ADVERTISEMENT

Ncaa Announcement

Too much money involved and too many sports already starting back up.
If they can bring in the broadcast money without too much of a public image problem, or protests from the players/coaches, but can't get by with the crowds(fans) becuz of PI/regulations then they will. Money will dictate they play without fans if they have to.

If they can bring in the broadcast money without too much of a public image problem, or protests from the players/coaches, but can't get by with the crowds(fans) becuz of PI/regulations then they will. Money will dictate they play without fans if they have to.
German soccer is playing now. English soccer will be back in two weeks. American soccer will be back late June. College football is gonna play regardless of what a bunch of eggheads and hippies say. You’ll see crowds in the South, I’m convinced.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
They won’t allow crowds in the stands but at least they’ll have football.

They should require masks and allow 50% capacity. Close concession stands and allow people to bring their own food and drink.

It is an outdoor activity and if parties stay apart risk is mitigated esp. with masks.

I am very cautious on the pandemic but believe this plan will work.

They are playing without fans in Germany. 300 people does not count as fans. This allows for social distancing and probably requires masks in the stadium.

Southern football crowds like before the shutdown will likely bring it back with a vengeance. It will be like nothing we've ever seen before. Just one Alabama/Auburn game would lead to many deaths and likely cause a state to shut down, in a desperate but futile hope to contain it with any kind of speed. Hopefully we will severely limit it like Germany.

A whole weekend of Southern crowds would probably put it beyond control for many months. It would probably take 3+ months to even begin containment and would cost the general public dearly. Hopefully we won't do that. Two or three weeks of regular crowds for even half the NCAA, would likely cripple the US, and push it to levels out of hand for 6 months+ and would take that long to even begin to contain it. It ain't worth taking that risk of another long shutdown. I'll be fine watching on tv.

They should require masks and allow 50% capacity. Close concession stands and allow people to bring their own food and drink.

It is an outdoor activity and if parties stay apart risk is mitigated esp. with masks.

I am very cautious on the pandemic but believe this plan will work.
Maybe a trial of 33% capacity for four weeks, with one single game as a separate trial of 50% in a smaller stadium. And then address whether to take it to 50%, leave it at 33%, or even reduce it further, based on the test results. Once you break Pandora's box, it's hard as hell to put the lid back on. You know it's going to be damn near impossible to enforce social distancing and masks in a football stadium even at 25%.

ESPN is reporting that Ohio State is creating models for various crowd sizes between 20k and 50k.
This. Florida is actively but quietly suggesting to NFL and college teams to bring the games to their state and they proposals include a share of concessions indicating roughly the same crowd. You don’t have to be a history or economics major to see the dramatic economic shortfall a losing season or even three or four noon kickoffs has on the year long tax revenue collected in Starkville, Auburn, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Athens or even Columbia. Not just business but government will go under in those cities without crowds. The house party tradition is strong on away dates in these communities, something that doesn’t really happen in Oklahoma/Texas so you may be unfamiliar. When permitted, bars and beaches are packed right now. Theres too much pressure to play and too many examples now that they can play to suggest they can’t. If they do play, theres no amount of paranoid rambling by eggheads that is going to keep people apart either at the stadium or in homes. So there will be pressure for the crowds in the stands at limited levels. People will kill your grandma to get drunk and watch football in the South. That’s just facts.

it will be interesting to see how the NCAA versus states competition goes.

For instance, the NCAA says you can start practicing, but what if your state remains closed? Will be some programs that believe they are being placed at a disadvantage if they cannot practice.

Strange times.

Just an email that TU is opening campus.

Relevant pieces...

Academic Life
This fall, you will be taught by TU’s expert faculty and have access to our broad range of academic and support services. The majority of classes will be delivered using the “hyflex” model, providing an adaptable mix of in-person and online instruction. We are planning to provide a more traditional approach for those courses that require in-person instruction and are working on specific plans for our labs, hands-on research, simulations and performance courses. Finally, to accommodate those who need to, or choose to, study and work remotely, almost every course will have an online option. Our plans include:
  • Adjusting the academic calendar so that on-campus instruction ends Nov. 20, followed by virtual instruction and either in-person exams before Thanksgiving or remote finals after the break.
  • Scheduling courses over a longer day.
  • Maintaining an average classroom occupancy rate of approximately 30% with 6-foot physical distancing.
  • Scheduling class start times to minimize hallway traffic between sessions.
  • Repurposing some campus spaces as classrooms to offer more flexibility and options.
  • Requiring that every class has a back-up faculty member of record. A later start for spring semester may also be considered.
Student Life
You come to TU to study, of course, but also for the broader life lessons, experiences, friends and relationships that you enjoy as part of a TU education. We are committed to giving you the on-campus experience you deserve, but in a manner that will be safer and help us all stay on campus during the entire semester. To do so:
  • All resident students will be guaranteed private rooms.
  • Food service will be carry-out with mobile ordering options.
  • On-campus orientation will take place in small groups.
  • Campus activities will be held pursuant to physical distancing and other defined health protocols as necessary.

I just got the same email. Those are some big changes. It will be interesting to see how they follow through with those guidelines, especially keeping classes at 33% occupancy and guaranteeing private rooms.

As we approach election season, I personally desperately want sports, specifically football, to return in full capacity to help drown out the bs 24/7 fake news media machines. What a shame that we have allowed our leaders remove our freedoms under the guise of a pandemic (non pandemic by the numbers) virus!

Reactions: wilsoncc
You like how they are letting the faculty have a vacation from Thanksgiving until after New Years if they want it? Wouldn’t we all like that gig?

Strange times indeed. It’s college. Students are gonna exchange fluids with their preferred partner (or maybe two partners or more either together or consecutively) and then go sit six feet apart with masks on.

Last edited:
You like how they are letting the faculty have a vacation from Thanksgiving until after New Years if they want it? Wouldn’t we all like that gig?

Strange times indeed. It’s college. Students are gonna exchange fluids with their preferred partner (or maybe two partners or more either together or consecutively) and then go sit six feet apart with masks on.

Those of us with daughters there don’t want to hear that.

I just got the same email. Those are some big changes. It will be interesting to see how they follow through with those guidelines, especially keeping classes at 33% occupancy and guaranteeing private rooms.
Interested how this is going to affect the performing arts programs, and assuming that athletics are courses how are they going to practice social distancing....

Interested how this is going to affect the performing arts programs, and assuming that athletics are courses how are they going to practice social distancing....

My daughter is in marching band and wind ensemble so she’s curious about this too. As long as the music scholarship is still valid I’m ok with whatever they do.

Reactions: Hurricane Drummer
As we approach election season, I personally desperately want sports, specifically football, to return in full capacity to help drown out the bs 24/7 fake news media machines. What a shame that we have allowed our leaders remove our freedoms under the guise of a pandemic (non pandemic by the numbers) virus!
Killed more people than the Flu does in an entire year in just 2.5 months and that’s with millions staying away from each other. I’d say, yeah it’s a pandemic.

Reactions: Rapostman
https://www.conservativereview.com/...onavirus-fatality-rate-outside-nursing-homes/

Read the data. If you are over 75 it's bad, otherwise, not so much. Democrats are laughing their a$$e$ off behind closed doors that they got away with the biggest hoax in the history of the world. Open it all up. I would go to any major event I could right now with zero concern. 80,000 for a football game - heck yeah! 15,000 in an arena for a concert - can't wait! I will be in the front row.

https://www.conservativereview.com/...onavirus-fatality-rate-outside-nursing-homes/

Read the data. If you are over 75 it's bad, otherwise, not so much. Democrats are laughing their a$$e$ off behind closed doors that they got away with the biggest hoax in the history of the world. Open it all up. I would go to any major event I could right now with zero concern. 80,000 for a football game - heck yeah! 15,000 in an arena for a concert - can't wait! I will be in the front row.
You mean places where they couldn't keep old people separated sufferred more problems? Color me shocked.

I'll skip out on "conservativereview.com" thanks.
giphy.gif

Reactions: TU 1978
You mean places where they couldn't keep old people separated sufferred more problems? Color me shocked.

I'll skip out on "conservativereview.com" thanks.
giphy.gif

I'm convinced we approached the quarantine (and still are in some places....looking at you Minnesota) in a completely wrong manner. Needed to devote almost all of our resources into safeguarding the elderly as opposed to the general public at large. NY data

EYoi7xLU4AAxtb1

I'm convinced we approached the quarantine (and still are in some places....looking at you Minnesota) in a completely wrong manner. Needed to devote almost all of our resources into safeguarding the elderly as opposed to the general public at large. NY data

EYoi7xLU4AAxtb1
You (and others) keep ignoring the probability that the portions of the population that are showing lower infection mortality are certainly the portions of the population that tended to be quarantined / have limited personal contacts. How much effect did the quarantine shrinking the numbers of those outside of places like nursing homes?

You're essentially disregarding the fact that the quarantine measures might have had any effect on reducing the death rates of younger portions of the population.

Moreover, to paint this as a Democratic hoax is just frigging dumb. It disregards the same actions that we've seen taken in countries across the world. I'm sure the Democrats were the ones who convinced India to put quarantines into place suuuuure.

You (and others) keep ignoring the probability that the portions of the population that are showing lower infection mortality are certainly the portions of the population that tended to be quarantined / have limited personal contacts. How much effect did the quarantine shrinking the numbers of those outside of places like nursing homes?

You're essentially disregarding the fact that the quarantine measures might have had any effect on reducing the death rates of younger portions of the population.

Moreover, to paint this as a Democratic hoax is just frigging dumb. It disregards the same actions that we've seen taken in countries across the world. I'm sure the Democrats were the ones who convinced India to put quarantines into place suuuuure.

When did I ever call this a hoax or a Democratic hoax? My point is that not enough was done to protect those nursing homes. Hell....we still have Governors placing covid positive patients in them. We needed to create bubbles around these centers with extensive testing of those going in and out. Quarantine measures may have reduced the death numbers in the younger population but the death rate is the death rate. We have data from all over the world at this point to judge the same. When you add in the vast number of young people who are asymptomatic with this virus I stick by my contention that when a country has limited resources more needed to be diverted to those most at risk,

You have a higher chance of dying from a heart attack or cancer than you do from COVID-19!
Not to mention the average age at death from natural causes continues to be lower than the average age of those killed by CoVid. If you are over 75 or immune compromised, this disease is a problem. If you are obese or live in poverty, it might be a problem if you are over 50 and can’t afford health care. That’s it.

Reactions: 4tu2 and shon46
Americans have a higher chance of dying from a heart attack or cancer than they do from COVID-19!
You mean the two most common forms of death? Lol. I bet you're less likely to die from an auto accident than you are from cancer as well... so let's get rid of seat belts and air bags.

When did I ever call this a hoax or a Democratic hoax? My point is that not enough was done to protect those nursing homes. Hell....we still have Governors placing covid positive patients in them. We needed to create bubbles around these centers with extensive testing of those going in and out. Quarantine measures may have reduced the death numbers in the younger population but the death rate is the death rate. We have data from all over the world at this point to judge the same. When you add in the vast number of young people who are asymptomatic with this virus I stick by my contention that when a country has limited resources more needed to be diverted to those most at risk,
It was in response to the previous guy in the chain that you subsequently commented on my reply to.

BTW... if that chart rate that you posted would mean: 4,268 deaths of people below 60. 47.7K between 60 and 70. And pretty much complete decimation of the population over 70 in a city with NY's population.

Just over 2,600 died on 9/11 in the towers, and it changed the course of the nation for the next 20 years and launched two wars and a massive reduction in personal freedoms from our government. We're talking about orders of magnitudes more deaths. Elderly or not, that's significant. And that's just in one city. Now multiply it across every metro in the country that could get worse as people start to have the same opinions I've seen on this board today. (Probably won't happen until the fall though...)

It was in response to the previous guy in the chain that you subsequently commented on my reply to.

BTW... if that chart rate that you posted would mean: 4,268 deaths of people below 60. 47.7K between 60 and 70. And pretty much complete decimation of the population over 70 in a city with NY's population.

Just over 2,600 died on 9/11 in the towers, and it changed the course of the nation for the next 20 years and launched two wars and a massive reduction in personal freedoms from our government. We're talking about orders of magnitudes more deaths. Elderly or not, that's significant. And that's just in one city. Now multiply it across every metro in the country that could get worse as people start to have the same opinions I've seen on this board today. (Probably won't happen until the fall though...)

Wasn't that my point? We neglected to safeguard the one segment of the population truly at significant risk from this virus and chose an overly broad approach instead. In many places nursing home deaths account for over half of the fatality numbers. There was zero rationale for not shifting resources to protect those at greatest risk.

In NYC there have been 639 death of people under 45. There have been 135 deaths of people under 45 who did not have an underlying condition. There have been 3,575 deaths between 45-64 years of age. Over 3000 of those had underlying conditions. In Oklahoma there have been 10 deaths this year from covid in those under 50. You're over 15X more likely to die in an automobile crash than covid in Oklahoma if your under 50. Again....we protected the wrong people.

Last edited:
Wasn't that my point? We neglected to safeguard the one segment of the population truly at significant risk from this virus and chose an overly broad approach instead. In many places nursing home deaths account for over half of the fatality numbers. There was zero rationale for not shifting resources to protect those at greatest risk.

In NYC there have been 639 death of people under 45. There have been 135 deaths of people under 45 who did not have an underlying condition. There have been 3,575 deaths between 45-64 years of age. Over 3000 of those had underlying conditions. In Oklahoma there have been 10 deaths this year from covid in those under 50. You're over 15X more likely to die in an automobile crash than covid in Oklahoma if your under 50. Again....we protected the wrong people.
Ron DeSantis approved this message.

You couldn’t have said it better. We let our corrupt leaders at the time take away our freedom and drag us into a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people based on a false narrative that forever changed the course of our country and individual lives forever. As a veteran, 15 yr gov employee, and proud American I refuse to just accept their narrative and sit back and watch them turn our country into the very places we liberate. The same corrupt politicians are playing the same game through a different narrative and if you lay down and take it, you will wake up one day and realize you now live in a prison. Don’t be a sheep! COVID is bad but for 99.9% of people including myself, it’s not life ending.

You couldn’t have said it better. We let our corrupt leaders at the time take away our freedom and drag us into a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people based on a false narrative that forever changed the course of our country and individual lives forever. As a veteran, 15 yr gov employee, and proud American I refuse to just accept their narrative and sit back and watch them turn our country into the very places we liberate. The same corrupt politicians are playing the same game through a different narrative and if you lay down and take it, you will wake up one day and realize you now live in a prison. Don’t be a sheep! COVID is bad but for 99.9% of people including myself, it’s not life ending.
Asking people to wear a mask and canceling a fan attendance during a single sports season isn’t the equivalent of warrantless wiretapping or waterboarding.

Asking people to wear a mask and canceling a fan attendance during a single sports season isn’t the equivalent of warrantless wiretapping or waterboarding.
I’m not playing their game. They invested hundreds of millions of dollars into Ray Dalio’s hedge fund in November as he put against the economy for March. They profited over $100 mil just in March alone. One member of Congress was so bold and careless with his corrupt financial transactions that the FBI was forced to publicly investigate. It’s clear that you and I don’t live in the same reality. Nothing wrong with that but talking about this subject with you is the equivalent of a casual sports fan talking tactics with a 10 year profession athlete. Wearing a mask that prevents the spread of absolutely nothing is sheepish behavior.

Reactions: maverickfp
It’s clear that you and I don’t live in the same reality. Nothing wrong with that but talking about this subject with you is the equivalent of a casual sports fan talking tactics with a 10 year profession athlete. Wearing a mask that prevents the spread of absolutely nothing is sheepish behavior.
Rude and not accurate. Should have just left it b4 the strikethru.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT