ADVERTISEMENT

Monty

I realize it just happened. But nobody is even mentioning him as a candidate that I've seen.

I cannot imagine anyone hiring him outside the Texas high school ranks. Nobody came knocking seriously for BB either after his best finish in school history (arguably).

I cannot imagine anyone hiring him outside the Texas high school ranks. Nobody came knocking seriously for BB either after his best finish in school history (arguably).
I am going with Henry Frnka, final answer, lock that in. Okay he did have good player named Dobbs.

Last edited:
I am going with Henry Frnka, final answer, lock that in. Okay he did have good player named Dobbs.
That’s one of the reasons I said arguably. The 1942 team was against depleted competition during the war and was before the “modern era” of 1946 to Present. But being ranked #4 is being ranked #4. I hear ya.

Yep, Frnka went on to the SEC, Tulane and had the best years they ever had. First in 1949 SEC. Dobbs was drafted by the NFL, I believe number three but turned it down to go in the war and was turned down!!! Dobbs the coach while I was there (certainly not as a football player--if I look at a football I sprain my ankle) and TU beat preseason No. 1 Ole Miss in the Bluebonnet Bowl. Another choice for best season.

Last edited:
Going to take more than 1 good season IMO , needs to have 2 good ones with Tulsa being ranked, plus who knows how he finishes this season

His overall record is 9 games below .500 That's a $hitty track record for sure. And he's had full reign of the ship, recruiting and the OFFENSE his entire tenure. He is entirely accountable for his record, and he never prepares his teams to be dialed in at the start of each game... My chief complaint!! The guys come out lackadaisical and unconcerned.

Reactions: lynesrun
Yep, Frnka went on to the SEC, Tulane and had the best years they ever had. First in 1949 SEC. Dobbs was drafted by the NFL, I believe number three but turned it down to go in the war and was turned down!!! Dobbs the coach while I was there (certainly not as a football player--if I look at a football I sprain my ankle) and TU beat preseason No. 1 Ole Miss in the Bluebonnet Bowl. Another choice for best season.

Tulsa was THE football powerhouse in the state of Oklahoma from WW1 to WW2. What might have been...

Coach picked up a Coach of the Week award and landed on a Coach of the Year watchlist this week. His QB got multiple recognitions, and star linebacker did as well. The LB coached by the guy Monty hired and promoted to DC. Go ahead and burn the place down.

The fact that this team is as good as it despite Monty is amazing!! Imagine what they could be with real coaching!! Sky is the limit for these young men if they stay the course .

The fact that this team is as good as it despite Monty is amazing!! Imagine what they could be with real coaching!! Sky is the limit for these young men if they stay the course .

You are absolutely correct. On face, it will always look like him though. Remember, there are always desperate ADs willing to make bad decisions to save face. It happens in all sports.

You are absolutely correct. On face, it will always look like him though. Remember, there are always desperate ADs willing to make bad decisions to save face. It happens in all sports.
It's amazing how the whole team and the assistants find ways to get around the head coach and win ball games. I bet Zach changes the play call every down so we gain more yardage and score more!

You could say it shouldn't be a discussion at all
Monty is the HC and deserves credit where credit is due. This has been a very good season so far. We also have a great DC and obviously talented players.

But he also owns his overall record and ridiculous game decisions. He also owns the penalties. And not preparing the team for the next game. Every single year he's been the HC we've played like that. Every year games come down to the weather, ref calls (penalties for/against), and which way the ball bounces.

His best season could've been just like the 3 that followed if we get different calls or the ball bounced another direction. The bad seasons could've also been outstanding with small changes. When your games come down to one or two penalties or which way the wind is blowing is an indicator of serious problems. The 2 main issues with this guy are the lack of discipline (game prep, penalties) and micro-management (no OC, the "check with me first" RPO offense).

While I left the fire Monty now crowd after our second game, he doesn't deserve an extension. If they do that, he better have his pay cut and be forced to hire an OC. On a short contract. If the success continues into a regular season, then we can talk about extending his contract.

Reactions: maverickfp
Monty is the HC and deserves credit where credit is due. This has been a very good season so far. We also have a great DC and obviously talented players.

But he also owns his overall record and ridiculous game decisions. He also owns the penalties. And not preparing the team for the next game. Every single year he's been the HC we've played like that. Every year games come down to the weather, ref calls (penalties for/against), and which way the ball bounces.

His best season could've been just like the 3 that followed if we get different calls or the ball bounced another direction. The bad seasons could've also been outstanding with small changes. When your games come down to one or two penalties or which way the wind is blowing is an indicator of serious problems. The 2 main issues with this guy are the lack of discipline (game prep, penalties) and micro-management (no OC, the "check with me first" RPO offense).

While I left the fire Monty now crowd after our second game, he doesn't deserve an extension. If they do that, he better have his pay cut and be forced to hire an OC. On a short contract. If the success continues into a regular season, then we can talk about extending his contract.
Except that leaves him with a contract ending after next season. That usually cuts into your recruiting next year, if he is coaching what could be his last season. We are going to have a conundrum next year.

A 1 year extension doesn't give much confidence to recruits either. Doubt we can him, but also doubt we'll keep him without giving him at least a two year extension. The only solution would be if somebody hires him away. I think that is a decent possibility, despite what a few others have said.

We should consider offering him an extension with a low, to no buyout clause.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT