ADVERTISEMENT

Football Players Entering Portal

Yeah, that doesn't make sense that the DE flip would be the one. So, when do we hear who it was? Since it's someone who hasn't signed an LOI yet because they can't mention his name within the rules, and transfers typically let it be known where they're going, maybe it's the TE flip from Oregon.

Or maybe Wilson and Co. nabbed a big time QB transfer from maybe Miss St? Or the starter from Ohio St.? If it's the starter from Ohio St. I'll learn how to do a backflip and have it videotaped
I'd join you, but will need some of the big boys to throw me and the ambulance near by to take me to the hospital, but it would be worth it. I tend to mend pretty well...

If it’s Malik Murphy the QB from Texas that would be amazing and a huge shot in the arm. But again, not “historic” since Kinne was on the roster at Texas and buried between two future NFL starters when he signed with his father’s former roommate Todd Graham.

Reactions: drboobay
I'm surprised we haven't had a TE enter the portal considering we now have six including the recruit.

I beg to differ.

On false positive does not disprove a probabilistic prediction.
Agree. It is proven that schools with highly rated recruiting classes historically perform better than schools with poorly ranked classes. There are exceptions of course but it has been a pretty good indicator. All that may now change with the portal.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Agree. It is proven that schools with highly rated recruiting classes historically perform better than schools with poorly ranked classes. There are exceptions of course but it has been a pretty good indicator. All that may now change with the portal.
The subset is limited, but you can logically infer that the more Gary Beshears and Jerome Janets there are transferring, the less likely that Tulsa’s star ratings can accurately capture the potential of a recruiting class. This reasoning would not be supported amongst the Top 15 schools high school signees who will be carefully evaluated due to monetary investment and quickly weeded out and replaced with up transfers. They will always have busts, outliers, hypes, and guys who are just lazy or homesick, so over time, the rating predictions for them will account for that on a comparative basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaAM
It's not Williams' that's for sure...he may be competing for it but he's not ahead of Francis at all.
I think they’re even.

The problems for Williams were Wilson’s starting Braxton over and over then injuries. Having two healthy and capable quarterbacks already on the roster is not a bad thing.

Reactions: loca2874
The position is open. Braxton wanted to know if he was the starter, and KW Wilson said it was open. Braxton was shown the door.
I don't think Braxton had any chance of starting for us next season. I think it's Francis' job to keep but Cardell will compete.

Cardell is not close to Francis. Francis is able to throw and read quickly. Cardell does not have that talent.
Agreed. Kirk reminds me of Paul Smith and seemingly has that IT factor. He will be the starter and it would be a mistake if he's not.

I'll go ahead and predict its somebody we sign as a transfer out of spring ball. They clearly think Francis can play and start. He wouldn't be elevated into a scholarship position if he wasn't a viable option. We need depth in the room. They will go and find it with a grad transfer and 2025 signing, iyam. That doesn't mean that Francis or Williams can't start out at QB1 and hold the job, it just means they will continue to pursue the best players possible to give us the greatest depth.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Francis throw for 5,000 just to hear Gundy equivocate on why he didn't recruit him.

I'll go ahead and predict its somebody we sign as a transfer out of spring ball. They clearly think Francis can play and start. He wouldn't be elevated into a scholarship position if he wasn't a viable option. We need depth in the room. They will go and find it with a grad transfer and 2025 signing, iyam. That doesn't mean that Francis or Williams can't start out at QB1 and hold the job, it just means they will continue to pursue the best players possible to give us the greatest depth.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Francis throw for 5,000 just to hear Gundy equivocate on why he didn't recruit him.
I would like to see him beat Gundy next season as well

Reactions: loca2874
Per KW's press conference they're looking to sign a 2024 HS QB and with Braxton leaving will be exploring portal QBs. He wants to have 4 QBs on the roster.

Officially the job is wide open, per KW since we went 4-8 nobody is guaranteed a starting spot. That said, unless a stud transfer comes in, I think Francis will be QB1.

Waiting to be settled when we get our 3rd and maybe our 4th QB. Depending on who we get, the conversation changes.

Per KW's press conference they're looking to sign a 2024 HS QB and with Braxton leaving will be exploring portal QBs. He wants to have 4 QBs on the roster.

Officially the job is wide open, per KW since we went 4-8 nobody is guaranteed a starting spot. That said, unless a stud transfer comes in, I think Francis will be QB1.
Instead of listening, some posters make @cmullinsTU & @HuffyCane grind it in their brain. If you all listened to the presser this wouldn't be an issue. It is worth your time.

Agreed. Kirk reminds me of Paul Smith and seemingly has that IT factor. He will be the starter and it would be a mistake if he's not.
Cardell is not close to Francis. Francis is able to throw and read quickly. Cardell does not have that talent.
I’m beginning to think you are the same person.

So Cardell has superior athleticism amongst the QBs. Francis has much better mechanics in his throwing. And just from watching games this year and comparing the two, I'm thinking Francis might have the superior football IQ. He sees the field better and makes better decisions with the ball, IMO. Cardell is going to extend plays and he's dangerous when he does. But he couples that with poor technique throwing on the run and not resulted in some WTF passes where he threw a ball into the ground or overthrew his receiver by 15 feet. I said it during the season, Francis can make every throw and he has above avg. arm strength.

How about we don’t all declare who we want for next year and put a bunch of undue pressure on the coaching staff?

I don’t care who starts as long as they are able to win games. I don’t care if Wilson decides to take the kicker and teach him how to throw a fade route if it means winning games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT