ADVERTISEMENT

CHAMP WEEK

All 4 of their losses are Q1's. With them being close except for Houston, they are considered quality losses. The rest of the Q games are wins. They did go undefeated in Conference play and have 29 total wins, 25 count on the NET. I believe that even if they lose the game tonight that they still get in.
100% will not get in if they lose tonight...only way they do is if the CBS talking heads convince the committee to do so because Absmas is a fun player to watch. Hell, there is no way ORU gets in as an at large over North Carolina and most talking heads agree that UNC is not going to be in the tournament unless they win the ACC. ORU's NET will be between 65-75 if they lost tonight and the old "They don't have any Q1 wins and this team from a power conference has 6 Q1 wins even though they're only 17-13 on the season."

All 4 of their losses are Q1's. With them being close except for Houston, they are considered quality losses. The rest of the Q games are wins. They did go undefeated in Conference play and have 29 total wins, 25 count on the NET. I believe that even if they lose the game tonight that they still get in.
I hope so but have my doubts as never seems to happen. They don't need a lot of upsets the next few days that's for sure! One of the tougher years they have had as far as scheduling good teams even on the road.

Best just to win tonight and get healthy for next week!:)

100% will not get in if they lose tonight...only way they do is if the CBS talking heads convince the committee to do so because Absmas is a fun player to watch. Hell, there is no way ORU gets in as an at large over North Carolina and most talking heads agree that UNC is not going to be in the tournament unless they win the ACC. ORU's NET will be between 65-75 if they lost tonight and the old "They don't have any Q1 wins and this team from a power conference has 6 Q1 wins even though they're only 17-13 on the season."
Probably right as it usually doesn't work out well for smaller schools in these scenarios. Just tough year as far as getting bigger schools scheduled without doing the 2 games on the road and no return. They are at the point with the program and donations where they don't have to do that as much as far as needing the $$. Making the sweet 16 two years ago really helped with that. Amazing how pocket books open up when you do that!:)

Hopefully they can pull it out tonight and won't have to worry about it. Get Abmas healthy for next week and see what happens.

The only thing that is 100 percent is neither of us knows if they will or not. Just like me you are just guessing what will happen. I only stated that I believe they will get in even if they lose tonight. We don’t know what the criteria they are looking at this year as it changes from year to year.

In AAC women's action, Wichita State is up 15 over USF with about 6 minutes left. USF has been turning the ball over left and right in this one. If Wichita State wins the AAC will get 2 teams in the tourney.

Reactions: loca2874
Wichita State takes down USF. USF coach was so disgusted with this starters and their effort, they were basically on the bench the last minute and half. This tournament is wide open now. A team TU could have beaten will win this tournament now.

I agree tend to agree, but wouldn't leave it to chance. With their NET ranking and SOS both in the top 50 coupled with the gaudy record and quality losses it should be a no brainer. However, no one can be accused of saying the NCAA Selection Committee has a brain. Unless your from one of the select conferences, that the talking heads love, and your on the receiving end of the committees gift.

My only complaint is i think you should have to at least finish 500 in your conference if you don't make your conference finals to make the NCAA tourney. Maybe that would help some of the smaller schools get in. Heck who knows what the selection committee is going to do on Sunday!:) Hopefully won't matter!

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
My only complaint is i think you should have to at least finish 500 in your conference if you don't make your conference finals to make the NCAA tourney. Maybe that would help some of the smaller schools get in. Heck who knows what the selection committee is going to do on Sunday!:) Hopefully won't matter!
I agree with you...if you can't finish .500 in your conference what good is it that you play a tough schedule...you lose more games than not against good teams is what that shows.

Reactions: darrenj
I agree with II…ORU showing how important a rim protector is like Vanover. Which is why I’ve been saying that losing Special K very early on was the beginning of the end of our season. We need him next year.

The only thing that is 100 percent is neither of us knows if they will or not. Just like me you are just guessing what will happen. I only stated that I believe they will get in even if they lose tonight. We don’t know what the criteria they are looking at this year as it changes from year to year.

Abmas is a great player. He’s a great shooter and he already has 11 assists tonight.
He is struggling tonight with his knee and not getting much lift.Hopefully the 9 or 10 days off helps him get ready for the tournament.

He is a gamer though. They will miss him when he is gone.

Soon Mills will be gone and Phipps will be their best player.

Reactions: mcane
ORU has a really nice roster. They could win a game or two again if they’re hitting from the outside.
Yeah, I was going on they were a one man show but they've got a lineup of guys who play who can step out and hit a shot and that creates space under the basket for Absmas to get to the rim or dump it to Vanover. Now I will say, Vanover is a horse. If he breaks one of his lower legs, they're gonna have to put him down :)

They're a little better than I gave them credit for. But I don't think a long NCAA run is in the cards. I don't think they defend well enough 1-5 especially against teams that move the ball well. NDSU was a bunch of tomato cans stuck to a spot on the floor...they lost a ton to the portal last year and have NO SENIORS.

I do think if ORU gets a 12 seed they will be one of the sexy 12-5 upset picks.

With their new training facility, I think they’re going to be good for a while. When ORU does well, it usually pushes TU to step up our program. Let’s hope that’s the case again.
I believe it opens up mid April and supposedly very nice. Should help with recruiting. Be interesting to see what Mills does after the season. I would assume he would get a few offers. Lots of seniors on this team and Max will be gone.

Hopefully Tulsa can turn it around the next couple of years and get it going in the right direction. With the right addition in the portal teams can turn it around pretty quickly now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weatherdemon
Yeah, I was going on they were a one man show but they've got a lineup of guys who play who can step out and hit a shot and that creates space under the basket for Absmas to get to the rim or dump it to Vanover. Now I will say, Vanover is a horse. If he breaks one of his lower legs, they're gonna have to put him down :)

They're a little better than I gave them credit for. But I don't think a long NCAA run is in the cards. I don't think they defend well enough 1-5 especially against teams that move the ball well. NDSU was a bunch of tomato cans stuck to a spot on the floor...they lost a ton to the portal last year and have NO SENIORS.

I do think if ORU gets a 12 seed they will be one of the sexy 12-5 upset picks.
If they shoot well i could see them winning a game or maybe 2 depending on matchups. They won't get rattled with all the seniors they have. They have the guard play and of course Vanover to contest shots and help defense. The key with their program was Abmas staying and not going through the portal. Hopefully the days off will allow him to get a little healthy and be ready next week.

Reactions: rusty-c
If they shoot well i could see them winning a game or maybe 2 depending on matchups. They won't get rattled with all the seniors they have. They have the guard play and of course Vanover to contest shots and help defense. The key with their program was Abmas staying and not going through the portal. Hopefully the days off will allow him to get a little healthy and be ready next week.
If they somehow manage to get into an 11 seed vs the 12 seed they are projected at right now, I can see them winning a couple games. Usually there is an 11 seed that manages to get into the Sweet 16 because there is a power conference team who gets a 3 seed and seeded higher than they should be so that a deserving lower conference team isn't given an easier road.

ORU can't have to defend more than 1 guy 6'8" or taller because after Vanover there's not much height for ORU that's super effective defending the post. When he was out of the game yesterday NDSU was licking their chops and were pretty effective at getting good looks underneath...NDSUs biggest problem in those situations was not being able to hit the water from the boat.

If they somehow manage to get into an 11 seed vs the 12 seed they are projected at right now, I can see them winning a couple games. Usually there is an 11 seed that manages to get into the Sweet 16 because there is a power conference team who gets a 3 seed and seeded higher than they should be so that a deserving lower conference team isn't given an easier road.

ORU can't have to defend more than 1 guy 6'8" or taller because after Vanover there's not much height for ORU that's super effective defending the post. When he was out of the game yesterday NDSU was licking their chops and were pretty effective at getting good looks underneath...NDSUs biggest problem in those situations was not being able to hit the water from the boat.
Yep, Vanover needs to stay out of foul trouble. He does a very good job of just standing there with his arms up and not going for ball fakes. They can put 4 shooters on the floor with him and that makes them hard to guard. If they are hitting 3s and not turning the ball over they will be a handful for sure.

I bet NDSU big guy Grant Nelson will be in the portal within 2 weeks.

ORU’s NET is up to 38. Could see them getting an 11 seed if they can hold in the 30s.

Yep, Vanover needs to stay out of foul trouble. He does a very good job of just standing there with his arms up and not going for ball fakes. They can put 4 shooters on the floor with him and that makes them hard to guard. If they are hitting 3s and not turning the ball over they will be a handful for sure.

I bet NDSU big guy Grant Nelson will be in the portal within 2 weeks.
Was that the dude with the hair? He could play and had some game but was way overmatched and overshadowed by Vanover.

Was that the dude with the hair? He could play and had some game but was way overmatched and overshadowed by Vanover.
They have 2 of them. Neither of them were effective last night. They aren't used to playing guys like that in that conference. Was a down year in the conference and ORU took full advantage of it.

They have 2 of them. Neither of them were effective last night. They aren't used to playing guys like that in that conference. Was a down year in the conference and ORU took full advantage of it.
Yeah, all of NDSU's big farm boys up and transferred out after last season. They had NO SENIORS.

Day 10 of Conference Tournaments

Southland– March 5-8

Southland – Finals– Lake Charles, LA

TeamRatingTeamRatingTimeTV
Northwestern St.200atA&M-Corpus Christi1804:00 p.m.ESPN2

Patriot League– Feb. 28, March 2, 5, 8

Patriot League – Finals – Campus Sites

Lafayette271atColgate996:30 p.m.CBSSN

Big Sky– March 4-8

Big Sky – Finals– Boise, ID

Northern Ariz.228atMontana St.10310:30 p.m.ESPN2

MEAC– March 8-11

MEAC – First Round – Norfolk, VA

South Carolina St.344atHoward2265:00 p.m.ESPN+
Delaware St.354atN.C. Central1867:00 p.m.ESPN+

SWAC– March 8-11

SWAC – First Round – Birmingham, AL

Bethune-Cookman348atGrambling1782:00 p.m.ESPN+
Texas Southern314atAlcorn2418:30 p.m.ESPN+

Big 12– March 8-11

Big 12 – First Round – Kansas city

Texas Tech55atWest Virginia256:00 p.m.ESPNU
Oklahoma65atOklahoma St.438:30 p.m.ESPNU

Mountain West– March 8-11

Mountain West – First Round – Las Vegas, NV

Fresno St.147atColorado St.1101:00 p.m.MW NET
Air Force150atUNLV903:30 p.m.MW NET
Wyoming171atNew Mexico506:00 p.m.MW NET

Big East– March 8-11

Big East – First Round – New York, NY

Butler130atSt. John's (NY)972:00 p.m.FS1
Depaul172atSeton Hall754:30 p.m.FS1
Georgetown237atVillanova807:00 p.m.FS1

MAAC– March 7-11

MAAC – Second Round – Atlantic City, NJ

Mount St. Mary's267atIona666:00 p.m.ESPN+
Saint Peter's307atRider2128:30 p.m.ESPN+

CUSA– March 8-11

CUSA – First Round – Frisco, TX

UTEP187atWestern Ky.1755:30 p.m.ESPN+
Louisiana Tech166atFIU2178:00 p.m.ESPN+
UTSA289atRice1958:30 p.m.ESPN+

ACC– March 7-11

ACC– Second Round – Greensboro, NC

Wake Forest91atSyracuse12611:00 a.m.ESPN
Georgia Tech176atPittsburgh571:30 p.m.ESPN
Boston College162atNorth Carolina496:00 p.m.ESPN2
Virginia Tech70atNC State418:30 p.m.ESPN2

PAC-12– March 8-11

PAC-12 – First Round – Las Vegas, NV

Colorado72atWashington1212:00 p.m.PAC12
California312atWashington St.694:30 p.m.PAC12
Stanford98atUtah768:00 p.m.PAC12
Oregon St.221atArizona St.6210:30 p.m.PAC12

Atlantic 10– March 7-9, 11-12

Atlantic 10 – Second Round – Brooklyn, NY

St. Bonaventure190atDavidson14810:30 a.m.USA NET
Richmond153atGeorge Mason1321:00 p.m.USA NET
Saint Joseph's209atGeorge Washington2054:00 p.m.USA NET
La Salle233atDuquesne1236:30 p.m.USA NET

BIG 10– March 8-11

Big 10 – First Round – Chicago, IL

Ohio St.63atWisconsin785:30 p.m.BTN
Minnesota231atNebraska928:00 p.m.BTN

Check back each day for new updates

Automatic Qualifiers

SE. Missouri St.Fairleigh DickinsonUNC AshevilleDrake
Kennesaw St.LouisianaFurmanNorthern Kentucky
College of CharlestonGonzagaOral Roberts

Looking for an at Large Bid – These are the top NET teams that have not receive the automatic

HoustonKansas St.IllinoisNorth Carolina
AlabamaArkansasMemphisNew Mexico
TennesseeKentuckyMiami (FL)Providence
UCLAIowa St.NevadaCol. of Charleston
PurdueUtah St.IowaMichigan
UConnXavierNorthwesternTexas Tech
KansasTexas A&MNorth TexasPenn St.
Saint Mary's (CA)West VirginiaRutgersUAB
GonzagaDukeNC StatePittsburgh
TexasMarylandOral RobertsFlorida
ArizonaBoise St.Oklahoma St.Sam Houston
BaylorTCULibertyClemson
MarquetteIndianaSouthern CaliforniaYale
CreightonVirginiaMississippi St.Ohio St.
Fla. AtlanticMichigan St.OregonIona
San Diego St.AuburnMissouriArizona St.

NET is too high for a 14 or 15. You are correct about the 11 though.
Will take the 11 or 12 either will be fine!:) No way they fall to 14 or 15 i would think.

I believe you are an OSU fan right? Is Boynton feeling any heat on his job? Saw they have a really solid recruiting class coming in next season.

Will take the 11 or 12 either will be fine!:) No way they fall to 14 or 15 i would think.

I believe you are an OSU fan right? Is Boynton feeling any heat on his job? Saw they have a really solid recruiting class coming in next season.
If he’s not feeling heat he should be. Boynton is a great guy. He’s even a better ambassador for the school. He’s also a very good recruiter. Unfortunately he appear to be a lousy basketball coach. I assume he’s built up enough goodwill to get another year. Now if he gets blown out today against OU all that goodwill goes out the window. We will see.

If he’s not feeling heat he should be. Boynton is a great guy. He’s even a better ambassador for the school. He’s also a very good recruiter. Unfortunately he appear to be a lousy basketball coach. I assume he’s built up enough goodwill to get another year. Now if he gets blown out today against OU all that goodwill goes out the window. We will see.
OU job will be interesting after the season as Proser is begging for the Notre Dame job. If OU opens up i could see Mills as a candidate.

IMO, the only way they get an 11 is if they’re in the first four. My guess is 14 or 15.
They cannot be in the 1st four unless they are a 16 seed...and if they are a 14/15 there will be some uproar from talking heads, especially if their NET stays 38 or higher...which should put them in 9-10 range. Look, I have a certain disdain for ORU, not because of their basketball team but an inside knowledge of the corrupt power inside the university. I will call it like it is for ORU and I was wrong about predicting them to lose yesterday expecting them to just be flat. It's hard to have a 17 game winning streak and maintain a certain quality every single time out. They have. They have now earned the right to be rewarded for that and not stuck as some whipping boy for some power conference team. No 6-8 seed wants any part of ORU. Heck I'm not sure any 3 seed or below wants any part of ORU right now. The only team that handled them easily this season was the #1 team in the country. And as we have all seen in recent years the quality gap after the #1 seeds dramatically decreases. #2 seeds are no longer unbeatable and the % of 3 seeds losing grows every year. The gaps between seeds 5 and 14 is more narrow now than ever before. Honestly if the NCAA wants to get rid of them before the Sweet 16 they'll make them a 9 seed. They might win that first game but I don't think ORU can beat Houston, UCLA, Kansas, or Purdue (wouldn't that be a hell of a sight, 7'4" Zach Edey vs 7'5" Connor Vanover). You know what else might be fun, a matchup between Gonzaga (6 seed) vs ORU (11) seed in the 1st round. And since the NCAA hates mid majors staying in too long, they like to pair them up early.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
They cannot be in the 1st four unless they are a 16 seed..
Well, that is wrong as the teams that go to Dayton play for a 16 seed and the 11 seed. The 16 seeds shouldn't play in Dayton. The 11 and 12 seed should as those are your bubble type teams. the 16 seeds consist of conference champs, and they should be guaranteed a spot in the field of 64 but they are not.

Zags vs ORU would be fun but I expect the Zags to be on the 2 line. 3 at worst. Their NET is #6

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT