ADVERTISEMENT

Morning After Game Thoughts

cmullinsTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
I dislike Cincinnati like Barrister dislikes the inventor of the bra but their DC had a great game plan from the start.

Brin pulling a Brett Favre to sling it even though he was basically down for a pick-6 really hurt us and allowed Cincy to continue the non-stop pressure. That said, their D-Line reminded me of ours in the past few seasons and being able to get into the backfield without sending everyone.

I thought Brin played as well as can be expected with very limited mobility. I hope he gets a chance to heal his ankle because TU can still win a bunch of conference games.

Braxton looked better than I expected last week at Ole Miss and last night. It is never easy being thrown into big games due to your starter being injured but he was ready. I’m not surprised my least favorite TE dropped the well-thrown TD pass, he was probably talking trash while falling to the ground instead of focusing on catching the ball.

I liked the call to go for the TD from the one, just not to the previously mentioned TE. We couldn’t move the ball and mainly got to that spot because of dumb penalties by Cincy and Braxton’s legs.

I feel like Monty has actually improved as OC and HC this year. He hasn’t made nearly as many “are you serious?!?!?!” decisions so far.

I was secretly hoping we’d win last night and all the conference games so OU would look to hire him to replace Veneables (I can’t imagine he survives multiple seasons with the two losses he already has).

Reactions: 4tu2 and Gmoney4WW
I woke up thinking the same thing initially, but then again, I think as fans, we've become inured to losing. We've become inured to pathetic crowds. All the pre-game concerts, charity walks and bouncy castles in the world can't change the fact that the gameday culture here is "probably gonna lose this one, but it'll be close". The fact that Monty has been given an 8 year, 10 million dollar training course at the expense of this football team's prestige, fan support and swagger isn't good enough. I'm not questioning his in-game calls last night, just assessing the product on the field. This is supposed to be a competitive environment for both players AND coaches. I have no clue who else out there would be better, but that sinking feeling we're all accustomed over the past 7 years really shouldn't be perpetuated.

@TulsaGrad07 I don’t disagree with any of that.

This could be my blue and gold glasses but I feel like this season is a bit different (aside from the Wyoming loss). IF Brin stayed healthy, I think we win the Ole Miss game. And last night’s game would’ve been a thriller if he wasn’t so hobbled.

That said, it doesn’t excuse the previous years. I don’t know who the answer is for HC either but I believe it is best for TU and Monty to bid farewell to one another after the season. Regardless if he’s finally turned the corner this year as HC we will always feel like “well we will probably find a way to lose this one”. And it makes games less fun to watch. Even this year with Brin and the WRs throwing moving the ball all over the place in the first 3 games.

What should have happened last week as we all knew that Brin was a game time decision was to work Braxton as the starter all week in practice to prepare him to be the starter. Come the second quarter I was calling for a Braxton to be in because it was obvious to everyone that Brin was not healed and that Cincinnati was targeting his ankle.

Even leaving Brin in for the whole half I was ok with that but at the start of the second half, Braxton should have been the guy. Cincinnati was collapsing the pocket with our inexperienced OLine. We needed a mobile QB. There were times that pre-injured Brin would have scrambled for the first down or some yards but yesterday he couldn’t do that. That now made him one dimensional. We put Braxton in and Cincinnati has to rethink their game plan.

With a healthy Brin, we win both Ole Miss and Cincinnati. If Prince and Watkins were playing we win Wyoming even with our miscues.

Monty’s mismanagement of the clock and personnel are a big reason we are not 5-0 right now, ranked (or at least having voted in the poll) and poised to run through the AAC. We have the team to do it.

maybe this is a blessing in disguise and they call Gillespie to offer him the position.

I may get some vastly differing opinions handed to me here, but this is one where I feel the score made it look closer than it was. Sure, some of Cincinnati's biggest plays and points were on simply bad luck/blown looks by our defense or turnovers, but this never felt like a win to me after seeing Brin's limited ability right off the opening drive and Monty's seemingly stubborn insistence on not pulling him for both his own wellbeing and the team's.

Team discipline was also lacking to an almost embarrassing level. I used to get upset about bone-headed delay of game penalties, etc., but if it is true that some of our players tried to follow Cincinnati into their locker room post game, that is a bigger issue for me than the L. We all expect better than these antics. I get taking up for your teammates, but if it is true that another fight almost broke out, that proves Monty has lost some control. Red zone offense has been an issue for PM since Dane left, but that is a key issue that has to be fixed. I don't care if he has to channel his inner little league coach and build a separate mini playbook for certain players within the opposing 20, do something at least.

Worst of all on the Brin front, he now goes into what will (as always) be a slow, grinding affair with Navy at less than 100% --- the O line won't be in much better shape, either. IIRC, this is the first game this year where we failed to have any sort of lead. With the injury and stupid unsportsmanlike behavior bugs still at a near infestation point, a co-OC and extra effort at practice as it pertains to building an identity outside of the "Cardiac 'Cane" could both go a positive long way towards turning a few things around. I know Graham wasn't a saint, but you rarely saw his, Bill, or Steve's team's engaging in things better fit for the culture in Stillwater or Norman.

The brawl at the end of the bowl game was bad enough without seeing our guys tricked into another one. I think we still have a shot at a very good season, but we need to get healthy across all dimensions of the roster to do so. I feel Braxton has proven he isn't Chad, Luke, or Seth --- so give him the keys when Brin isn't able to fully perform. I am not taking anything away from the cowardly, high school level BS the cats pulled (like attacking an official), but there has to be even more restraint on our part now, maybe more than ever after 2020. Again, just my opinion. I do think with Prince, Watkins, and Bray we are likely at least 4-1, and with no injury to Brin, the more likely scenario would be 5-0, 1-0. Monty is the football coach equivalent of Doug Wojcik.

Last edited:
What should have happened last week as we all knew that Brin was a game time decision was to work Braxton as the starter all week in practice to prepare him to be the starter. Come the second quarter I was calling for a Braxton to be in because it was obvious to everyone that Brin was not healed and that Cincinnati was targeting his ankle.

Even leaving Brin in for the whole half I was ok with that but at the start of the second half, Braxton should have been the guy. Cincinnati was collapsing the pocket with our inexperienced OLine. We needed a mobile QB. There were times that pre-injured Brin would have scrambled for the first down or some yards but yesterday he couldn’t do that. That now made him one dimensional. We put Braxton in and Cincinnati has to rethink their game plan.

With a healthy Brin, we win both Ole Miss and Cincinnati. If Prince and Watkins were playing we win Wyoming even with our miscues.

Monty’s mismanagement of the clock and personnel are a big reason we are not 5-0 right now, ranked (or at least having voted in the poll) and poised to run through the AAC. We have the team to do it.

maybe this is a blessing in disguise and they call Gillespie to offer him the position.
Right on all accounts, except the part about us getting rid of Monty and hiring Gillespie.

Unless this collapses I don't see Monty going anywhere, at least not this season. And I do not have faith in our ability to hire a solid HC and give them the $ to put together a competent staff. Super negative, but we've got 12 years of data showing that's the case.

Nailed it……

Right on all accounts, except the part about us getting rid of Monty and hiring Gillespie.

Unless this collapses I don't see Monty going anywhere, at least not this season. And I do not have faith in our ability to hire a solid HC and give them the $ to put together a competent staff. Super negative, but we've got 12 years of data showing that's the case.
You say that but all I have seen lately from Brad Carson and Rick Dickson is that they are determined to get us back to where we should be. I just have a feeling. Maybe it’s gas but I am still feeling a regime change. 8 years and here we are.

I think I speak for everyone on here when I say that we don't want the program to collapse... That should not be a prerequisite to letting Monty out to pasture. I think we're all sick of facebook and the athletic department "hyping up" a team that gives us feelings of uneasiness and pessimism as some perversion of success. Never felt like we had a shot at beating Cincy the entire game, and that's demoralizing when we as fans have been craving revenge since the COVID screwjob and this was our last time to play them. The players were angry, you could tell, but it just resulted in MORE frustration. I mean, two games where you have multiple 1st and goal from the 1 or 2 yard line and NEVER ONCE get under center for a sneak just blows my mind. Practice getting 1 yard when you need it!!! Sneak!! Get a measly damn yard, bow up! Feels like we're in denial AND a protracted version of quicksand simultaneously.

I think I speak for everyone on here when I say that we don't want the program to collapse... That should not be a prerequisite to letting Monty out to pasture.
THIS!!! We've let the Janet Levits of the world brainwash us into believing we can't fire a coach unless they just completely suck. But what other decent program says you can stay forever as long as you're barely average? "Maybe we'll be better next year" is not success for keeping your job.

We also need to talk about regression to the mean. If Monty is a career 6-5 coach, he'll have years where he's 8-3 and years where he's 3-8. We all assume this year is him improving. Maybe, or maybe he's just having a good year. I personally think he's improved from a below average to slightly above average coach. But we shouldn't be stuck with a slightly above average coach forever just b/c we can squint hard and think how next year might be the year we've all been waiting for.

THIS!!! We've let the Janet Levits of the world brainwash us into believing we can't fire a coach unless they just completely suck. But what other decent program says you can stay forever as long as you're barely average? "Maybe we'll be better next year" is not success for keeping your job.

We also need to talk about regression to the mean. If Monty is a career 6-5 coach, he'll have years where he's 8-3 and years where he's 3-8. We all assume this year is him improving. Maybe, or maybe he's just having a good year. I personally think he's improved from a below average to slightly above average coach. But we shouldn't be stuck with a slightly above average coach forever just b/c we can squint hard and think how next year might be the year we've all been waiting for.
I am really struggling with my feelings. Part of me thinks "I guess it is OK. I should not take this so seriously. 6-5 is not so bad nor is being competitive if we are good enough to have a chance to win most games and I can get out and enjoy the weather. You never know what you get with a new coach."

The other side says "this same old thing could get boring. A change is inevitable. Why keep waiting?"

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I am really struggling with my feelings. Part of me thinks "I guess it is OK. I should not take this so seriously. 6-5 is not so bad nor is being competitive if we are good enough to have a chance to win most games and I can get out and enjoy the weather. You never know what you get with a new coach."

The other side says "this same old thing could get boring. A change is inevitable. Why keep waiting?"
You've officially become a blue hair!!! :eek:

I think there are 2 things behind this thinking - (a) it's been so long since we actually made a good hire that we're all gun shy, like "a change can't help anyway". But think back, coaching changes CAN improve things, esp if we different people are making the hire, and (b) if every coach has a Biblical right to 8 years no matter what, then each change is hugely risky. But coaches CAN be fired in less than 8 -10 years. I don't know if TU has the commitment, but if we can move on after 3 years, then I'm a lot more ok with the risk of moving on from an average coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
You've officially become a blue hair!!! :eek:

I think there are 2 things behind this thinking - (a) it's been so long since we actually made a good hire that we're all gun shy, like "a change can't help anyway". But think back, coaching changes CAN improve things, esp if we different people are making the hire, and (b) if every coach has a Biblical right to 8 years no matter what, then each change is hugely risky. But coaches CAN be fired in less than 8 -10 years. I don't know if TU has the commitment, but if we can move on after 3 years, then I'm a lot more ok with the risk of moving on from an average coach.
Yes I am. Or a no hair.

@TulsaGrad07 I don’t disagree with any of that.

This could be my blue and gold glasses but I feel like this season is a bit different (aside from the Wyoming loss). IF Brin stayed healthy, I think we win the Ole Miss game. And last night’s game would’ve been a thriller if he wasn’t so hobbled.

That said, it doesn’t excuse the previous years. I don’t know who the answer is for HC either but I believe it is best for TU and Monty to bid farewell to one another after the season. Regardless if he’s finally turned the corner this year as HC we will always feel like “well we will probably find a way to lose this one”. And it makes games less fun to watch. Even this year with Brin and the WRs throwing moving the ball all over the place in the first 3 games.
I knew you couldn't go Cold Turkey.

• Haha
Reactions: cmullinsTU
With a healthy Brin, Cincy's DL would have played more conservatively, in fear of getting burned. And when they played with no abandon, our beat up OL couldn't handle it. If we played Cincy before Ole Miss, this would have been an entirely different game.

I think we're the best 0-1 conference team in the AAC, not that this says that much.(including that we're better than Houston)

With a healthy Brin, Cincy's DL would have played more conservatively, in fear of getting burned. And when they played with no abandon, our beat up OL couldn't handle it. If we played Cincy before Ole Miss, this would have been an entirely different game.
I cannot help but think woulda shoulda coulda.

It only holds water if a team sometimes wins a big game. Like "that's why we lost that isolated game." Otherwise it rings hollow, "that's why we keep losing all those games."

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I would like to think you are right but they just collapsed our line and it would have been a struggle for a healthy Brin to escape. I think once Tressel and Fickle saw that their pass rush only generated 2 to 3 seconds for Brin to read and throw they would have kept coming. Several of their pressure sacks was with a three man rush.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT