ADVERTISEMENT

Football Players Entering Portal

Very difficult to find O and D linemen who can play straight out of high school. Trying to replace 22 year old linemen with 18 year old kids is problematic. We will need to fill these holes in the portal imo.
I get it but as Rhule said, there's a going rate for all these positions and I don't think TU is quite there for difference making OL and DL. And the DL guys are harder than the OL mostly because teams carry 5-8 DL (not including DEs)and usually 12-18 OL. There will be a lot more antsy OL guys wanting to find an immediate opportunity to play than DL guys and the DL guys want premium $ to move to another situation or they weren't good enough to play.

I do like the OL guys we've already offered in the portal. Many of them probably weren't FBS out of HS and went to nerdy FCS schools and now might be developed and good enough to play FBS and would fit in nicely with what Wilson's trying to do.

I get kids who are probably not going to play significant snaps. Rogers probably plays 50-60% of the snaps at DT next year easily. He's probably chasing NIL which sucks. And he should look at Jaxon's situation b/c, IMO, Jaxon played himself out of an NFL opportunity. Hard to impress people playing 10 snaps a game and not having an impact on those snaps. Staying here, he probably gets 7-10 sacks, is an impact player playing 75% of the snaps (or more) and gets eyeballs on him actually playing.

I'm hoping we can find some kids ready to play out of HS. Problem is, after 2 years and the time to develop them into bona fide college players, they're going to go searching for that payday at a parent club paying big NIL. At some point, a highly influential Congressman connected to one of the P5 private schools that's going to get left out of the super league is going to start the process to end all this BS between unlimited NIL (salaries), free agency, etc. The schools left out are waiting to file the antitrust suit and then everything comes crumbling down b/c not only will those schools be named, but the cash cows at the networks will be named and the last thing they want to do is payout BILLIONS to make the little guys go away and not get something in return.
And this is why it was a bad idea. More than half the schools shouldnleave the NCAA and form up something else. This is semi-pro football now and it will be impossible for schools like Tulsa to be competitive.

As long as we can replace them.

I really think that the place you can start to improve your team these days is with HS recruits. I don’t think teams are paying quite as close attention as they used to. More kids are slipping through the cracks in favor of portal kids. I’m seeing Ty Archie on the basketball team as a prime example.

We’ve always been a program that does well identifying diamonds in the rough and I think there are probably more of them available (or under recruited) now than there ever have been.
The challenge is going to be keeping the Ty Archies beyond their freshman year.

What Tulsa needs is a good weight program and develop players so they will have opportunities to make it to the NFL. When coaches chasing 3 star and 5 star players they will leave if not given a chase to play.

Reactions: xJUCOcoach
Which is sort of a fallacy b/c TU has always been a place where you could sort of piece together your own master's program if you wanted an off the beaten path degree as long as their were professors who could mentor and guide your studies and research.
Except you don't necessarily get the professors offering grad classes at a high level when you do that. At cause we don't have those professors here. So for some things it is not as important, but for other Masters courses, you lose out on that. It depends on the field you are going into. If it is liberal arts maybe, if it is engineering, computer science, etc it may make you degree less than if you had gone to a school that had that Masters as a regular program. A good example might be a specialized program in robotics.

Somebody please correct me, but I believe Oliver is a graduate transfer, so maybe he’s looking for a grad degree in a field TU doesn’t offer.
I'm guessing that might be the case for Hayden Simon too. He was at Colorado for 3 years, and Tulsa for 2. If he is not ready for a Grad program in that time, then something is wrong. When you are a redshirt junior, a grad program is usually on the agenda.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
And this is why it was a bad idea. More than half the schools shouldnleave the NCAA and form up something else. This is semi-pro football now and it will be impossible for schools like Tulsa to be competitive.
If Tulane can be competitive, surely we still have a shot in this pathetic conference we're in.
It really is turning into semi-pro football now... G5 teams are going the way of ol' Yeller and fast.

What Tulsa needs is a good weight program and develop players so they will have opportunities to make it to the NFL. When coaches chasing 3 star and 5 star players they will leave if not given a chase to play.
In my opinion, Tulsa has the best strength and conditioning staff and facilities in the G5. We have work to do on the training table and some frills, but our development program is unmatched in the G5 and surpasses many P5s. Every opportunity to grow into a pro player is provided to today’s recruits interested in TU. It’s on them to take advantage of our strength program. Some, like Zaven and Chambo grab the golden ticket. Others, for a variety of reasons, don’t. It’s not like your playing days in that dank room in Mabee gym. If you met our strength coaches, you’d be blown away and even more confused why we aren’t seeing greater success. We simply need to recruit kids that have the core competencies to play. And we had a staff unable to do that for almost a decade. Those days are over. (?)

Last edited:
I'm guessing that might be the case for Hayden Simon too. He was at Colorado for 3 years, and Tulsa for 2. If he is not ready for a Grad program in that time, then something is wrong. When you are a redshirt junior, a grad program is usually on the agenda.
If Oliver is frustrated at the TU curriculum, he didn’t state that in his Twitter message. What I read was that he was grateful for his opportunities and team mates and was ready to move on. It reads like a young man ready to test himself and provide for himself and his family.

If I were him, I certainly would struggle with the decision. Staying here knowing I would play but wondering, perhaps for the rest of my life, if I was good enough to make it at Baylor or grade out at an A level against Alabama. When/If the NFL invites don’t come, it’s the player alone that has to deal with the what if’s and I should haves.

Throw $60,000 to $100,000 into the mix and whether they can get a master’s degree doesn’t really enter into it.

The one exception might be Brin. He was an honors graduate student with a year left who achieved pretty much everything the Collins College of Business can offer you.

If he stayed, you could almost argue that it’s a misuse of federal educational funding for him to be taking 9 hours of classes that wouldn’t lead to a meaningful degree with the eligibility he has remaining and it dilutes funding for female athletes who don’t have substantially similar NIL opportunities. Oh wait, that sounds like something Congress might be looking at.

Chase Meyer hit the portal.

He just transferred here before 2023 season.
It's the Wild Wild West in college football and basketball.
Maybe the NFL, NBA and MLB should have one year contracts for players and coaches. That would be entertaining.

Last edited:
He just transferred here before 2023 season.
It's the Wild Wild West in college football and basketball.
Maybe the NFL, NBA and MLB have one year contract for players and coaches. That would be entertaining.
One semester!!!

There must be an element with some guys of "I have worked harder than ever in my life this season for what? For an even worse record?"

I would feel that way in their shoes.

There must be an element with some guys of "I have worked harder than ever in my life this season for what? For an even worse record?"

I would feel that way in their shoes.
I think it's always hard to read the dynamic from outside but with the change from Monty to KW, I suspect it's even harder this year. Probably a lot of guys who have been told or strongly indicated that they should move on, those guys have friends, some guys maybe don't like KW's style/approach, who knows? I think we'll miss guessing on the reason for most.

Yeah, these dipshats will be lucky if they get a free washer and dryer, including both idiot kickers.

To all the former TU players currently in the portal, thanks for the memories! Because I won’t remember your names two weeks from now.
When you go 4-8, pretty much be definition nobody is irreplaceable.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Yeah, these dipshats will be lucky if they get a free washer and dryer, including both idiot kickers.

To all the former TU players currently in the portal, thanks for the memories! Because I won’t remember your names two weeks from now.

I imagine Bryan, the kicker was told he wouldn't be offered a scholarship and not guaranteed he would be kicking for us in games next year/encouraged to move on. What the deal is with Meyer, I don't know.

Agree we need the depth , but honestly , we need better then both of them
Why are you trashing every single player we have on defense?

Next thing you'll be getting on Ostroski.

I would love to have Rogers and Simon here, playing 2nd or 3rd string. They are as good or better than Wilson will bring in at 2nd or 3rd string. Add to, not replace players of their caliber.

Why are you trashing every single player we have on defense?

Next thing you'll be getting on Ostroski.

I would love to have Rogers and Simon here, playing 2nd or 3rd string. They are as good or better than Wilson will bring in at 2nd or 3rd string. Add to, not replace players of their caliber.
Because we sucked on defense … if we keep that quality of player on the line , we will continue to do poorly , ECU was one of the worst offenses in the country and they had more points at half then what they averaged the whole year.
PS - never said anything about Owen , I think he is pretty decent , but he can’t do it by himself

Because we sucked on defense … if we keep that quality of player on the line , we will continue to do poorly , ECU was one of the worst offenses in the country and they had more points at half then what they averaged the whole year.
PS - never said anything about Owen , I think he is pretty decent , but he can’t do it by himself
Our defensive line wasn’t the problem with our defense. It was our secondary. That thing was absolute garbage

Because our defense sucked is not a reason to trash every single player that transfers out. Be a little more discriminate, and look at players as individuals. I'm guessing that Wilson was not happy or encouraging when Oliver, Rogers, and Simon said they wanted to transfer out. The rest, yeah. He probably encouraged them. Done talking bout this.

He was our leading tackler. SMH He will probably get a shot at an NFL tryout, scout team.
I hope he does and I would argue he was probably the best one back there but how many times did they get worked? It was almost as painful as watching basketball last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: chito_and_leon
Sometimes you have to crack some eggs to make an omelette, and a rising tide lifts all ships, etc. The theory seems to be that a new approach under KW will be more successful than the approach under Monty. So losing a few guys we would like to keep will be more than offset by the guys who, in total, replace the leavers. We'll see if it happens but I'm sure some guys we would like to stay won't like KW's style, or will be upset at how their friends were treated or whatever. But hopefully the overall improvement in the team from KW's approach will make up for their loss. Fingers crossed but I don't think we can cry over individuals without waiting to see the big picture.

Reactions: TULSARISING
He was our leading tackler. SMH He will probably get a shot at an NFL tryout, scout team.
You told me you were done talking about this , I never was talking to you to begin with anyway , you are more then welcome to your opinion as I am. If someone in the secondary is out leading tackler , that’s reason for alarm . The whole defense needs rebooted , I’m not saying every single player that played defense sucks , I’m saying there wasn’t anybody there that is going to be a “ big hit “ from us not having

Reactions: dlsnid
Maybe Kyle McCord will get in touch with his former OC.

If not, Dillon Gabriel is also available.

So these second portal transfer folks like Meyer and Gabriel are willing to sit out a year?

If someone in the secondary is out leading tackler , that’s reason for alarm .
That's a point I was very aware of, and thought about making a part of the conversation. The reason I didn't bring that into my comment was because it would have made the conversation much more complex. It would have required a much longer discussion that I really didn't desire to get into with that comment. It would have been a distraction unrelated to the purpose of the comment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT