ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA sees the writing on the wall

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
The Big4 conferences are having serious discussion about breaking away from the NCAA and forming their own Association. This the NCAA’s hale Mary to remain relevant.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
No chance schools will get into the NIL game imo as it opens up Title 9 requirements. I predicted a new division of college athletics on this board over 5 years ago. Even more confident today we are heading in that direction. NCAA just trying to stay relevant here. They know what’s coming.

Reactions: TulsaAM
No chance schools will get into the NIL game imo as it opens up Title 9 requirements. I predicted a new division of college athletics on this board over 5 years ago. Even more confident today we are heading in that direction. NCAA just trying to stay relevant here. They know what’s coming.
And I'm seeing a 12-figure lawsuit coming aimed at those "top resource" schools and the networks feeding them.

Reactions: rusty-c
I wonder if these universities expect to maintain their non-profit status as hosts of a professional minor league. Seems to me that this valuable status to the university as a whole would be more valuable than the revenue that the athletic department generates and certainly will not be willing to share with the university proper. The NCAA has certainly made a mess of the most important things they are chartered to do which is to run, regulate, and police collegiate athletics. The whole ensuring the well being of the collegiate athlete thing was forgotten long ago....

The NCAA has certainly made a mess of the most important things they are chartered to do which is to run, regulate, and police collegiate athletics. The whole ensuring the well being of the collegiate athlete thing was forgotten long ago....
Is it the NCAA's issue or is it the schools and conferences who chartered the NCAA to govern and maintain consistent standards for all members, but they didn't really want to be held accountable when the money involved became more important than a level playing field? The NCAA keeps changing how it enforces things because the big boys want them to change and bend to what they want the NCAA to enforce and what they want them to look the other way on. The NCAA isn't supposed to enforce illegal contacts and tampering with players or payments outside the NIL framework, or even prolonged academic fraud for North Carolina, but hey, some kid at ORU took a basketweaving course they didn't feel was a real college course so let's ding them.

And RustyC, the non-profit status is a huge deal for the universities because not only don't they have to pay taxes on property, revenues, assets, etc., it also makes the universities eligible to receive Federal education funding which helps fund the majority of the students coming to that school who don't play sports, eligible for Federal loan programs and work study funding, among others. Remove the non-profit status and ALL of the federal funding and the universities would cease to exist. I don't know of any state who could fund their universities fully without federal funding involved. It would raise tuition and fees to ridiculous levels and make higher education available only to the uber rich or those willing to take out a $400,000 mortgage without knowing what your future job and earnings will be.

What's the option then? That the football programs will no longer be entities of the schools, but private businesses who turn around and donate large amounts of $ to the universities they purport to represent solely for the purpose of funding the remaining athletic programs.

I agree with you that the universities and conferences are at fault. I simply over-simplified... LOL

Regarding the non-profit status, what you have stated is exact answer to what I was questioning. In the end I'm sure that what you stated in the last portion of your post is the smoke screen that they will try to throw up tin order to have their cake and eat it too. Hope it tastes great with the lawsuits they will be entangled in. I estimate there's going to be some incredible wealth generated for law firms in the near future.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I think most people saw this, they just didn't post about it then. Or at least when the NIL/Portal thing came along, to complicate matters a year or two later.

What's the option then? That the football programs will no longer be entities of the schools, but private businesses who turn around and donate large amounts of $ to the universities they purport to represent solely for the purpose of funding the remaining athletic programs.
This is the current status... the athletic departments license the branding rights and NFP status from the university in exchange for a paltry contribution to the general fund.

The Big4 conferences are having serious discussion about breaking away from the NCAA and forming their own Association. This the NCAA’s hale Mary to remain relevant.

That's going to be some boring a$$ football. There will be maybe 8 - 10 teams with a real chance to win and a bunch of glorified (or not so glorified) Washington Generals. There's a reason all the pro leagues have competitive balance rules. No draft, no salary cap, university networks to get around revenue sharing... The gap between the haves and have nots will get even better until they agree to competitive balance and then what's the difference between those teams and the NFL, other than age? What's it going to be like to be a fan of Illinois or Syracuse in a few years? Now you can at least say "we're better than NIU" or "we're better than Buffalo" but when you're not even in the same division with them, you can't even say that.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT