ADVERTISEMENT

Monty staying.

There are exceptions like Dr. Carnes at Duke
Do you know Nick? I hired him as an RA back when he was a FR at TU (I had to convince some higher ups that he was up to the task). He's a good guy overall. I found his book pretty interesting. He did study under Cornel West at Princeton so it's not surprising that is his take (when he came to TU he was fell to the more right side of the aisle).

As far as "attendance woes" and people claiming parking is an issue, I and many others parked nearly a mile away for an @OU game and it was packed. I've never parked more than 3 blocks away from a TU game.

Remember when Todd Graham voiced frustration that TU beat Notre Dame then came home to an empty stadium? And that was one of the best/most talented TU teams in the last 30 years. 10-3, blew out ranked Hawaii and lost to ECU on a last minute hail mary. TU stands were pretty sparse after that one early loss - 19,000 announced attendance and it didn't recover much that season as crowds ranged from 16k to 23k.

Even when Kragthorpe turned the program around in 2005 & 2006, there were a lot of games with only 15k-17k attendance. This is just a very small university with a small fan base that has probably diminished a bit with the prominence of OU/OSU. There are ~31,000 living TU alumnus vs ~200,000+ each for OU/OSU. Being an academic/private/international oriented school doesn't help either as most students don't care much about football. But even if they were all 100% engaged, that's maximum 3-4k students which won't make a dent on a half empty stadium. CFB attendance has been on a downward slope for decades since DVR and HD TV has taken its place for many CFB fans.

In 2008, TU was 6-0 and went 7-0 in front of 22k fans. After losing, attendance didn't go over 23k again. Then in the CCG at Skelly, 10-2 TU played in front of "23k" announced fans (but looked more like 17k if you were there). It was quiet and really was not a home field advantage. If you can't at least get 25k-30k for a home championship game or to celebrate an undefeated team, what could possibly make people show up?

Janet is right. Even when we win, the city doesn’t support the team. I believe a great part of that lies with the responsibility of the AD and how the program was promoted (or not). You have to reach outside the alumni base to have meaningful increases in attendance.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Nor did we on the academic side either. We shifted from a school primarily for kids from within 200 miles of campus to learn oilfield tech and accounting to work in OK and Texas to a school recruiting kids from MO and Kansas City to get a liberal arts degree and go to graduate school elsewhere. Most of those students left TU and have never returned. But boy did the faculty get a lot of free labor. I would love to a see a twenty year statistical breakdown of political science alumni between 1985 and 2005 broken down by career choice. Then a look at how many have donated and how many have bought even a single football or basketball ticket. I bet the giving and visit numbers for those In business, law, government, and the military look favorable or at least acceptable. There are exceptions like Dr. Carnes at Duke but everyone I went to school with that got a liberal arts degree and went into teaching that I’ve stayed in touch with could care less about TU or still holds a grudge over poor student services back in the day. Our giving alumni in their 70’s still going to games is starting to dwindle and they are not being replaced by alumni in their 50’s and regrettably that was by design back in the day by the faculty. In a quest for short term academic relevance and personal career boosts, we mortgaged an entire generation of alumni.
That was what I was actually referring to.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I am one of those 50s folks but with young kids, associated expenses, and not a ton to donate. But attend, do I.

Janet is right. Even when we win, the city doesn’t support the team. I believe a great part of that lies with the responsibility of the AD and how the program was promoted (or not). You have to reach outside the alumni base to have meaningful increases in attendance.
The team has had community support issues as long as OU has had success. Attendance and affinity issues go beyond one AD. That said, this one needs to be more demonstrative about his role in attempts to promote better attendance.

Reactions: TU 1978
Nor did we on the academic side either. We shifted from a school primarily for kids from within 200 miles of campus to learn oilfield tech and accounting to work in OK and Texas to a school recruiting kids from MO and Kansas City to get a liberal arts degree and go to graduate school elsewhere. Most of those students left TU and have never returned. But boy did the faculty get a lot of free labor. I would love to a see a twenty year statistical breakdown of political science alumni between 1985 and 2005 broken down by career choice. Then a look at how many have donated and how many have bought even a single football or basketball ticket. I bet the giving and visit numbers for those In business, law, government, and the military look favorable or at least acceptable. There are exceptions like Dr. Carnes at Duke but everyone I went to school with that got a liberal arts degree and went into teaching that I’ve stayed in touch with could care less about TU or still holds a grudge over poor student services back in the day. Our giving alumni in their 70’s still going to games is starting to dwindle and they are not being replaced by alumni in their 50’s and regrettably that was by design back in the day by the faculty. In a quest for short term academic relevance and personal career boosts, we mortgaged an entire generation of alumni.

Well, I was PoliSci, am military, have donated and had season tickets since graduation. So there's one data point that helps your assumption...

What are the donations like at SWOSU or U. Ark. Pine Bluff? With those as our closest peer institutions under the new strategic direction, they would be informative about what we can expect.

Reactions: jerandlaur
Good point, let's get back on track...

Do y'all think Bob Stoops would coach here if we had a parking garage? (I'm doing this until kickoff next year since there's nothing to talk about anymore)
If we got Stoops his own parking space in that shiny new parking garage I think he'd jump at the chance to coach at Tulsa. Who needs an office when he can work from the 3 million dollar retirement RV we bought for him as the highest-paid state employee?

There kinda has always been a disconnect between the community supporting TU, I never have understood it. My family had season tickets in the south endzone for eons until 2014 & the Blankenship years. None of my immediate family even graduated from TU but we still supported them non matter what. I still remember going the Fresno State game (1st post Rader firing) , I started attending TU games in probably '93 when I was 8 years old. I have a BS from OSU and My wife got her Dr from Washington state, and this past football season was our first season as TU season ticket holders and members of the GHC. TU is the team I grew up supporting, the home town team and we would rather give our money to support TU. OSU has enough band wagon supporters. We would get season tickets to BBall, but its tough for us, running and owning two businesses and having an 8 & 5 year old, but we got a 5 game mini pack.

There kinda has always been a disconnect between the community supporting TU, I never have understood it. My family had season tickets in the south endzone for eons until 2014 & the Blankenship years. None of my immediate family even graduated from TU but we still supported them non matter what. I still remember going the Fresno State game (1st post Rader firing) , I started attending TU games in probably '93 when I was 8 years old. I have a BS from OSU and My wife got her Dr from Washington state, and this past football season was our first season as TU season ticket holders and members of the GHC. TU is the team I grew up supporting, the home town team and we would rather give our money to support TU. OSU has enough band wagon supporters. We would get season tickets to BBall, but its tough for us, running and owning two businesses and having an 8 & 5 year old, but we got a 5 game mini pack.

Thank you! Our programs need more people like you. I appreciate you and your family’s support.

We have to do better at tying the community to the university in Athletics. There are three parts to making this successful. Winning, marketing, connection.

Win because people want to see a good competition.

Marketing because you have to let people know we are here.

Connection, once they know, they have to care. Local pride, local athletes, family going there or supporting the school equals core fans.

Tulsa has been doing poor at one of them since I have been aware of them (mid 90s), often two of them. Occasionally all three.

I hope more alumni (like Dre) getting involved who are also part of the community will start to help us build those connections. While our marketing isn't the greatest ever it is much improved. Now we need to go get some W's.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Well, first off...there is a huge disconnect with the one group there shouldn't be. Yes, TU doesn't have a ton of alumni, even fewer that stay in the area. But I know a lot of alum who still live in Tulsa who haven't even been back to campus after they've graduated, let alone donated to the school. There's a lot of them. Problem is no one at TU is trying to even get them back. It's easy to get the alumni who have taken an active approach. Seems like TU calls them a lot, mails them a lot of stuff, sends e-mails about upcoming events, etc. Someone at GHC and alumni need to look at the list and find every last one they can't account for a communication with and then send them a post card that simply says "TU loves you" with a brief update. It's easy to maintain connection with the people who want to be connected. Make a connection with someone who feels TU let them down in some way or didn't fulfill all the promises and dreams they felt a TU education would.

Reactions: TU4ever2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT