like an HBCU band, but it can be grown to an appropriate size and balanced with the correct instrument numbers. HBCU bands are purely entertainment and they’re great at it - engaging and for the crowd into it. Most normal bands still engage the crowd through transitions/chants/etc along with interesting and relevant music.
I 100% agree with you! Just saying that many look at that as the standard, but that an HBCU style band would never work at TU. You simply don't have the talent pool to draw from. My personal opinion is that for us to have a band that is capable of representing the university well it's going to take a large and long term investment. To me that is 135-150 members, proper instrumentation, and a good/relevant book (music).

I 100% agree with you! Just saying that many look at that as the standard, but that an HBCU style band would never work at TU. You simply don't have the talent pool to draw from. My personal opinion is that for us to have a band that is capable of representing the university well it's going to take a large and long term investment. To me that is 135-150 members, proper instrumentation, and a good/relevant book (music).
For sure - I’d push for 200, but 150 would be a good start and get us back to where we were 2005-2010 during the graham era.

I think 150 is top end and that's with TCC kids. Unless you went and really expanded the music school. Or the student body grows significantly.

Reactions: rusty-c
My portal comment for band members was tongue in cheek. But, a marching band that is well drilled and plays well is a very important part of the game day experience for most fans. Poor TU...I guess they just don't have enough bodies to present something that isn't more embarrassing than the new mascot.

I suggest that TU just use what they have as a pep band & stay in the stands. Then, invite HS school bands to do the halftime show. This has been done, at times, and is usually entertaining. It also adds bodies in the seats which we need desparately. Under 18K last Thursday. Welcome to Skelly Stadium and our small, but fairly loud, crowds, Coach Wilson.

I don’t know how they handled the play calling but it was great to see the team go out there and snap the ball without the entire team turning and staring at the sideline for 30 seconds.
I was just watching the Auburn game. I know this will come as a big surprise but Auburn wasted a timeout in Q1 because they couldn’t get the play to the team on time.

Also, Cal and UNT are tied 14-14 second quarter.

While that TD pass just before half was textbook, Marquise Shoulders getting the separation needed to make that catch is extremely underrated and I encourage everyone to go watch that play if you haven't. Not
While that catch was 1st rate, I think that catch by Devan Williams, true freshman, was just as good or better. Well covered along the east boundary, Williams had to look back and up, through the defenders arms, stopped the ball with one arm & secured it with both while falling on his butt. It sure looked like a catch to everyone but the zebras who took 5 minutes to figure it out.

We've got some guys who can catch it which was a worry going in. Hallelujah!

While that catch was 1st rate, I think that catch by Devan Williams, true freshman, was just as good or better. Well covered along the east boundary, Williams had to look back and up, through the defenders arms, stopped the ball with one arm & secured it with both while falling on his butt. It sure looked like a catch to everyone but the zebras who took 5 minutes to figure it out.

We've got some guys who can catch it which was a worry going in. Hallelujah!
💯

I like the C. Williams to D. Williams combo.

I think there is another Williams or two on the roster ?

I’ll bet the social media person at UCF got fired. UCF played Kent State

Screenshot-20230831-231149.jpg

Back to "Takeaways from Week 1" We have a punter!!!
Running back room is pretty good and has depth.
We had 4 penalties. Can any of you stat guys tell me how many times TU had 4 or fewer penalties under Montgomery?
D-line and LB'ers are going to be giving up some big plays. Not enough speed.
Kopenski is really good. I expect 1st team all-conference when it's all said and done.
Receivers were a huge ??? coming into this season. I feel better about it now but still we need depth and see how they do with top tier d'backs.
If this team gets better every week, we should get to 6 wins.

Back to "Takeaways from Week 1" We have a punter!!!
Running back room is pretty good and has depth.
We had 4 penalties. Can any of you stat guys tell me how many times TU had 4 or fewer penalties under Montgomery?
D-line and LB'ers are going to be giving up some big plays. Not enough speed.
Kopenski is really good. I expect 1st team all-conference when it's all said and done.
Receivers were a huge ??? coming into this season. I feel better about it now but still we need depth and see how they do with top tier d'backs.
If this team gets better every week, we should get to 6 wins.
Agree with all of this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT