ADVERTISEMENT

On-Campus Tailgating Cancelled

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
TU just sent out an email that all tailgating on the Commons, Glenn Dobbs Drive and anywhere on campus will not be allowed this season. This really sucks.

I’m looking for ideas on spots to tailgate. Thoughts?

Yes...yes it does. Thought we could have some semblance of normalcy.

Drip, Drip, Drip re: the College and probably the Pro Football season. A few of the smaller leagues and U Conn have actually cancelled the season. The rest of the conferences and teams are holding on, perhaps hoping for a miracle. I have continuously been a TU football season ticket holder since 1977, basketball since 1980, the Tulsa Drillers since 1987. I usually go to approximately 100 live sporting events annually.

This calendar year I attended most but not all of the TU men's and some of the TU women's basketball games held after January 1st. That will probably be all that I see live in 2020. I did not go to the Drillers Lite College games. There were too many people without masks sitting close together in the seats.

I am still isolating. I am almost 72 years old, I have auto immune diseases and I am the sole caretaker for an adult son. Also, I do not have any relatives within 1,000 miles of Tulsa to take care of me if I become ill or my son if I am ill.

My isolation involves working in a humble office with one employee besides me. We lock our door, we deal with our clients by phone, e-mail and regular mail. I have not been in a restaurant since March 17th. Up to that point I would go out everyday to a different restaurant for lunch and get a take out for my son.

I do not like the way the virus has disrupted our lives. I also do not want to tempt the virus. Will there be any fans at football to miss the tailgating?

Last edited:
Why are we not having conversations about moving the season to spring?

TU fired 47 people today across the university to save two and a half million dollars. For not great reasons, Tulsa needs to play a football season to get the tv money so they don’t have to do this again in a few months.

They will play the games without fans initially. That’s been a given since they announced homecoming was virtual. But I still think we will see a few games with a limited number of fans in Skelly by the end of November.

If football is played outside, remind me why we cannot have 50% attendance?

Another Drip with the cancellation of the Toledo game. Realistically, I do not think there will be much of a football season, if any. The NBA, MLB, NFL etc are organizations that control the overall sport. College Football and Basketball involve a number of individual fiefdoms, i.e., Conferences. The big money conferences are not willing to give up the television and other revenues. Although those conferences dropped some games they do not have a realistic safety plan.. The virus does not appear to be going away. I still think that the powers of college football are playing this down to the very end with hopes that a miracle will occur. That is a poor plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT