ADVERTISEMENT

Official fire Dr. G and Phillip Montgomery thread

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
Iv seen enough, time for a change, Phillip seems like a good guy but is not a good head coach.

Reactions: TUGrad06
I'm in favor of firing them both but I don't have the $$ to pay the buyout for Monty. And nobody wants him since he is a protege of the despised discredited Broyles. We are stuck with him until we can afford to fire him.
Attendance later this year will perhaps compel the Board to give him his well deserved walking papers

Lottery draws on Saturdays right? I'll go put $2 on my 1:29885949 odds. If I win, that's the first thing i'll do.

Reactions: TULSARISING
This loss was by every definition on Montgomery . This might have been an interesting night to try another quarterback . We have lots of other deficiencies including recruiting, player, development, and play calling. I tend to like Montgomery but he isn't getting the job done.

I donate consistently to the athletic department but always make sure I donate some amount more to academics. And my donations are substantial. And I am not an alumnus.

But I am a life-long Tulsan passionate about the U and the athletic department.

One more sad night doesn't change than, but it does make me hope that those with cash (if they care any more and I'm not sure they do) will start the process of buying out Monty. He clearly doesn't have it.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I give... materially
To tu law and ghc
And I demand better and expect better

I think the admin at tu demands nothing and expects even less

Or is that expects nothing and demands even less?

I’m not going to stop donating to TU (in fact, I’m willing to give even more), but I do expect better than what’s going on right now.

I donate consistently to the athletic department but always make sure I donate some amount more to academics. And my donations are substantial. And I am not an alumnus.

But I am a life-long Tulsan passionate about the U and the athletic department.

One more sad night doesn't change than, but it does make me hope that those with cash (if they care any more and I'm not sure they do) will start the process of buying out Monty. He clearly doesn't have it.

Both of these are correct.

And while I understand Originals feelings, I don't think it's true. If it is I would expect we will see a lot of changes soon.

Do you think are lettermen of the past think this ok? There aren't a lot of TU people, this is a case where it will be beneficial for getting things done. This board is a bit of an outlier for a "regular" fan, but I would say it accurately reflects the the passionate supporters of athletics.

What we feel they feel. No one is happy about this situation. The question is what will they do about it?

And by trying another QB, I would mean Boomer.

I would also put President in as a receiver because he could help the team at that position. Someone should show him old video of Drew Pearson.

There is a BIG difference between whinning and expecting more than a 1 or 2 win season when you are paying over a million a year to a coach, think before you call somebody something

Or how about you look at the situation and realize that what Junkie is saying is that if you want a new coach or AD, then pay in. Tulsa isn't sitting on a big pile of cash right now and the University is looking at some hard decisions. You know what would make that decision easier? The cash to pay the buy outs.

So if you want a different situation (aka whinning about Monty) right this instant, pay up. Otherwise it's going to take just a little bit to figure out how to afford this.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Or how about you look at the situation and realize that what Junkie is saying is that if you want a new coach or AD, then pay in. Tulsa isn't sitting on a big pile of cash right now and the University is looking at some hard decisions. You know what would make that decision easier? The cash to pay the buy outs.

So if you want a different situation (aka whinning about Monty) right this instant, pay up. Otherwise it's going to take just a little bit to figure out how to afford this.
I’ve always felt that at a certain level, coaches play a role. But we’re also talking about a school that’s the smallest in the nation. And you want us to compete with the biggest schools in the country? Okay great. How?

Coaches can only scheme so much. If you want to win, stop spending money to fire coaches and pay for new coaches. Put that money into our facilities and into upgrades that will attract players to come here. Coaches can only coach the people that want to be here. We need to focus on making people want to be here.

And that means donating money BUT ALSO it means putting pressure on the board. Because the board has done a lot of terrible things and blamed them on the AD. Ask anyone who shut down Golf. It’s not who you thought. What about the IPF? Gragg had the plans all drawn up. Who shut that down? Hmm. Sounds like we need to challenge the board to care more and help the situation for once instead of always putting us behind the 8 ball.

Coaches can only coach the people that want to be here. We need to focus on making people want to be here.

And that means donating money BUT ALSO it means putting pressure on the board. Because the board has done a lot of terrible things and blamed them on the AD. Ask anyone who shut down Golf. It’s not who you thought. What about the IPF? Gragg had the plans all drawn up. Who shut that down? Hmm. Sounds like we need to challenge the board to care more and help the situation for once instead of always putting us behind the 8 ball.

I disagree our size is the problem. You only need 80+ kids to play and we are way bigger than that. School size is about alumni. For schools like Oklahoma St, Kansas St, Auburn, etc that matters a lot. Those schools are in the middle of no where and if people didn't have a connection with them (particularly when they are bad) no one would drive two hours to see them.

Tulsa is in the middle of a million people, our supply of fans is fine if we make an effort towards them (they finally are). If we play well of course it will help.

Every great program started with a great coach. Texas has everything they could want. Poor coaching has cost them, bad decisions and evaluations hurt a program every time. Hence Kragthorpe came in with nothing and built a program, slowly at first. As the program picked up support we continued to have good coaches who pushed us even higher.

Especially for Tulsa it is all about the coach.

We’re just missing a QB, the sky is not falling.

Umm, who is that on? President, skipper, Boomer, the kids who transferred. Who is responsible for these decisions.

Even if you think Skipper is the issue, he maybe but I don't think so, that's on the coach of four years who recruits the players.

Yet again though, how often does Tulsa start it's offense in a bad situation? 1st and 15 happens all the time. 3rds and short turn to 3rds and long on bad play calls and penalties routinely. In close games coaching decisions matter. Monty is 3-10 with all three wins in OT. His coaching is costing this team in little ways that make big differences.

Maybe this is the reason why we didnt go all out on recruiting John Stephen Jones. Then there might be enough money for any buyout.

We need to be recruiting more students, period. And we’re at it, consider something similar to what Rice is doing.

Reactions: TU4ever2
We need to be recruiting more students, period. And we’re at it, consider something similar to what Rice is doing.

This has been the issue with the university for some time, the whole "Harvard of the Mid-West" thing is all tuition and no payout. I can get a good education at OU and OSU these days for a whole lot less. Heck, I can get a good education through on-line classes these days.

Leadership at the University is poor and stuck in the past, I worry that the university will disappear all together...

...and where’s the $$$ going to come from to implement such a program ?

The money is going to come from millionaires and billionaires. Same as where the money is going to come from for our nations social needs.

Its not charity or philosophy. They are under tremendous pressure by Congress, as are many major research universities that depend on federal grants, to control student costs. TU doesnt have those pressures, so they are doing what they need to do to make the school more affordable. If you are looking for problems at TU, you have more choices than a Golden Corral on Friday night. Making it more affordable for the students who belong there isnt one of them. If the trustees are doing one thing right, it is refusing to cut the actual tuition dollars collected by agreeing to tap into long term financing. Now about those millions in salaries paid to senior administrative positions that have no direct education or research function ....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT