ADVERTISEMENT

Monty staying.

Priorities-
1) get a new FB coach
2) get a new AD
3) get a new BB coach
4) IPF
5) Refurb stadium (the piss troughs need to go)
6) have one GHC lot, all others $5/10 to park close, North lots free

First three at the same time.
The others start one year after the first three.
???
Profit.

Priorities-
1) get a new FB coach
2) get a new AD
3) get a new BB coach
4) IPF

???
Profit.
You should add president and provost to the list if you want any real change (you'll just get another lapdog AD otherwise), but this is a good start.

Priorities-
1) get a new FB coach
2) get a new AD
3) get a new BB coach
4) IPF

???
Profit.

Bite your tongue! Urinal troughs 4 life!

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Bite your tongue! Urinal troughs 4 life!
whydo-they-call-these-things-urinal-cakes-when-theyre-clearly-piscuits-ingfipcom-kCNul.jpg

Wait, you think Manning and Haith were successful hires??? Seriously? Will Haith forever be successful because he made 1 tournament? Manning was like Steve Robinson, we dodged a bullet when they got hired away.

I know that these hires have been under multiple ADs and Presidents, so the problem is bigger than just the current ninnies.

There isn't a bigger problem. No pattern here to find. We have a current AD who needs to go. Haith has had one bad year, one good year and lots of meh. We aren't talking hypotheticals so yes Manning was a good coach.

How does TCU manage without free parking right next to the stadium?

ParkingMap2019.jpg

Sorry, I'm really not this invested. It's just a fun distraction from discussing football. :)
As someone who visited Duke's campus (sadly I didn't get to shake Coach K's hand), I can assure you there is almost no parking close or adjacent to Cameron Indoor or their football stadium.

Not now, in 10 or 15 years. You know, they are planning for the future.
"Planning for the future" in this case sounds a lot like "doing nothing". TCU was planning for the future when they built a parking garage. I don't agree that auto transportation is going to become so obsolete that we're not going to have use for a lot of parking. The mode of powering cars might change, but the use of cars themselves won't. Even now, companies like Uber, Lyft, etc... are having financial troubles as well as troubles with permitting in various cities. Banking on people not driving to our games is dumb. No one wants to rely on uber to bring their family of 4 to a sporting event. You really want to wait for a driver while your baby cries on a street corner?

Last edited:
There isn't a bigger problem. No pattern here to find. We have a current AD who needs to go. Haith has had one bad year, one good year and lots of meh. We aren't talking hypotheticals so yes Manning was a good coach.
We'll agree to disagree on Manning (though leaves as soon as possible for a bad SEC school is itself a sign of a bad hire IMO).

On Haith, you say "one bad year, one good year and lots of meh". And you would call that a good hire? That's solidly "bad hire" to me. Other than not being a d$#k, that's pretty much Wojick.

Haith's "good" year was maybe a B+ IMO - pretty god but not in the neighborhood of great. Kinda the very, very bottom of the good range. It should be an average year for him, not his best year.

Reactions: astonmartin708
You mean other than the 5 story parking garage they added?
garage1compressedblog.jpg

https://today.duke.edu/2016/11/new-west-campus-parking-garage-open

Built in 2016. Has 2,263 spaces. That's enough for nearly 25% of their stadium to park there individually.
Yes they have a parking garage...it was being built the last time I was there. No, it's not terribly convenient to the stadium OR Cameron. Cameron sits on top of a hill and this parking garage is at the bottom of a hill.

And maybe Duke wasn't a great example...mainly because they have plenty of space to drop structures like this on campus. The outer edges of their campus is largely green space with lots of trees. And I'd be willing to bet that the spaces adjacent to the stadium (on the map) and this garage are not free to park in, just like the majority of TU's lots on game day.

TU doesn't have the space to drop one of these unless you take one of the existing lots (the Harvard lot would be the most likely candidate AND a parking garage was discussed in that location when they were expanding the apartment footprints along 8th Street and behind Kep and eliminating a ton of faculty, staff, and commuter parking options by doing so. This is how I learned about the high construction costs of a parking garages. Ultimately a study of how many empty spaces there would be on campus at any given hour during a regular weekday in the Fall or Spring semesters led them to just do the surface parking lots along Harvard and along 4th Street (north of the law school and expanding that some) as there would be plenty of spaces available to accommodate the campus community. Of course people always complain because football players like to drive to the cafeteria from their on campus apt, students like to drive from their apartments to Kep and other buildings so their is a misconception that there isn't enough available parking.

Duke isn't a good example since they have 15K students on campus and the only events they care to fill are basketball games in a 9K arena. That arena will be filled without a single alumni or casual fan going to the game. Still, they saw the potential of having a parking garage. We probably wouldn't need one anywhere near that big. Even one that's just 2 stories would be a big improvement, essentially doubling the size of the Harvard lot. Having been a commuter student for a period of time, I'm extremely aware that the Harvard lot often fills up during the day and a good portion of the lots behind the Don Rey do too, and that's just on a day with no games going on. Yes, there are often some parking spaces elsewhere (like apartment complexes, or faculty lots) but you get ticketed if you park there. To top that off, there's never a shuttle around campus available when you need one.

"Planning for the future" in this case sounds a lot like "doing nothing". TCU was planning for the future when they built a parking garage. I don't agree that auto transportation is going to become so obsolete that we're not going to have use for a lot of parking. The mode of powering cars might change, but the use of cars themselves won't. Even now, companies like Uber, Lyft, etc... are having financial troubles as well as troubles with permitting in various cities. Banking on people not driving to our games is dumb. No one wants to rely on uber to bring their family of 4 to a sporting event. You really want to wait for a driver while your baby cries on a street corner?
I guess you looked at the stats on the article. You are a contrarian and the worth of your opinion just went from not much to ignore. I actually gave you respect, unlike many on here. No longer. You don't really listen to what the other persons on here have to say.

I guess you looked at the stats on the article. You are a contrarian and the worth of your opinion just went from not much to ignore. I actually gave you respect, unlike many on here. No longer. You don't really listen to what the other persons on here have to say.
I read your article. I don't agree with many of the assertions in it, nor do I agree that many of the campuses mentioned in the article mirror TU. Not trying to be contrarian.

TU is essentially an island. We only have so much space. We're surrounded by houses on all sides for a couple miles. Saying that students aren't going to need cars (and places to park their cars) is ridiculous. No one is going to ride share from Tulsa to Houston during winter break. No one is going to ride share to work every day when they have to work Downtown, or on Cherry Street or Brookside every day. If you hadn't noticed not many people even utilize the shuttle services on TU's campus.

Tulsa is not a metropolitan campus. We don't exist with a ton of businesses within walking distance of the school, or with high density public transit that can get you around town like in some European cities. The only times college students use ride sharing tends to be if they're going to an airport or if they're going out on the town.

Most importantly, increasing parking vertically might open up land that's currently used as a surface lot for future development of the university in terms of new buildings (like an IPF, or more dorms to promote higher enrollment. )

Unless we're willing to play like we're the UAE and expand our desert island into the sea of houses around us, we need space. And that either means razing our own buildings, or converting property that's not as important.

The northeast corner of 11th and Harvard would be a great place for a parking garage.

The northeast corner of 11th and Harvard would be a great place for a parking garage.
It would be. But I seem to remember people throwing fits any time anyone wants to build anything outside of the 11th and Harvard island perimeter (Even though TU owns it if I'm not mistaken)

Actually, the Harvard lot would be a TREMENDOUS spot to put an IPF, if you had a small parking garage on the other side of Harvard to make up for it. It would mean the IPF is right near the training facilities the athletes use in the Reynolds Center and the Case Center. It's not too far from the football field either.

Last edited:
I read your article. I don't agree with many of the assertions in it, nor do I agree that many of the campuses mentioned in the article mirror TU. Not trying to be contrarian.

TU is essentially an island. We only have so much space. We're surrounded by houses on all sides for a couple miles. Saying that students aren't going to need cars (and places to park their cars) is ridiculous. No one is going to ride share from Tulsa to Houston during winter break. No one is going to ride share to work every day when they have to work Downtown, or on Cherry Street or Brookside every day. If you hadn't noticed not many people even utilize the shuttle services on TU's campus.

Tulsa is not a metropolitan campus. We don't exist with a ton of businesses within walking distance of the school, or with high density public transit that can get you around town like in some European cities. The only times college students use ride sharing tends to be if they're going to an airport or if they're going out on the town.
That article wasn't about sporting events. It was about students parking on campus'. All that crap about ridesharing wasn't about athletic events. So you have to take things on the nature of ridesharing and such, and eliminate it from our discussion.

The gist of the article's application's to this discussion wasn't so much the specifics. But that it wasn't looking at the present, but planning for the future. Some of the specifics tell me that parking for events won't be that much of a problem to justify the cost of an underground parking lot at huge expense. A lot of parking's burden to the games will be lessened by those things which we already have, and those things which will be added to the equation later on.

If you had this discussion in 2005 there would not have been a clue about Uber/Lyft, scooter rental, possibility of driverless cars, etc., etc. Some of those things were out there but not yet understood as a wave of the future. Some were not even more than a twinkle in somebody's eye. Through having this discussion.

That article wasn't about sporting events. It was about students parking on campus'. All that crap about ridesharing wasn't about athletic events. So you have to take things on the nature of ridesharing and such, and eliminate it from our discussion.

The gist of the article's application's to this discussion wasn't so much the specifics. But that it wasn't looking at the present, but planning for the future. Some of the specifics tell me that parking for events won't be that much of a problem to justify the cost of an underground parking lot at huge expense. A lot of parking's burden to the games will be lessened by those things which we already have, and those things which will be added to the equation later on.

If you had this discussion in 2005 there would not have been a clue about Uber/Lyft, scooter rental, possibility of driverless cars, etc., etc. Some of those things were out there but not yet understood as a wave of the future. Some were not even more than a twinkle in somebody's eye. Through having this discussion.
I. Have. Never. Advocated. An. Underground. Parking. Lot.

Even parking will still be a problem in the future. People aren't going to want to pay to go to a game in a rideshare unless they're drinking... Why pay to park / pay to rideshare when you can watch at home on an app that you already have paid for?

People will continue to have their own car in the future. In fact, if anything, I would argue that self driving cars will make it MORE likely that fewer people ride share and need a place for their cars to park.

Unless Tulsa installs a subway / tram system before 3030, everyone will still have their own car and will use it regularly (self driving or not)

Even parking will still be a problem in the future. People aren't going to want to pay to go to a game in a rideshare unless they're drinking... Why pay to park / pay to rideshare when you can watch at home on an app that you already have paid for?

People will continue to have their own car in the future. In fact, if anything, I would argue that self driving cars will make it MORE likely that fewer people ride share and need a place for their cars to park.

Unless Tulsa installs a subway / tram system before 3030, everyone will still have their own car and will use it regularly (self driving or not)
Self-driving cars don't eliminate the need for parking but they eliminate the need for parking to be close to anything. Your car would drop you off at the gate and toodle off to park itself at OSU Tulsa or a long-term lot by the airport or in your own driveway, depending on how quickly you need it back. When the game's about over (or you're at your wits end with Monty in his 43rd consecutive 4 win season), you'd summon it and it would drive and pick you up at the gate. As long as it can get back in the time you need (15 or 20 minutes at a game probably), you don't care where it parks itself. The vision is that busy areas like downtowns and urban areas would have no parking, with giant lots on the periphery, where land is cheaper and not useful. Even with your car parked much farther away, you'd be back inside it quicker than under today's park and walk scheme

Self-driving cars don't eliminate the need for parking but they eliminate the need for parking to be close to anything. Your car would drop you off at the gate and toodle off to park itself at OSU Tulsa or a long-term lot by the airport or in your own driveway, depending on how quickly you need it back. When the game's about over (or you're at your wits end with Monty in his 43rd consecutive 4 win season), you'd summon it and it would drive and pick you up at the gate. As long as it can get back in the time you need (15 or 20 minutes at a game probably), you don't care where it parks itself. The vision is that busy areas like downtowns and urban areas would have no parking, with giant lots on the periphery, where land is cheaper and not useful. Even with your car parked much farther away, you'd be back inside it quicker than under today's park and walk scheme
That IS fair. However, the energy to power these cars will still cost money, and people won't want to waste it by having their car drive miles away.

We'll agree to disagree on Manning (though leaves as soon as possible for a bad SEC school is itself a sign of a bad hire IMO).

On Haith, you say "one bad year, one good year and lots of meh". And you would call that a good hire? That's solidly "bad hire" to me. Other than not being a d$#k, that's pretty much Wojick.

Haith's "good" year was maybe a B+ IMO - pretty god but not in the neighborhood of great. Kinda the very, very bottom of the good range. It should be an average year for him, not his best year.

First it's easier to take your criticism serious and not just opinion if you get your facts straight. Manning left for Wake Forrest an ACC team with history and great support.

Haith and Manning both have something Wojick, didn't an appearence in the Dance. Not sure you can call Mannings tenure anything but a success. I'm not extending Haith without another bid and promise of more in the future but we don't have to fire him either. He does need to step it up or an amicable split will be coming. He's a C. Woj was a D- , Philip's was a D, Self an A+, Tubby an A, Richardson A+, Robinson a B, and Jordan's roomie a F.

First it's easier to take your criticism serious and not just opinion if you get your facts straight. Manning left for Wake Forrest an ACC team with history and great support.

Haith and Manning both have something Wojick, didn't an appearence in the Dance. Not sure you can call Mannings tenure anything but a success. I'm not extending Haith without another bid and promise of more in the future but we don't have to fire him either. He does need to step it up or an amicable split will be coming. He's a C. Woj was a D- , Philip's was a D, Self an A+, Tubby an A, Richardson A+, Robinson a B, and Jordan's roomie a F.
I liked Manning but he did win the C-USA in a year when it was without Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU, etc... Some of those teams had good seasons that year. Haith has the benefit of playing in a multi-bid league where Woj didn't. I don't like Woj either, but Manning and Haith are pretty on par with him in terms of quality. Do we honestly think that the 2014 Shaq led team is better than the 2009 Ben, Justin & Jerome team? I'm not really sure... they both had significant deficiencies. For what it's worth... Haith has nearly an identical winning percentage as Doug when comparing their time at Tulsa.

LOL, you love mediocre. Wake has made it to the Sweet 16 once since 1996. Their conference finish since 2004 - 12th, 10, 7, 2, 5, 12, 12, 9, 11, 12, 14,10, 14, 13. They're a basement team. Manning's record there - 65-93, with conference finishes of 12, 14, 10, 14, 13. He made the play-in game in 2016 with a 10th place conference team and lost. Other than the 19-14 team in 2016, he hasn't been within a 3 wood of a winning record. If Wake is such a good basketball job, then he must be a sucky coach to get those lame results. If he's such a good coach, then why did he go to such a bad school? Manning would have been Haith level if he'd stuck around.

LOL, you love mediocre. Wake has made it to the Sweet 16 once since 1996. Their conference finish since 2004 - 12th, 10, 7, 2, 5, 12, 12, 9, 11, 12, 14,10, 14, 13. They're a basement team. Manning's record there - 65-93, with conference finishes of 12, 14, 10, 14, 13. He made the play-in game in 2016 with a 10th place conference team and lost. Other than the 19-14 team in 2016, he hasn't been within a 3 wood of a winning record. If Wake is such a good basketball job, then he must be a sucky coach to get those lame results. If he's such a good coach, then why did he go to such a bad school? Manning would have been Haith level if he'd stuck around.
Wake Forest has had sporadic success because some of their coaches have been able to find the diamond in the rough star players and convince them to come to WF instead of going to NC State. Dave Odom, Skip Prosser had some good teams but it was sporadic and coincided with them having a great player. Mugsy Bogues, Randolph Childress, Tim Duncan, and Chris Paul.

That IS fair. However, the energy to power these cars will still cost money, and people won't want to waste it by having their car drive miles away.
Oh my god. He'll search for any argument that allows him to be a contrarian. If they had parking lots to accommodate all of the events close to the stadium or arena they would charge fees to use them just like they do right now in the Blue and Gold lots.

That's money that could be applied to your car driving a couple of miles away. You would actually make a profit, even if they charged a ridiculously low parking fee of $5. There are spots much closer than the airport, F&M bank, the vacant school lot at 11th and Delaware. But I'm sure he'll come up with another silly argument. So what will it be this time? It hurts the environment by having your car make a silly 5 mile round trip to go park and then come pick you up? How ridiculous.

Reactions: Babe the Blue Ox

You're very hypothetical and slanted. He left for an ACC job on tobacco road. We're judging him based on what he did at Tulsa not after he left his success here.

Direct your anger to something productive. Manning was a good coach at Tulsa. Haith is an OK one. Just facts.

Monty has 3 losing seasons in a row, we fired Phillip's half way through one. Apples and oranges because this administration won't hold the coach to account as previous ones have in basketball and football.

You're very hypothetical and slanted. He left for an ACC job on tobacco road. We're judging him based on what he did at Tulsa not after he left his success here.

Direct your anger to something productive. Manning was a good coach at Tulsa. Haith is an OK one. Just facts.

Monty has 3 losing seasons in a row, we fired Phillip's half way through one. Apples and oranges because this administration won't hold the coach to account as previous ones have in basketball and football.
Hypothetical? I stated facts - you literally cannot be less hypothetical than stating things that actually happened. I'm glad Manning left when he did. I think he would have been Woj level or Haith level if he stayed. Maybe I'm wrong. Let's split the difference - I'll give you Manning and you give me Haith. That means our success in hiring is 30%, which ain't great odds. Or maybe you think that's good performance? It's pretty close to Manning's winning %.....

Oh my god. He'll search for any argument that allows him to be a contrarian. If they had parking lots to accommodate all of the events close to the stadium or arena they would charge fees to use them just like they do right now in the Blue and Gold lots.

That's money that could be applied to your car driving a couple of miles away. You would actually make a profit, even if they charged a ridiculously low parking fee of $5. There are spots much closer than the airport, F&M bank, the vacant school lot at 11th and Delaware. But I'm sure he'll come up with another silly argument. So what will it be this time? It hurts the environment by having your car make a silly 5 mile round trip to go park and then come pick you up? How ridiculous.
No I'm using logic. People who didn't graduate from TU have little reason these days to come see a live game. In many cases, they're already paying to watch the games via their subscription services.

A person is going to ask themselves, "Why should I go pay for parking / to fill up my hydrogen tank (or whatever) when I can just sit at home in comfort and watch it on the TV + ESPN plan that I've already paid for?"

Also, after having taken a big interest in the science behind machine learning I'm not as enthused about self driving cars as most people seem to be. I think they will have a lot of trouble getting regulatory approval due to safety concerns. The algorithms (models) they're built on are very good at predicting what to do in situations that you see a lot, but pretty bad a predicting situations that you rarely see like a deer or a child running into the street in front of you. The problem is, the rarer situations are usually the ones that are the most fatal in vehicles. Self driving cars might be suited for long distance trucking much more than they are for driving in an urban / suburban metro. At least in the near future.

Some of this hype seems to be fad-ish to me. Kind of like when we used to think we would have flying cars / jetpacks. Can we make them? Yes. Can we make them reliable, practical, safe, and affordable? I'm not so sure.

(I'm aware that there is also a counterargument, saying the accident rate could go down in situations where the car has better modeling / practices on conventional driving scenarios than people do since we tend to be careless / slow when driving by comparison. But I'm not sure I see society being ready to say, "We can accept this many deaths related to insufficient machine learning models")

Last edited:

We fired Philips because the regression from the programs' prior 10 seasons was so astoundingly bad. Similar to Blankenship. To go from tons of success to the toilet in the blink of an eye isn't acceptable. With Monty we were in the toilet prior to him, then out of it a bit and now back in it.

No I'm using logic. People who didn't graduate from TU have little reason these days to come see a live game. In many cases, they're already paying to watch the games via their subscription services.

A person is going to ask themselves, "Why should I go pay for parking / to fill up my hydrogen tank (or whatever) when I can just sit at home in comfort and watch it on the TV + ESPN plan that I've already paid for?"

Also, after having taken a big interest in the science behind machine learning I'm not as enthused about self driving cars as most people seem to be. I think they will have a lot of trouble getting regulatory approval due to safety concerns. The algorithms (models) they're built on are very good at predicting what to do in situations that you see a lot, but pretty bad a predicting situations that you rarely see like a deer or a child running into the street in front of you. The problem is, the rarer situations are usually the ones that are the most fatal in vehicles. Self driving cars might be suited for long distance trucking much more than they are for driving in an urban / suburban metro. At least in the near future.

Some of this hype seems to be fad-ish to me. Kind of like when we used to think we would have flying cars / jetpacks. Can we make them? Yes. Can we make them reliable, practical, safe, and affordable? I'm not so sure.

(I'm aware that there is also a counterargument, saying the accident rate could go down in situations where the car has better modeling / practices on conventional driving scenarios than people do since we tend to be careless / slow when driving by comparison. But I'm not sure I see society being ready to say, "We can accept this many deaths related to insufficient machine learning models")
Why should they even drive across town. Hell if they are as lazy as he says they are, why would they even want to get up and walk to the car much less drive there, and then have to park? The customers he imagines will never go to a TU sporting event no matter the ease or lack of it. Yes he uses logic.

Reactions: URedskin54
How does TCU manage without free parking right next to the stadium?

ParkingMap2019.jpg

Sorry, I'm really not this invested. It's just a fun distraction from discussing football. :)

It's much more reasonable to ask for donor parking when your parking lots are actually full on gameday week in and week out and you're playing a big 12 team every week. When we get to that point, I'll be all for reverting to donor only parking. The moral of the story is that they have WAY more parking spaces in close proximity than we do. INCLUDING A PARKING GARAGE.

I do really dig them basically having an Uber lane.... maybe we could try something like that! Also, it promotes people getting to and from campus safely! Maybe we could have Gragg drive an uber for us on gameday. He might be better at that.

Wow, you are an idiot comparing us to TCU.

1) They win games in a regular basis.

2) They are in the Big 12. People actually go to their games just because. I’ve have season tickets since we moved here four years ago.

By 3030, there should be individual hover crafts, so traffic shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Hypothetical? I stated facts - you literally cannot be less hypothetical than stating things that actually happened. I'm glad Manning left when he did. I think he would have been Woj level or Haith level if he stayed. Maybe I'm wrong. Let's split the difference - I'll give you Manning and you give me Haith. That means our success in hiring is 30%, which ain't great odds. Or maybe you think that's good performance? It's pretty close to Manning's winning %.....

I rest my case.

I sure wish we still had some football to talk about.

I wish we were comparing coaching candidates and talking about what changes we expect to see next year.

Instead we would rather attack each other over parking and made up hypothetical basketball coaching situations then look at our bleak future.

Hang on ol Blu, it's going to be far worse before it gets better.

Reactions: maverickfp
I rest my case.
Oh, I see. You're saying that to decide if Manning is a good coach and thus was a good hire, we can only look at TU performance and have to ignore anything after? That seems like a pretty silly rule but yes, I agree, from that perspective I am extrapolating from his Wake years to say that he is not a very good coach and thus was not a good hire. That, of course, is based on cold, hard facts and is pretty much irrefutable, I believe. Your view is that, notwithstanding what he's done at Wake, if he had stayed at TU, he would have been rolling in the tournament bids? If so, then he's really dumb to have left because he's sucking it big time at Wake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT