ADVERTISEMENT

Making Covid permanent?

Has there been a vaccinated professional athlete in any sport die or even been hospitalized in the past 4 months? Looks like a reasonable policy change by the NFL given the fact that Omicron is now by far the dominant strain.
Omicron is becoming the dominant strain. The statistics was that 70% of newly sequenced cases were Omicron, not that 70% of existing cases were Omicron.

Has there been a vaccinated professional athlete in any sport die or even been hospitalized in the past 4 months? Looks like a reasonable policy change by the NFL given the fact that Omicron is now by far the dominant strain.

Vikings G Dakota Dozier in Hospital Due to COVID-19, Condition is Stable​

Mike Zimmer confirmed that the Vikings had a vaccinated player go to the ER because of COVID.

Zimmer said the player is currently stable and still in the hospital, but that the situation was scary.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time since being activated off the Reserve/COVID-19 list, Buffalo Bills left tackle Dion Dawkins spoke with the media. Not only did he confirm he tested positive for the coronavirus, but that he spent four days in the hospital battling the disease calling it “one of the lowest points in my life.”

He says he had received both of his coronavirus vaccine doses and was just a couple days from being considered fully vaccinated and out of the two-week window when he tested positive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My point is that all of these athletes haven't yet received boosters nor are some of them even eligible yet. And, as we've heard two shots ~ 30% protection. An abundance of caution in response to games that will ultimately have little to know meaning in the grand scheme of things is not unwarranted.

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
So one professional athlete in the last four months from a strain which is not omicron….and he’s fine and playing.

New cases is the key stat btw not active cases. I would expect the Omicron percentage to continue to climb. New York continues to set records for new cases btw despite mandatory masks and one of the highest vaccination rates in the country. As I said above, it appears the Admin is all but acknowledging there is little that can be done about the spread and focus on deaths instead. Likely because Omicron is a mild strain and it’s the one positive Biden can take from the coming outbreak.

Omicron now accounts for over 70% of all new cases in the US (and growing rapidly). Closing travel from South Africa was useless. Lesson for those who were blaming our failure to ban travel early on for the Covid spread.

The NFL has acknowledged the extremely low risk posed by omicron. Will others follow suit ?
Travel bans don't work unless you are a) Sure that it doesn't already exist in your country, and b) COMPLETELY close the border, not just from country a, b, and c.

Of course, doing something like that early enough to matter would be regarded as overreach and draconian and would be politically unpalatable. Doing nothing also doesn't play well, so I view these travel bans as mostly a band aid on a gunshot wound that is mostly there so that the gov't can say it is trying something.

I think the risk is very much uncertain with omicron. I am hopeful that it is milder and there is some preliminary evidence supporting that. But regardless, we shouldn't really extrapolate the perceived risk of omicron to professional athletes as indicative of the risk to your everyday American. Most Americans are nowhere near as physically fit as top athletes.

We lack the political will to completely close our borders. Travel bans were never going to work. They are purely for political cover (hey…we did something).

I expect Omicron case numbers to reach or exceed pandemic highs in the coming weeks. I’m convinced there’s very little we can do (or are willing to do) to prevent the same. Vaccinations and masks won’t limit transmission in the general public. Hopefully this variant does turn out to be mild and is one of the final acts in this sad play known as Covid.

My point is that all of these athletes haven't yet received boosters nor are some of them even eligible yet.
When you say eligible, are you referring to it not having been 6 months since their last shot? That eligibility requirement is based on their need for the shot. They don't need it yet because they haven't yet passed the threshold of %'s saying it will help them any more than not having it.

That doesn't qualify as a justification for maintaining the rules the NFL previously held.

If playing with players that have it, and then contracting it during the game/practice is how they get it, that is the only viable justification. Slowing down the spread is the only justification, and not getting the shot because six months have not passed, doesn't meet that standard.

When you say eligible, are you referring to it not having been 6 months since their last shot? That eligibility requirement is based on their need for the shot. They don't need it yet because they haven't yet passed the threshold of %'s saying it will help them any more than not having it.

That doesn't qualify as a justification for maintaining the rules the NFL previously held.

If playing with players that have it, and then contracting it during the game/practice is how they get it, that is the only viable justification. Slowing down the spread is the only justification, and not getting the shot because six months have not passed, doesn't meet that standard.
Those thresholds were set up prior to omicron reducing the effectiveness of the current two dose regimen, but they’re still being stuck to.

Based on what we’ve seen in South Africa, omicron will spread quickly throughout the US. We’ve already waited too long to approve and provide boosters to the general public. Not much we can do now except wait it out. It is what it is.

Based on what we’ve seen in South Africa, omicron will spread quickly throughout the US. We’ve already waited too long to approve and provide boosters to the general public. Not much we can do now except wait it out. It is what it is.
They approved the boosters for the general public bout a week b4 I was eligible. So that was good for me. I was busy for a couple of weeks so I put off getting it till last week. Luckily I realized Reasors was doing it without appt. So that made it even easier when I realized I didn't have set it up.

Talked with an MD/PhD researcher from NIH yesterday about booster. Said (I think) one advantage of the booster is that the increase in antibodies is not just in number but also in variety, so a boosted person has a wider range of antibodies and a higher probability that a novel virus (variant) will be recognized. There's a similar enhancement of the T-cell system as well which would come into play if the virus made it past the antibodies.

Despite that he and his family are following all the protocols including rapid, at home testing, masks, etc.

Last edited:
Talked with an MD/PhD researcher from NIH yesterday about booster. Said (I think) one advantage of the booster is that the increase in antibodies is not just in number but also in variety, so a boosted person has a wider range of antibodies and a higher probability that a novel virus (variant) will be recognized. There's a similar enhancement of the T-cell system as well which would come into play if the virus made it past the antibodies.

Despite that he and his family are following all the protocols including rapid, at home testing, masks, etc.
If you wait long enough. Three month minimum from last shot for booster to increase and widen # of antibodies.

Next week there should be enough US data to get a handle on how lethal Omicron is. Early signs could be good, but consistent US data is important.
However, even if Omicron is less lethal and causes a lower % of hospitalizations, it is so contagious that it will likely infect more people more quickly, so the raw numbers will be higher and our medical/hospital system will still be overwhelmed and more businesses shut down.
Adding new treatments to vaccines should help particularly once we get through this winter.
Israel is now moving toward a second booster and we have more or less followed their lead because they have good data and are a couple of months ahead of us in responding to Covid.

Last edited:
we still have to get an annual flu shot, which is somewhat effective, and pneumonia shots, shingle shots, tetanus, small pox, chicken pox, measles, ...

better living through Chemistry.

Or they simply oppose measures proven to be ineffective? Something the NYTs not surprisingly refuses to address in their poorly written opinion piece.

Turns out it’s not just the unvaccinated keeping people from getting necessary treatments by overrunning the ERs. It’s also neurotic, afraid of the sun covid-phobics who are convinced every ache signifies their imminent death after receiving a positive test. Time to blame people for deaths. That’s how this works right?

“It’s not so much the beds that are the precious resource, it’s the staff at this time. So we have to have some of our clinical staff providing care to those people and they can’t provide care to the folks in the ER,” Hildebrant explained.

New York reported 50k new cases of Covid on December 24th. That is over twice the number of new case during the previous peak. Expect well over 500k new cases in the US this week. Blowing past all old records. New York is highly vaccinated and has mask mandates btw.

There is a sector of conservative media supporting themselves on anti- vax information. Here is Infowars Alex Jones taking down Trump admiting he took the vaccine:

On his Infowars show, Jones made the following statement:

This is an emergency Christmas Day warning to President Trump. You are either completely ignorant about the so-called vaccine gene therapy that you helped ram through with Operation Warp Speed, or you are one of the most evil men who has ever lived to push this toxic poison on the public, and to attack your constituents when they simply try to save their lives and the lives of others.

Over 300k new cases and over 1700 new deaths today in the US. Two years after this pandemic commenced. Just an absolute failure of our political and scientific leaders…and it’s going to get worse

Over 300k new cases and over 1700 new deaths today in the US. Two years after this pandemic commenced. Just an absolute failure of our political and scientific leaders…and it’s going to get worse
Because people don't get vaccinated and wear masks? The people in the hospitals and dying are the unvaccinated. It's on them and the guys making money misleading them. The whole concept of civic duty has been eroded by Tucker Carlson, Alex Jones, Fox, Sarah Palin, Robert Kennedy and the rest of that mob.

The people really taking the hammer are the doctors, nurses and medical staff who are overwhelmed by people who show up sick because they refuse to follow basic public health guidelines and get vaccinated. That medical staffs continue to help these people is a tribute to their sense of duty and self-sacrifice. The other group that gets hammered are those needing cardiac and other non-elective surgeries because the hospitals are filled with Covid patients who wouldn't be there if they were vaccinated.

Because people don't get vaccinated and wear masks? The people in the hospitals and dying are the unvaccinated. It's on them and the guys making money misleading them. The whole concept of civic duty has been eroded by Tucker Carlson, Alex Jones, Fox, Sarah Palin, Robert Kennedy and the rest of that mob.

The people really taking the hammer are the doctors, nurses and medical staff who are overwhelmed by people who show up sick because they refuse to follow basic public health guidelines and get vaccinated. That medical staffs continue to help these people is a tribute to their sense of duty and self-sacrifice. The other group that gets hammered are those needing cardiac and other non-elective surgeries because the hospitals are filled with Covid patients who wouldn't be there if they were vaccinated.
New York has shattered new case records and have enforced mandatory mask mandates. Can we stop the crap that masks are remotely effective in a real world environment.

The poor remain by far the least vaccinated demographic. The young are second. These are not the people watching Fox News. The Biden Admin has done a piss poor job in vaccine outreach in our poor and minority communities. They also have no general health program even two years into this thing. Knowing obesity is the number one health factor leading to death. Half of million Americans will die of Covid during Biden’s first year in office. Complete failure of leadership. One of the reasons the man’s approval rating is stuck at 40%

Fwiw I don’t blame anyone for our current case / death rate. Not Biden. Not Trump. Not any of the governors.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Fwiw I don’t blame anyone for our current case / death rate. Not Biden. Not Trump. Not any of the governors.
That’s not how this board works. We blame the political party we don’t like. Even if they’ve been out of office for a year 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Knowing obesity is the number one health factor leading to death.
You can't tell me you expect the most well designed health program combatting obesity, will have any kind of greatly beneficial effect on health or the virus.

The only way you can make any kind of headway there is to place restrictions(the kind of which would only be acceptable in China) on our food manufacturers and fast food restaurants. And even then the obese would find a way around these restrictions.

And even that wouldn't have a grand effect. Exercise rather than diet is the most effective way to combat that. That has about as much chance as the war on drugs.

The Chinese have mandatory exercise do they not?

You can't tell me you expect the most well designed health program combatting obesity, will have any kind of greatly beneficial effect on health or the virus.

The only way you can make any kind of headway there is to place restrictions(the kind of which would only be acceptable in China) on our food manufacturers and fast food restaurants. And even then the obese would find a way around these restrictions.

And even that wouldn't have a grand effect. Exercise rather than diet is the most effective way to combat that. That has about as much chance as the war on drugs.

The Chinese have mandatory exercise do they not?
If we can attempt to mandate employees be vaccinated as a requirement for employment any can’t we mandate those same employers set up mandatory health programs for those same employees?

A government program to reduce obesity and promote exercise would be greatly beneficial even in non Covid times btw. No country has more obesity than the US

The only blame i place on either administration is narrow. I blame the past administration for normalizing anti vaxxers.

That's the only political blame I have for any politicians. And that blame doesn't lay with any individual. It took a village to normalize that, not just Trump.

Last edited:
spent Christmas with my daughter and grandkids. Last week my wife with two shots and a booster, tested positive. My unvaccinated grandson has nothing.

So it begs the question: do shots, masks and shut downs work and are they necessary?

If we can attempt to mandate employees be vaccinated as a requirement for employment any can’t we mandate those same employers set up mandatory health programs for those same employees?

A government program to reduce obesity and promote exercise would be greatly beneficial even in non Covid times btw. No country has more obesity than the US
Yeah, that would go over well. About like the vaccine mandate.

Yeah, that would go over well. About like the vaccine mandate.
Funny…I assumed many of the people who opposed the vaccine mandate would take advantage of free workout equipment and time and vice versa. The point is we thought it was necessary to require people be vaccinated as a requirement to work but never gave a thought to actually helping them get healthy. In the end both serve similar purposes.

Even requiring large employers to offer a health plan to their employees would have been a significant step in the right direction and saved lives.

Funny…I assumed many of the people who opposed the vaccine mandate would take advantage of free workout equipment and time and vice versa. The point is we thought it was necessary to require people be vaccinated as a requirement to work but never gave a thought to actually helping them get healthy. In the end both serve similar purposes.
Some would, but I bet those that would be appreciative are already on the healthy side. That's the problem, you have to motivate the unhealthy, and they are the hardest to motivate. Mandatory doesn't sit well with the unhealthy. They dont like doing something by force. Overall it would just subsidize the healthier subset's gym membership and anger a large portion of the workforce.

SEMI IMPORTANT EDITS ADDED.

Last edited:
Reactions: astonmartin708
we still have to get an annual flu shot, which is somewhat effective, and pneumonia shots, shingle shots, tetanus, small pox, chicken pox, measles, ...

better living through Chemistry.
In case you missed it, they missed the proper strain this year.
spent Christmas with my daughter and grandkids. Last week my wife with two shots and a booster, tested positive. My unvaccinated grandson has nothing.

So it begs the question: do shots, masks and shut downs work and are they necessary?
Nobody can cure this kind of ignorance.

The only blame i place on any administration is narrow. I blame the past administration for normalizing anti vaxxers.

That's the only political blame I have for any politicians. And that blame doesn't lay with any individual. It took a village to normalize that, not just Trump.

That’s fair. It took many misdeeds from a lot of different people to produce a level of mistrust that led millions of people who have had no problem getting vaccinated their entire lives to refuse vaccination. Institutions that people trusted set that trust on fire, and then grifters, conspiracy nuts, and people like Trump who obviously knew better took advantage of it.

I blame a combination of all of the above in addition to the governmental structure itself being insufficient to prevent these issues…. (That is to say that we’ve made our government bend its knee to corporate money that has made our people unhealthier than their counterparts in civilization. That includes a promotion of junk food and a lack of affordable healthcare)

You want to look like Communist China with all the employees doing jumping jacks in the city center?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT