ADVERTISEMENT

Ncaa Announcement

Back to football...

If they play in "empty stadiums", how much money will it take for a fan to be in the stadium as a part of the "not a crowd" crowd?

I mean, are we going to be forced to endure the social media diarrhea of the celebrity set as they get to enjoy their new privilege?

Trying to understand the “democratic hoax.”
We did what the most of the world did, just too late.
It saddens me that people are so blinded by politics and party that they can’t see the forest through the trees.
It “not being a big deal for most people” is what many folks said would be the reaction if we reacted well.
We reacted late but, pretty well, and still have 97K dead in 4 months. Odd that anyone would consider that a hoax.

We should easily double, if not triple, annual flu deaths (using the high end number of this season of 62K) by the end of year pretty easily.

Trying to understand the “democratic hoax.”
It saddens me that people are so blinded by politics and party that they can’t see the forest through the trees.
It “not being a big deal for most people” is what many folks said would be the reaction if we reacted well.
We reacted late but, pretty well, and still have 97K dead in 4 months. Odd that anyone would consider that a hoax.

We should easily double, if not triple, annual flu deaths (using the high end number of this season of 62K) by the end of year pretty easily.
To be fair. No one here actually stated it was a “democratic hoax” but multiple people alluded to that idea.

I think I’m also a bit upset that I was standing outside of a sandwich shop a couple days ago (Waiting to go in due to social distancing requests of the company) and a schmuck standing out there with me started talking about how “this whole situation is ridiculous and that if the health inspector was a commie he’d probably shut the place down if it had too many people inside but if he was a Republican then he wouldn’t care”

I almost smacked him in his face. I’m really surprised when I hear people just spouting that nonsense in public to complete strangers who clearly didn’t ask for their opinion.

To be fair. No one here actually stated it was a “democratic hoax” but multiple people alluded to that idea.

I think I’m also a bit upset that I was standing outside of a sandwich shop a couple days ago (Waiting to go in due to social distancing requests of the company) and a schmuck standing out there with me started talking about how “this whole situation is ridiculous and that if the health inspector was a commie he’d probably shut the place down if it had too many people inside but if he was a Republican then he wouldn’t care”

I almost smacked him in his face. I’m really surprised when I hear people just spouting that nonsense in public to complete strangers who clearly didn’t ask for their opinion.
Those types have no filter.

I’m not saying whether I’m red or blue. But I don’t know if faced with the same situation, many officials we have throughout the years would have done anything differently.

It was an extremely crappy situation and I don’t think any others would have reacted faster. Most Democrats were laughing at this thing when Trump shut it down.

I think we need to get together and acknowledge it was very bad, and that it could have been much worse, and get off our rears and try to right the ship...and attempt to stay safe while doing it. I don’t want blue or red to get this thing.

try to get to work and try to stay safe while doing it. And pray for a vaccine and some relief.

let’s go folks!

"just too late". What do you expect from a massive bureaucracy. Would an Obama or Biden Admin. have done any better? Who knows. I thought our reaction to the pandemic was caused by some think tank at Washington U. which used their algorythms to predict 1.5 million deaths or some 6% of those actual. Then they sold it to Faucci, Birx,et al who sold it to Trump & Co.

So, we shut down the best economy ever in our history which may take decades to recover. And our senior citizens in nursing homes & assisted living then bear the brunt of deaths due to idiots like de Blasio & Cuomo in New York who inexplicably ordered seniors with the virus back to these places which caused infections & death to many others.

Of course. it's not over yet but now we know what it takes to limit infections and save lives if this thing reoccurs down the line. Not to mention drugs for treatment including several promising candidates for a vaccine.

I guess my point is that it's time to open up what's left of this economy. Keep pounding away on masks & 6' but let American spirit and hard work rule the day. And any Gov of any state that refuses to do so be at the mercy of voters. And to not expect much $ help from the feds.

It’s been an pandemic for the elderly and compromised. Unfortunately, we failed to concentrate our resources to protect the most at risk and instead chose a one size fits all solution. Which is a typical bureaucratic response. Ten people under 50 have died this year in Oklahoma of covid-19. 190 have died in auto accidents. You do the math. The media is too busy fear mongering to accurately report the risks. Information which may have forced our elected officials to focus resources on strict quarantines of nursing homes and as well as the elderly at large.

"just too late". What do you expect from a massive bureaucracy. Would an Obama or Biden Admin. have done any better? Who knows. I thought our reaction to the pandemic was caused by some think tank at Washington U. which used their algorythms to predict 1.5 million deaths or some 6% of those actual. Then they sold it to Faucci, Birx,et al who sold it to Trump & Co.

So, we shut down the best economy ever in our history which may take decades to recover. And our senior citizens in nursing homes & assisted living then bear the brunt of deaths due to idiots like de Blasio & Cuomo in New York who inexplicably ordered seniors with the virus back to these places which caused infections & death to many others.

Of course. it's not over yet but now we know what it takes to limit infections and save lives if this thing reoccurs down the line. Not to mention drugs for treatment including several promising candidates for a vaccine.

I guess my point is that it's time to open up what's left of this economy. Keep pounding away on masks & 6' but let American spirit and hard work rule the day. And any Gov of any state that refuses to do so be at the mercy of voters. And to not expect much $ help from the feds.
Good to know that a small private school in Saint Louis not only influenced the USA to shut down, but also pretty much every other major nation in the world... gosh that’s some widespread influence! /s

That would be a large public Univ. in Wash state. Isn't Seattle the home of U. of WA?

Seattle = UW or University of Washington. (Much like UT is Texas)
St. Louis = Washington University or Wash-U

That being said. Point still stands, it wasn't a single cataclysmic university model that caused countries around the globe (including ours) to shut down.

Seattle = UW or University of Washington. (Much like UT is Texas)
St. Louis = Washington University or Wash-U

That being said. Point still stands, it wasn't a single cataclysmic university model that caused countries around the globe (including ours) to shut down.
You are right! It was fear world leaders had based on the Chinese obfuscation of statistical data, expulsion of non Chinese medical professionals from China (to include the Chinese controlled WHO), and the Chinese intentionally seeding the virus throughout the world via petitioning the UN to declare human rights violations against all countries that were barring Chinese citizens from traveling outside of China.

We weren’t too late. We were intentionally misled by China and then played through a well organized and sophisticated information warfare campaign designed to confuse the masses fueled under the auspice of racism to demonize the president for suspension of travel from China. Once we mobilized nationally (still based on Computer models simulations and not facts), we realized the federal cupboards containing medical protection supplies were dangerously low and inadequate. That falls squarely on the senior leadership in FEMA. Despite FEMA’s lack of preparation, states like Oklahoma, Florida, South Dakota, and Georgia were prepared at the state level and performed beautifully.

Over 100 + countries have pledged to investigate Chinas actions with many saying they will petition the world courts in pursuit of recouping financial losses. This virus is absolutely horrible but it still has only killed less than 1 percent of the total US population. Think about that! Less than one percent. Yet we continue to operate in some cases under a shutdown, cowering in fear, paranoid that everyone could have it and infect us, and been forced to be prisoners in our houses.

We have changed our whole way of life And given away our freedom for something that only effects less than one percent of our total population. In comparison to a real pandemic like the 1918 Spanish influenza that killed between 17-50 million people world wide, this is small and should be treated accordingly!

Reactions: noble cane
You are right! It was fear world leaders had based on the Chinese obfuscation of statistical data, expulsion of non Chinese medical professionals from China (to include the Chinese controlled WHO), and the Chinese intentionally seeding the virus throughout the world via petitioning the UN to declare human rights violations against all countries that were barring Chinese citizens from traveling outside of China.

We weren’t too late. We were intentionally misled by China and then played through a well organized and sophisticated information warfare campaign designed to confuse the masses fueled under the auspice of racism to demonize the president for suspension of travel from China. Once we mobilized nationally (still based on Computer models simulations and not facts), we realized the federal cupboards containing medical protection supplies were dangerously low and inadequate. That falls squarely on the senior leadership in FEMA. Despite FEMA’s lack of preparation, states like Oklahoma, Florida, South Dakota, and Georgia were prepared at the state level and performed beautifully.

Over 100 + countries have pledged to investigate Chinas actions with many saying they will petition the world courts in pursuit of recouping financial losses. This virus is absolutely horrible but it still has only killed less than 1 percent of the total US population. Think about that! Less than one percent. Yet we continue to operate in some cases under a shutdown, cowering in fear, paranoid that everyone could have it and infect us, and been forced to be prisoners in our houses.

We have changed our whole way of life And given away our freedom for something that only effects less than one percent of our total population. In comparison to a real pandemic like the 1918 Spanish influenza that killed between 17-50 million people world wide, this is small and should be treated accordingly!
Crossfire board.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU Sepp
If we play this season... what kind of mask will Monty wear?

A "Bane" mask would be pretty cool as he picks up Graggs suits.

Reactions: maverickfp
I’ve never seen Rippen on the Football board. I don’t think he likes sports too much.
For the longest time he never posted in anything but the Hurricane Alley. He found himself better than the unpaid brethren of this board. Then he got a little political, so I(and others) repeatedly told him he needed to take it to the crossfire board. Regrettably he eventually took us up on it. I could tell him to take it to the football/basketball board, but I really really doubt you want him here.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Pandemic-no sports! (BTW-let us not forget what day we are posting on:remembering beloved family members & military departed, some of which are both).
The topic started out talking about sports. The conversation devolved into something unrelated to sports.

Remembering beloved family members who departed is what this weekend was for, but that has nothing to do with sports. Don't quite understand why you brought that up.

I just got the same email. Those are some big changes. It will be interesting to see how they follow through with those guidelines, especially keeping classes at 33% occupancy and guaranteeing private rooms.

A quick update on this topic. The University is moving forward with their plan to offer private rooms to all on-campus students.

Sorority row will close and all rooms in the houses will be reserved for students requiring self quarantine.

Sorority girls will be placed in individual rooms in John Mabee Hall. There’s no word on where the boys displaced by this plan will be moved to.

A sorority girl in every room in John Mabee? 100 years of nerd prayers finally answered!!!

Armageddon is surely near ....

Doesn’t the university have a lot of apartment spaces to fill? Why would you put the women in John Mabee?

Incidentally, over 10 years ago I attended the Presbyterian Synod Youth workshop with our youth group from Texas. They housed the boys in Lottie Jane and the girls in John Mabee. It was probably the most times I ever slept in Lottie Jane hall - ever. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Housing at all Sororities and the Sigma Nu Fraternity is administered by the University. The other Fraternities control their own housing and will have to devise their own plans.
I'm aware of that... but it seems a little bit short-sighted to tell all of the girls to social distance and have individual rooms etc... and then let the guys do whatever when they both have to share classrooms.

I'm curious what happens with the Fraternities.
So, lesson on how housing at TU works. The sorority houses, specifically the parts with the rooms and beds (the backs of the houses) are owned and operated by campus housing at TU. The sororities are obligated to fill every bed. Their charters with their letter groups may require that they maintain a certain number in the house as well. The sorority houses lend themselves well to quarantine and isolation. They are suite style and each 2-3 room suite has it's own separate bathroom. This is not the case in the traditional residence halls. Fraternities at TU are owned by the fraternities themselves. They lease the land on an annual basis. Rumor was the lease was $1/yr. They are not considered on campus housing and are not figured into the universities residential census figures. Any actions for COVID will have to be formulated by the fraternities themselves. I am sure TU will have some say in what these precautions are. I will guess the fraternities will also be ponying up some add'l $ to have the houses cleaned and sanitized on a more regular basis.

For TU 1978...I lived in every residence hall on campus with the exception of Twin South either as a resident, an RA, or as a hall director. And I have been TU's housing coordinator for summer camps several times and remember working the the Synod of the Sun folks. Good group...although the kids had a propensity to lose keys and meal cards during the week. Hardest camps to work with were easily the UCA Cheer camps between the prima donna camp staff and the prima donna cheer moms. Did you know it just wasn't possible to have Union and Jenks cheerleaders housed anywhere withing 50 feet of each other? Football camps were interesting. As much as I like Mack Butler, his ability to solve logistics issues was almost comically bad. To the point he threw me a list of schools with their numbers (players and coaches) and how many bed spaces we told him he had and he asked me to assign the space because he couldn't figure it out. Ross Parmley was easily the most organized Dir. of Football Ops I ever got to work with.

I quit working the desk at Twin Towers during cheer camp and went back to baling hay and mending fence line. Easily the worst job I’ve ever had.

So, lesson on how housing at TU works. The sorority houses, specifically the parts with the rooms and beds (the backs of the houses) are owned and operated by campus housing at TU. The sororities are obligated to fill every bed. Their charters with their letter groups may require that they maintain a certain number in the house as well. The sorority houses lend themselves well to quarantine and isolation. They are suite style and each 2-3 room suite has it's own separate bathroom. This is not the case in the traditional residence halls. Fraternities at TU are owned by the fraternities themselves. They lease the land on an annual basis. Rumor was the lease was $1/yr. They are not considered on campus housing and are not figured into the universities residential census figures. Any actions for COVID will have to be formulated by the fraternities themselves. I am sure TU will have some say in what these precautions are. I will guess the fraternities will also be ponying up some add'l $ to have the houses cleaned and sanitized on a more regular basis.

Not to mention the trouble with having to keep kids from partying.

For TU 1978...I lived in every residence hall on campus with the exception of Twin South either as a resident, an RA, or as a hall director. And I have been TU's housing coordinator for summer camps several times and remember working the the Synod of the Sun folks. Good group...although the kids had a propensity to lose keys and meal cards during the week. Hardest camps to work with were easily the UCA Cheer camps between the prima donna camp staff and the prima donna cheer moms. Did you know it just wasn't possible to have Union and Jenks cheerleaders housed anywhere withing 50 feet of each other? Football camps were interesting. As much as I like Mack Butler, his ability to solve logistics issues was almost comically bad. To the point he threw me a list of schools with their numbers (players and coaches) and how many bed spaces we told him he had and he asked me to assign the space because he couldn't figure it out. Ross Parmley was easily the most organized Dir. of Football Ops I ever got to work with.
I knew well about the different ownership of the Fraternities since I was in one. I was just curious as to what the uni was going to make them comply to. Like, TU didn't own the houses, but they could put the fraternities on social / academic probation for certain violations and eventually expel the chapter if they chose to. I'm sure they could do the same in this instance. I just don't see how social distancing is really possible in those houses unless you start putting beds and dividers in chapter rooms lol.

The Tulsa band just announced that there will be no on field performances this year. This applies to spirit squads as well.

i'm trying to figure out why that would be???? from a safety standpoint???

I knew well about the different ownership of the Fraternities since I was in one. I was just curious as to what the uni was going to make them comply to. Like, TU didn't own the houses, but they could put the fraternities on social / academic probation for certain violations and eventually expel the chapter if they chose to. I'm sure they could do the same in this instance. I just don't see how social distancing is really possible in those houses unless you start putting beds and dividers in chapter rooms lol.
You may see national chapters put limits of 1 person to a room. I know most of the fraternities were more afraid of what their charter orgs might do if they stepped out of line than they were of Yolanda. If you're following the numbers closely enough, I'm not sure how universities can really accomplish housing students in traditional dormitories this coming year. Most of the info we're getting seems to be that the most likely areas of spread are in group gatherings/settings, some smaller, like house parties, churches, weddings, and funerals. There aren't any documented cases locally of kids getting it in school because OK DoE actually did the right thing shutting things down when they did. With the current rate of infection as it stands, I don't see kids in this area returning to school on time. I don't know how universities will do it...classrooms seem like the perfect setting to make this worse...and there's always going to be the one putz who refuses to wear a mask because it infringes upon their personal freedoms. TU won't have a problem with this because they're a private institution and can set the rules. OU, OSU, TCC, public institutions are going to have an extremely difficult time enforcing any campus rules about masks. They do have some latitude but I believe the first time someone is invited to leave a class or campus it will be challenged in court.

The Tulsa band just announced that there will be no on field performances this year. This applies to spirit squads as well.
Um, I don't get it. Actually being on the field allows them to spread out more. Are they only going to allow the band in pep mode for games.. At least they can spread them out into a couple of different sections and space them out...it'll make things look fuller.

I'll be honest, at the current rate of infection we are seeing everywhere except the Northeast, combined with completely incompetent leadership at all levels of government right now AND combined with the selfish stubborness 35% of the population seems to be controlled by, I don't see how it will be possible for games to return this Fall. Clemson, TX, Houston and other schools have already had pretty high occurrences of COVID infection in their programs (like 20% of the players). With what we're seeing in tennis and golf and the number of infections going up in sports where the player is freaking alone 99% of the time, how in the world can team sports like basketball, football and hockey even consider restarting. People will point to Euro soccer...but in Europe, they don't have the same incidence of d!ck citizens who refuse to wear masks because "Personal freedom".

Yesterday, 4 golfers WD from the tournament in CT. 2 caddies tested positive, another one had a family member who tested positive, and the other WD for precautionary reasons. The #1 tennis player in the world tested positive recently. The avg. age for individuals testing positive is younger and younger and due to their inability to just isolate themselves for a bit. This is going to include the majority of professional team sport athletes. Instead of going to bars and shooting themselves in the leg with a gun tucked in their waistband, they'll go without a mask and get exposed to COVID. Everywhere in the world the rate of infection and hospitalizations are going down...except the US.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT