ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Sweeney

11 years for premeditated first degree murder borders on insanity.
He pled at pre-trial iirc to conspiracy. The other two co-defendants who actually planned and did the shooting went to trial and received life in prison. The other defendant killed himself before sentencing.

Florida, like many other states, has a truth in sentencing law which would have made this impossible. An open plea to a 20 to 35 year sentence would have guaranteed he served at least 18 years regardless of gain time and good behavior. Of course, in Florida he likely would have been charged as a principal not mere conspiracy and would have faced life without parole or death.

Oklahoma has a lot of things that need to be fixed. They might think about starting here.

Did they ever reveal the motive?
Thanks to a friend offline. Neal quit delivering gas to the defendants store because he quit paying the bill. So he hired two guys to kill him. A third acted as a lookout.

He pled at pre-trial iirc to conspiracy. The other two co-defendants who actually planned and did the shooting went to trial and received life in prison. The other defendant killed himself before sentencing.

Florida, like many other states, has a truth in sentencing law which would have made this impossible. An open plea to a 20 to 35 year sentence would have guaranteed he served at least 18 years regardless of gain time and good behavior. Of course, in Florida he likely would have been charged as a principal not mere conspiracy and would have faced life without parole or death.

Oklahoma has a lot of things that need to be fixed. They might think about starting here.
Oklahoma had the nation’s fourth-highest incarceration rate at the end of last year, trailing Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas. Arkansas and Louisiana have some of the highest violent crime rates in the country, so they have high incarceration rates because they have a lot of serious crime. Oklahoma, while pretty bad on violent crime, is not 4th worst in the country, suggesting that whatever Oklahoma's problems might be, an unwillingness to incarcerate people for long times is not one of them.

Maybe this was a sentencing decision to get him to roll on other people. IDK but I can't imagine it was "just don't want to send him away for long"

They explained at least in part, what it was in the article, but the all knowing Oz has all the answers.

Awful. I remember looking this up the day it happened and finding a civil case on OSCN. It was pretty obvious what was going on. As I recall, someone talked too much and they were finally able to put this together and prosecute them.

There are a lot of factors that go into these decisions for prosecutes, ranging from the judge to the evidence to what the victims want. This isn’t a good result.

It’s not related, but we have a major problem in Oklahoma related to McGirt. It’s just screwed up the criminal justice system.

Last edited:
OK criminal justice and DOC are pretty much useless anyway... a 14 yr old kid put 3 shotgun blasts into my uncles back, reloaded and shot him in the head.. was convicted under youthful offender protocol and was out of jail making pizzas in Norman at the age of 18...

This is wack. It sounds like a lot of lower-level guys went down for this dude. Very Trumpian.
OK criminal justice and DOC are pretty much useless anyway... a 14 yr old kid put 3 shotgun blasts into my uncles back, reloaded and shot him in the head.. was convicted under youthful offender protocol and was out of jail making pizzas in Norman at the age of 18...
Very Clinton and Biden like...

( see... two can play the political gotcha game)

Awful. I remember looking this up the day it happened and finding a civil case on OSCN. It was pretty obvious what was going on. As I recall, someone talked too much and they were finally able to put this together and prosecute them.

There are a lot of factors that go into these decisions for prosecutes, ranging from the judge to the evidence to what the victims want. This isn’t a good result.

It’s not related, but we have a major problem in Oklahoma related to McGirt. It’s just screwed up the criminal justice system.
Funny that Gorsuch was the deciding vote on the McGuirt decision.. goes to show you never know how a SCOTUS appointee will vote..

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
If you guys want to make this political, have fun. But take it as well as you dish it.

Or we could all agree to not take shots...

If you guys want to make this political, have fun. But take it as well as you dish it.

Or we could all agree to not take shots...
It was a pretty apolitical remark for a political remark. And if you were intentionally quoting Noble he is pretty far right, so you were just pissing him off for no reason. I'm thinking nobody was pissy about this on either side of the aisle until you stuck your back side out.

Funny that Gorsuch was the deciding vote on the McGuirt decision.. goes to show you never know how a SCOTUS appointee will vote..

He’s big on tribal stuff, being from the 10th circuit. He’s also part of what I’d call a reckless new era of federal judges. It’s not all partisan. But there are some courts doing weird stuff. I’d lump it in with the NIL case and the mifepristone case (which was partisan af).

There are a lot of things that go into these decisions and I tend to just stick to my lane of advising people. I recently got a ticket thrown out under McGirt (I don’t do that work, but it was for a friend). But I see people driving on motorcycles up Brookside and through downtown recklessly and I wonder how much of that is because they can’t get a ticket. I once saw some idiotic group of motorcycles go up Peoria followed by a tribal police car. It made me wonder what was going on.

The standoff deal with the Okmulgee county jail needs more attention. But there’s so much crazy in this state, it’s mostly been ignored.

I understand the McGirt thing is a separate issue. My attorney son has discussed it with me. However, I am just posting this information to show driving is getting crazy everywhere :
My oldest daughter lives in the Memphis metro area. I have never seen worse driving than in Memphis . You will see people driving Memphis freeways over 100 mph at times and then you may see an apparently stoned out person driving 30-40 mph at times. I have never seen anyone pulled over for speeding or weaving in & out of lanes. My daughter says Memphis police are just focused on bigger crimes. Apparently everyone there knows there are no legitimate speed limits. It’s borderline scary at times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT