ADVERTISEMENT

Houston job

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So that opening has been an absolute dumpster fire. The UH president reportedly tweeted Brett McMurphy for suggestions. Then shortly thereafter Muschamp was reported to be the guy only to have it come out that he was going to decide between the UH HC gig and the Auburn DC job. He chose the Auburn DC job for probably less $ than he would have made as HC at UH. So what motivates you to take a coordinator position instead of a HC job at a growing school with a brand new stadium in a recruit rich area? I guess we know which HC gig is a better job in the AAC.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I like Brett (he was my college roomate) but why would an AD ask an ESPN guy from Yukon for HC recs? Haven't they hired a search firm?

Here's a suggestion...don't let a great offensive mind who was once your OC and coached two great qb's there get hired to coach a team in your division.

Too damn bad...

TU Man, hysterical. I saw the tweet and submitted Pat Jones' names as a recommendation for Houston. Let's see if the Squeaky Munchkin likes being the $h!t against the wall to see if it sticks

I think Pat Jones or Houston Nutt would be great candidates. Hell, Keith Burns might want to get back in the game too. Charlie Stubbs also has recent HC experience. Mike Stoops is a firecracker and I get they could get a 2fer with Heupel with a free ride on the schooner all the way to that armpit of Houston. Does anyone know if Mikw Price would be interested?

I really thought we would lose out on Montgomery when Houston came open. He coached there for years and developed some great QB's while there. Turns out ... he would rather coach at Tulsa. Maybe TU's not such a bad job after all.

Suck it Pat Jones.

Muschamp took the DC job so he could still get the 6.3 mil that Florida owes him, if he took another hc job he would have forfeited the Florida money

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
I like Brett (he was my college roomate) but why would an AD ask an ESPN guy from Yukon for HC recs? Haven't they hired a search firm?
It's the school president who has made a mockery of the process. Asking for suggetsions from media figures and fans.

TX.

Originally posted by kcarzoli:
Muschamp took the DC job so he could still get the 6.3 mil that Florida owes him, if he took another hc job he would have forfeited the Florida money
Interesting.

Congrats on the Hiring of PM...He will make TU fun to watch and that is good for the conference. My wife and I got to know he and his wife when they came to UH. It was a big change for them coming straight from HS football. There is a lot of bad information on this board regarding the UH search,so I thought I would offer a little clarity. Hardly a dumpster fire in Houston.

Philip Montgomery was never considered for our job. Not because of his coaching ability, but because he burned bridges on his way out with Briles...He actively recruited RG3 and Ganaway while still on the UH payroll. Our AD had to get the NCAA involved to stop the nonsense.

Dr Khator is a "Chancellor of the People" so to speak. She has taken UH to Tier 1 status, record fundraising and is very pro athletics. She is very savy with social media and gets students and alumni engaged with her tweets. Its about connecting with the base, not looking for help to find a coach.

UH never offered Muschamp...it was a bad fit for everyone. There is another current P5 HC that is being considered this weekend, along with Herman. Lets just say he has Texas roots. Either of them will do a great job for us. The interest in our job has been fantastic, much better than when we hired Sumlin.

Expectations at UH are P5 or bust, so mediocre seasons like this just wont be tolerated by the fans, AD or the BOR. Levine was dead man walking after UTSA, Tulane and a close win against TU. Way too much talent for that to be happening. We will end up spending 1.5-2mil on the new guy...another investment on top of the new football stadium and the coming new basketball arena.

Congrats again on the hire...TU will be a much better team.

Clueless Tulsa fans like always. There's a reason why they will never be anything more than what they currently are. There's a reason why UH is always popping up when talk of P5 expansion comes up while there's no one talking about Tulsa. There's PLENTY of interest in the job, but we already have our eyes on the best candidate.

Hell, Tulsa wouldn't have fired Levine after going 7-5, they would have named the stadium after him since he didn't lose 100-6.

This post was edited on 12/14 2:43 PM by CougarKing

Originally posted by CougarKing:
Clueless Tulsa fans like always. There's a reason why they will never be anything more than what they currently are. There's a reason why UH is always popping up when talk of P5 expansion comes up while there's no one talking about Tulsa. There's PLENTY of interest in the job, but we already have our eyes on the best candidate.

Hell, Tulsa wouldn't have fired Levine after going 7-5, they would have named the stadium after him since he didn't lose 100-6.

This post was edited on 12/14 2:43 PM by CougarKing
As far as I've heard, Houston is about 5th on the list for expansion.

Originally posted by TulsaEye:
Kitty you can't go out the door without setting it on fire can you!
I haven't talked smack about TU in a while.
If by "a while", you mean two and a half hours ago, then I agree.

Coog high can run back to their board and stay there. We don't go to their board because there's nothing to be gained by it. Well, except to see what a train wreck looks like I guess.
This post was edited on 12/14 9:16 PM by TU Hurricane Warning

your great new president can probably find a football coach out there who cheated twice to match your new bball coach.

P5…lol. looks like the hot word in coogville

I saw this bit of class on Twitter from a Cooooger fan in the midst of folks congratulating Montgomery on the hire:

coog57™ þ@coog57 Dec 12

UH looks forward to the rivalry w/TU. @CoachPMonty

Originally posted by TulsaEye:
Kitty you can't go out the door without setting it on fire can you!
I haven't talked smack about TU in a while.
Why does Coog have the emotional need to come onto another board seeking acceptance and approval. Such a sad kitty.

So one of the UH fans posted that a current P5 HC in Texas is interested in the job. Let's run them down:

Charlie Strong, Texas- not happening. Just get that pipe dream out of your head now
Kevin Sumlin, A&M- uh, maybe but why would he go back?
Kingsbury, TTech- good luck with that nightmare if he comes
Patterson, TCU- HAHAHAHAHA
Briles, Baylor- you even admitted he burned bridges.

As for the UH to a P5 conference....not likely. Big XII would be the only logical conference possibly looking to expand to get to 12, but as the majority of Big XII ADs and university presidents all said they aren't going to add 2 teams just to get to 12. Mostly for Cougar Kitty: Simple math but probably still a little too advanced for you, $100M/10 schools is $10M/school. $100M/12 schools is $8.33M/school. Take the comment as saying they are not going to add Houston, SMU, UTSA, or any other school in the state of Texas because they don't need to have any more schools in Texas...they add nothing to the markets they already control. Adding a Clemson/Florida St is what they want to have more of the east coast/Florida markets plus recruiting. Its the same reason Cincinnati keeps starting a rumor that they are going...Cincinnati brings nothing to the Big XII except a travel partner for WVa. Colorado St...right. The other issue is the TV rights deals every school in virtually every conference has signed including the AAC. It is extremely unlikely that any school from the AAC can get out of their affiliation any time soon without a significant financial penalty and hardship created. ACC, B1G, Big XII, etc. have similar agreements in place enacted to stem the ridiculous realignment crap we saw 2-3 years ago. Do you realize that all of the AAC schools who defected from C-USA in this latest go around basically paid $2-4M each to realign to the same conference they were already a part of.

Face it UH, you're in the AAC for the longer haul. P5s want nothing to do with expanding right now because they already have the control they want and they're not looking to dilute the $ pool.

Houston fan still dreaming about P5 invites.
roll.r191677.gif

The ONLY chance Houston will ever have with the BIg 12 woud be if Texas leaves, and that ain't happen' with the LHN.

TX

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING #OhioState OC Tom Herman is expected to become the new head coach at #Houston, source told @FoxSports.

BOOM!

Originally posted by texcane1982:

Houston fan still dreaming about P5 invites.
roll.r191677.gif

The ONLY chance Houston will ever have with the BIg 12 woud be if Texas leaves, and that ain't happen' with the LHN.

TX
What's fun about the AAC.

There is a # of AAC Schools/fans who feel they are "Pud5"
qualified, certified, equipped, empowered,
2 B the next "Piss5" expansion school

Hahahaha
I luv 2 hear the whining from the wanebbees in our conference
It'll B so refreshing when we start beating them in the field of play

Big 12 expansion?
Comes down 2 what benefits Texas/OU the most.
Also, speculation is that this spring the NCAA
will over turn the minimum 12 team rule
to host an extra conference championship game

Who benefitted the most from TCU/Baylor being shut out of the playoffs?
OU/Texas.
The playoff spotlight, for the Big 12, has now shifted to 2015.

The Big XII has publicly stated that they have no plans to expand...they aren't going to "split the pot"...

A conference title game can also backfire if the favorite loses...

The Big XII doesn't plan on doing anything at this time.

The important task...To get OU and Texas better.

This is in a Dallas Morning News article...I don't know how to link it...

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Houston hires Broyles award winner Tom Herman.
Actually a pretty good hire I think. Several good new coaching hires in the AAC so far. Everyone seems to be trying to match one another. Building some pretty good rivalries going forward.

Everyone ready for 4.5 hr games as the norm in the AAC West (except for the one game we all play against Navy)? Seriously, b/t Memphis, SMU, TU, and now UH those games are going to go on forever. This should be fun. I hate to admit that Herman is probably a really good fit for UH after looking at his resume.

Coog has a pretty good staff in place to accompany Herman. They kept their DC from this years squad.

They are going to be really good next year.

Ward is a phenom athlete who was underutilized under Levine's system.

Just read that Herman will stay on at OSU through the end of the playoff which may be why he might keep a few of the current staff on board.

The general consensus was the AAC would be known for it's basketball, but I think football is going to be very exciting over the next 3-5 years. Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, and Navy will continue to be strong, with Houston, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple, and Tulsa's needle pointing up.

TX

Reported Herman gets 5 years for a a total of $6.75M/yr, so roughly $1.35M/yr. Believe Morris got $1.8M/yr right? And we are all assuming TU gave Montgomery between $1.3-$1.5M.

SMU got the raw end of the deal in all of this. Morris is a great coach and he seems to be putting together one hell of a staff from what I've seen, but the Hilltop is a really hard place to win football games. SMU seems to get less fan support that we do in Tulsa on a consistent basis and they are little sister to TCU. Houston is a challenge mostly because expectations are somewhat unrealistic in that they think they are a P5 school being held down. If UH was a P5 school they'd be P5 and not TCU.

TU's expectations are win 8-10 games every year against the competition we play each year. Montgomery is obviously the least removed from the recruiting stage in TX having been there for the last 17 years. Morris being in SC weekly recruiting trips to TX probably aren't possible. Same with Herman. That said, I think these 3 schools basically just served Memphis a dose of "We're coming for you, don't blink or we'll be passing you"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT