ADVERTISEMENT

Did we dodge a bullet?

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001

16h
Oklahoma State guard Michael Weathers has been suspended from the team indefinitely. He's facing criminal charges for felony grand larceny and knowingly concealing stolen property.

Yikes. Not something we’d want - especially with all the current bash TU pieces coming from our friends in the print media.

Huge loss for OSU. Equivalent to TU losing Tap. Dude has never played a game for OSU...and likely never will. Kids can be idiots.

I realize the Payne County DA learned their art from the East German secret police, but I had the suspicion they would figure out a way to let him play. Maybe not. That article is ugly.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Payne County DA and OSU have been at odds since the Darrel Williams incident. Lots of bad blood. Suppose there's a chance he stays if the charges get reduced to a misdemeanor. Buying drinks for everyone in the bar with someone's credit card is never a good idea. I think he's likely gone.

Payne County DA and OSU have been at odds since the Darrel Williams incident. Lots of bad blood. Suppose there's a chance he stays if the charges get reduced to a misdemeanor. Buying drinks for everyone in the bar with someone's credit card is never a good idea. I think he's likely gone.

It’s the wrong DA mindset for that town. They prosecute everyone for everything. I’ve had a couple of cases there and I was not impressed. Then they give the kids the run around on punishment. Doesn’t seem to deter anything, but it generates some fees for them. I may have had a case about weed and the whole thing felt like something off Hunger Games or Handmaid’s Tale. The punishment and process had nothing to do with the game of that may or may not have been the boy’s $40 of weed in a dorm (ehrmergad, there’s weed in the dorm at OSU111!).

By way of comparison, Norman is Dutch in level of tolerance. And admittedly there was the Joe Mixon fiasco. I actually cited the reported case the other day in an issue about what happens when a court tries to change the record while something is on appeal.

But yeah. The worst part of that is the victim saw it and confronted him. That’s not a crime per se, but that will motivate the prosecutors.

Last edited:
Geez... OSU let Jameson Curry play after selling weed in NC and Doug Gottlieb play after committing credit card fraud...this kid will play...

Reactions: Gold*
Haisten will write something positive in the World.

“Weathers, who spurned the University of Tulsa, is a superior pick pocket to anyone on TU’s roster and even more skilled at forgery. TU should quit playing sports and OSU players should be pardoned by Mary Fallin, who is really smart and an OSU alum. By contrast, TU has no alumni who were governors with historic low poll numbers.”

Geez... OSU let Jameson Curry play after selling weed in NC and Doug Gottlieb play after committing credit card fraud...this kid will play...

Maybe. Neither of those descretions occurred while the player was attending OSU though. Boynton kicked Glover off the squad last season for much less than Weather’s offense. Assume it depends on whether the charge gets reduced to a misdemeanor and whether he’s been in trouble before. OSU is in for a tough season.

Appears our next Gov is likely to be an OSU grad as well btw. Gotta be better than Fallin.

Maybe. Neither of those descretions occurred while the player was attending OSU though. Boynton kicked Glover off the squad last season for much less than Weather’s offense. Assume it depends on whether the charge gets reduced to a misdemeanor and whether he’s been in trouble before. OSU is in for a tough season.

Appears our next Gov is likely to be an OSU grad as well btw. Gotta be better than Fallin.

It’s about time for the win at all costs attitude to return to Stilly.

Their head coach dodged the federal anal probe, so it’s full speed ahead on finishing Eddie Sutton’s vision of a thug filled Aggie team winning a championship.

This kid will play.

It’s the wrong DA mindset for that town. They prosecute everyone for everything. I’ve had a couple of cases there and I was not impressed. Then they give the kids the run around on punishment. Doesn’t seem to deter anything, but it generates some fees for them. I may have had a case about weed and the whole thing felt like something off Hunger Games or Handmaid’s Tale. The punishment and process had nothing to do with the game of that may or may not have been the boy’s $40 of weed in a dorm (ehrmergad, there’s weed in the dorm at OSU111!).

By way of comparison, Norman is Dutch in level of tolerance. And admittedly there was the Joe Mixon fiasco. I actually cited the reported case the other day in an issue about what happens when a court tries to change the record while something is on appeal.

But yeah. The worst part of that is the victim saw it and confronted him. That’s not a crime per se, but that will motivate the prosecutors.

Funny OSU/Stillwater story: I got a parking ticket in Stillwater once.

Actually, scratch that. I did NOT get a parking ticket in Stillwater once. I've only ever been there 2-3 times circa 1999-2000, and I didn't get any citations whatsoever. But a couple of years ago I got some mail forwarded to me from my parents that included a parking citation in Stillwater. I disputed it, as I did not recognize the vehicle, nor have I even been to Stillwater in over 15 years.

The reality of what happened next was mind-boggling. I called their office, and said I had no idea what this was about. They claimed the car was registered to my mother. This was possible, since she had recently bought a new car. It was a car I had never even seen, much less driven to Stillwater. I didn't even know what make/model it was. I said, "Okay, well, why don't you take this up with her?" They said that it was their experience that many times when a car is registered to someone whose child goes to the school, that it is actually the child's car. I told them that I never attended OSU. They responded that I had applied to the school (I didn't), and that they thought I was probably visiting friends of mine that actually attended. I told them I graduated college a decade ago, and didn't know anyone in Stillwater, nor had I visited in that or any other car. They wouldn't let it go.

I called my mother and explained the situation. She did indeed own the car that was cited, but hadn't been to Stillwater either. I asked her what date she had purchased the car, and it turns out the citation was issued a couple weeks BEFORE she bought the car.

I called the Stillwater PD (or whomever it was) back and politely asked them to check the registration records on the vehicle again, and this time to check and see who owned it on the actual date of the infraction, not who currently owns it. They called me back a couple hours later and dropped the citation.

TL;DR: A car got cited in Stillwater. Later, my mother bought that same car. For some reason, the geniuses in Stillwater cited ME for a parking ticket and argued with me on the phone for an hour about whether I had been to Stillwater recently or had any friends there, or had once attended college there.

Funny OSU/Stillwater story: I got a parking ticket in Stillwater once.

Actually, scratch that. I did NOT get a parking ticket in Stillwater once. I've only ever been there 2-3 times circa 1999-2000, and I didn't get any citations whatsoever. But a couple of years ago I got some mail forwarded to me from my parents that included a parking citation in Stillwater. I disputed it, as I did not recognize the vehicle, nor have I even been to Stillwater in over 15 years.

The reality of what happened next was mind-boggling. I called their office, and said I had no idea what this was about. They claimed the car was registered to my mother. This was possible, since she had recently bought a new car. It was a car I had never even seen, much less driven to Stillwater. I didn't even know what make/model it was. I said, "Okay, well, why don't you take this up with her?" They said that it was their experience that many times when a car is registered to someone whose child goes to the school, that it is actually the child's car. I told them that I never attended OSU. They responded that I had applied to the school (I didn't), and that they thought I was probably visiting friends of mine that actually attended. I told them I graduated college a decade ago, and didn't know anyone in Stillwater, nor had I visited in that or any other car. They wouldn't let it go.

I called my mother and explained the situation. She did indeed own the car that was cited, but hadn't been to Stillwater either. I asked her what date she had purchased the car, and it turns out the citation was issued a couple weeks BEFORE she bought the car.

I called the Stillwater PD (or whomever it was) back and politely asked them to check the registration records on the vehicle again, and this time to check and see who owned it on the actual date of the infraction, not who currently owns it. They called me back a couple hours later and dropped the citation.

TL;DR: A car got cited in Stillwater. Later, my mother bought that same car. For some reason, the geniuses in Stillwater cited ME for a parking ticket and argued with me on the phone for an hour about whether I had been to Stillwater recently or had any friends there, or had once attended college there.
They're probably OSU graduates... I wouldn't be surprised if the Aggies gave them a Masters.

“Will you just read this?”

“No!”

“Why not?”

“My name is Dexter Manley and I can’t read.”

Reactions: cmullinsTU
“Will you just read this?”

“No!”

“Why not?”

“My name is Dexter Manley and I can’t read.”
Funny thing, I was just discussing Dexter Manley with a dad whose kid plays on my son's soccer team. The dad played football at OSU and was there when Manley was playing. He says Manley was one of the nicest most genuine people he's ever met. And probably the best football player he's ever played with.

Funny thing, I was just discussing Dexter Manley with a dad whose kid plays on my son's soccer team. The dad played football at OSU and was there when Manley was playing. He says Manley was one of the nicest most genuine people he's ever met. And probably the best football player he's ever played with.

Yeah, when it comes to poke fun, it shouldn't be aimed at a man who has been upstanding and played well.

It should be aimed at an academic institution that so lost it's way it forgot it's primary purpose, to educate the population.

Yeah, when it comes to poke fun, it shouldn't be aimed at a man who has been upstanding and played well.

It should be aimed at an academic institution that so lost it's way it forgot it's primary purpose, to educate the population.
That's on whatever elementary and high schools he went to as well. My guess is he was probably a disruption in class because of his reading problem and acting out was a cry for help without subjecting him to the ridicule of classmates, because...who can't read? It's a travesty that our educational system shuffles kids through for whatever reason.

Elementry was probably the start of it.

But somewhere in middle school he figured out how to get by. That's probably about the same time his athletic ability began to bend the rules for him. By high school and college he was at programs where football players just got passed along so no one noticed it because they never looked.

It's a sad statement of society as a whole. A break down of our basic systems. A curruption of our values, and a failure to address problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT