ADVERTISEMENT

Making Covid permanent?

I’m sorry if you took it personally.
Mind-reading…
But as for your question, yes, I always mask around unvaccinated people. Don't have any in my own home.

That was not my question. The mandate we were discussing was from Santa Clara, which mandates masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. Why would you be in favor of the government mandating something that YOU are not already doing voluntarily?

My point is that while you might be complaining about other people who are not vaccinated “not doing their part”, there are probably other people out there who are masking 100% of the time in their private dwelling who are complaining about YOU not doing your part.

It’s a difference of degree from you to the unvaccinated, not a difference of kind.

Last edited:
So do we simply wait for the virus to get here in the new form, study it as Fauci suggests, or start taking precautions? It seems prudent not to accept travelers from heavily infected countries. Note that there was a short, but important, delay on the start of the shutdown of the US, UK and several others. This to some extent avoided stranding of people.

At this point all I’m relatively sure of is that we’ll do all the same ineffective things all over again, at least in many places.

With two cases now being reported in Canada there’s probably not much we can do as far as travel restrictions. Maybe delay mass spread a week or two. There’s very little doubt the new variant is in the states. I would expect the first cases to be reported this coming week.

What reasonable and proven measures do you boys and girls propose we implement ?

It will be interesting when the big winter wave (that has already begun) gets blamed on a new variant and people not “doing what they’re supposed to” rather than plain seasonality

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
It will be interesting when the big winter wave (that has already begun) gets blamed on a new variant and people not “doing what they’re supposed to” rather than plain seasonality
Biden attacked Trump this morning. Pretty much standard, the new guy blames the old guy for everything. But this problem, if anyone in the US gets the blame it is going to have to be the current administration simply because they are here at the start. I agree with Uredskin54. Winter weakens people, especially the elderly. So far so good with the plains states, but with the new form of the virus in Canada, it is going to get here.

biden activates a travel ban with South Africa,

biden mandates that unvaccinated citizens should be fired

Biden says to quarantine if you contact someone that tests positive.

Biden says wear a mask

biden says e everyone should get a shot

so why is Biden letting unvaccinated, untested illegals just walk in?

Good news thus far. Mild flu or severe cold come to mind.

I was reading about that too. Not a scientific study, but if a doc that has seen a lot of COVID thought a batch of omicron patients was surprisingly mild, that is a good sign. Could be random fluke, could be some wishful bias on his part. Time will tell.

But one way we get out of this is if it mutates to something more virulent (a requirement for displacing other variants) and less severe. People are freaking out about omicron, but if it is actually significantly milder that could be a very good thing indeed.

I'll need to hear confirmation before I get too excited, but it is something to be hopeful about.

As suspected the Omicron variant is already in the states. Symptoms appear similar to what’s been reported in South Africa. The carrier was vaccinated which could be taken as good news (mild symptoms) or bad news (ineffective vaccine).

As suspected the Omicron variant is already in the states. Symptoms appear similar to what’s been reported in South Africa. The carrier was vaccinated which could be taken as good news (mild symptoms) or bad news (ineffective vaccine).

I assume by ineffective you mean in preventing transmission, which is true with other variants as well but only in relative terms. You’re still less likely to get sick and/or transmit if vaccinated

I assume by ineffective you mean in preventing transmission, which is true with other variants as well but only in relative terms. You’re still less likely to get sick and/or transmit if vaccinated
Get sick yes. Transmit…have my doubts. Isn’t a non sick person who is out and about more likely to transmit than someone who is isolated and bed ridden. To my knowledge the viral load is similar in vaccinated and unvaccinated.

Interesting article about modeling aerosols and viral spread.

These experiments are incredibly sophisticated but also a reminder that we still exploring how the virus works, spreads, and mutates. I have never understood criticism of the medical establishment for not nailing every aspect of a novel virus immediately. We are still learning and there will be more surprises. On the other hand, the basic blocking and tackling principles of public health have stood the test of time: social distancing, masking, good hygiene, staying healthy, etc.

To avoid Covid....lose that fat!

"Now researchers have found that the coronavirus infects fat cells and certain immune cells within body fat, prompting a damaging defensive response in the body.

“The bottom line is, ‘Oh, my God, indeed, the virus can infect fat cells directly,’ ” said Philipp Scherer, a scientist who studies fat cells at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, who was not involved in the research."

Last edited:
Reactions: Clong83a

"Now researchers have found that the coronavirus infects fat cells and certain immune cells within body fat, prompting a damaging defensive response in the body.

“The bottom line is, ‘Oh, my God, indeed, the virus can infect fat cells directly,’ ” said Philipp Scherer, a scientist who studies fat cells at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, who was not involved in the research."
Quit flirting with @lawpoke87 .

Reactions: lawpoke87
Nice to know the world’s top scientists read my posts here on our crossfire board.

This really jibes nicely with what my wife has been seeing and saying all along. Namely, that it affects the elderly and people with immunodeficiencies pretty badly. It's a serious illness and it does a number on those groups. But the very next group of people that she said get put in the hospital are the overweight of almost any age, even before younger people with lung or heart problems. Being young and morbidly obese is a worse predictor than being young and having a heart condition in her experience.

The failure of any type of plan or effort to address and reduce obesity over the last two years has certainly cost lives and remains ones of the biggest failures in our ongoing battle against Covid imo. We’ve placed political correctness over the well being of the public and there are no signs of this changing. As I’ve been preaching for the past 18 months….get healthy. Probably should have been preaching that same message for the last 40 years to be honest.

The failure of any type of plan or effort to address and reduce obesity over the last two years has certainly cost lives and remains ones of the biggest failures in our ongoing battle against Covid imo. We’ve placed political correctness over the well being of the public and there are no signs of this changing. As I’ve been preaching for the past 18 months….get healthy. Probably should have been preaching that same message for the last 40 years to be honest.
Agreed, and trying to stay fit is always a good message. Obesity is a complicated subject, though. It's not just humans that are getting fatter, oddly enough, and there are a number of theories why people and animals alike are putting on the pounds like at no other time in history.

Not saying a good diet and exercise won't help tremendously, because of course it will. But there is some decent evidence that we need a stricter diet and more exercise than those who came before us did.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-obesity-era?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Thanks. Great article, particularly the sections about environmental contamination which are frightening. My view is that exercise can offset some if not much of the environmental damage and also positively affect one's appetite. People I know who seem the most active in their late 70's and 80's and seem to last the longest absent a major event such as cancer or Parkinsons (which may well be related to the environmental contamination) are the ones who run, jog, cycle, swim, hunt, work in the yard, build stuff or play golf without a cart. They are height-weight appropriate and likely eat well, but exercise is a common thread.

As a friend likes to say 'Sitting is the new smoking".

Cornell is shutting down its Ithaca campus due to Covid widespread outbreak among its students. The catch….all students are vaccinated. Obviously not good news. Hopefully most cases are Omicron.

NFL had its highest number of Covid positives yesterday since the pandemic started. NFL vaccination rate is almost 100%.

Highly transmissible and extremely mild severity. Guess we should praise South Africa for spawning the variant

We will know a lot more in a week when more data is in. One problem is that conditions worldwide vary so greatly. Wild variations in vaccination rates, weather, living conditions, etc. US data is sparse, and it's hard to interpret the SA data because of these differences.

Last edited:
Vaccination rates are now largely irrelevant when it comes to Covid spread. New York has 72% fully vaccinated and 82% with at least one vaccine. Yet NY had the highest number of new Covid cases yesterday in the history of the pandemic. Just a remarkable stat. Probably should stop calling this a vaccination at this point.

Vaccination rates are now largely irrelevant when it comes to Covid spread. New York has 72% fully vaccinated and 82% with at least one vaccine. Yet NY had the highest number of new Covid cases yesterday in the history of the pandemic. Just a remarkable stat. Probably should stop calling this a vaccination at this point.
Its a therapeutic...

Florida also had relatively high vaccination rates at the time of their major surge. Still ended up with a lot of deaths due to the lower effectiveness of the vaccine in the elderly, but I have to imagine the vaccines averted a full on catastrophe

Omicron now accounts for over 70% of all new cases in the US (and growing rapidly). Closing travel from South Africa was useless. Lesson for those who were blaming our failure to ban travel early on for the Covid spread.

The NFL has acknowledged the extremely low risk posed by omicron. Will others follow suit ?

Omicron now accounts for over 70% of all new cases in the US (and growing rapidly). Closing travel from South Africa was useless. Lesson for those who were blaming our failure to ban travel early on for the Covid spread.

The NFL has acknowledged the extremely low risk posed by omicron. Will others follow suit ?
Maybe someday the NFL will start to acknowledge the brain injuries that are causing their retirees to shoot strangers and batter their loved ones or at best become debilitated. Seems like a good organization to trust for your Health Advice. Clearly they care about their employees.

Has there been a vaccinated professional athlete in any sport die or even been hospitalized in the past 4 months? Looks like a reasonable policy change by the NFL given the fact that Omicron is now by far the dominant strain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT