ADVERTISEMENT

PAY. THE. MAN.

We've been lucky lately with the coaches we've hired, but I don't really see many up and coming coaches out there whom we could grab if Monty left that are that impressive. Who are we gonna get that's anything close? Kendall Briles? I suppose we could go after the Texas assistants we lost, but I'm not too enamored with them.

Assuming we have a vacancy, it will be interesting to see if Rhett Lashlee's people show up hat in hand.

We probably could not get him for reasons unrelated to money, but Ty Detmer may be looking for work elsewhere and only has one year of non-high school experience.

We cannot compete , with some of the big schools with money but ,we can offer security, how about a 10 year contract with a really high buy out. his wife can join a ladies club and be around for several years, the children can make friends for a life time, and offer some increases over the period. we need a really good sales person to sell this, it could be done....also he would have a chance to be a leader in the community, also remind him that his salary will be more than 99% of the citizens.
This was the Doug Wojick approach. Get ahead of competitors when he showed a little success with a long term contracts. I'm not suggesting it's the wrong thing to do but based on 2 or 3 years it's risky.

This was the Doug Wojick approach. Get ahead of competitors when he showed a little success with a long term contracts. I'm not suggesting it's the wrong thing to do but based on 2 or 3 years it's risky.

I like this approach as well.

GO TU!!!

First 2 seasons as a head coach, 2 bowl appearances. Last 4 years as an assistant coach and set offensive records each season. I'd say he deserves his current employer to get out in front of this.

Oh and has all these commitments in the summer that we can track through their senior year in HS. Talent from last class contributing and doing well.

Haisten doesn't provide any solutions on how TU can afford a $2M annual salary for the head coach though.

Spot on. We can't print our own money to keep the guy. We're a tiny private school with marginal attendance. Where would we find 2 million a year to pay a head coach that kind of dough? Even if we sold out every single seat to every game, could the program afford it with ticket and TV revenues?

Spot on. We can't print our own money to keep the guy. We're a tiny private school with marginal attendance. Where would we find 2 million a year to pay a head coach that kind of dough? Even if we sold out every single seat to every game, could the program afford it with ticket and TV revenues?

That's on Gragg and the supporters of the university to step up and accomplish. That includes you.

Tulsa still has a couple of corporate HQs in Tulsa. Time to hit them up for a little more sponsorship dough, maybe put some towards an endowed Head Football coach. QT is one. QT is wildly successful and is the type of business that is somewhat insulated. Wal Mart CEO is a TU guy (I've mentioned that before as well). Rib Crib.

QT is highly unlikely to ever be a major sponsor of TU sports.
Why? One of their co-founders Chester Cadieux was on the TU board of trustees and he's TU's business hall of fame. His son, the current CEO (Chet Cadieux) is a TU alumni. I'm sure if they endowed something related to the athletics program we could put the Cadieux name on campus as well as Quick Trip's.

What does QT get out of it?

They already control the Tulsa market. They don't need the good will "publicity". Their TU alum CEO made it very clear years back if TU was inviting him to join the board in hope of financial contributions they should consider somebody else.

QT does racing. They (and their CEO) don't care much about any other sport.

What does QT get out of it?

They already control the Tulsa market. They don't need the good will "publicity". Their TU alum CEO made it very clear years back if TU was inviting him to join the board in hope of financial contributions they should consider somebody else.

QT does racing. They (and their CEO) don't care much about any other sport.
That's like saying what does FedEx get out of sponsoring Memphis athletics?

You guys sure are good at spending other people's money. Wasn't the campaign to keep Self funded by lots of donations?

And speaking of, I hate to be the realist but it really only delays they inevitable.
Well, then we'd only be paying the advanced amount for a short period. Lump on a hefty buyout on the back end of the contracted pay increase and TU could actually come out ahead + have one or two more years of success before having to explore the coaching carousel again.

That would also match up nicely with the time frame on the conference's media rights renegotiation which by all accounts is supposed to increase our yearly media payout.

I'm all for retention and all for some key sponsors stepping up. I just know QT is highly unlikely to be part of that group.

I could see TU possibly (big maybe) getting QT to put up free tix or some sort of co-promo for cheap tix like they have done with Drillers in the past. Those type of in kind deals are worth potential millions.

More individual benefactors like Mike Case make way more sense than ever counting on QT money.

With all due respect SMU does not sell out its 30,000 seat stadium. But is paying its coach 2.4 million annually.

I'm not sure that I agree with your premise that if Tulsa sold out Chapman's 30,000 seat stadium that they still wouldn't have enough revenue to pay a 2 million dollar salary.

But with all that said, I agree with you that it will be hard for Tulsa to keep Montgomery when other sharks are swimming in the waters with huge pay days forthcoming.

Tulsa is also receiving much more revenue then it has ever received because of its association with the AAC. This in turn should give the University the ability to pay more for coaches then in the past.

GO TU!!!!!

If TU sold out at face value every time it would be in excess of $600,000 per home game not including any ancillary income (F&B, sponsorships, tailgating spots, etc...).

If ticket sales are strong for football and basketball then the athletic program is on very solid ground.

Reactions: el duran
With all due respect SMU does not sell out its 30,000 seat stadium. But is paying its coach 2.4 million annually.

I'm not sure that I agree with your premise that if Tulsa sold out Chapman's 30,000 seat stadium that they still wouldn't have enough revenue to pay a 2 million dollar salary.

But with all that said, I agree with you that it will be hard for Tulsa to keep Montgomery when other sharks are swimming in the waters with huge pay days forthcoming.

Tulsa is also receiving much more revenue then it has ever received because of its association with the AAC. This in turn should give the University the ability to pay more for coaches then in the past.

GO TU!!!!!

SMU has 11,500 students and a $1.5 billion dollar endowment compared to our 4,300 students and $1 billion endowment. We can beat them in the field but we can't touch them financially.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Walmart CEO is also a TU grad. In terms of donors we're apparently not getting great returns on our investments lol. Speaks well of the business school though

If TU sold out at face value every time it would be in excess of $600,000 per home game not including any ancillary income (F&B, sponsorships, tailgating spots, etc...).

If ticket sales are strong for football and basketball then the athletic program is on very solid ground.
The only way to increase ticket sales is to keep winning. The best way to do that is to keep the good coach we have now. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Short term investment with a good coach brings medium length program strength, providing a longer term strength of program, that increases revenues.

If you pay 800,000(for example) starting pay, increase it up to 2+ mil per year for a short period of time, it allows for medium length strengthening of program, which provides increased revenue to get somebody as good or better, and when the coach moves on it allows the new guy a better roster.

All this increases revenue to pay the newer guy 1 mil starting salary and be able to more easily afford keeping him for a little longer time. That short term investment for a couple of three years to pay Montgomery can have long term benefits that continue long after Montgomery is gone. You have to spend money somewhere along the line to make money.

I can guarantee you that despite the fact that they got lucky with being able to keep good coaches longer, that it took a little bit of up front investment by schools like TCU, Boise St, Gonzaga, Wichita St., Butler, etc.

So we are at least all in agreement that TU will need to up Monty's pay in order to keep him and his staff. I don't think anyone on this board is disputing this is a worthy investment and goal for the GHC.

Reactions: RealTUTypical
Seeing this thread reappear every few years concerning Coach (fill in the blank), makes me want to blow my brains out.

Seeing this thread reappear every few years concerning Coach (fill in the blank), makes me want to blow my brains out.

I'd put some money down for an endowed salary for coach "fill in the blank" though. Is that allowed? I'm dead serious.

Also, please stop mentioning Walmart as an option for donations FTLOG. Not in their business model and I just cannot with the negative attention in my lifetime. "Let's have our employees live on food stamps and give some extra cash to a tiny private university." You should know better as a lib, Aston.

Reactions: tutailgator
I'd put some money down for an endowed salary for coach "fill in the blank" though. Is that allowed? I'm dead serious.

Also, please stop mentioning Walmart as an option for donations FTLOG. Not in their business model and I just cannot with the negative attention in my lifetime. "Let's have our employees live on food stamps and give some extra cash to a tiny private university." You should know better as a lib, Aston.

Can only speak for myself, but I didn't mean that the company itself would be a donor. Just the well-paid CEO who has a personal connection

I never mentioned Walmart. I just agreed with a comment that said we should go after more corporate donors. Be they the actual company or the heads of the companies.

1,000 people/companies committed to $10,000 over 3 years = $10,000,000 in funding.

That's $277.77 monthly. Pretty affordable for just about any business and plenty of individuals. Include 4 tickets and some vip perks so you make a positive impact on the attendance problem.

Tier it up from there with additional perks for another group of 750, then 500, 250, 100, 50, whatever... That could build a significant athletics endowment over a short amount of time. Throw in additional perks for anyone that pays their full commitment up front.

Surely there are plenty of schools that have done similar programs. There is no need to reinvent the wheel or get super creative. They just need to create packages that make sense and entice people to commit their time and money.

No. Don't pay the man.

I think Hurricane Monte has done a great job. I think he's a good guy too. I want him to be the head coach and take us places. BUT:

1. We've played this game before, and lost:
A) One time we had this head coach who took the basketball program over from a home town guy who had really put the program in the cellar. He had some mediocre success fairly quickly and we rewarded him with a fat contract. With every inkling of success, he got paid. The program stagnated and it was hard to get rid of him.
B) One time, we had a head basketball coach he took over from a guy, the new guy came from Kansas and did OK, and we offered to pay him more than we offered to pay any other basketball coach so he could be the coach in waiting for Kansas. In spite of our offer to pay the man, he left for the first "big job" he could get.
C) One time, we had a football coach he was a jerk but won lots of games. We paid him the second highest salary in our league and he was never going to leave. He left at the first big time offer he received (but left there for the next big time offer he received).

2. We can't afford to pay him enough to "lock him down." Well, maybe we "won't afford" is a better way of saying it. A well known name, now with a track record of success as a head coach, will demand in excess of $2,000,000 easily. If we really wanted him to stay around, $2.5-3mil is more likely. Not only do I think it's too early to talk about that kind of money -

3. I'm not sure he stays anyway. We all dream of the winning coach who adopts Tulsa as home and is willing to leave a little money on thet able becacuse X, Y and Z. But coaches are ambitious type A personalities. It *could* happen, but it never has before. The odds are decent that, even if we gave him a mid-range salary of $2mil, he hops to a "better job" for a lateral salary anyway.

4. TOO SOON! For God's sake people, the guy is one his way to the first winning season with a senior QB and a bunch of guys he didn't recruit. His recruiting classes have been in the bottom querter of the league. Calm. Down.

Sure, give him a peanut. Extend his contract, bump him up a bit. Add auto raises if he hits goals. Give him more for assistants. I'm all for keeping this guy around. I like the guy. I want him to stay. But he is on the verge of having his first good year and hasn't had a solid recruiting class yet. We need a better plan than "pay the guy."

The university's financial problems would make a big salary increase pretty much impossible right now IMO.

A modest increase and contract extension at the end of the season would probably be in the cards, funded by donors of course - though probably not enough to keep coach around assuming we do indeed finish the year strong.

What TU needs is more students coming in, and more fans in the stands. Let's enjoy the ride and not worry about the consequences for coaching.

No. Don't pay the man.

I think Hurricane Monte has done a great job. I think he's a good guy too. I want him to be the head coach and take us places. BUT:

1. We've played this game before, and lost:
A) One time we had this head coach who took the basketball program over from a home town guy who had really put the program in the cellar. He had some mediocre success fairly quickly and we rewarded him with a fat contract. With every inkling of success, he got paid. The program stagnated and it was hard to get rid of him.
B) One time, we had a head basketball coach he took over from a guy, the new guy came from Kansas and did OK, and we offered to pay him more than we offered to pay any other basketball coach so he could be the coach in waiting for Kansas. In spite of our offer to pay the man, he left for the first "big job" he could get.
C) One time, we had a football coach he was a jerk but won lots of games. We paid him the second highest salary in our league and he was never going to leave. He left at the first big time offer he received (but left there for the next big time offer he received).

2. We can't afford to pay him enough to "lock him down." Well, maybe we "won't afford" is a better way of saying it. A well known name, now with a track record of success as a head coach, will demand in excess of $2,000,000 easily. If we really wanted him to stay around, $2.5-3mil is more likely. Not only do I think it's too early to talk about that kind of money -

3. I'm not sure he stays anyway. We all dream of the winning coach who adopts Tulsa as home and is willing to leave a little money on thet able becacuse X, Y and Z. But coaches are ambitious type A personalities. It *could* happen, but it never has before. The odds are decent that, even if we gave him a mid-range salary of $2mil, he hops to a "better job" for a lateral salary anyway.

4. TOO SOON! For God's sake people, the guy is one his way to the first winning season with a senior QB and a bunch of guys he didn't recruit. His recruiting classes have been in the bottom querter of the league. Calm. Down.

Sure, give him a peanut. Extend his contract, bump him up a bit. Add auto raises if he hits goals. Give him more for assistants. I'm all for keeping this guy around. I like the guy. I want him to stay. But he is on the verge of having his first good year and hasn't had a solid recruiting class yet. We need a better plan than "pay the guy."

You forget that if we lose him, we also lose much of his recruiting class which will put us in a pretty serious hole for several years to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT