ADVERTISEMENT

Football Players Entering Portal

Not that big of a loss , the whole defense needs rebooted , we have a couple of nice pieces like Owen but most of them need to be replaced with a lot better quality of a player , that was one of the worst defenses in the country and we let them put more points on us in one half then they averaged a game.
Good luck to you Jayden !

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
Not sure, but it seemed Jayden had a hard time staying on the field. Injuries set him back, but I'm sorry he is leaving. Good luck big fella!

Whatever happened to Haydon Grant? I never heard why he wasn’t on the roster this year.

Not that big of a loss , the whole defense needs rebooted , we have a couple of nice pieces like Owen but most of them need to be replaced with a lot better quality of a player , that was one of the worst defenses in the country and we let them put more points on us in one half then they averaged a game.
Good luck to you Jayden !
We shouldn't and won't replace the entire defense. You don't replace the entire team, like we did in basketball. The only coach out there who has done that is Deion Sanders. Think about the logistics of what you are suggesting. You replace 3rd & 4th string if possible not starters.

Reactions: xJUCOcoach
We shouldn't and won't replace the entire defense. You don't replace the entire team, like we did in basketball. The only coach out there who has done that is Deion Sanders. Think about the logistics of what you are suggesting. You replace 3rd & 4th string if possible not starters.
Not every single piece , but it definitely needs a major overhaul , we were horrific on defense

Did Schumann play at all this year? You've got to wonder if these kids knew they were RS'ing coming in and still feel it best they leave? Was Schumann going to get any time next year?

Did Schumann play at all this year? You've got to wonder if these kids knew they were RS'ing coming in and still feel it best they leave? Was Schumann going to get any time next year?
Highly doubtful with the recruits Wilson has coming in thus far.

Dang, I think

Jayden Simon
@SimonJaymoney
·
58m

Forever grateful Tulsa #ReignCane

Simon must have been injured for much of the year. The DT rotation was so shallow at the end of the year, he would have played if able. Simon started early, but Rogers beat him out.

Simon was one of many players who just mysteriously disappeared, probably due to injury. I like Simon. I thought he could play. But obviously, the coaching staff wasn't that enthralled, or he would be staying. I think that is the case with all who have gone into the portal so far.

I'm sure there will be a few who you wish would stay, but not many. Good luck to all. Hope they get the playing time they weren't getting at TU.

Without mentioning any names, I think an obvious one coming up is one who liked Rempert's tweet about transferring, and commented on it. Don't wish that, but it is obvious. Injured, playing time wasn't there, etc. That will be the theme of most transfers.

TU has plenty of guys who can play, and who got playing time. But major talent infusion is needed.

Most haven't. Wilson never mentioned him.
All those freshman wr that Wilson kept of Montgomery's recruits, even though there was too many of them in the '23 class, were never mentioned this year. I imagine most of them, if not all, will go.(Hughes, Ogunrin, & Smith currently remain) Only Mari Smith was highly rated.

Simon must have been injured for much of the year. The DT rotation was so shallow at the end of the year, he would have played if able. Simon started early, but Rogers beat him out.

Simon was one of many players who just mysteriously disappeared, probably due to injury. I like Simon. I thought he could play. But obviously, the coaching staff wasn't that enthralled, or he would be staying. I think that is the case with all who have gone into the portal so far.

I'm sure there will be a few who you wish would stay, but not many. Good luck to all. Hope they get the playing time they weren't getting at TU.

Without mentioning any names, I think an obvious one coming up is one who liked Rempert's tweet about transferring, and commented on it. Don't wish that, but it is obvious. Injured, playing time wasn't there, etc. That will be the theme of most transfers.

TU has plenty of guys who can play, and who got playing time. But major talent infusion is needed.
Sometimes it might be better if we didn't all see the sausage making...

I'm ok with most of our defensive players leaving, honestly. Our defense was atrocious.
As long as we can replace them.

I really think that the place you can start to improve your team these days is with HS recruits. I don’t think teams are paying quite as close attention as they used to. More kids are slipping through the cracks in favor of portal kids. I’m seeing Ty Archie on the basketball team as a prime example.

We’ve always been a program that does well identifying diamonds in the rough and I think there are probably more of them available (or under recruited) now than there ever have been.

Most of the guys in the portal are guys who aren't getting playing time, like above. It is a good decision for most of them. The only ones who may regret it are usually guys like Oliver and Rogers who may not like the playing time they get at their new schools. Like Jaxon Player. The latter lose out on a chance to be guys who will be remembered as fondly as possible by the alums and fan base. Connections count. Burning bridges usually isn't wise. Especially some who I haven't mentioned who are really obnoxious about it, like some have been in the past.

The constant transferring is nuts. I wouldn't like to do it. The coach, playing situation, fit, school, and location to home all go into the decision, and playing time all go into it. I am tired of hearing older people say you should play it out. Yeah, whatever. You only have four years. It is wild how many people immediately jump into it, though. I wouldn't have thought it would be so many every year.

The constant transferring is nuts. I wouldn't like to do it. The coach, playing situation, fit, school, and location to home all go into the decision, and playing time all go into it. I am tired of hearing older people say you should play it out. Yeah, whatever. You only have four years. It is wild how many people immediately jump into it, though. I wouldn't have thought it would be so many every year.
I get kids who are probably not going to play significant snaps. Rogers probably plays 50-60% of the snaps at DT next year easily. He's probably chasing NIL which sucks. And he should look at Jaxon's situation b/c, IMO, Jaxon played himself out of an NFL opportunity. Hard to impress people playing 10 snaps a game and not having an impact on those snaps. Staying here, he probably gets 7-10 sacks, is an impact player playing 75% of the snaps (or more) and gets eyeballs on him actually playing.

I'm hoping we can find some kids ready to play out of HS. Problem is, after 2 years and the time to develop them into bona fide college players, they're going to go searching for that payday at a parent club paying big NIL. At some point, a highly influential Congressman connected to one of the P5 private schools that's going to get left out of the super league is going to start the process to end all this BS between unlimited NIL (salaries), free agency, etc. The schools left out are waiting to file the antitrust suit and then everything comes crumbling down b/c not only will those schools be named, but the cash cows at the networks will be named and the last thing they want to do is payout BILLIONS to make the little guys go away and not get something in return.

The only ones who may regret it are usually guys like Oliver and Rogers who may not like the playing time they get at their new schools.
Somebody please correct me, but I believe Oliver is a graduate transfer, so maybe he’s looking for a grad degree in a field TU doesn’t offer.

Reactions: TulsaAM
I get kids who are probably not going to play significant snaps. Rogers probably plays 50-60% of the snaps at DT next year easily. He's probably chasing NIL which sucks. And he should look at Jaxon's situation b/c, IMO, Jaxon played himself out of an NFL opportunity. Hard to impress people playing 10 snaps a game and not having an impact on those snaps. Staying here, he probably gets 7-10 sacks, is an impact player playing 75% of the snaps (or more) and gets eyeballs on him actually playing.

I'm hoping we can find some kids ready to play out of HS. Problem is, after 2 years and the time to develop them into bona fide college players, they're going to go searching for that payday at a parent club paying big NIL. At some point, a highly influential Congressman connected to one of the P5 private schools that's going to get left out of the super league is going to start the process to end all this BS between unlimited NIL (salaries), free agency, etc. The schools left out are waiting to file the antitrust suit and then everything comes crumbling down b/c not only will those schools be named, but the cash cows at the networks will be named and the last thing they want to do is payout BILLIONS to make the little guys go away and not get something in return.
Very difficult to find O and D linemen who can play straight out of high school. Trying to replace 22 year old linemen with 18 year old kids is problematic. We will need to fill these holes in the portal imo.

I wouldnt be able to do it as a player. It would make my anxiety sky rocket...Have to learn a new campus, new friends, learn a new city, move to another state, learn where restaurants/clubs/bars are... I can't imagine doing that every year.

Last edited:
Somebody please correct me, but I believe Oliver is a graduate transfer, so maybe he’s looking for a grad degree in a field TU doesn’t offer.
That could be, but I've always found kids use that as an excuse to leave. I don't know of one transfer who really took that seriously. I'm not criticizing him when I say, if he wanted to stay, he would have stayed.

I wouldnt be able to do it as a player. It would my anxiety sky rocket...Have to learn a new campus, new friends, learn a new city, move to another state, learn where restaurants/clubs/bars are... I can't imagine doing that every year.
There's something to be said for being a TU person, having loyalty to one school, etc. Again, I get it if a guy isn't going to play. Everyone wants to play. Go get an opportunity to play, especially when it is apparent it isn't happening at your school. But it is usually better to stay if you are going to play unless someone offers a ridiculous NIL offer that will set you up for a long time. I doubt TU transfers will get that type of offer.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Which is sort of a fallacy b/c TU has always been a place where you could sort of piece together your own master's program if you wanted an off the beaten path degree as long as their were professors who could mentor and guide your studies and research.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT