ADVERTISEMENT

EPL vs. Budesliga & USMNT Implications

Right on the $, Bla! We knew Panama on the road would be a lot tougher than Honduras, not to mention all the guys out. Arena goes with Villafana, Gonzalez & Ream on the back line, while Besler & Beasley rode the bench. I just don't get it. UGH! Don't hurt yourself too bad Huffy, but Germaine Jones was pitiful. Stupid fouls & a lot of chasing. Speaking of stupid fouls, Zuzi was pathetic. His foul over the back while chasing the ball led to Panama's only goal. His passes were mostly out of bounds or to Panamanians & he can't cover anyone one on one.

Altidore did nothing & looked really tired & slow. Bedoya got subbed in late & should have started. Thank goodness for Dempsey, Pulisic & Howard to get us a point. After 5 minutes in, I figured we were beat

Pulisic was brilliant again. Zusi never needs to play right back again. Ream was pretty terrible and that was compounded every time Villafana decided to pinch in and leave Ream hanging on a run on the outside. The inability to clear crosses and throws across the middle of the box gave me angina all night. Bradley again refused to hit a pass with any pace...it's one thing if you're putting the ball into space for someone to run onto, another if you're making a pass to the feet. Altidore looked tired as did Dempsey. Nagbe was effective but I feel he gives the ball up to quickly and easily when he is in space. I've come to the conclusion Jermaine Jones is a dirty player and he didn't do much to help the team last night. I think I'd rather see Bedoya start with Jones off the bench. US really needs Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, and Bobby Wood back.

Altidore is just a lazy player but has tremendous love from weird places. I don't get it.

What is it with not all USMNT games being shown on ESPN or FS1 regardless of where they are being played?
Each national federation controls the rights to broadcast the games that are played inside their nation. This is done to prevent the US and Mexico from having to share profits with the tiny federations like St. Kitts when the US and Mex would get nothing in return.

In response to this, many nations, most notably Honduras and Costa Rica, have demanded exorbitant fees for English language broadcasts back to the USA for the games in their countries from companies like ESPN and Fox.

This led to a series of WC cycles where the away gams were unavailable or only available on standard def closed circuit TV at ridiculous prices. I think I paid $49 to watch the 2010 Honduras game.

Two years ago, Telemundo bought up the rights to all of them under the idea that they would be Spanish broadcast only. However, they soon discovered what ESPN Deportes already knew - the only games profitable enough to justify the expense of production were the games involving Mexico away.

So they sold the games they didn't want to Arab oil money rich Bein Sports who were willing to eat the loss of showing USA games in exchange for you calling your cable provider and complaining you don't have Bein Sports. Costa Rica and Honduras were livid btw for being undercut.

In the meantime, streaming TV, especially through Direct TV, has taken a bigger market share and the Bein gamble to force a bigger market is probably over after this cycle.

We will probably see closed circuit again in the 2022 cycle via streaming.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It's funny how perception works. And how the sports media writes fiction.

If a second string wide receiver switches to starting cornerback because all the corners are hurt and he doesn't give up a touchdown, only one or two penalties, and the other team isn't successful exploiting his lack of experience all game long at the expense of perhaps attacking elsewhere, the guy is a hero. In soccer, the guy is horrible.

Zusi is either the 5th or 7th choice at RB depending on who you ask. He was the best we had. He rose to the occasion. Had he played worse or it had been someone else, we would not have gotten the point.

He's not the answer at RB. He does however deserve a lot of the credit for the USA staying in the WC hunt.

It's funny how perception works. And how the sports media writes fiction.

If a second string wide receiver switches to starting cornerback because all the corners are hurt and he doesn't give up a touchdown, only one or two penalties, and the other team isn't successful exploiting his lack of experience all game long at the expense of perhaps attacking elsewhere, the guy is a hero. In soccer, the guy is horrible.

Zusi is either the 5th or 7th choice at RB depending on who you ask. He was the best we had. He rose to the occasion. Had he played worse or it had been someone else, we would not have gotten the point.

He's not the answer at RB. He does however deserve a lot of the credit for the USA staying in the WC hunt.
I will disagree. He and Ream were the primary reasons there were so many good quality chances against the US in that game. He was routinely beaten 1v1 on plays a simple contain should have kept the danger away. Instead it forced Cameron to slide more than he should have to contain the threat and Ream didn't follow leaving wide open gaps at the top of the 18. I was reading Zusi wanted to be moved to an outside back as it was a more natural position for him. I'd feel better with Beasley back there. Of course when Yedlin gets back it's a moot point.

Pusilic will be viewed as THE player of his generation if he keeps on the current trajectory. He was golden playing in the center of the midfield on Saturday and our ball movement was much better with him in that spot. I know it is tough to sit Jones or Bradley if they are available but the USA will not reach its potential without Pusilic developing in the central midfield.

The US defense looked very vulnerable last night and would have given up more goals against more efficient opposition. The team looked much stronger with Brooks and Cameron on the field last weekend.

Eddie Johnson scored 7 goals in his first 6 games for the USA, was soon playing in Europe in top form, and was the savior of American soccer who was going to revolutionize the game and be the catalyst for depriving the NFL and NBA of the young black talent pool upon which both depend.

2 years later, he was hurt and out of contract. 4 years on, he was the scourge of the locker room and had to work his way back on when the USA literally had no one else to turn to.

His story is not unique. Adu, Quaranta, Altidore, Bradley, Bobby freaking Convey, even to a lesser extent, Tulsa's own Joe-Max Moore. Zardes at 16 was seen as a sure thing in Europe until he had some issues and ended up at Cal State and they still said he had "mad skillz" who would be our savior. (And he did have a heckuva a highlight tape).

Pulisic has had some advantages and achievements those guys have not, most notably a set of parents with a familiarity for pro soccer and reality, but he isn't carrying the cargo of the USA hype train yet imho.

When we see German media singling him out for praise and he is a regular selection for a complete season, I'll say some of the talk is justified. Right now,

Maybe it's just 30 years of watching CONCACAF qualifiers tainting my view, but I saw a kid who made us forget a dozen turnovers with flashes of brilliance against Honduras. The 6-0 result hekped.

In Panama, he was undersized even against Central American competition. He is still a boy routinely shaped and pushed off the ball and had to resort to fouling to keep or regain possession. The quickness and speed is impressive, but that's only one move and once recognized is worthless when he is lying on the ground spitting up the pitch.

The goal set up was impressive, but there are plenty of refs in Italy or WC Final games (fairly or unfairly) who would have blown that play dead.

He is fun to watch and that is the point of the game -- to enjoy it and not view every contest as a referendum on the adequacy or failures of the American game vs Europe. So for now I view Pulisic through patient eyes, don't expect much now, because he hasn't delivered it consistently, and don't expect much later because so many before have had similar hype and disappeared.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Crap, I forgot about Zardes too. He also makes the US a much better squad. Wonder if he'd play outside right MF (usually on the left) and keeping Nagbe on the left. Or if Nagbe can go to the right side. What I have always liked about Zardes is his ability to play the full 120 yards, make a tackle on one end and then make an 80 yard run with pace. Bedoya and Jones don't give you that.

Keep forgetting all of the injuries the USMNT had to work around this segment. If they can get to the June games with full health, there's a lot to work with and probably the best 11 they've run out in 3-4 years.

Crap, I forgot about Zardes too. He also makes the US a much better squad. Wonder if he'd play outside right MF (usually on the left) and keeping Nagbe on the left. Or if Nagbe can go to the right side. What I have always liked about Zardes is his ability to play the full 120 yards, make a tackle on one end and then make an 80 yard run with pace. Bedoya and Jones don't give you that.

Keep forgetting all of the injuries the USMNT had to work around this segment. If they can get to the June games with full health, there's a lot to work with and probably the best 11 they've run out in 3-4 years.
Not sure why you love zardes so much. Bruce will probably show him love since he played on the galaxy just like he does Omar Gonzalez.

Eddie Johnson scored 7 goals in his first 6 games for the USA, was soon playing in Europe in top form, and was the savior of American soccer who was going to revolutionize the game and be the catalyst for depriving the NFL and NBA of the young black talent pool upon which both depend.

2 years later, he was hurt and out of contract. 4 years on, he was the scourge of the locker room and had to work his way back on when the USA literally had no one else to turn to.

His story is not unique. Adu, Quaranta, Altidore, Bradley, Bobby freaking Convey, even to a lesser extent, Tulsa's own Joe-Max Moore. Zardes at 16 was seen as a sure thing in Europe until he had some issues and ended up at Cal State and they still said he had "mad skillz" who would be our savior. (And he did have a heckuva a highlight tape).

Pulisic has had some advantages and achievements those guys have not, most notably a set of parents with a familiarity for pro soccer and reality, but he isn't carrying the cargo of the USA hype train yet imho.

When we see German media singling him out for praise and he is a regular selection for a complete season, I'll say some of the talk is justified. Right now,

Maybe it's just 30 years of watching CONCACAF qualifiers tainting my view, but I saw a kid who made us forget a dozen turnovers with flashes of brilliance against Honduras. The 6-0 result hekped.

In Panama, he was undersized even against Central American competition. He is still a boy routinely shaped and pushed off the ball and had to resort to fouling to keep or regain possession. The quickness and speed is impressive, but that's only one move and once recognized is worthless when he is lying on the ground spitting up the pitch.

The goal set up was impressive, but there are plenty of refs in Italy or WC Final games (fairly or unfairly) who would have blown that play dead.

He is fun to watch and that is the point of the game -- to enjoy it and not view every contest as a referendum on the adequacy or failures of the American game vs Europe. So for now I view Pulisic through patient eyes, don't expect much now, because he hasn't delivered it consistently, and don't expect much later because so many before have had similar hype and disappeared.
That takes the fun out of it.

No guarantee he will continue to develop and stay injury free, but his skill set is further along than Donovan at that age. He has good vision, he is very skilled on the ball, and demonstrates toughness when challenged by bigger players. So I think he has tremendous potential. Would like to see him in the center of the midfield alongside Bradley for a string of matches.

Not sure why you love zardes so much. Bruce will probably show him love since he played on the galaxy just like he does Omar Gonzalez.
He's fast and has proven himself a 2 way player with tons of skill. He puts a lot of pressure on defenders and can create space with his pace.

So it seems to me like having a group of Johanssen, Zardes, Yedlin, Brooks, Wood, and Johnson to pick from would greatly improve our starting group going into the WC next year. (I know we still have to qualify)

I like the addition of Pulisic as a winger. We've desperately needed someone who can finish (or help others finish) besides Dempsey.

Both Nagbe and Zardes are both physically capable of playing both sides. However at the club level, Nagbe scores and runs more effectively on the left and Zardes on the right.

But .... Nagbe is not first choice on the left when Johnson is healthy and the right is Lleget's to lose at this point I would think.

I think the goal in Panama was on Tim Reem. Homeboy turned his back on the corner. That was some U13 crap right there.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yeah. Ream has to eat the dog poop on that one. There were three men on the ball and none of them made a play on it. But he was the biggest of them and has no business letting a ball touch the ground off a cross like that.

That said, John Brooks started a game for his club this week. So his sinuses must be just fine. Lol. Somebody didn't want to play in the heat. Which tells me why Timmy Chandler wasn't there either. Lichaj has previously made similar comments about not wanting to play on turf or in the heat. I don't have a lot of patience for the players who have not spent at least some time in MLS early in their careers at this point.

Head over to espn fc to hear the Max Bretos and Herculez Gomez interview with Jermaine Jones. Jones runs his mouth. Its pretty much a sure bet he wont be back. I for one think there are at least 7 players I would rather have in that position playing his role and another 3 or 4 that I would be comfortable seeing in that position with a slightly different role. Jones can get on TV and say he is the best the US has, but if you have to say that, we all know that isn't true.

I think the goal in Panama was on Tim Reem. Homeboy turned his back on the corner. That was some U13 crap right there.
Ream, but mostly Zuzi. He gets beat in our end,chases then crawls up the guys back. One free kick & a throw in later, it's tied. Took about 30 seconds.

Cool! Booked my ticket to the qualifier in Mexico today!

On the train to Augsburg to hopefully see Christian play right now.
I just don't get Tommy Tuchel! Christian Pulisic sometimes starts but NEVER in a big game. Seems like he's always subbed when it's late & result is usually set.

I just don't get Tommy Tuchel! Christian Pulisic sometimes starts but NEVER in a big game. Seems like he's always subbed when it's late & result is usually set.
It's weird the way he is used. I saw a Borussia game about a month ago and Pulisic played the whole game but Ayedebong (sp?) subbed on late. When he came on and he and Pulisic were out there together, Borussia looked like one of the best attacking clubs in the world. Why you wouldn't have Pulisic in there at attacking mid with Ayedebong at striker is beyond me but the attack was so good, the other team could never get possession or get the ball out of their end.

Cool! Booked my ticket to the qualifier in Mexico today!

Hello from Venice! I will be at the qualifier in Denver. I will post pictures from the game sometime. It was a great experience. The Dortmund fans went nuts all game. I have added a home game there to my bucket list. Both teams fans were a great time and they were surprised to see Americans in Augsburg.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Nice overall effort by the US tonight. The striker (Jones) from T&T is a beast. Pulisic was brilliant as usual. Nagbe played better than I anticipated. Good to see Yedlin back. Felt pretty comfortable with Cameron and Brooks controlling the central part of the field. Most of T&Ts threats developed from outside plays and after the US began sitting back a little bit rather than trying to attack and force T&T to retreat on defense.

The T&T keeper was pretty good otherwise this could have ended 4 or 5 to nil.

I want to see more Bobby Wood with Altidore against Mexico and drop Pulisic into an attacking MF role. Those 3 together can put so much pressure on Mexico (Mexico's D has shown some big holes against Honduras who has been unable to capitalize). The US should also request Jamaican referees for the game. Anytime we end up with Spanish speaking CONCACAF refs against Mexico we get screwed.

It seemed like the first half was full of the team trying to be too "cute" with some of the touch passes they were trying to make. They were all trying to play behind the back through balls. Fabian Johnson had a pretty subpar game in my opinion. Bradley had a sneaky good game defensively. Pulisic was the boy wonder again. Dempsey is really showing his age. Overall, a satisfying game; although, I would have loved to see them go for a Pulisic hat trick. This kid has a hype machine behind him that's only going to get larger in years to come... and it should be a great thing for American soccer.

Once again young Pulisic's brilliance bails us out. Altidore played ok but he drives me crazy with his "look at me, I'm world class" passes in the area. 3 times his no-look, back heel passes go nowhere & we lose possession.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Once again young Pulisic's brilliance bails us out. Altidore played ok but he drives me crazy with his "look at me, I'm world class" passes in the area. 3 times his no-look, back heel passes go nowhere & we lose possession.

I'm good with those 3 times if it comes with this 1 time:

Hoping to see some video from Huffy. The last time he went to Mexico, their fans didn't seem all that enthused about his being there.

I have to eat some crow here. I've been a big proponent of no Bradley on the national team but he played better last night than he has in years. I hope he can keep it up and we get to watch the boys play in Russia next summer.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I have to eat some crow here. I've been a big proponent of no Bradley on the national team but he played better last night than he has in years. I hope he can keep it up and we get to watch the boys play in Russia next summer.
He played pretty well in the T&T game too. There was a possession in that game where one of the back 4 made an attacking run and Bradley had to slide into that slot on the counter. He did it relatively seamlessly. It impressed me quite a bit.

I have never been a Bradley hater. He has been the best passer on the team for quite some time. I would like us to try out things without him in the line-up.

I have never been a Bradley hater. He has been the best passer on the team for quite some time. I would like us to try out things without him in the line-up.
I would question this. He has the best vision, yes (outside of Pulisic now), but he frequently misses on some passes because the weight just isn't right...and it's not close. Many times it's a matter of him not hitting the pass with enough pace and getting intercepted and leading to a quick counter. Even at U11, coaches want kids to hit hard passes. If your teammate can't run onto it, it goes out of bounds. You hit it too light and it is going the other way...in a hurry.

Watching the US' B-team through most of the Gold Cup. Not a fan of Lichaj (despite the goal) or Hedges. Really like Paul Arriola on the right side. He shows great creativity, high motor, and he has a really deft touch.

Still out in Acosta. He makes some dumb mistakes with the ball (he is still relatively young). Omar Gonzalez has been fantastic. Jordan Morris is a lot like Altidore although I think his first touch may be better than Altidore. Nagbe is going to be a huge asset for the US moving forward.

Mexico was a nothing burger in terms of fan issues. The game was during the day and no alcohol was served. So the homers were pretty calm. They are redesigning Azteca, so access by home fans to the visitors was severely curtailed. Last time, we went in and out of the stadium surrounded by jeeps with half a dozen soldiers locked and loaded in each one, an explosives disposal unit, and motorcycle cops. Leaving the stadium, there was a crowd of at least 300 people gathered to throw debris at the bus as we pulled through the gate. This time, just cops, and not as many. The folks that had gone before were really, really nervous at first. But it turned out OK. I didnt even get beer thrown at me, much less coins, batteries, and piss. The guys trying to climb over the barbed wire and taking on the cops nose to nose were no where to be found. It was chill. Except for the police escort, it was like going to an NFL game. Better even. Free wi-fi in the stadium. No wait concession stand. Private restroom. They really, really, want to part of the World Cup is the only thing I can think of.

Im going to break down and go to Honduras. The game is in San Pedro Sula, the murder capital of the world. There is no USSF organized trip for fans and AO isn't going either. My gf and I are going, but I will go to the game alone. Pray for me.

Jermaine Jones is still terrible. He isn't even effective playing couch. Clint Dempsey has no business being on the field for 90 minutes. Michael Bradley is serviceable and better when Kellen Acosta is there to help him. Kellen Acosta is terrible without Bradley to cover for him and give him confidence. Matt Hedges is a great MLS defender that can't believe he is playing for the USA and unless he starts believing won't be playing for long. Omar is a serviceable backup to Cameron and Brooks. He is inconsistent at this stage in his career, but the press is too hard on him. Villafana is not the answer on the left. Garza and Beasley will go. Zusi is not the answer on the right, but the USA lacks a quality set piece taker and he is the best we have. Bradley thinks he is good at it and is on his best day average. Zusi will go to the WC to the shock and horror of many for this reason alone. Jordan Morris' defensive lapses are tough to watch. When Dwyer got his citizenship, Wondo cried. Dom can fill that role nicely but has no business on the field against Germany or Argentina. It pains me to say it, but Arriola can ball. He is effing tiny though. Im not sure what good he will do against European competition, but he is comically tiny. Messi is short, but still stout and has good quickness. In real life, Messi doesnt look or play small. Arriola looks like an infant running around out there if you watch him play live. He literally looked half the size of the Martinique defenders. Still, his motor rate is high and I have a soft spot for that in the midfield.

Fox Sports coverage of the Gold Cup is a joke. They should run a disclaimer on the bottomline that says they are making Landon and Stu talk incessantly about MLS players because Fox broadcasts MLS. A defender IDs space in zone 14 that should be occupied by a forward, speedballs his marker, nutmegs the keeper and scores, but all they can talk about his Dempsey and how the goal couldn't happen without him. Complete rubbish. If Chris Pontius makes that goal, Dempsey isn't mentioned and they spend 10 minutes asking whether Pontius has punched his ticket to Russia. If Yedlin makes that run, he goes power to the short stick and it is blocked away by the keeper. Zusi would have lost the ball, because he lacks the speed to clear his defender. Lichaj is the only defender on the roster with the no-how to identify that opportunity and the athleticism and experience on offense to finish the chance. A really, really nice goal. Maybe the goal of the tournament for the USA (not withstanding the dramatic third goal against the bartenders and mechanics of Martinique) but it is being overlooked.

Last edited:
Holy cow Huffy...I never even paid attention to how small Arriola is so now I'm drawn to seeing how small he is. He just challenged a Jamaican defender and he was like 10 inches shorter. Good grief we have Rudy running around out there...but he sure can play

Unrelated to USMNT, my son did get to do some GK training with Donovan Ricketts at his team's practice last night. My 11 year old didn't really know who he was until after practice when I told him. Really cool guy Ricketts is!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT