ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois State

As an ISU alum...

The Redbirds would finish in bottom 1/3rd of the AAC this year.

I did not watch. I just now looked at the score anticipating the result here.

Frank Haith will be FIRED by start of Conference play... he's a terrible coach and :crap:ty recruiter.

Wake me up when Tulsa gets a new coach.

See ya...

As an ISU alum...

Frank Haith will be FIRED by start of Conference play... he's a terrible coach and :crap:ty recruiter.

See ya...

Haith will be fired at the beginning of conference play? That’s news to me! Where did you get this little nugget of wisdom?

As an ISU alum...

See ya...
I tend disagree about the recruiting. He seems to be holding his own in that department. Remember that we are a young team that is expected to take some lumps. We've definitely struggled more than expected thus far, but it is still November. Firing a coach in mid-season because you lost a couple of games you shouldn't have would be pretty dumb. There is still plenty of time for Haith and this team to grow. Playing down to the level of the competition is a sign of inexperience, which can be corrected.

If they don't adjust and start to gel and be the team we want them to be (which I am not saying will or won't happen), then yeah, Haith should be probably be getting his resume ready at the end of the year. But I'm not going to give up on a team this talented in November.

As an ISU alum...

See ya...
What a clown troll.

If keyshawn Evans scores 36 a game? No, they wouldn’t finish in the bottom third you assclown. Go S a D troll.

We are built to press and run. That is the type of game we need to play. Quit hanging back in a zone. If we are going to play 12 people, then run like crazy!!

ISU was picked preseason 4th out of ten in the MVC. No idea where that would put them in the AAC. They are likely a team who will have good nights when they shoot well and off nights when those outside shots aren't falling. Probably an NIT type of squad.

Exactly. Wake me up when Keyshawn Evans scores 36 again all season and when he’s making pull up threes off the dribble in transition.

We might be terrible, but the American is going to be stacked- should be fun to see how many get an invite to the dance- Wichita just came back to beat Cal- with bullying the ball inside- couldn't make outside shots and still found a way

Haith is Bizzaro Wojick.

I've had the same thought.

Every year under Haith, we've had multiple guys who attempt multiple 3s per game while shooting around 25%. Say what you will about Woj (and there's plenty to say), those guys pretty consistently got a red light and a seat on the bench.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
I've had the same thought.

Every year under Haith, we've had multiple guys who attempt multiple 3s per game while shooting around 25%. Say what you will about Woj (and there's plenty to say), those guys pretty consistently got a red light and a seat on the bench.

So did the guys shooting 60% in a game...

I tend disagree about the recruiting. He seems to be holding his own in that department. Remember that we are a young team that is expected to take some lumps. We've definitely struggled more than expected thus far, but it is still November. Firing a coach in mid-season because you lost a couple of games you shouldn't have would be pretty dumb. There is still plenty of time for Haith and this team to grow. Playing down to the level of the competition is a sign of inexperience, which can be corrected.

If they don't adjust and start to gel and be the team we want them to be (which I am not saying will or won't happen), then yeah, Haith should be probably be getting his resume ready at the end of the year. But I'm not going to give up on a team this talented in November.
Agree. scott, Jefferies, igbanu, korita, artisan only have I year of d1 experience as freshmen. wheeler has I year of d1 experience out of juco. Henderson has 2 years of d1 experience. taplin has 2years of d1 experience. etou has 3 years o d1 experience. joiner and Jackson have no d1 experience. my point I guess is we are very young except for etou, taplin and Henderson. etou is ok, taplin scores but, drives into trouble inside like he did early last season and Henderson does nothing.

Please let me know wher you think we have held our own in recruiting? I will compare only to other aac teams.

Agree. scott, Jefferies, igbanu, korita, artisan only have I year of d1 experience as freshmen. wheeler has I year of d1 experience out of juco. Henderson has 2 years of d1 experience. taplin has 2years of d1 experience. etou has 3 years o d1 experience. joiner and Jackson have no d1 experience. my point I guess is we are very young except for etou, taplin and Henderson. etou is ok, taplin scores but, drives into trouble inside like he did early last season and Henderson does nothing.
This is true, and also about half of the main guys on this team have never played a college game together before this year. So there are lots of justifications for a slow start. I'm fine with that, but it seems like we make these same justifications for Haith teams every year. There are always perfectly logical reasons for why the team isn't all that good but when there are reasons year after year, you have to wonder if the reasons are really the reasons.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
You can recruit talented players, but if your game preparation and coaching during games sucks, you get the results we’re seing so far.

We coulda, woulda and shoulda beat Iowa State, if we had played our best players and not have rotated player after player into the game. Substitutions were made time and time again for no apparent reason. Had we beaten Iowa State, we likely would have continued to develop the momentum created by 3 wins in a row (ORU, Western Michigan and ISU) that could have carried us forward to a win against Boise State and the tournament championship. Then, we would be 4 and 1 instead of 2 and 3 and the season ahead would look much brighter. As it is, we've already lost 3 non-conference games that are killers to our post season hopes. Mass and continuous substitutions of 2, 3 or 4 players every few minutes disrupts the flow and rhythm that players need to develop to play well. Why do starters need to come out of the game 3 to 4 minutes in? Why pull a player after he's just hit 2 shots in a row? Why leave one of your better players on the bench for 5 to 8 minutes when you're falling farther and farther behind. Shooters may miss their first couple of shots, but then can get hot and hit 4 in a row...our substitution pattern of certain key players never lets that happen. The losses we suffered in this tournament are due to poor coaching...pure and simple. And they will continue as long as this coaching staff remains confused about who can play and who can't.

I don’t know that you can coach around some of the rebounding issues. We should do better with effort, but we just aren’t big enough. This team has talent, but right now it’s a weird roster with eerily similar issues to JP’s first 9-20 team. We have more talent, but there is plenty of reason for concern.

Reactions: Clong83a
I still think you have to play your best rebounders as many minutes as possible. This means Igbanu, Jeffries,and Etou all together and quit worrying about fouls. If you fall further and further behind while keeping them on the bench worrying then you have waited too long.

I think a lot of coaches have fixed sub patterns so players know their roles and can prepare. And not giving the early hook to a guy who's shooting poorly can give him the confidence to shoot out of it. I don't think any of these things are black and white, tho clearly Haith hasn't found the balance.

Reactions: Clong83a
The rebounding issue is. Bruce Howard even pointed out how we don’t see enough of the Etou, Igbanu, Jeffries pairing. I think everyone assumed before the preseason that was our starting front line. Wheeler is playing as well as he can, but he’s no Tim Peete.

The rebounding issue is. Bruce Howard even pointed out how we don’t see enough of the Etou, Igbanu, Jeffries pairing. I think everyone assumed before the preseason that was our starting front line. Wheeler is playing as well as he can, but he’s no Tim Peete.
Yeah, rebounding will be our Achilles' heel all season. We can improve with both effort and more effective player combinations, but obviously we aren't going to suddenly become a top rebounding team.

Please, everyone, don't take my previous comment and assume that I am a huge Haith fan. There are clear problems early in this season, and they were somewhat predictable. The question is how effectively he can address them over the course of the year. I'm anti-firing him in the middle of the season, but I do believe Haith's future here will be decided by the end of it.

When 90 % of the posters here see the problems from our distance, I suspect it may be "can't see the forest for the trees" thing with the coaches. Sometimes you just have to step back and get outside views on things. Wojcik was the world's worst in thinking he was always right . ( "I will never use a zone or a full court pressure defense") We may soon find out about Haith.

Going to see ISU/TU in Normal Saturday.

First time to see team in person.

The television adds 10 pounds and somehow, amazingly, seems to reveal Tulsa being a very poor/undisciplined team on the perimeter (defensively) and a very inconsistent outside shooting team as well as a very poor rebounding team.

I'll see if this is an illusion with my own 2 eyes Saturday...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT