ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Tournament

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
The first 4 started today. I just realized that Colorado and Colorado State are in Dayton. If you were from Colorado a trip to Dayton to watch both state schools play

Reactions: Weatherdemon
It looks like Virginia still focuses 90% of their game on defense.

If they weren’t a “name” program from the ACC, everyone would be saying they didn’t deserve a bid to the tournament.

Howard had a bad start with too many turnovers and couldn’t get their 3 game till late but still almost pulled it off.

Watch Virginia come back next year and win it all

Did you see that block earlier? BYU dude thought he had an uncontested layup and the Duke came out of nowhere and wiped it away.

So watching this game, Insee the makeup of the players on BYUs side and it takes me back to the song in Book of Mormon called "I Believe" and the line "And I believe that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people!!" and wonder how much of that had to do with BYU and getting football and basketball players.

(Just looked it up, the first black athlete was recruited to BYU in 1970 by....TU's own Tommy Hudspeth)

I also found that the majority of black students at BYU between 1977-1985 were student athletes as well. Point is, I found it odd that a school based on religious teachings, teachings that included that a certain race of people were inferior in the eyes of God, has as many black athletes as they do, even with the change in doctrine.

Oakland shot 48.4% from 3 but only 41.3% overall. That's insane. They shot in the 30s from 2...

Reactions: loca2874
Important note. The underdogs are doing well with a special type of defense against the big NIL teams….. a ZONE ………..

Reactions: Weatherdemon
So watching this game, Insee the makeup of the players on BYUs side and it takes me back to the song in Book of Mormon called "I Believe" and the line "And I believe that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people!!" and wonder how much of that had to do with BYU and getting football and basketball players.

(Just looked it up, the first black athlete was recruited to BYU in 1970 by....TU's own Tommy Hudspeth)

I also found that the majority of black students at BYU between 1977-1985 were student athletes as well. Point is, I found it odd that a school based on religious teachings, teachings that included that a certain race of people were inferior in the eyes of God, has as many black athletes as they do, even with the change in doctrine.
I saw Tommy's wife and his son Phil at the women's game tonight.

And NC State is going to knock Texas Tech out. 6 straight wins, and the first 5 basically were required wins as they would not have made the NCAA tournament without them.

Samford is trying to hang in vs Kansas. Interesting that the 2 upsets many of the talking heads picked (McNeese over Gonzaga and Samford over Kansas) aren't anywhere really close to happening.

I was shocked when they said he had made two 2 point field goals all year, everything else was from 3.
He's a 6th year player. He was playing at a D2 school the previous 5 years (1 RS). But that's some crazy shooting. Wish we had a guy who could do that.

And NC State is going to knock Texas Tech out. 6 straight wins, and the first 5 basically were required wins as they would not have made the NCAA tournament without them.

Samford is trying to hang in vs Kansas. Interesting that the 2 upsets many of the talking heads picked (McNeese over Gonzaga and Samford over Kansas) aren't anywhere really close to happening.
Maybe I spoke too soon about KU. Damn, Samford within 2

Tommy's granddaughter is the TU Pom coach (as well as the Union HS pom coach). Proud TU family.
Phil's wife Jeanette is an old family friend. Our late fathers used to work together and I have known her pretty much all my life.

Maybe I spoke too soon about KU. Damn, Samford within 2
If not for a terrible foul call on Samford, KU may have lost. Samford should have had the ball, down by one with 14 seconds left. It could’ve been a great ending.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If not for a terrible foul call on Samford, KU may have lost. Samford should have had the ball, down by one with 14 seconds left. It could’ve been a great ending.
That call would have been challenged and won in the NBA. Maybe we need to give college coaches a challenge on calls. And it happens a lot in the college game, refs anticipate calls. And I would bet 99% of the time, that call gets made. It looked worse due to the KU player falling awkwardly because he was out of control.

You can't get any cleaner of a block than that. Why didn't they review that? Robbery!
They can't review fouls outside of determining whether or not they rise to the level of a flagrant 1 or 2 foul from a common foul. In the NBA coaches can challenge a call like that.

I also found that the majority of black students at BYU between 1977-1985 were student athletes as well.
The majority of black students at the University of Tulsa today are current or former student-athletes, though that margin is growing smaller each year.

The majority of black students at the University of Tulsa today are current or former student-athletes, though that margin is growing smaller each year.
But the University of Tulsa and Presbyterian Church USA didn't have an official doctrine concerning black people and not being worthy in the eye's of God.

I'm surprised that minority athletes would even consider BYU even today knowing this was an official stance the LDS church held for a really long time. And really I just wanted to point out the song which is hilarious but also causes you to say "WTF?" because it causes you to wonder how so many people believe some of the crazy involved with LDS (you know the interplanetary paradises that God and Jesus hold).

If you've never heard the song, it's on YouTube.

Reactions: TU 1978
I can’t speak for why Black student athletes choose BYU, I’m sure the reasons vary. But I do know many of them are Mormons themselves or have Mormon family members. For others it’s often their best offer and they don’t care. Which goes for players like Jim McMahon as well.

You might ask one of the dozens of Tulsa Mormon football players, some legendary, if they can explain it. One used to lurk on the board. I’m not sure they would find the song funny or your post appropriate.

But if you want to talk history, the Presbyterian church was largely segregated first formally, then socially, in Oklahoma well into the 1960s and wasn’t officially integrated until the large, mainly Southern, segregationist factions left the church in 1973 — not long before the 1978 revelation of the Mormon prophet. The Presbyterians reunified in the 1980’s but didn’t formally repent of their long history of supporting slavery, segregation, and doctrines that deflected focus on how parish members treated others until 2016.

The Southern Baptist Convention didn’t formally renounce its racist past until 1995 and remains largely socially segregated to this day. Churches break away from the SBC on the daily over the debate regarding CRT and DEI.

So I guess we could ask you why you accepted employment at an institution associated with the SBC.

Because it’s probably the same answer many of the Black athletes would give about BYU. Most churches reflected the social norms of their time and were therefore racist. It informs decisions today, but you make choices based on opportunities and sense of belonging, not theology from 50 years ago.

But this is a sports board, not a place to judge people’s religious choices.

So I won’t. And neither should you or anyone else imo.

Last edited:
Let's discuss the safe return of Shelly Miscavige, please!

Do they have a football team at their school?

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
I can’t speak for why Black student athletes choose BYU, I’m sure the reasons vary. But I do know many of them are Mormons themselves or have Mormon family members. For others it’s often their best offer and they don’t care. Which goes for players like Jim McMahon as well.

You might ask one of the dozens of Tulsa Mormon football players, some legendary, if they can explain it. One used to lurk on the board. I’m not sure they would find the song funny or your post appropriate.

But if you want to talk history, the Presbyterian church was largely segregated first formally, then socially, in Oklahoma well into the 1960s and wasn’t officially integrated until the large, mainly Southern, segregationist factions left the church in 1973 — not long before the 1978 revelation of the Mormon prophet. The Presbyterians reunified in the 1980’s but didn’t formally repent of their long history of supporting slavery, segregation, and doctrines that deflected focus on how parish members treated others until 2016.

The Southern Baptist Convention didn’t formally renounce its racist past until 1995 and remains largely socially segregated to this day. Churches break away from the SBC on the daily over the debate regarding CRT and DEI.

So I guess we could ask you why you accepted employment at an institution associated with the SBC.

Because it’s probably the same answer many of the Black athletes would give about BYU. Most churches reflected the social norms of their time and were therefore racist. It informs decisions today, but you make choices based on opportunities and sense of belonging, not theology from 50 years ago.

But this is a sports board, not a place to judge people’s religious choices.

So I won’t. And neither should you or anyone else imo.
[/QUOTE

I am 100% positive many in the LDS find the show and song incredibly inappropriate. Like the Scientologists took offense with the Scientology episode of South Park, I'm sure many in the LDS church take offense with Book of Mormon. Out of context and not understanding Trey Parker and Matt Stone and the fact that they've lampooned anyone and everyone including all the major religions, it's what they do. I could see offense taken if they only lampooned this group or that religion, but they are equal opportunity when it comes to poking fun. And in that they provide some historical context as well as some facts about whomever in a hysterical way.

And yes, I am fully aware that a majority of the Christian denominations have a not so pristine past when it comes to race. As for me, I am assuming you're referring to my year at Baylor. That was a foot in the door of Higher Ed and student life. It's not a terrible place and the student life staff was great to work with. Baylor is another place with a very diverse student population, some of whom do not fit in to even the Christian mold let alone the Baptist denomination specifically (which I always thought was a little odd. Where ORU did not embrace students who were not professed Christians, Baylor did although I am sure there were times on campus that they felt they didn't belong or questioned why they made the choice to attend a school like that).

You lost us at “[Baylor] is not a terrible place.”
Outside of the athletic dept. it really wasn't a bad place. However, their insane desire to be relevant amongst the ginormous public schools it is in the Big XII with led to some absolutely disastrous decisions that have painted a permanent black mark on the school as a whole. And you think the Briles stuff was bad, just go back a few years further and remember that basketball players were murdering other players while Dave Bliss was coach.

I did get chastised once for asking why Housing and Residential Life was looking at retention numbers at OU, Texas, and A&M and not places like Rice, SMU, TCU, TU. I was firmly told that they only compared numbers to other Big XII schools and I sort of hit back with that the student body at Baylor had very few similarities to other Big XII institutions outside of regionality. Even doing cost comparisons to those other schools was pretty futile because they're not alone at all.

Anyway, I worked with a lot of good people at Baylor and I had almost no contact with anyone from the athletic dept or even any athletes as they all were sort of isolated from the general student body. My first contact with the athletic dept was probably the meet and greet they arranged for student life when Bliss was hired and he was trying to generate interest in students going to games b/c in those days attendance at games outside of baseball was woeful.

Reactions: libertychamp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT