ADVERTISEMENT

Haith Extension...

Are we doomed if Rod doesn't show or are these 2 new guys good enough to make a difference?
Depends. If Ugboh commits, we may have a good team next year with players playing in spots they should be playing. Even now we could have a starting 5 of Igbanu-Horne-Rachal-Joiner-Scott.

I don't think there's any need for doom and gloom. Chances of getting Rod have always been slim.
Just a question, what reason was there giving Haith an extension? Ik it would be hard to recruit, but hasn't he had his chance?

Haith must have played a great cat-and-mouse game to get an extension with no plan to improve the program other than hiring a couple of new assistants other than Rod. Or the TU admin just doesn't care.

Haith must have played a great cat-and-mouse game to get an extension with no plan to improve the program other than hiring a couple of new assistants other than Rod. Or the TU admin just doesn't care.

Or the TU admin is changing a few things to give him a better chance to succeed. Yea, that’s it.

Or the TU admin is changing a few things to give him a better chance to succeed. Yea, that’s it.
People keep alluding to these mysterious forces that have apparently held us back in basketball for the last few years, but I’ve yet to get an actual explanation of what these forces are. Anyone care to let me in on the secret?

Reactions: URedskin54
People keep alluding to these mysterious forces that have apparently held us back in basketball for the last few years, but I’ve yet to get an actual explanation of what these forces are. Anyone care to let me in on the secret?
I'm on board for knowing what these are. They already did a $1M plus upgrade on the locker room which is the bomb. I think they charter to games now which I don't think was the case before. The only thing would be to throw them a bone on some questionable academic guys to get them in, increase the salary pool (but if they reduced Haith's salary to do that then that's a wash), or increasing the recruiting budget.

Those of you with inside info, please share.

I'm on board for knowing what these are. They already did a $1M plus upgrade on the locker room which is the bomb. I think they charter to games now which I don't think was the case before. The only thing would be to throw them a bone on some questionable academic guys to get them in, increase the salary pool (but if they reduced Haith's salary to do that then that's a wash), or increasing the recruiting budget.

Those of you with inside info, please share.

You’re on the right track

They got rid of the Ancient Greek Texts minor. Guys were spending so much time translating and acting out Euripides in the original Greek that they had no time for hoops. Getting rid of that distraction really helps.

Or maybe some guys on here think they look like a BSD if they have “inside information”.

You’re on the right track
I don’t know if you meant to imply that the new and potential transfers are “questionable academic guys” but I think you did. So, yeah. It might be better to either say what you think you know or not say anything.

Accepting transfers hasn't been our problem. Haith's entire squad was made up of transfers and JUCO's. There are a ton of kids every season that don't have collegiate academic issues. They're called Freshman. Haith doesn't seem to like to recruit them very often.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Accepting transfers hasn't been our problem. Haith's entire squad was made up of transfers and JUCO's. There are a ton of kids every season that don't have collegiate academic issues. They're called Freshman. Haith doesn't seem to like to recruit them very often.
Yeah I’ve never seen a team with as many recycled players. I assume it’s because it’s the only way he can get guys with that many stars, he hasn’t had luck getting them straight out of HS. Which is fine if their performance matches their stars. But if they’re transferring because their first place realized they weren’t what had been hoped, then it’s not a great strategy.

Before folks think the sky is falling remember the Haith contract extension has not been officially announced.

Will it happen? Most likely. However, it is possible it was contingent on Rod (or another top target assistant) joining the staff.

Before folks think the sky is falling remember the Haith contract extension has not been officially announced.

Will it happen? Most likely. However, it is possible it was contingent on Rod (or another top target assistant) joining the staff.
I’ve heard rumors(from a board member) that Haith’s Extension was contingent on Rod joining the staff. I’m currently wondering what the hold up is on hiring Rod and announcing Haith’s extension.

I’ve heard rumors(from a board member) that Haith’s Extension was contingent on Rod joining the staff. I’m currently wondering what the hold up is on hiring Rod and announcing Haith’s extension.

Maybe they are waiting to see what caliber of recruiter he gets on staff as well as weighing the spring recruits. He can't force Rod to join, so there have to be other options.

Rod probably won’t / can’t join until he’s done coaching his sons team in summer AAU.

I’m currently wondering what the hold up is on hiring Rod and announcing Haith’s extension.
it's laid out pretty well in the coaching staff thread in Hurricane Alley, and they are still interviewing prospective assistants. i'd guess TU will wait and announce everything when it's all put together.

They got rid of the Ancient Greek Texts minor. Guys were spending so much time translating and acting out Euripides in the original Greek that they had no time for hoops. Getting rid of that distraction really helps.

Or maybe some guys on here think they look like a BSD if they have “inside information”.

I think the actual spelling is YouRipADees

For years the administration has been very short sighted with our athletic program; hanging on to poor coaches, replacing a 40k stadium with a 30k one, building a basketball arena with not enough capacity, failing to schedule better opponents for our home schedule, not marketing our program well enough.

We are in the best conference that we have ever been. The potential is there.

For years the administration has been very short sighted with our athletic program; hanging on to poor coaches, replacing a 40k stadium with a 30k one, building a basketball arena with not enough capacity, failing to schedule better opponents for our home schedule, not marketing our program well enough.

The marketing is 100% Gragg's fault. They do not do the right things holding onto old school strategies in a digitally connected world. The schedule is 90% Gragg's fault...the other 10% is Gragg realizing he needs to take some of these sacrificial lamb pay games to keep the lights on.

The stadium visioning was right at the time. It's still right since we still can't fill the smaller capacity stadium. Part of this can be brought back to the above 2 items.

Looking at the attendance the past 10+ years.. I’d say the arena and stadium both have more than enough capacity unfortunately

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Looking at the attendance the past 10+ years.. I’d say the arena and stadium both have more than enough capacity unfortunately
Low standard. We should expect better.
Maybe our product is infereier. We used to fill a 40k stadium, amd the bball arena.

We never filled a 40k stadium on a regular basis. At least not in the past 40 years.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT