ADVERTISEMENT

Official fire Bill Young thread

This wasn't what I meant at all. I meant the LB's shouldn't even be on the field in 4 and 5 wide receiver sets because they are mismatched with quicker receivers (especially Suits and Edminston). I didn't mean they didn't drop into coverage. I know the LB's drop to cover, they just can't do it very well for very long. As soon as we were up by 3 TD's we should have started to cover every deep throw and made them complete the underneaths or run the ball. Giving up any plays over the top when you are up 3 scores is just inexcusable. That goes for falling down too. 1 safety overtop isn't going to cut it. I'd rather see a prevent defense with 3 men bracketed over top. Or a dime package cover 4 with 2 safeties deep, the outside CB's dropping deep and two more CB's on the slot receivers with only 1 LB on the field to be in run coverage Sure they would run a lot for a ton of yards, but it would have taken them time and effort, instead of 1 play drives.

I'm not even sure that our staff knows what cover 4 is!
Totally agree. 100%. Let one of us that plays madden or ncaa call the plays. We should've played cover 4 almost the entire 2nd half. Most of us knew we would lose when it was 31-28. Our defense is literally the worst.

Somewhere in the game thread, you can find me saying "we probably needed 7 there" when we were held to a field goal. Turns out I was completely right.

Youngs defenses were always soft coverages... biggest gripe my Aggie brother in law had about him.

I am not sure the problem is the coordination as much as the talent. I'm concerned that we are suffering from the recruiting perception that this staff won't be here in 2 yrs and that Bill Young could be named HC.
But we're not playing soft and we're not keeping anything in front. There is a cohesion issue between the front 7 (Young's responsibility) and the DBs (Norwood's) in that the soft zone run coverage doesn't generate enough pressure up front to allow the DBs to play island man coverage...especially when the safeties can't read anything and don't support the run or pass coverage. I've seen better safety play in intramural football (I'm serious). They are not on the same page in terms of their coverage calls.

QB pressure would solve a lot of the poor play in the back half. The lack of an effective pass rush this year is somewhat puzzling considering what we had last year and who returned.

We need to play Petera Wilson as an every down player. Brubaker does not cut it at the DE. He has done nothing this year except get beat. Changes need to be made and sit a couple of seniors on the bench.

Reactions: Air_Raid918
We need to play Petera Wilson as an every down player. Brubaker does not cut it at the DE. He has done nothing this year except get beat. Changes need to be made and sit a couple of seniors on the bench.
Honestly, we could employ a 4 standing DL with Shindelar and Brubaker in the middle and Wilson and Smith at the DEs and run crazy stunts every play. If the LBs can fill the run gaps you never know who's coming or from where.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Not having Schindelar didn't help at all. Hope he's doing alright.

I feel like the front 4 isn't as big of an issue as how (and who) we're playing in the middle of the field. I've said for several years that we need to develop a strong CB corps so we can play some quality nickel and dime packages instead of just a base 4-3 on every single down. I only heard 3 CB's names called on Saturday. Thomas, Robinson, and Green who seems to be playing CB even though he was brought in as a safety. Haven't heard anything out of Wadley and Hill is yet to be seen. We don't have enough GOOD CB's to combat a traditional spread offense. That's the biggest deficiency we have on defense and it's leading to playing linebackers who shouldn't be in on passing downs.

Not having Schindelar didn't help at all. Hope he's doing alright.

I feel like the front 4 isn't as big of an issue as how (and who) we're playing in the middle of the field. I've said for several years that we need to develop a strong CB corps so we can play some quality nickel and dime packages instead of just a base 4-3 on every single down. I only heard 3 CB's names called on Saturday. Thomas, Robinson, and Green who seems to be playing CB even though he was brought in as a safety. Haven't heard anything out of Wadley and Hill is yet to be seen. We don't have enough GOOD CB's to combat a traditional spread offense. That's the biggest deficiency we have on defense and it's leading to playing linebackers who shouldn't be in on passing downs.
Wadley was in street clothes. I have no idea where Hill is...(he is still listed on the online roster)

Somebody stated in another thread that Hill is "done". Hard to believe that if he is still on the sidelines. I thought I saw him at the Louisiana game, as well. Some ACL injuries/rehab can take longer to recover, but most now 6-8 months. If it's academics, why no word. One would think a reporter would have asked about Hill by now.

Somebody stated in another thread that Hill is "done". Hard to believe that if he is still on the sidelines. I thought I saw him at the Louisiana game, as well. Some ACL injuries/rehab can take longer to recover, but most now 6-8 months. If it's academics, why no word. One would think a reporter would have asked about Hill by now.

We have reporters covering our games?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ACL's are weird injuries to recover from to be honest. Some of his recovery may depend on whether or not he damaged the cartilage. Some ACL's also rip the sliver of bone the ligament attaches to away from the tibia (avulsion)...those are difficult and long recoveries. Also, how they reconstructed the ligament has an effect on recovery time (patella tendon, hamstring, or cadaver). Hill is much needed right now. He had great cover skills and was physical.

One thing I've noticed about our DBs right now is NO ONE takes their chuck to hinder the release off the LOS. IMO, that chuck is so important to disrupt the timing of the play. A pass rush helps disrupt timing, but so does a good chuck on a WR at the LOS.

Reactions: astonmartin708
But we're not playing soft and we're not keeping anything in front. . .

This.

Our defense has rarely had the athletes the offense has had. But it seems the compensation has always been a "bend" strategy that attempted to make the other offense earn yards. Basically acknowledging that "hard nosed" defense strategy might not get a stop, but we can at least keep you honest. Sure, it was frustrating watching them toss the ball 6 yards every down as we back peddled before the snap - but they had to at least execute to get those 6 yards. Sometimes they screwed up. Other times we were able to make a play.

Now it seems like we are giving them the option of taking the free six yards or having a decent shot of hitting a long ball. Or running it. The excuse that we are packing the box and giving up the long balls doesn't hold up to the stats. Nor are we backing off to defend the long ball.

Really, I'm not sure where to start...

This.

Our defense has rarely had the athletes the offense has had. But it seems the compensation has always been a "bend" strategy that attempted to make the other offense earn yards. Basically acknowledging that "hard nosed" defense strategy might not get a stop, but we can at least keep you honest. Sure, it was frustrating watching them toss the ball 6 yards every down as we back peddled before the snap - but they had to at least execute to get those 6 yards. Sometimes they screwed up. Other times we were able to make a play.

Now it seems like we are giving them the option of taking the free six yards or having a decent shot of hitting a long ball. Or running it. The excuse that we are packing the box and giving up the long balls doesn't hold up to the stats. Nor are we backing off to defend the long ball.

Really, I'm not sure where to start...
With a new coordinator?

Reactions: TUGrad06
With a new coordinator?
There is no way to "gimmick" a defense when you don't have the talent. Jeremy Smith is now getting two O-Linemen on him because our interior linemen are not getting the job done. I like Kolton Sindelar but he is being sacrificed at tackle because TU doesn't have quality talent at defensive tackle. You do not play a true freshman at that position unless you're desperate!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Might as well start going for it on every 4th down and onside kicking it every time....I believe the success rate of an onside kick is 20% at this point that might be higher than the chances of our defense stopping somebody from scoring.

We are Baylor under Art Briles (absent the rapes and coverups) before he hire Phil Bennett as his D.C. and defense was made priority. They won their share of games but they had to out score people.

We are Baylor under Art Briles (absent the rapes and coverups) before he hire Phil Bennett as his D.C. and defense was made priority. They won their share of games but they had to out score people.
He'll probably be out of a job after the season's over at Arizona St. Hint hint Phil Monty.

There is no way to "gimmick" a defense when you don't have the talent. Jeremy Smith is now getting two O-Linemen on him because our interior linemen are not getting the job done. I like Kolton Sindelar but he is being sacrificed at tackle because TU doesn't have quality talent at defensive tackle. You do not play a true freshman at that position unless you're desperate!
To be fair to Kolton. He wasn't in the game vs Toledo. (Didn't somebody mention a family illness somewhere?) Must have been really hard for him to watch, knowing he wasn't able to help in a close game. I kind of wonder if he might have been a factor that would have swung it the other way. In any case, Kolton and his family have my best wishes.

I really do love Coach Young and Coach Norwood. I'm just not sure they're getting the job done as well as we need it to be done. It kind of reminds me of a Bill Blankenship situation all over again, where we can tell that there's something special about the coach and his relationship with his players, but the quality product just isn't there on the field.

To be fair to Kolton. He wasn't in the game vs Toledo. (Didn't somebody mention a family illness somewhere?) Must have been really hard for him to watch, knowing he wasn't able to help in a close game. I kind of wonder if he might have been a factor that would have swung it the other way. In any case, Kolton and his family have my best wishes.

I really do love Coach Young and Coach Norwood. I'm just not sure they're getting the job done as well as we need it to be done. It kind of reminds me of a Bill Blankenship situation all over again, where we can tell that there's something special about the coach and his relationship with his players, but the quality product just isn't there on the field.
I will say his replacement Flanary did a good job for a true freshman. Didn't really make any plays, but kept his gap like he should . Probably not ready yet, but I think he has a future

Reactions: astonmartin708

This coaching staff was successful last year with Blankenship's players. Quite a few graduated last year and the level of talent has dropped. The redshirts are the future for Montgomery, but we are in gap mode right now.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Nick Saban

Update: I had a dream last night and we had a surprise new DC at the New Mexico game...

9037438-large.jpg

Note: My dreams are accurate 60% of the time, every time. They've done studies, you know.

Reactions: Bill Lowery

Kolton was out due to injury, he will be back this week.

Cleopatra's defense against Marc and Julius would have been better.......
Nah. I'm pretty sure Cleopatra lasted a couple hours before Caesar was able to break her defenses. Brent's defenses would have just immediately bowed and said "please sir can I have another?"

Nah. I'm pretty sure Cleopatra lasted a couple hours before Caesar was able to break her defenses. Brent's defenses would have just immediately bowed and said "please sir can I have another?"
Good luck Tulsa against the lobos ! Hope the defense won't lose their jock straps on the ground Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT