ADVERTISEMENT

Official fire Bill Young thread

Like we said last week. Probably not Young , but the other cook in the kitchen.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I assume he means Norwood. I agree. The offense is still doing fine , but the whole defensive staff needs to hit the road

Monty is doing fine. He got 50 points. He needs to look at the other side of the ball seriously.

If this was just one game, I wouldn't be so critical. But this has been a trend . Need to correct it before it gets worse. ( If that's possible)

That's what's crazy I know we have the athletes too!!! No way we should lose this game!!
Watching the game tonight Tulsa players defending Toledo's WR's were either faked out of their shoes or were constantly one to three steps behind Toledo's WR's down field. Most of the time it wasn't even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
I don't generally like firing or demoting a coach during the season, but give someone else a chance. We already have, statistically, the worst defense in 1A. How much worse can worst get.

Graham may be looking for a job soon, but I hated his 3-3-5 crap he practiced here.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Defense definitely needs a complete rebuild. And possibly conscripting some offensive players to try out if need be. There should've been rubber bike horns and silly special effects sounds on that blocked PAT and 103 yard return by Toledo. Our guys were just diving all over like some damn British comedy bit...

Don't really "like" it but it's true. Not really the coaches but corners don't have a clue. I'd bench starters & use subs next game. Can't possibly do any worse. I've seen pitiful corner play over the years but this year is just something else. Watched Mem beat UCLA & Anthony Miller may set a new NCAA receiving record against us. So frustating! TU Football: 1st,last(in D),always!

Post meltdown thoughts ..
Offense is fine, but we are really going to need to improve on our passing game. Teams like Cinnci are going to be able to stop our run game if we can't keep them honest. Other then that, hard to complain when you score over 50 two weeks in a row.
Defense is a disaster, but they have also faced 3 pretty good offenses. No excuse , but just to point out. If the defense doesn't improve to at least average once the year is done, we need to be looking for a new defensive coach. If our defense was at least average, we would.be 2-1 today with a chance to probably have a 9-10 win year.

Giving up 3 one play drives is insane. Whatever happened with Keanu Hill, still haven't heard any clarification. I thought Whitfield would thrive at the Star position, but he hasn't been making as many big time plays like he did last year.

Maybe we should move Whitfield back to fs/ss, start Cannon at the Star.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The defender trailing the offensive player and not looking back can be the correct technique under certain situations, so don't be quick to lump every failed defensive situation together.

That said, the corners clearly are not being coached properly. One of two things is true: either the players lack the knowledge to execute what is being told to them or they lack the physical ability to execute it. Both are on the coaches. You either need to change what you do to fit the personnel you've got or convey what you want in a way that it can be understood and implemented. I saw too many situations last night where the secondary as a whole, but particularly the corners, didnt seem to know what to do and misalignment and busted assignments resulted. There needs to be immediate improvement here or people need to be shown the door. I had enough of the Div III and high school crap with BB. Bring people in who know how to teach and scheme. If all you bring to the table are basic ideas that usually work in lower levels of football, but aren't being followed or the opponent is picking apart, then you have no business at Tulsa. You can't dump BB for that reason then excuse the same performance on this staff.

saw too many situations last night where the secondary as a whole, but particularly the corners, didnt seem to know what to do and misalignment and busted assignments resulted. There needs to be immediate improvement here or people need to be shown the door

+100. Even pre-snap we were having difficulty lining up properly. And if the QB sent someone in motion or audibled it was almost guaranteed big play for Toledo.

I think this is a coaching philosophy and teaching problem and less of a recruiting/raw talent issue (BB years). Needs to be corrected fast though.

What are the odds if the defense just went to a sand lot style of play with no defensive coaches that they would be just as good or better than they are now?

Reactions: TULSARISING
Remember, Bill Young was fired at OSU for a reason.

I thought that was because Gundy thought he was told to relate to the kids.
His defenses weren't great but they at least existed.

Our D has been serviceable the last two years. I doubt he lost his mind on how to coach this year but hell, something happened.

I thought that was because Gundy thought he was told to relate to the kids.
His defenses weren't great but they at least existed.

Our D has been serviceable the last two years. I doubt he lost his mind on how to coach this year but hell, something happened.

Youngs defenses were always soft coverages... biggest gripe my Aggie brother in law had about him.

I am not sure the problem is the coordination as much as the talent. I'm concerned that we are suffering from the recruiting perception that this staff won't be here in 2 yrs and that Bill Young could be named HC.

I just don't get why we were running multiple linebackers for the entire game. They were running formations with 4 and 5 receivers and it meant that our safeties were having to help out the linebackers inside, we hardly ever had safety protection on those deep throws against our CB's. We should have had nickel and dime formations on defense, and instead we were running a base 4-3 the entire time. It's ridiculous. Any person that's decently good at Madden or the NCAA games knows you don't do that. Suits should rarely be in pass coverage.

I don't know how you can let them keep gashing you over the top like that. At some point you would just throw out the Hail Mary defense and make them beat you underneath.

Reactions: Air_Raid918
Young had issues defending spread offenses at OSU and recruiting. He plays primarily vanilla base with soft coverage in the back. I have no clue what he's doing now as we will play soft and then get beat deep.

I just don't get why we were running multiple linebackers for the entire game. They were running formations with 4 and 5 receivers and it meant that our safeties were having to help out the linebackers inside, we hardly ever had safety protection on those deep throws against our CB's. We should have had nickel and dime formations on defense, and instead we were running a base 4-3 the entire time. It's ridiculous. Any person that's decently good at Madden or the NCAA games knows you don't do that. Suits should rarely be in pass coverage.

I don't know how you can let them keep gashing you over the top like that. At some point you would just throw out the Hail Mary defense and make them beat you underneath.
Sorry. But this just isnt correct. Just because you show a 3 + LB at the line at the snap, doesnt mean that one of those guys doesnt withdraw into coverage. They were dropping eight and playing zone with a single safety deep for a fair portion of the second half trying to cut out the long balls, but still keep #25 from gashing us underneath. It doesnt matter what defense you play if the defenders fall down.

Oh be realistic, we should go after somebody realistic like Venables, Pruitt, or Aranda.
Wouldn't this be an attractive job for an up and comer? Lots of opportunity to turn around the defense (that's an understatement) and if you make the D good, with our O, this team would be really special and that'll punch tickets for people. Seriously a young guy can come in and make this a top 50 defense and we might be in a New Years bowl with our offense and that guy is set.

Sorry. But this just isnt correct. Just because you show a 3 + LB at the line at the snap, doesnt mean that one of those guys doesnt withdraw into coverage. They were dropping eight and playing zone with a single safety deep for a fair portion of the second half trying to cut out the long balls, but still keep #25 from gashing us underneath. It doesnt matter what defense you play if the defenders fall down.

This wasn't what I meant at all. I meant the LB's shouldn't even be on the field in 4 and 5 wide receiver sets because they are mismatched with quicker receivers (especially Suits and Edminston). I didn't mean they didn't drop into coverage. I know the LB's drop to cover, they just can't do it very well for very long. As soon as we were up by 3 TD's we should have started to cover every deep throw and made them complete the underneaths or run the ball. Giving up any plays over the top when you are up 3 scores is just inexcusable. That goes for falling down too. 1 safety overtop isn't going to cut it. I'd rather see a prevent defense with 3 men bracketed over top. Or a dime package cover 4 with 2 safeties deep, the outside CB's dropping deep and two more CB's on the slot receivers with only 1 LB on the field to be in run coverage Sure they would run a lot for a ton of yards, but it would have taken them time and effort, instead of 1 play drives.

I'm not even sure that our staff knows what cover 4 is!

Last edited:
Reactions: TUGrad06
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT