ADVERTISEMENT

Partial scholarships..

noble cane

I.T.S. University President
Feb 25, 2002
Do we offer partials in football?

I know its common practice in baseball, softball and other sports.. but i thought football was a full schollie..

Anyone with actual knowledge that can answer?

I know its common practice in baseball, softball and other sports.. but i thought football was a full schollie..

In D1 athletics Football and Basketball are full scholarship sports.

noble cane said:

[/quote]
The term the NCAA uses is “equivalency”. Men’s and women’s basketball, women’s volleyball and football are the equivalency sports we have at TU. Women’s golf is a near equivalency as you have enough scholarships to compete in any given tournament. The ones who suffer are men’s and women’s soccer who have like 30’playets each and have 12.5 and 14.5 scholarships (or something like that). Baseball too.

The term the NCAA uses is “equivalency”. Men’s and women’s basketball, women’s volleyball and football are the equivalency sports we have at TU. Women’s golf is a near equivalency as you have enough scholarships to compete in any given tournament. The ones who suffer are men’s and women’s soccer who have like 30’playets each and have 12.5 and 14.5 scholarships (or something like that). Baseball too.[/QUOTE]

I’m well aware of what the term is and how the system works. The question was asked in simple terms and I answered in simple terms.

Last edited:
The term the NCAA uses is “equivalency”. Men’s and women’s basketball, women’s volleyball and football are the equivalency sports we have at TU. Women’s golf is a near equivalency as you have enough scholarships to compete in any given tournament. The ones who suffer are men’s and women’s soccer who have like 30’playets each and have 12.5 and 14.5 scholarships (or something like that). Baseball too.

I’m well aware of what the term is and how the system works. The question was asked in simple terms and I answered in simple terms.[/QUOTE]
And even at that, it's not as simple. The scholarship allotments for sports are really complicated to follow and even if the NCAA says you can have x number in a given sport, the university doesn't have to award that many, as long as the opportunity and resources for men and women are equal at that institution (for instance, women's soccer may be allowed 14.5 scholarships, I know at ORU they are only given budget for 12.5 for women's soccer and men's soccer is even less). I don't know if TU limits any of it in this way to reduce it's overall athletic budget. I do know that TU previously limited athletes' ability to live off campus and utilize a stipend to pay for rent and food because why spend real money when you can offer a nice apartment on campus and an on campus dining option and just move play money around in a budget spreadsheet? I think they do have some exceptions to do this for but I think they are few and far between and are probably limited to student athletes who are married.

Thanks for the help..

A friend told me their son was offered a 1/4th schollie but they couldnt afford the rest..

It didnt make sense to me and i was too lazy to look it up.. but, i knew someone on the board would know..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT