ADVERTISEMENT

GJ Kinne

TulsaFan2000

I.T.S. Sophomore
Jan 6, 2019
In his first season with Texas State, GJ Kinne guides them to an 8-5 record and a 45-21 win over Rice (who Tulsa lost to this year) on a team primarily comprised of transfers.

Should’ve been the hire for Tulsa but our administration screwed it up. Let’s hope next hiring cycle he even considers us but imagine he will be coaching in a power conference in two years.

Once again, a miss from our athletic department. Have heard this story too many times.

Reactions: t-townpod
Not a misfire at all for what we are trying to do. I like Kinne but dont think he would be a smart hire just yet. Doesn't mean he wont be in the future.

In his first season with Texas State, GJ Kinne guides them to an 8-5 record and a 45-21 win over Rice (who Tulsa lost to this year) on a team primarily comprised of transfers.

Should’ve been the hire for Tulsa but our administration screwed it up. Let’s hope next hiring cycle he even considers us but imagine he will be coaching in a power conference in two years.

Once again, a miss from our athletic department. Have heard this story too many times.
My God shut up.

I really wish you were an OU fan

Reactions: Oak775
He had 50 transfers at Texas's equivalent of UCO or East Central. how many tranfers do you think would qualify at TU? How many would we let in?

Reactions: TulsaAM
I’ll withhold my answer until I see how many KW takes this year.
Regardless of how many he takes, he clearly expects his players to go to class, actively participate in the educational process, and make grades. Can’t imagine he’s going to start bringing in kids that he doesn’t feel will meet his expectations after he sent a number of those type down the road when he arrived.

Regardless of how many he takes, he clearly expects his players to go to class, actively participate in the educational process, and make grades. Can’t imagine he’s going to start bringing in kids that he doesn’t feel will meet his expectations after he sent a number of those type down the road when he arrived.
Kinne, doesn’t expect his players to go to class, actively participate in the educational process and make grades? Thats a rather harsh indictment of a TU alum.

Not sure why such hate for a legitimate discussion. Kinne took the Texas state job before TU got their stuff together to even put him in as a finalist. Would have been a good hire. Alum, up and coming guy. Still can be a fan while expressing view on hiring decisions.
it has nothing to do with Kinne. Some people here will hate the coach no matter what and will always want someone else, same with whoever the QB is. KW and staff just put together one of the top recruiting classes ever at TU and he took over from a very lazy staff when it came to recruiting so there wasn't much to start with. I have no doubt Kinne would have been a good hire and I hope he does great wherever he is. Some of you haven't given KW a chance from the beginning which is fine but it's a mute argument because there isn't a apple to apple comparison

KW has gotten 4 transfers and based on rivals ratings have all been good. I have faith he will get more

Kinne, doesn’t expect his players to go to class, actively participate in the educational process and make grades? Thats a rather harsh indictment of a TU alum.
My bad…. I misread and thought we were talking about the number of transfers KW would be bringing in this year. Now clear the conversation was referring to Kinne’s second year.

Texas State would be a good team to schedule a couple of games with, but we cancelled on them with short notice a few years back so that we could play at Michigan State instead. They probably won’t fall for that again.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Texas State would be a good team to schedule a couple of games with, but we cancelled on them with short notice a few years back so that we could play at Michigan State instead. They probably won’t fall for that again.
We did the same thing to Texas Tech so we could get our ass kicked by Arkansas again awhile back. Must be a public Texas school thing.

We did the same thing to Texas Tech so we could get our ass kicked by Arkansas again awhile back. Must be a public Texas school thing.

Oh, we don’t limit it to Texas. We’ve got a game at Louisiana in a few years that’s been strung along for 9 seasons and counting. I’ll be surprised if we do play that one.

And Central Michigan still hates us for canceling a game with such short notice that they had to play a game short just a few years ago. Beating them by 50 in that bowl game hopefully shut them up though.

Oh, we don’t limit it to Texas. We’ve got a game at Louisiana in a few years that’s been strung along for 9 seasons and counting. I’ll be surprised if we do play that one.

And Central Michigan still hates us for canceling a game with such short notice that they had to play a game short just a few years ago. Beating them by 50 in that bowl game hopefully shut them up though.
Tech ended up having to schedule Eastern Washington due to the short notice. They haven’t forgotten.

Yes we have cancelled games but paid the buy outs. Teams have cancelled on us as well (Army comes to mind). Most times we cancelled a game we got paid substantially more for another road game and with our buyout we still made more money. The teams we bought out, got their money and were able to schedule home games where they paid out much less. Not arguing the merit of doing it but unfortunately it is the nature of college sports.

Anyone who doesn’t want to see a fellow alum become successful has more problems than this board can solve.

That said, Kinne is the highest paid coach in the Sunbelt. And after incentives are reached, would be in the upper half of the AAC. If you think he’s coming to TU some day as his arc rises, dream on. From his perspective, he’s at a better place already. And aiming towards something even higher.

My sense, based on his public statements about what he values at TSU, is Kinne wanted assurances about personnel hires, facilities, NIL, and other things that TU just isn’t going to do. Ever. And certainly isn’t going to hire a coach that thinks they can leverage that. So it was a poor timing thing - him being unproven when our job was open - but also a culture thing.

What we’ve got with Wilson works for now. He brings a culture that many of the decision makers desire. More importantly, he appears to be instilling values folks above him on the tree want to see inculcated. I’m not sure you would see that level or at least that type of professionalism from a young coach. Too many programs flip flop between old and reliable coaches to young and unproven and back again. It was time to flip back to old school coaching.

He’s made some good decisions and at least one poor decision so far. It’s tough to tell at this point. Saban or Leopald might have taken us to a bowl, but it’s hard to judge the man on a roster that most coaches would win 4 or 5 games with given the depth and QB play. Would we be better off with Kinne if we dropped 50 players and still didn’t go bowling? Is that what TU football is meant to be? Does that fit the identity of Tulsa football? My sense is no.

I’m not convinced Wilson was the right choice. I am convinced Kinne was not the right choice for TU at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: rusty-c
Yes we have cancelled games but paid the buy outs. Teams have cancelled on us as well (Army comes to mind). Most times we cancelled a game we got paid substantially more for another road game and with our buyout we still made more money. The teams we bought out, got their money and were able to schedule home games where they paid out much less. Not arguing the merit of doing it but unfortunately it is the nature of college sports.
I can’t recall being more annoyed at the TU Admin than when they cancelled a home and home with Texas Tech to play another one and done with Arkansas. We gave Tech roughly 8 months notice if I remember correctly. I understand we did it for the money but at a time when we were struggling to schedule home and home with attractive opponents I felt it was the wrong move.

He’s made some good decisions and at least one poor decision so far.
What are you referring to as one poor decision? If you won't say, could you at least say what type of decision? Staffing, player personnel, decision on method of running a certain aspect of the program, etc. etc.

What are you referring to as one poor decision? If you won't say, could you at least say what type of decision? Staffing, player personnel, decision on method of running a certain aspect of the program, etc. etc.
Now is not the time. Maybe later. Maybe summer.

I can’t recall being more annoyed at the TU Admin than when they cancelled a home and home with Texas Tech to play another one and done with Arkansas. We gave Tech roughly 8 months notice if I remember correctly. I understand we did it for the money but at a time when we were struggling to schedule home and home with attractive opponents I felt it was the wrong move.
We needed the money. The Arkie deal netted us more than the TT 1-1 put together. I also suspect they would have cancelled us if we didn’t cancel them. And Gus wanted to make a political statement. Which he tried to do and failed with that moronic AJ Whitmore pump fake end around.

It made sense. More money. Helped our recruiting footprint at the time. More publicity. Would have been an SEC win. Old donors loved it. Win and they would have written larger checks. Lots of good reasons to play that game besides drawing an extra 5,000 to Chapman while they recruit local players out from under us and OSU.

Texas State has Kinne and we have Wilson. I want both coaches to be successful. Kinne is young and has the potential to be an up and comer. Wilson is on the tail end of his career and wants to leave a final mark. Both coaches have something to prove! I believe both programs are in good hands in building for the future.

I am surprised no one has brought up the Milkman and the job he is doing at UNLV....! I think he is a strong possibility for a future hire!

Reactions: TU72N76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT