ADVERTISEMENT

EPL vs. Budesliga & USMNT Implications

quincy101

I.T.S. Position Coach
Nov 4, 2007
Have watched the EPL for years & kind of turned up my nose at the Bundesliga. My loss! It's very entertaining futbol and has a bunch of Yanks in it. Bayern Munich can play with any club team on the planet, but Dortmund has become my favorite team to watch.

They have one of the hottest players in any league, Monsieur Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, and of course, young Christian Pulisic who is desperately is needed on the men's national team. Not only Pulisic, but league players like John Brooks( & Geoff Cameron from the EPL),Fabian Johnson,Bobby Wood,Julian Green,Tim Chandler & even A. Johannson. All are essential, IMO, to qualifying for the WC(not the crapper, the biggest sporting event on the planet).

I understand that the Bundesliga team managers won't permit players to play in friendlies while in the middle of a season. But surely when Bruce Arena gets his hands on these Bundesliga guys for the qualifiers he will immediately replace most of the MLS guys(such as Fielhaber,Zuzi and a few others who just can't handle top CONCACAF competition, let alone WC teams).

OK Huffy, write a novelette on why I'm wrong. Anyway, Dortmund plays a very,very entertaining brand of futbol as does the Bundesliga in general.

I think Feilhaber and Zusi get fair shots to play. Honestly, the US' best 11 at this point are going to come from this group (unless someone all of a sudden develops into a world class player). GK (put any name in there now...there are so few world class level ready keepers in the US...the fault of years of sticking with only Howard and Guzan). I am a Sean Johnson fan. DEF: Cameron, Brooks, Chandler, Besler, and I really like Birnbaum MF: Bradley, Nagbe, Pulisic, Johnson and Johnson, Julian Green, and Zardes F: Wood and Altidore.

Outside of the center back situation, the US has some really great talent and I think Klinsmann really hurt the program by sticking with his favorites instead of looking to see who could fit the style and develop into a role. I love Clint Dempsey but he's sort of been the I'll play when I feel like playing type. Same with Altidore although when Jozy's motivated he can be dominant. If Arena can develop a pairing of central backs (likely Cameron and Brooks) he can actually use some of his MFs to play on the outside of the backline and provide some additional attack opportunities. Nagbe and Zardes can both fit that role (even though the USMNT player pool list both as forwards). Zardes is a dynamic player. Pulisic is a top flight world class talent. Nagbe puts a lot of pressure on outside backs and could open space in the middle for Altidore and Wood.

Klinsmann played some odd lneups and formations at the worst times. You can't roll out a 3-5-3 for a WC qualifier with Mexico when you've never done it with this group before. US looked terrible in the 1st 15 minutes and Bradley was held back because of it. I think Arena gets their confidence back, gives some opportunities to some guys that Klinsmann overlooked for whatever reason, and the US qualifies in the 2nd spot out of CONCACAF. The game vs. Serbia last week showed a lot of creativity and chances moving forward and the defense was much more cohesive even without the 2 center backs who will likely start. Against Jamaica with the advanced college starting lineup, they still looked capable of creating plenty of chances and they didn't give Jamaica much either.

I always felt like Altidore's biggest struggle in international play has been staying reliably healthy. The roster is pretty weird with a lot of young developing talent and a lot of guys that are aging out of relevancy but not a ton of star level guys in the middle of their careers. I'm not sure if Dempsey will have one more go left in him for 2018 (hoping we qualify of course) but it would be nice if he did.

We haven't mentioned Yedlin (I know he's EPL) but he looks like he'll be an asset for years to come as well.

Pulisic has the makings of a world-class talent on the level of the superstars on any European team.

Have watched the EPL for years & kind of turned up my nose at the Bundesliga. My loss! It's very entertaining futbol and has a bunch of Yanks in it. Bayern Munich can play with any club team on the planet, but Dortmund has become my favorite team to watch.

They have one of the hottest players in any league, Monsieur Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, and of course, young Christian Pulisic who is desperately is needed on the men's national team. Not only Pulisic, but league players like John Brooks( & Geoff Cameron from the EPL),Fabian Johnson,Bobby Wood,Julian Green,Tim Chandler & even A. Johannson. All are essential, IMO, to qualifying for the WC(not the crapper, the biggest sporting event on the planet).

I understand that the Bundesliga team managers won't permit players to play in friendlies while in the middle of a season. But surely when Bruce Arena gets his hands on these Bundesliga guys for the qualifiers he will immediately replace most of the MLS guys(such as Fielhaber,Zuzi and a few others who just can't handle top CONCACAF competition, let alone WC teams).

OK Huffy, write a novelette on why I'm wrong. Anyway, Dortmund plays a very,very entertaining brand of futbol as does the Bundesliga in general.

Bayern can play with anyone in the world? How is this news to you? The US needs to get on the international schedule. We can go up against spring baseball, which is worthless anyway except for getting drunk at a stadium on opening day. Hell the playoffs and part of the MLS season go for most of college football and the NFL season anyway. Pulisic is the truth. Dortmund is through to the next round of the UEFAs, and he will get some play if not start.

I think Feilhaber and Zusi get fair shots to play. Honestly, the US' best 11 at this point are going to come from this group (unless someone all of a sudden develops into a world class player). GK (put any name in there now...there are so few world class level ready keepers in the US...the fault of years of sticking with only Howard and Guzan). I am a Sean Johnson fan. DEF: Cameron, Brooks, Chandler, Besler, and I really like Birnbaum MF: Bradley, Nagbe, Pulisic, Johnson and Johnson, Julian Green, and Zardes F: Wood and Altidore.

Outside of the center back situation, the US has some really great talent and I think Klinsmann really hurt the program by sticking with his favorites instead of looking to see who could fit the style and develop into a role. I love Clint Dempsey but he's sort of been the I'll play when I feel like playing type. Same with Altidore although when Jozy's motivated he can be dominant. If Arena can develop a pairing of central backs (likely Cameron and Brooks) he can actually use some of his MFs to play on the outside of the backline and provide some additional attack opportunities. Nagbe and Zardes can both fit that role (even though the USMNT player pool list both as forwards). Zardes is a dynamic player. Pulisic is a top flight world class talent. Nagbe puts a lot of pressure on outside backs and could open space in the middle for Altidore and Wood.

Klinsmann played some odd lneups and formations at the worst times. You can't roll out a 3-5-3 for a WC qualifier with Mexico when you've never done it with this group before. US looked terrible in the 1st 15 minutes and Bradley was held back because of it. I think Arena gets their confidence back, gives some opportunities to some guys that Klinsmann overlooked for whatever reason, and the US qualifies in the 2nd spot out of CONCACAF. The game vs. Serbia last week showed a lot of creativity and chances moving forward and the defense was much more cohesive even without the 2 center backs who will likely start. Against Jamaica with the advanced college starting lineup, they still looked capable of creating plenty of chances and they didn't give Jamaica much either.

Both me and my girlfriend have observed Jozy's lack of motivation at Rapids vs Toronto FC. This stuff is probably what hurt him in at Sunderland. Jozy also doesn't have the touch that is needed for someone at that level.

Bayern can play with anyone in the world? How is this news to you? The US needs to get on the international schedule. We can go up against spring baseball, which is worthless anyway except for getting drunk at a stadium on opening day. Hell the playoffs and part of the MLS season go for most of college football and the NFL season anyway. Pulisic is the truth. Dortmund is through to the next round of the UEFAs, and he will get some play if not start.
Getting on the international schedule would destroy MLS. I know what you are saying but MLS simply doesn't have enough of a following to force people to choose between the NFL/college football and an MLS game. Yes there are some pretty passionate and die hard MLS fans but I just don't see them competing with those two entities in ticket sales or viewership. EPL and Bundesliga do relatively well in terms of US viewership because their games are broadcast pretty early on Saturday and Sunday mornings before college football and NFL games start.

And I completely forgot about Yedlin in my earlier analysis of who might be part of the starting 11. He is such a versatile player in being able to play in the back (and be solid) as well as attacking out of the back and really putting pressure on teams.

Altidore's biggest asset is being able to win a ball with his back to goal. He is nearly impossible to dispossess in that situation and frequently he is able to lay the ball off the a wing and create a chance that way. He is not in the same mold as a Ronaldo or Messi in that they have great control with the ball at their feet and can break a defender down, but his strength and size make it difficult to defend him...and when he is playing motivated he is in the same mold as Benteke. Altidore also has great placement of his shots.

Getting on the international schedule would destroy MLS. I know what you are saying but MLS simply doesn't have enough of a following to force people to choose between the NFL/college football and an MLS game. Yes there are some pretty passionate and die hard MLS fans but I just don't see them competing with those two entities in ticket sales or viewership. EPL and Bundesliga do relatively well in terms of US viewership because their games are broadcast pretty early on Saturday and Sunday mornings before college football and NFL games start.

And I completely forgot about Yedlin in my earlier analysis of who might be part of the starting 11. He is such a versatile player in being able to play in the back (and be solid) as well as attacking out of the back and really putting pressure on teams.

Altidore's biggest asset is being able to win a ball with his back to goal. He is nearly impossible to dispossess in that situation and frequently he is able to lay the ball off the a wing and create a chance that way. He is not in the same mold as a Ronaldo or Messi in that they have great control with the ball at their feet and can break a defender down, but his strength and size make it difficult to defend him...and when he is playing motivated he is in the same mold as Benteke. Altidore also has great placement of his shots.

If you think "winning the ball" with your back to goal and laying the ball off is an "asset" we could find a 200 kids in the development academies and 300 at the university level that could replace him tomorrow.

No novel. You are right on the mark. You forgot Terrance Boyd though. He scored this weekend for Darmstadt.

Altidore has no business in international football, but US soccer has been investing in him since age 14, so he will be around, like it or not. He is not a Number 9. As for the remark about the number of kids in America with the speed and size and vision and leaping ability and durability to play a true international target 9 with the skills to play back to goal, they come along maybe once in a generation. Conor Casey before he blew his knee out in the Bundesliga is the last one I've seen in the USA. Brian McBride before that, though his back to goal skills and size were an issue. There aren't 200 players that could replace Altidore. The truth is we have maybe 3 and there is no guarantee that they will develop. He is not good enough, but he is the best we have if you want to play the tree and not give up goals.

Its a common theme that America is some vast untapped well of natural athletic talent and that all we need to do is build our scouting and coaching network and we will suddenly
Both me and my girlfriend have observed Jozy's lack of motivation at Rapids vs Toronto FC. This stuff is probably what hurt him in at Sunderland. Jozy also doesn't have the touch that is needed for someone at that level.
totally agree.

If you think "winning the ball" with your back to goal and laying the ball off is an "asset" we could find a 200 kids in the development academies and 300 at the university level that could replace him tomorrow.
I could not disagree more. It is such a myth that America is somehow this vast untapped well of soccer talent that only needs to be discovered. Tab Ramos saw Christian Pulisic play soccer at age 11. Eleven. Once again, let me say it, 11. He contacted Tony Lepore to have the US Soccer Academy reach out and bring him in for an evaluation. Lepore is the director of US Scouting and already knew about Christian, had seen him play in person, and had been in touch with his parents about coming in. If you have talent that stands out, it will get noticed. The idea that Bruce Arena could jump in the car and drive down to the barrio and find our next number 10 is so laughable. Im pretty sure Bruce has a driver's license and can find the local pitches in LA. Pay to play, in and of itself is not the problem either. The Philadelphia Union high school/academy is about $46,500 a year. They set aside $250,000.00 a year in scholarships for kids that cannot afford it, but have the skills to develop into a top flight talent. The academy has only been around for a few years, but the money goes unclaimed, despite being one of the best available schools in the Philly area with many graduates giving up soccer and going on to the Ivy League. Altidore is a physical freak that is not easily replaced. People that can play his position on the soccer pitch at an elite international level number in the 50s, and that is looking around the globe.

Just a few comments on early February posts. I used to watch a lot of Bundesliga in the 80's and early 90's when it was the only soccer on TV but then it kind of disappeared. All of the players I watched then are managers or broadcasters now.

If Bradley never saw the field again with the USMNT I wouldn't shed a tear. He has become a turnover machine.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Just a few comments on early February posts. I used to watch a lot of Bundesliga in the 80's and early 90's when it was the only soccer on TV but then it kind of disappeared. All of the players I watched then are managers or broadcasters now.

If Bradley never saw the field again with the USMNT I wouldn't shed a tear. He has become a turnover machine.

Who is his replacement?

Take your pick.

Enchanted_Rock%2C_boulder.jpg

Pigs-Playing-Soccer-Funny-Picture.jpg

I think we need to give Bradley a break. Maybe it was Taylor Twellman who was commenting about how Klinsmann was asking Bradley to play a different style of 6 than he ever had before and that under Arena he'll play a more natural role as holding mid. I get Klinsmann's formation and attack were unusual. I get that it worked in Germany where you had players who have a ball on their foot 24/7 since the age of 6 months. I think there were moments where you could see it work here, but Klinsmann never seemed to be able to adapt or adjust against teams with equal to superior talent. I think there is enough on the offensive side to generate lots of quality chances under Arena....he needs to find 2 center backs that he will have for the next 10 years.

And CONCACAF needs to go get referees from other confederations for qualifying. There is a conspiracy against the US by the Spanish speaking CONCACAF refs that is almost overt now.

Well, Aubameyang(hat trick) & Pulisic destroy Benfica to reach the quarter- finals of the Champions league with the opponent draw on the 17th. Young Pulisic(a goal & 2 assists) is really coming on. At 18 yrs old, this kid has the potential to make more $ than Joe Mixon without the baggage. Hope he stays at Dortmund but doubt it.

On the USMNT front, Arena is considering D. Beasley, Greg Garza, Jorge Villafana, Tim Ream,& E. Lichaz at left back. Don't know anything about these guys other than Beasley has had a great career that's probably over. I see Yedlin is hurt but don't know how bad & it's great to see #2 back on the field for Seattle( & hopefully for the USMNT).

Last edited:
Who is his replacement?
Get ready to hear a lot about Tyler Adams. And Perry Kitchen would be an improvement over Bradley if the last two qualifiers are anything to judge. If we see the same under Arena that we saw in Costa Rica, Bradley will be out of the pool. You can't keep an ex captain hanging around and Bruce knows that. He will honor him this summer, but jettison him.

Speaking of bench, one thing Bruce does do, is keep one roster spot open for a past his prime veteran who understands the game at high level from a brain standpoint and has the personality to help train younger players when the coaches aren't around and the versatility to play several different positions if disaster strikes. Given that and his relationship with the player going back 20 years, DeMarcus Beasley is a lock to be the first American and one of about 6 players ever to go to 5 World Cups. If you can find action in Vegas to bet on that. Take it.

Well, Aubameyang(hat trick) & Pulisic destroy Benfica to reach the quarter- finals of the Champions league with the opponent draw on the 17th. Young Pulisic(a goal & 2 assists) is really coming on. At 18 yrs old, this kid has the potential to make more $ than Joe Mixon without the baggage. Hope he stays at Dortmund but doubt it.

On the USMNT front, Arena is considering D. Beasley, Greg Garza, Jorge Villafana, Tim Ream,& E. Lichaz at left back. Don't know anything about these guys other than Beasley has had a great career that's probably over. I see Yedlin is hurt but don't know how bad & it's great to see #2 back on the field for Seattle( & hopefully for the USMNT).

Ream is finished with the national team, if you believe the scuttlebutt. There are some personality and behavior issues involved, iirc, that transcend Jurgen leaving. Beasley is a lock. Garza is a lock if healthy, but won't be relied upon, Villafana no, Lichaj maybe. From a pure talent perspective, he should have been on the team for the last four years, but again, personality and commitment issues got in his way. The USA isn't programmed for players that value club over country and Lichaj and his agent have made those types of decisions in the past. Still, Arena is in a position where he has to take the best players, not the best players that work together which is what Jurgen was supposedly looking for. So this business of Tim Howard and/or the German players getting together and black balling pool players is probably over in the short term.

Yedlin is playing well on loan. The thigh thing is no big deal. He will go and play.

Pulisic will be in Dortmund through 2020. His contract is too pricey to be moved through the summer of 2018 and he isn't getting regular time, despite the obvious talent and upside to his game. From 2018-2020, if he is playing at the same level he is playing at now but on a regular basis, Dortmund have no incentive to move him, unless blockbuster Beckham type money is thrown around. He hasn't shown that type of talent or marketability yet. He's got good people around him and they know he has to learn and develop. Moving will set that back. He will be there for awhile, if not the duration.

Reactions: quincy101
Pulisic will be in Dortmund through 2020. His contract is too pricey to be moved through the summer of 2018 and he isn't getting regular time, despite the obvious talent and upside to his game. From 2018-2020, if he is playing at the same level he is playing at now but on a regular basis, Dortmund have no incentive to move him, unless blockbuster Beckham type money is thrown around. He hasn't shown that type of talent or marketability yet. He's got good people around him and they know he has to learn and develop. Moving will set that back. He will be there for awhile, if not the duration.

I may get to see him in Augsburg in May.

I follow maybe six people on instagram that I don't know personally. He is one of them. He is worth the follow. @trickybeas

Some interesting movement in the roster ahead of Friday and Tuesday.

It was looking like the plan was to play in balance with an empty bucket with Bradley and maybe McCarty in the rear with Altidore and Wood up top. Im not so sure now. That would have been the smart play, if not a clone of Bob Bradley tactics. Stack the defense in the middle, spread the wings to keep the bruising CONCACAF is famous for to a minimum. Just run by the fouls with Pulisic, Nagbe, and Wood. That strategy appears to be out of the window.

Bringing in Kljestan is a no brainer from a relationship standpoint -- Bruce and Sasha go back to Sasha's youth playing days in the Olympic development program in SoCal. Bruce made an attempt to sign him to the Galaxy a couple of seasons ago but the league nixed it.

Now you have to ask how the goals are going to be scored with Wood gone. We are likely back to the double pivot of the Jurgen era, but with Bradley and Kljestan in those spots, and perhaps a better understanding between the two as they are very close friends going back decades. But that put serious pressure on Pulisic and Altidore to find the net -- or Dempsey as a supersub for Altidore. And if Altidore gets hurt again, the USA is going to be in some serious trouble. Morris supposedly isn't healthy, but will travel with the team.

It also stacks the middle and leaves the wings open, which is going to be an issue in Panama, if that is the case.

We are essentially back to the fundamental conundrum of the 2010 WC cycle. Do we bucket and watch this year's version of Ricardo Clark (Dax McCarty?) get bowled over when holding or left behind on the counterattack when he advances, or do we go to a pivot and watch Bradley give the ball away, back pass, and struggle to bring the ball up the field because we are narrow and playing inward and his companion (Jones before, but likely Kljestan this time) gets lost in the mess. If we learned one thing in Costa Rica, it is that playing narrow and direct in the middle is not the USA game. The late additions to the US roster seem to indicate we may be in for more of the same.

What happened to Wood? He's been in top form in Germany as of late...In international play, Altidore commands so much attention from the big physical center backs that Wood frequently finds some more space to make a run and/or move with the ball.

What happened to Wood? He's been in top form in Germany as of late...In international play, Altidore commands so much attention from the big physical center backs that Wood frequently finds some more space to make a run and/or move with the ball.
He has been cleared by his club to play, but US Soccer says he has a back injury and has been dropped from the roster. Make of that what you will, though I suspect it is nothing more than him really being hurt, but the club wanting to keep him happy and keep paying him his weekly checks.

And you are exactly correct, and it is the number one thing missed by most casual American fans of soccer. The beautiful diagonal runs into space that you see from speedy players like Wood and Pulisic is caused by a numeric and/or physical mismatch of an elite 9 pulling defenses towards him and away from the space where the winger is streaking across the box. All most americans see is the athletic gifts of the man on the ball, and ignore the brutal war of one man fighting off two bigger men to make it happen.

Which is the problem with Alitdore and the American attack against elite play. Altidore simply doesnt command the draw that forces a single defender to over commit, much less two, that creates space for the runners and the pipe crashers. JK belatedly tried to address that by bringing in speedy wingers like Pulisic and Gooch and sending them wide to open up space underneath. The problem? The USA doesnt have a closer underneath with Dempsey aging and hurt. And all it did was open up gaps that let the opposing team counterattacker against mismatches. That's how you go 4-0 down in Costa Rica.

On another note, Ream (the da#$ Biliken) being on the roster shows you how limited the roster options are right now -- but also shows you that the influence of some of the major players, such as Tim Howard, may be on the wane.

Last edited:
I am nervous about this game tomorrow and then we go away to Panama. If we don't qualify, I want the admin of US Soccer cleaned out. Sunil chained his horse to Jurgen and if we don't qualify, he can take a hike.

Sunil was the van driver for the USMNT in the late 80s a grad student. He might not be in charge, but he is not going anywhere as far as influence is concerned if the US fails to qualify. Realistically, for the USA to fail to qualify we would have to lose the next three games in a row before it really starts to look like we aren't going.

Jordan Morris is not expected to dress, much less play, against Honduras. Expect Dempsey up top for 60 minutes, then a defensive sub if we are ahead or Wondolowski (who is the only other option in camp) if we are behind or deadlocked. I don't think Arena wants to do that, but I don't think he has any choice. Pulisic withdrawn in the middle would probably be a disaster for reasons too lengthy to explain given my limited schedule today.

Don't be nervous, it will be alright, even with a draw, but that means we will have to win in Panama to stay comfortable.

People are complaining about the time for first touch, but I personally like the idea of working all day, going home for a two hour nap, then getting a steak and pre-gaming for a couple of hours. Maybe Im just getting old.

If you haven't seen the snapchat video of Landon Donovan dropping an f bomb, then stage diving into the American Outlaws party off of a taco truck, while a little tipsy at their party last night, it is worth finding on twitter. Im sure it is out there.

Last edited:
Quioto and Elis ... holy crap. We are still 8 hours before game time and I can already see them in my head streaking down the wings with nobody close to catching them. Lets hope DMB has something left in the tank ....

WOW!!!! We put a major thumpin on poor Honduras. Well worth staying up till midnight to watch complete dominance. Panama won't be as easy on the road but prospects are rocketing up to make WC. 6/0 with Dempsey a hat trick( & every one of them world class(esp. that free kick) & young Pulisic getting a goal & 2 assists.

With Fabian Johnson, maybe Yedlin,Wood & Morris joining the fold, also Chandler & Jones as possibles, Arena will have a very tough time figuring out the roster. Let us not forget Tim Howard who made 3 or 4 world class saves. USA! USA! USA!

Morris, Orazco, Brooks, Lleget all sent home. Paul Arriola added to the roster.

Johnson and Wood aren't on the roster.

I think you'll see Cameron come inside with Zusi starting at RB. If Zusi struggles, then Ream into the middle and Cameron wide.

Bedoya stays in for Lleget on the right.

If he plays Jermaine Jones, I will hurt myself.

I don't see Arena breaking something that doesn't need fixing.

He deserves all the credit in the world for making Altidore understand he isn't a goal scorer. We fell apart at the end when he was the focus of the attack.

Last edited:
Pulisic is as close as the US will ever be to having a Messi type of player. His vision and ability/touch to put the ball exactly where it needs to be placed is exquisite. He had 3 assists in Friday but stupid stat rules only credit him with 2. He definitely set up Lletget's goal. I was disappointed with Nagbe. I expected so much more from him. He almost looked lost at times with the speed of the game. He missed a ton of available passes into space wide and instead opted to pull the ball out and back several times.

I thought the backline was good, but this level might be beyond Villafana's skill set. He recovered well but seemed to be in odd position most of the night and seemed to lose connection with his center back(s) on too many occasions.

Dempsey- really good and his movement and understanding with Pulisic is so good already.

Honduran keeper was a hot mess all night. While Dempsey's free kick goal was well placed, the keeper was not. If you set up a wall to take away the near post, you position yourself midway through the space not covered by the wall. For some reason the keeper looked like he nearly positioned himself behind the wall and cheated a step in the same direction as Dempsey approached the ball. (BTW, the Colorado FC keeper made similar mistakes last night vs the Roughnecks. I told my son to learn from the keepers mistakes in positioning).

Bradley- he looks lost. His goal was good and if no one is going to step to him and take the space away, then you have to shoot. Shot was well placed but didn't have the pace you should need to beat the keeper....keeper was in poor position and reacted slow. I was really frustrated with Bradley's poor placement on his passes and too many giveaways.

Just my takes. Center back was much much better than under JK

Speaking of the pace of Bradley's shot, I'm more concerned about the pace on his passes. Slow dribblers that anyone has a chance to get to. Ugh! If, Zuzi and Ream play, I'll let Huffy hurt me, too! & why isn't F. Johnson on the roster? While he couldn't play against Honduras, Arena should have had him ready to go against Panama.

Johnson has a hamstring issue that he suffered early in a Europa league game about a week or so ago. You don't come out of your club lineup for injury and make them burn a sub early in a european league tournament tie, then show up and play a few weeks later for your national team, even if you are ready to go. By all accounts, he is still hurt.

Honduras's strength was wing play, but they made some weird decisions about where they attacked, even after Zusi came in and was left exposed a couple of times on the right when Bedoya gave the ball up.

With Panama it is the opposite. They like the middle and they like direct. The pressure will be on Bradley and who ever replaces Brooks. We knocked them out of the last spot to go to the World Cup last time with a meaningless goal at the end of a lopsided game. They will want blood.

I wish the media would stop calling the multiple formations played on Friday a "diamond". The only time that was a diamond was when the graphics guy for Fox was doing the computer model of the lineup before the game started. There were some attacking concepts that you see often from a "diamond", (indeed some of the tactics were similar to what TU has done in the recent past), but I don't consider the personnel on the field and how they reacted together to be a diamond.

Thank god Pulisic wasn't made a forward as I feared.

I wonder if we will see Walker Zimmerman. I think it will be Ream in for Brooks, but Arena is known for his philosophy that you don't bring players in just to ride the bench. Zimmerman can handle it. He was an exceptional U-20 and U-23 player, he holds his own in MLS for FC Dallas, and he has played well in their CONCACAF Champions League ties.

I don't believe this.
For 18 years old and projecting a continued upward development, he is as close as we have to a Messi type player. Donovan wasn't that player. Pulisic simply sees the field better than I have seen in the past from a US player, and his touch on passes is ridiculously good.

And Huffy, I believe the US should have tanked that last game and left it a draw...would have knocked Mexico out of the 4th spot/play-in game and out of the World Cup. And I like Zimmerman. He's a guy who wasn't in JKs long range plan for whatever unexplained reason.

Not comparing anyone to L. Messi, but 2 of Dempsey's 3 goals were absolutely world class & that free kick was definitly Messi-like. Been watching Pulisic all season w/ Dortmund & in the Champions League, including 2 draws with Real Madrid in the group stage & the kid is really skilled & fearless. Just thrilled for his success.

FYI-for those without BeIn Sports, the only other place to watch tonight's game is NBC Universo(in Spanish). With Directv, it's ch 410 @ 9pm. Don't know about Dish or other providers.

FYI-for those without BeIn Sports, the only other place to watch tonight's game is NBC Universo(in Spanish). With Directv, it's ch 410 @ 9pm. Don't know about Dish or other providers.
What is it with not all USMNT games being shown on ESPN or FS1 regardless of where they are being played?

Pulisic was brilliant again. Zusi never needs to play right back again. Ream was pretty terrible and that was compounded every time Villafana decided to pinch in and leave Ream hanging on a run on the outside. The inability to clear crosses and throws across the middle of the box gave me angina all night. Bradley again refused to hit a pass with any pace...it's one thing if you're putting the ball into space for someone to run onto, another if you're making a pass to the feet. Altidore looked tired as did Dempsey. Nagbe was effective but I feel he gives the ball up to quickly and easily when he is in space. I've come to the conclusion Jermaine Jones is a dirty player and he didn't do much to help the team last night. I think I'd rather see Bedoya start with Jones off the bench. US really needs Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, and Bobby Wood back.

Pulisic was brilliant again. Zusi never needs to play right back again. Ream was pretty terrible and that was compounded every time Villafana decided to pinch in and leave Ream hanging on a run on the outside. The inability to clear crosses and throws across the middle of the box gave me angina all night. Bradley again refused to hit a pass with any pace...it's one thing if you're putting the ball into space for someone to run onto, another if you're making a pass to the feet. Altidore looked tired as did Dempsey. Nagbe was effective but I feel he gives the ball up to quickly and easily when he is in space. I've come to the conclusion Jermaine Jones is a dirty player and he didn't do much to help the team last night. I think I'd rather see Bedoya start with Jones off the bench. US really needs Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, and Bobby Wood back.
And Yedlin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT