ADVERTISEMENT

PAY. THE. MAN.

No. Don't pay the man.

I think Hurricane Monte has done a great job. I think he's a good guy too. I want him to be the head coach and take us places. BUT:

1. We've played this game before, and lost:
A) One time we had this head coach who took the basketball program over from a home town guy who had really put the program in the cellar. He had some mediocre success fairly quickly and we rewarded him with a fat contract. With every inkling of success, he got paid. The program stagnated and it was hard to get rid of him.
B) One time, we had a head basketball coach he took over from a guy, the new guy came from Kansas and did OK, and we offered to pay him more than we offered to pay any other basketball coach so he could be the coach in waiting for Kansas. In spite of our offer to pay the man, he left for the first "big job" he could get.
C) One time, we had a football coach he was a jerk but won lots of games. We paid him the second highest salary in our league and he was never going to leave. He left at the first big time offer he received (but left there for the next big time offer he received).

2. We can't afford to pay him enough to "lock him down." Well, maybe we "won't afford" is a better way of saying it. A well known name, now with a track record of success as a head coach, will demand in excess of $2,000,000 easily. If we really wanted him to stay around, $2.5-3mil is more likely. Not only do I think it's too early to talk about that kind of money -

3. I'm not sure he stays anyway. We all dream of the winning coach who adopts Tulsa as home and is willing to leave a little money on thet able becacuse X, Y and Z. But coaches are ambitious type A personalities. It *could* happen, but it never has before. The odds are decent that, even if we gave him a mid-range salary of $2mil, he hops to a "better job" for a lateral salary anyway.

4. TOO SOON! For God's sake people, the guy is one his way to the first winning season with a senior QB and a bunch of guys he didn't recruit. His recruiting classes have been in the bottom querter of the league. Calm. Down.

Sure, give him a peanut. Extend his contract, bump him up a bit. Add auto raises if he hits goals. Give him more for assistants. I'm all for keeping this guy around. I like the guy. I want him to stay. But he is on the verge of having his first good year and hasn't had a solid recruiting class yet. We need a better plan than "pay the guy."

Strong argument that is easily supported.

You forget that if we lose him, we also lose much of his recruiting class which will put us in a pretty serious hole for several years to come.

Again, not trying to be the turd in the punchbowl... But are we talking about the 9th best recruiting class in the league? Bottom 25% and we use it as a reason for a raise?

Maybe we are getting a bunch of rough cut diamonds, and I do think our recruiting has improved (based on who we are winning recruiting battles against), but it hasn't bore itself out as any better than average yet. Not even that on paper (since you subscribe to rivals, I assume you marginally value their judgment. But other services also agree).

Again... Devil's advocate and all that. Sorry.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Again, not trying to be the turd in the punchbowl... But are we talking about the 9th best recruiting class in the league? Bottom 25% and we use it as a reason for a raise?

Maybe we are getting a bunch of rough cut diamonds, and I do think our recruiting has improved (based on who we are winning recruiting battles against), but it hasn't bore itself out as any better than average yet. Not even that on paper (since you subscribe to rivals, I assume you marginally value their judgment. But other services also agree).

Again... Devil's advocate and all that. Sorry.
Yeah. The class that we have coming in should not be rated that low. The running backs alone are ridiculous, and the tall receiver is going to be a monster too. The class is very under rated and under the radar which I appreciate.

I still say, pay the man.

It's not a good sign when Mrs. Monty is quoted as being extremely disappointed in the crowd. I wonder how much she and the Montgomery kids are liking Tulsa (other than the pathetic crowds at home games)?

Looks like we have some recruits getting sniped by some big time programs. That says to me this staff knows how to find legit talent that has flown under the radar - exactly what this program needs to continue this upward trajectory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT