ADVERTISEMENT

PAY. THE. MAN.

If he's making mid 6 figures, he's being WELL F**** PAID! Jesus... I'd take half his salary and be happy...

If he's making mid 6 figures, he's being WELL F**** PAID! Jesus... I'd take half his salary and be happy...

Mid 6 figures is what sun belt pays (and what we paid billy b)... Monty is being paid well above that here. Who knows if a booster will step up or not and sweeten the pot for him.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Mid 6 figures is what sun belt pays (and what we paid billy b)... Monty is being paid well above that here. Who knows if a booster will step up or not and sweeten the pot for him.

I'm all for having a coach like Monty around, don't misunderstand me here... But the purse is tightening at TU, we only have 20 - 22k in attendance from week to week. If we're paying to keep a coach while running the athletics budget at a deficit, I think that's foolish. I'd rather have a football team period than one we can't afford and hurts our viability as a university.

We at least need to provide him an incentive contract with bonus possibilities for achievements if nothing else. Hopefully we'll be able to give him a couple more 100k's as well. I don't want to lose him. He's not only a good coach but a good person, which would be much different than Graham.

Don't underestimate the fact Jim Grobe is a "band-aide" at Baylor. While some might argue Monty was too connected with Briles, that doesn't mean he played any role whatsoever in Briles selling his sole for wins. While it may seem too premature for Baylor to come after Monty, I would not be suprised if they took such a gamble. Either way, TU's admin need to take care of Monty, he is every bit if not more important to the atheletic department as Haith. Monty and his staff have done an incredible job taking a program was in a significant nosedive into an AAC championship contender in less than 2 seasons.

TX

I'm all for having a coach like Monty around, don't misunderstand me here... But the purse is tightening at TU, we only have 20 - 22k in attendance from week to week. If we're paying to keep a coach while running the athletics budget at a deficit, I think that's foolish. I'd rather have a football team period than one we can't afford and hurts our viability as a university.

Would you rather be back in the budget Blankenship days? WTF are you smoking? TU bears a great deal of responsibility for poor marketing and promotions to get people to games. That's on Gragg.

Monty should be making at least what Haith is making.

Monty is likely gone after this season - although I think TU should be pretty good (assuming we find a QB).
I just hope he has the common sense to go somewhere that has resources, commitment and big upside - Not just a bigger paycheck and bigger conference.

Would you rather be back in the budget Blankenship days? WTF are you smoking? TU bears a great deal of responsibility for poor marketing and promotions to get people to games. That's on Gragg.

He should be making more than Haith, no question. Punt Haith and keep Monty if it comes down to it. We're a small school, with small revenue. And I don't smoke anything, not even cigars casually. No I don't want to be back in the Blankenship days because we weren't recruiting or winning and the program had no excitement from game to game. If Monty wants to leave, he'll leave. How can TU afford to keep him? Says you've been around since 78, you should know how it works here... We find awesome coaches, we don't have the economic model to keep them around, they LEAVE.

He's gone folks. It will take $3 million or more to keep him. I just don't see that happening.

I sure hope we would never consider making that happen regardless of the success. There are many viable options when Monty pulls the trigger and sets up shop somewhere else. The good news is that the ship has been righted and the cupboard is not bare. Who knows where we'll be a year from now so lets just enjoy the ride...

It's pure speculation that he could be gone. Strong will be around at Texas another year, no other openings in Texas and LSU will probably look elsewhere.

I would love to romanticize that situation and say that Monty isn't looking for the next big thing. He stayed with Briles long after the offers starting coming in and only left after he found a situation he thought would work. I would like to think that he has seen small programs made big time when a coach stays and financial resources following the success.It would be nice if he would look at the number of coaches who make the jump from a good mid-major to a P5 school and flop and decide to stay.

But the reality is that we have decided to play in D1 and coaches rarely think that way. He is a coach. He isn't Todd Graham but he is a coach. Coaches like Patterson commit to a program are few and far between. My guess is that the AAC looses Herman and Montgomery this year. I just hope that our admin steps up and brings in the latest and greatest new thing to bring a couple of more years of good ball.

Haith isn't getting even as much as what they offered DM to stay. I have a really good feeling that Monty is making more than haith, which makes sense because of the baggage Haith has had and the position he was in at the end at Mizzou. My guess is Monty makes over 1.5 and is the highest paid at TU already.

If you don't retain coaches at a competitive salary you will continue to have a serious struggle filling the stadium. I'm sorry but some of you just have no clue why we struggle to fill the stadium. Honestly the accommodations (parking) are not why people don't come. One of the biggest reasons is a a lack of sustained commitment to the athletic programs. IMO

I get that Tulsa cannot sustain at the rate of larger schools, but sustained real commitment is what will bring the same commitment from a building fan base.

Monty knows our limitations, but we have to show we are willing to sustain commitment or sure he will leave just like anyone else would that is a highly successful person in their trade.

We're still in the budget days as a program, Monty has just hired a good staff and done a phenomenal job. We're running a discount football program with close to the worst facilities in the conference and unless that changes I'm sure Monty will be gone.

That's an academic response. No crap that's how you retain coaches... Now bring some sort of constructive approach to the fact that Tulsa doesn't have the money to pay coaches 7+ figure salaries. We're laying off teachers and graduate assistants. So if you have something constructive to say under this context, let's hear it. Tired of the rehashed argument "Tulsa needs to pony up money to keep coaches!". Budget deficit??

How about this. Buy 4 season tickets at the 50 yard line and donate them to DVIS for single mothers who need to give their children a decent distraction from the crap they may be dealing with. There thats constructive. And quit belittling our QB and coaches when they have a setback, there's 2.

How about this. Buy 4 season tickets at the 50 yard line and donate them to DVIS for single mothers who need to give their children a decent distraction from the crap they may be dealing with. There thats constructive. And quit belittling our QB and coaches when they have a setback, there's 2.

You're mistaking me for a different poster on here. Very unobservant of you

No I've been observant of you all along. You've cleaned it up a bit for awhile, but you are showing it again my friend.

Furthermore we don't want you as our coach.

You're not my friend. And I'm not sure if anyone told you or not, but you're not the arbiter of this board or the validity of the comments on here. You offer nothing more substantive than anyone else on here, so check your ego and calumnies at the door you dink.

Grad07 was right there with Grad06 for awhile on we need a new quarterback until the tide of what Dane was doing bowled him over. Now he's on our coach and the salary we can pay him.

There are many benefits to having a solid football coach/program(larger student pool) you dink.

People remember, you aren't that popular on the board.

Master Butt Oreo Commentater

Thanks for the nice names you're calling everyone now. Gay4pay is a really good one! It isn't just three that have that sentiment.

These type of threads really show the difference between posters who know what they're talking about and those who don't have a clue.
Seems like we have these conversations every couple of years and money is always the common denominator. It seems pointless to go through the process to hire a good coach only to let him get poached away without a real fight. If we were going to do that we were better off with Blankenship at the helm. It just sickens me that we put ourselves in this situation so often. Pay the man and his staff and be done with this!

Do people think we've just got a vault of cash that Gragg can't decide if he wants to open or not?
Last Quarterly meeting I was privy to, there was an ungodly amount of money in the endowment fund. If the University is already investing millions per year in the O&M for the football and basketball teams, get serious and pay the coaches so the University can realize a return on investment.

Do people think we've just got a vault of cash that Gragg can't decide if he wants to open or not?
This is probably the 1st time we have been in this position with football where we are on such a rapid ascension with strong momentum in recruiting that the Tulsa 400 needs to be revisited about ponying up to keep Monty and this staff together for 5-6 years. If we somehow get Monty to stay through a 5th or 6th season, I think the national media are talking about us like they did Houston at the end of last year and the start of this year.

Shoot...Wal Mart's CEO is a TU grad! Why the hell are we not exploiting that relationship more? How does McMillon Endowed Football Head Coach sound? or McMillon Field House for the name of the IPF?

Last edited:
Last Quarterly meeting I was privy to, there was an ungodly amount of money in the endowment fund. If the University is already investing millions per year in the O&M for the football and basketball teams, get serious and pay the coaches so the University can realize a return on investment.
I'd be glad to purchase 4 season tickets for donation each year to witness this TU brand of football . Phil is a great coach and recruiter and I'd love to see him stay here and make TU a force to be reckoned with each season. Kragthorpe left for Louisville and was let go after three years, Graham is having trouble this year at Arizona State....

Endowment is off limits. Forget about that. That's also public numbers.
Agree. Unless someone is donating money specifically to endow parts of the football program, you can't really touch the endowment to make this happen long term. Duke basketball is fully endowed...Coach K's salary, all 12 scholarships, assistant's salaries...100% paid for through donations and using the interest on the donations to run the program. I can't say that is necessarily feasible for an FBS program but you can certainly start looking to do that for coaches' salaries. If you can't do it for the head coach, then raise enough $ to do it for the assistant coaches' pool.

Agree. Unless someone is donating money specifically to endow parts of the football program, you can't really touch the endowment to make this happen long term. Duke basketball is fully endowed...Coach K's salary, all 12 scholarships, assistant's salaries...100% paid for through donations and using the interest on the donations to run the program. I can't say that is necessarily feasible for an FBS program but you can certainly start looking to do that for coaches' salaries. If you can't do it for the head coach, then raise enough $ to do it for the assistant coaches' pool.
Don't I remember hearing that the endowment is officially off limits to athletics. Honestly, I have no idea what they do with the endowment. It would make sense to have a mandatory spending percentage per year (maybe a couple of percent less than the average growth over the last 3-5 years?)

Anyways, I don't care if it requires Gragg to sell cupcakes and carwashes on 11th street. Get the money. Pay the man.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Can use endowment for academics/ facilities. Guess what, this frees up money for athletics. Endowment is moot argument.
Bigger question TU has to answer; do they want to enlarge the school/student body? If they do than invest in basketball and football and increase class size.
If they are happy being one of the smallest division 1 program than just keep hiring the top up and coming coaches.

This has seemed like a never ending transition so I'm good with getting it over with.

It has seemed like the Clancys have been acting in an official capacity quite a bit this semester anyways.

I really really like them, by the way. Had the pleasure of getting to visit with them awhile at the Houston pregame event and they are so approachable and down to earth and genuine and all in on TU.

Reactions: BasPlayr
We cannot compete , with some of the big schools with money but ,we can offer security, how about a 10 year contract with a really high buy out. his wife can join a ladies club and be around for several years, the children can make friends for a life time, and offer some increases over the period. we need a really good sales person to sell this, it could be done....also he would have a chance to be a leader in the community, also remind him that his salary will be more than 99% of the citizens.

On the flip side that's also a big risk for a school like TU if we aren't in a fully funded contract situation.

IOW, how many of our big donors are a little preoccupied with paying former coaches at the moment?

I'm enjoying the ride. I'd rather be worried about losing coaches than having no one interested in them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT