ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions after OU/Texas move...

I thought you said something somewhat opposite of this the other day.
I did. But the rules and landscapes and competition is changing daily if not hourly. But then I also started really looking at the contracts and how pay outs are valued ten years ago versus ten years from now.

Before, ESPN was all about finding and funding teams in major cable markets. They could leverage political pressure to make their networks available to the widest cable market and collect $1.50 to $4.00 a home per month whether or not anybody actually watched SMU or Tulane.
Now that’s irrelevant. People are streaming. So the drive is to tie up as much brand recognition and purchasing power as possible, not captive viewers. Traditional cable may be unsustainable for college sports before the grant of rights deals all expire. The big event playoff will be a ratings bonanza and the money will center there. But Ole Miss vs Savannah State? ESPN ain’t paying for that anymore.

That’s what made the AAC streaming contract huge. The money was low but the structure of the deal and the length was very forward thinking and protects little guys that might get left behind.

As ESPN becomes more like Netflix, the streaming value of OU and Texas is massive compared to schools like USC. So a pooled streaming deal plus guaranteed access to the post season made the SEC thing for OU worth it even if they win that conference once a decade. The loss of revenue potential being left out of that is just too risky.

On the other hand, OSU and KSU really have no place to go. OSU is in better shape because they have a relatively small fan base but they will buy just about anything with OSU on it. From the streaming subscription standpoint, they are even more valuable than schools with huge alumni bases in major cities with long traditions. OSU’s streaming value is probably greater than UCLA’s. But it’s not enough to move the needle as the two networks battle. The Fox networks are saying they don’t want them in a conference they control like PAC-12 and so the short term game of trying to keep the Big 12 together is their best play and just about the only thing left the Big 12 has going for it is the autonomy conference angle which can help with paying players. That’s all they’ve got left. UCF is so desperate for validation expect them to prematurely try to jump off for what I think will be a brief and financially catastrophic move to the Big 12 if things keep moving the direction they are going. But that assumes that the Big 12 actually wants to stay together and the vote they took to stay together for five more years wasn’t just pure theater while they all furiously try to lobby their way out. I think those that have streaming value (KU basketball) will have a safe place to land. Those that don’t will be forced to work out a fragment of a media deal. And I think that’s where we come in. The regional conference that includes us as a low cost/low pay out member once OSU and KSU figure out the party is over and they’ve wasted hundreds of millions of dollars over the years.

Reactions: TU 1978
TU’s future likely lies in whether the Big10 and ACC expand to 16. Such an expansion would pick apart what’s left of the Big12 and allow the AAC to snag the leftovers. If those conferences stand pat the Big12 will add 4 or 8 new members and become the best of the have nots. Cincy, Houston, and UCF would likely be the top targets.

OSU knew this was coming before the B12 did. They've been working with ISU for at least three months on a contingency plan to jump to the B10 when OU/UT jumped ship.

Will they actually end up there? No idea. But don't be shocked if that's what ends up happening.

cb

Reactions: eastcane
OSU knew this was coming before the B12 did. They've been working with ISU for at least three months on a contingency plan to jump to the B10 when OU/UT jumped ship.

Will they actually end up there? No idea. But don't be shocked if that's what ends up happening.

cb

The Big 10 is only interested in AAU schools which leaves OSU out. Iowa State is a possibility then Kansas if they want to keep it at an even number.

After reading a lot the last few days, I think the remaining Big 8 teams won’t be invited anywhere. West Virginia to the ACC is the best chance for any of them.

Unfortunately, I consider this bad for Tulsa. I see the Big XII leftovers inviting BYU, Cincinnati, Houston & either Memphis or Colorado State. I hope they don’t try to go to 16.

If OSU fans are representative of their administration, there’s a zero percent chance Tulsa would be invited. I didn’t find one OSU fan who likes TU. One OSU poster even had a proposed expansion that included Temple & East Carolina, but not TU!

Still hoping OSU gets an invite somewhere (for our benefit), but it’s not looking likely, in my opinion.
osu fans have always looked down on us and want to keep us there

cb
If true, that sounds like the perfect argument for OU to leave and pay nothing lol. Somebody over at OSU legal needs to read up on the definition of fiduciary responsibility

It also makes the OSU President look like a fool based on his social media posts.

One minute they are shocked at OU not working with them, the next minute they admit they’ve been working on an exit plan all along. One minute they are voting to keep the Big 12 going and say they are staying, the next minute they are saying they’ve been planning to leave for months and are a strong contender to go to a conference that has publicly said they have no interest but will listen. What a way to keep a conference together and entice new members!

Somebody needs to tell someone in authority to stop paying attention to the athletic department and some social media comms person in their twenties only concerned about winning the Twitterverse for the next news cycle and start doing something constructive. Or perhaps he can’t. It’s falling down around him and he can’t stop it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
If true, that sounds like the perfect argument for OU to leave and pay nothing lol.

It also makes the OSU President look like a fool based on his social media posts.
Do you know something about the president the rest of us don’t know? Next thing you know Pokenmike will show up with the flock of sheep to defend her honor. 🤣

Office of the President

• Haha
Reactions: HuffyCane
Do you know something about the president the rest of us don’t know? Next thing you know Pokenmike will show up with the flock of sheep to defend her honor. 🤣

Office of the President
My sincere apologies to Dr Shrum. I thought it was still Burns Hargis over there. I guess there was a change a few weeks ago.

I do think it’s funny they condemn OU for not looking out for the whole State of Oklahoma but aren’t interested in taking TU with them wherever they go and spent the last 50 years keeping us out of the Big 8/12.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
My sincere apologies to Dr Shrum. I thought it was still Burns Hargis over there. I guess there was a change a few weeks ago.

I do think it’s funny they condemn OU for not looking out for the whole State of Oklahoma but aren’t interested in taking TU with them wherever they go and spent the last 50 years keeping us out of the Big 8/12.
Perhaps you were addressing the Pres with their preferred pronoun?

• Haha
Reactions: TU Man and TU 1978
Get woke, go broke.
Recognizing the corrosive effect of wokeness, the USOC put together a team of of the very best non-woke athletes in the country. Looking forward to the inevitable gold metal ceremony.

RLHJQGANKII6VIUGDTZAIDLQOY.jpg

The Big 10 is only interested in AAU schools which leaves OSU out. Iowa State is a possibility then Kansas if they want to keep it at an even number.
They are also a lot closer location wise. Iowa vs Iowa state would be a bigger rivalry. Kansas is the sexiest thing in basketball.

OSU would just be kind of a weirdo there.

is that dude in front wearing a mouth piece? game must get violent.

multi-talented if he can suck air and wear a mouth piece at the same time.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
My best guess after OU and UT move:
ACC - ND and WVU (16) - FSU and Miami want no part of UCF/USF in the league
PAC - TT, UH, OSU and KSU (16) the concerns on religious affiliation hurt Baylor, TCU, SMU or Boise academics.
B10 - KU and ISU (16) AAU schools only

AAC - Baylor, TCU, BYU, Boise, - all sports Army, AF - FB only (16 FB and 14 other sports) or splits into two regional conferences with a FB Championship game between the two - West TU, SMU, Baylor, TCU, Rice, Tulane, Memphis and Navy (FB)/WSU (BB)
East UCF, USF, ECU, UC, Temple, Marshall, App St (ECU will fight this add) and Army (FB)

it gets crazier every day.

They are also a lot closer location wise. Iowa vs Iowa state would be a bigger rivalry. Kansas is the sexiest thing in basketball.

OSU would just be kind of a weirdo there.
Rumor is that The Ohio State University will veto Oklahoma State because there can only be one OSU. Kidding. Kinda.

It's hard to see OSU in the Pac12 but they'd fit better academically with ASU, WSU and Oregon than with the Big 10 schools. You do gotta love the idea of the Beverly Hillbilles rolling into Westwood and Palo Alto every year.

TheBeverlyHillbillies13_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: bluegold70
The Big 12's annual per-school distributions (prior to COVID) were approaching 40 million. In 2020, the AAC paid its highest per-school distribution of 7.5 million to UCF. With the new ESPN/AAC TV contract, the average per-school distribution will be 7 million for all the member schools. Even with OU and UT gone from the Big 12 (which, for the sake of conjecture let's assume it falls by 75% for the sake of hyperbole) the per-school distribution would be somewhere north of $10 million in the Irate 8. The AAC can't poach anyone without ESPN steering the discussion. Aresco needs ESPN to be the catalyst if the AAC is to avoid losing members or seeking to add the collapsing Irate 8 schools. One thing I can't wait to see, is for TCU to eat some humble pie when nobody comes calling. As an undergrad alum from that joke of a university, it gives me pleasure to see their fan base decry ever having anything to do with the lowly AAC when they're no better than SMU and sacrificed their academic offerings to expand their stadium and grease the Big 12 to get in.

Reactions: HuffyCane
If the PAC12 expands (which now looks likely) the Big12 will cease to operate as a viable entity. The AAC will likely pick up the few leftovers. This play is changing by the minute but as of right now this appears the most likely result.

Recognizing the corrosive effect of wokeness, the USOC put together a team of of the very best non-woke athletes in the country. Looking forward to the inevitable gold metal ceremony.

RLHJQGANKII6VIUGDTZAIDLQOY.jpg
No one said you can put any team out there whos main goal is looking good on Twitter... but any team that is playing at a Gold medal level should be worrying about their game and not their social credit score. ( Unless you are China, where they alreay have them).

No one said you can put any team out there whos main goal is looking good on Twitter... but any team that is playing at a Gold medal level should be worrying about their game and not their social credit score. ( Unless you are China, where they alreay have them).
How can they possibly focus on two things given that they only have 20 hours a day and 7 months a year off from sports??? What are they supposed to do with all their time? Strip clubs and 8 hours a day of video games? BTW, some of them might say that the fear and worry for their loved ones and community is much more of a distraction and hindrance to their performance than anything else. If they're smart, and some of them are, having a challenge and outlet other than sports and carousing will actually help their performance.

cb
No way. No way. OK State is crap academically. No way. No way.

The Big 12's annual per-school distributions (prior to COVID) were approaching 40 million. In 2020, the AAC paid its highest per-school distribution of 7.5 million to UCF. With the new ESPN/AAC TV contract, the average per-school distribution will be 7 million for all the member schools. Even with OU and UT gone from the Big 12 (which, for the sake of conjecture let's assume it falls by 75% for the sake of hyperbole) the per-school distribution would be somewhere north of $10 million in the Irate 8. The AAC can't poach anyone without ESPN steering the discussion. Aresco needs ESPN to be the catalyst if the AAC is to avoid losing members or seeking to add the collapsing Irate 8 schools. One thing I can't wait to see, is for TCU to eat some humble pie when nobody comes calling. As an undergrad alum from that joke of a university, it gives me pleasure to see their fan base decry ever having anything to do with the lowly AAC when they're no better than SMU and sacrificed their academic offerings to expand their stadium and grease the Big 12 to get in.
This is why you are seeing what you are seeing happen. The streaming value of these schools is in the $8 to $10 million range at most. It’s around $7 for KState. Why add $10 to pay out $30? OSU is really really really in deep do do. ESPN may bail them out to keep the whole ship afloat or avoid government interest, but there’s no way an open market would purchase their value.

I’m more optimistic today regarding OSU’s chances to end up in a P4 than I was over the weekend. TV numbers the best of the remaining 8 schools. PAC says AAU no longer an obstacle and will likely expand. Appears to be interest from the Big10 as well.

I’m more optimistic today regarding OSU’s chances to end up in a P4 than I was over the weekend. TV numbers the best of the remaining 8 schools. PAC says AAU no longer an obstacle and will likely expand. Appears to be interest from the Big10 as well.
A lot of that is PR and litigation worries my friend. The illusion of access must be maintained. Wait until Vanderbilt and Rutgers get their pink slips for ND and Clemson.

Reactions: rusty-c
A lot of that is PR and litigation worries my friend. The illusion of access must be maintained. Wait until Vanderbilt and Rutgers get their pink slips for ND and Clemson.

you think they’ll resort to kicking institutions out of conferences for no reason other than money?

Will never happen. SEC or ACC aren’t kicking any member schools out. PAC12 needs to expand its footprint. Only one direction to go.

TU’s future likely lies in whether the Big10 and ACC expand to 16. Such an expansion would pick apart what’s left of the Big12 and allow the AAC to snag the leftovers. If those conferences stand pat the Big12 will add 4 or 8 new members and become the best of the have nots. Cincy, Houston, and UCF would likely be the top targets.

No way. No way. OK State is crap academically. No way. No way.
We'll see.

cb

Reactions: lawpoke87
OSU was informally talking to the Big 10 before the Big 12 even knew that OU and UT were heading out. Even as recently as media days, OSU tried to warn the Big 12 that it was about to go down and they laughed it off. OSU and ISU have been working together to plot a packaged exit specifically to the Big 10 and the AAU thing is not as big a deal for the Big 10 as people think -- not anymore with the big money implications of college football taking precedence.

Again, this could go several directions including OSU to the Pac-12 or ACC, but right now, my money is on them ending up in the Big 10.

Will never happen. SEC or ACC aren’t kicking any member schools out. PAC12 needs to expand its footprint. Only one direction to go.
I would normally 10,000% agree.

But people have billions invested, billions in future earnings or being shut out are on the line, and the fundamental way value is calculated in the market is radically changing just as entities have to deal with record losses and a dramatic spike in labor costs.

It’s a New World. Market consolidation is upon us. I don’t like it, but there it is. Might take a few years to play out, but it’s real.

Reactions: lawpoke87
OSU was informally talking to the Big 10 before the Big 12 even knew that OU and UT were heading out. Even as recently as media days, OSU tried to warn the Big 12 that it was about to go down and they laughed it off. OSU and ISU have been working together to plot a packaged exit specifically to the Big 10 and the AAU thing is not as big a deal for the Big 10 as people think -- not anymore with the big money implications of college football taking precedence.

Again, this could go several directions including OSU to the Pac-12 or ACC, but right now, my money is on them ending up in the Big 10.
Denial is an early stage of grief and often manifested as fantasy and half truth,

OSU doesn’t have the academics to join some of the other conferences mentioned. The PacSun conference teams don’t want to travel to Oklahoma.

I would normally 10,000% agree.

But people have billions invested, billions in future earnings or being shut out are on the line, and the fundamental way value is calculated in the market is radically changing just as entities have to deal with record losses and a dramatic spike in labor costs.

It’s a New World. Market consolidation is upon us. I don’t like it, but there it is. Might take a few years to play out, but it’s real.
I really hope you’re wrong as I still cling to notion of amateur sports even as I see it quickly slipping away. It’s one thing for a conference to add to its membership from others. Kicking long-standing members to the curb in order to add additional schools would be unprecedented. I see this round of realignment shaking itself out over the next few months rather than years. We should have an idea of what the new landscape look like soon.

OSU doesn’t have the academics to join some of the other conferences mentioned. The PacSun conference teams don’t want to travel to Oklahoma.
Wanting to and getting paid to are very different things.

Actually UCLA and Cal cannot travel to Oklahoma and conduct business because of OkLeg's discrimination laws recently passed. There are some huge sticking points right there. Also, the NCAA is getting ready to pull the WCWS from OKC too because of said law.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT