ADVERTISEMENT

AAC Basketball Postseason Awards

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Surprise!!! (Not) Haggerty was named Freshman of the Year. But a little surprising is that Archie and Reed were named to the all Freshman team. Good for them. Let's keep the core together.

If Haggerty is not 1st team AAC it's a travesty. He just accomplished something only 11 other players have accomplished since 1992-1993...and all of those players were 1st round draft picks. Guys like Trae Young, James Harden, OJ Mayo, etc. Stephon Marbury was one also. Haggerty had one of the best all around seasons in the history of the game as a FR. Let's hope they recognize that.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
AAC is a ****ing joke. PJ was 3rd team??? All of those should have their votes stripped away. It's a farce

Reactions: TU 1978
What a joke.

American Athletic Conference Accolades
Players of the Year

Johnell Davis, Jr., G, Florida Atlantic
Chris Youngblood, Sr., G, South Florida

Coach of the Year
Amir Abdur-Rahim, South Florida*

Defensive Player of the Year
Yaxel Lendeborg, Jr., F, UAB

Freshman of the Year
PJ Haggerty, G, Tulsa*

Most Improved Player
Selton Miguel, Sr., G, South Florida

Sixth Man of the Year
Selton Miguel, Sr., G, South Florida*

Sportsmanship Award
Sion James, Jr., G, Tulane

All-Conference First Team
Yaxel Lendeborg, Jr., F, UAB
Johnell Davis, Jr., G, Florida Atlantic*
David Jones, Sr., G, Memphis
Jason Edwards, So., G, North Texas
Chris Youngblood, Sr., G, South Florida

All-Conference Second Team
Lu'Cye Patterson, Jr., G, Charlotte
Vladislav Goldin, Jr., C, Florida Atlantic
Alijah Martin, Jr., G, Florida Atlantic
Selton Miguel, Sr., G, South Florida
Zhuric Phelps, Jr., G, SMU

All-Conference Third Team
Igor Milicic Jr, Jr., F, Charlotte
RJ Felton, Jr., G, East Carolina
Jahvon Quinerly, Sr., G, Memphis
Kevin Cross, Sr., F, Tulane
PJ Haggerty, Fr., G, Tulsa

All-Freshman Team
Keanu Dawes, F, Rice*
Jayden Reid, G, South Florida*
Zion Stanford, G, Temple
Tyshawn Archie, G, Tulsa
PJ Haggerty, G, Tulsa*
Matt Reed, F, Tulsa

* denotes unanimous selection

At least the recognition Tulsa got on the all Freshman team was cool, 3 out of the 6 players.

I’m still frustrated that we didn’t get Lendeborg. Maybe it was an academic thing or simply UAB NIL. He would have been a perfect fit.

Haggerty was the only Freshman on the top three teams.
It doesn't matter he was a FR. He had a season that is extremely rare for a FR, like it only happened 11 times in the preceding 30 years and almost every one of the players on that list was a one and done NBA lottery pick. We're talking Trae Young, OJ Mayo, James Harden and Stephon Marbury among that group.

It doesn't matter he was a FR. He had a season that is extremely rare for a FR, like it only happened 11 times in the preceding 30 years and almost every one of the players on that list was a one and done NBA lottery pick. We're talking Trae Young, OJ Mayo, James Harden and Stephon Marbury among that group.
If he can develop his 3-pt shot and percentage and get his FT percentage to around 85%, he’ll be baking a triple tiered chocolate layer cake next season.

Reactions: TU_BLA
If he can develop his 3-pt shot and percentage and get his FT percentage to around 85%, he’ll be baking a triple tiered chocolate layer cake next season.
Thing is, he just doesn't shoot many 3s and doesn't need to. Yeah, the NBA will want that in his game and if he learns to hit that kick out pass when he gets into the lane and teams drop 2 extra players to stop him, he could be a double double guy with assists. Really, the only decent 3 pt shooter on the team is Archie and the person I don't mind shooting them beyond Archie is Reed. Everyone else should be looking for a better shot choice.

And the FT%, if he could keep it 85% would put him on another level nationally. With one or two more consistent offensive contributors next season, Haggerty could avg. 25 ppg, 10 APG with relative ease and not forcing a ton of shots. He shot 50% from the field this season as a guard which is really good. His most effective games were when he had a complementary scorer to free up some space for him. Cobe and Garcia mostly, but we need to have consistency from those next 2 guys to get 10-15 each every game next year.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
He was our best three point shooter when I watched last summer. But again I didn’t see all those great shots in the paint either. I think the three will certainly be a third option next year along with the dribble drive and pass.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
There is something to build on from here, he has really killed it.

We won FIVE games last year. FIVE GAMES! This is a huge improvement.

I would love to see this team finish in the conference finals. It isn't likely but I have seen crazier stuff.

There is something to build on from here, he has really killed it.

We won FIVE games last year. FIVE GAMES! This is a huge improvement.

I would love to see this team finish in the conference finals. It isn't likely but I have seen crazier stuff.
I would just like to see us get a chance to play USF again and have all the Memphis and UAB fans (the next game) pulling for us. (Since they think we are an easier beat)

Reactions: TU_BLA
I would just like to see us get a chance to play USF again and have all the Memphis and UAB fans (the next game) pulling for us. (Since they think we are an easier beat)
Memphis fans want no part of us I guarantee it. No game against us is ever a given especially while Penny is coach. If we do end up playing Memphis somehow, all our fans should just start an "80-40" chant

AAC is a ****ing joke. PJ was 3rd team??? All of those should have their votes stripped away. It's a farce
Been saying it for weeks... These decisions have little to do with what is right and more to do with propping up the home team and calling in favors to make it happen. Haggerty is freshman of the year because it was completely undeniable. If others of the ordained variety had equal accolades from a upper tier team in our conference he would have been robbed. As is he was dominant and they have to like it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT