ADVERTISEMENT

CHAMP WEEK

Number when I was helping Prof. set the traveling rosters was 30, minus the director. Seems that that hadn't changed when I did the band liaison thing when the NCAA's were last in Tulsa. I can tell you that we bused to St. Louis for the Valley Tournament games and when we played the first couple of rounds of the NCAA in OKC, but flew to Dallas. The Valley stuff was a donation, but the NCAA's were part of the tournament expenses that I believe were handled by the NCAA.
NCAA's were a bit different. Prof invited me to go to KC in 1997 (?) in KC but I already had Spring Break plans (rarity). He said "If you want to go the bus leaves at 7am on ..."

I am having a good feeling about today. The only games we have won were at home or a neutral court. I say we have a chance lol.

Texas beat OSU 60-47. OSU shot 27% from the field, 15% from 3. But hey, it’s another quad one loss, so 18-15 gets them a bid per Joe Lunardi.

Last edited:
So I am headed to New York on vacation with the family so I will not be able to do my updates for the rest of champ week. I get back in town on Wednesday before the round of 64. I plan to make an NCAA tournament thread.

It’s been a rough year but after that loss yesterday I need a rest from basketball till the tournament.

Reactions: darrenj
When you win 30 games and don't lose a conference game you are never going to be in the play in game. 11 or 12 seed as they should be. Not sure how they are an embarrassment as seem to represent the city pretty well.
Why don’t you go back to the ORU board where you belong?

• Haha
Agreed.

Congrats on your season, but no one here cares one iota about ORU. Enjoy the run now and you'll be back down to earth soon. Bye.

Also, please stop the creepy letting people dance on the court during timeouts. It's bushleague and weird.

• Haha
Thought you would enjoy some basketball talk. I don't remember saying anything derogatory towards the Tulsa program unlike your responses. Heck, I grew up in Tulsa playing at different places with most of Nolan Richardson's players and always rooted for them as a program. You seem a little bitter about something.

Reactions: loca2874
Agreed.

Congrats on your season, but no one here cares one iota about ORU. Enjoy the run now and you'll be back down to earth soon. Bye.

Also, please stop the creepy letting people dance on the court during timeouts. It's bushleague and weird.
I appreciate your congratulations and hope TU can get it turned around quickly. Has been a very nice run in the last few years and hopefully they can keep it going.

Seems like all the responses on here would indicate some level of interest in basketball talk overall. Maybe just not interesting to you. That is ok to each his own.

I didn't see any people dancing during timeouts in conference tourney and didn't go to home games so can't comment on that.

Houston up 45-34 on ECU with 10 left in the 2nd half. They were tied at 21 at half and I believe I saw flames coming out Sampson's eyes and the spit collecting on his mouth after the screaming he did. Houston looked like their alarm clocks didn't wake them up this AM. ECU is being scrappy but not terribly efficient. I think this is more Houston not believing they needed to bring the best effort to win this game and they're doing just enough based on pure talent to win the game.

I appreciate your congratulations and hope TU can get it turned around quickly. Has been a very nice run in the last few years and hopefully they can keep it going.

Seems like all the responses on here would indicate some level of interest in basketball talk overall. Maybe just not interesting to you. That is ok to each his own.

I didn't see any people dancing during timeouts in conference tourney and didn't go to home games so can't comment on that.
Don’t sweat the cranky folks.

So far no real upsets. I don't consider 9 seed ECU over 8 seed USF an upset. Tulane up 6 at the half, as the last of the top 4 seeds to go to the semifinals. So rather boring tourney as far as that goes.

There are a bunch of sad UConn fans at my hotel. I was wearing my Tulsa hoodie and they were like “Tulsa! What are y’all doing out here”. I told him I live in the DC area and I am on vacation with my family. Lol. He said it made sense lol

Reactions: nevadanatural
That's great! I plan to take the family there Wed for spring break.
We are here for spring break as well. We were going to our hotel and I was like the championship is tonight and she was like well get you a ticket. I was like “ say less”. So I walked the 2 blocks to the garden!

We are here for spring break as well. We were going to our hotel and I was like the championship is tonight and she was like well get you a ticket. I was like “ say less”. So I walked the 2 blocks to the garden!
We are staying downtown.

Memphis positioned to take over as the marquee basketball program in the AAC with the departure of Houston ?
Wojcik complained about Memphis keeping him from getting a big time head coaching job 5 years in a row. Those two 26 year old 6th year players ( Williams, Davis) are the difference, not Penny. I don’t think they will take their 7th year of eligibility (COVID). 😂

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Wojcik complained about Memphis keeping him from getting a big time head coaching job 5 years in a row. Those two 26 year old 6th year players ( Williams, Davis) are the difference, not Penny. I don’t think they will take their 7th year of eligibility (COVID). 😂
They will struggle next year due to youth. However, talent shouldn’t be an issue. They just signed five 4* kids with four in the top 70 nationally.

ORU got hosed. They got the one 5-seed no one wanted to play in Duke who is on a roll and I watched them play Virginia on Saturday, and Duke is a real threat to make the final four. Any of the other #5 seeds and you could legit see ORU winning and moving on. I don't see ORU beating Duke. Matter of fact, I don't think the game will be close to be honest. Duke starts 2 bugs and they can both play. Pretty sure Vanover can only guard one of them.

Houston might not do as much as anticipated if Sasser can't play.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
ORU got hosed. They got the one 5-seed no one wanted to play in Duke who is on a roll and I watched them play Virginia on Saturday, and Duke is a real threat to make the final four. Any of the other #5 seeds and you could legit see ORU winning and moving on. I don't see ORU beating Duke. Matter of fact, I don't think the game will be close to be honest. Duke starts 2 bugs and they can both play. Pretty sure Vanover can only guard one of them.

Houston might not do as much as anticipated if Sasser can't play.
Agree that ORU got hosed. Duke is playing like a 2 or 3 seed. Their freshmen took a while to get going, but now they’re playing very well. They start two 7’ freshmen who are really good. I think Duke could be a Final Four team. Very tough break for a good ORU team.

They will struggle next year due to youth. However, talent shouldn’t be an issue. They just signed five 4* kids with four in the top 70 nationally.
Memphis has never had a shortage of talent just a shortage of coaching. The big difference between prior teams and this team is Kendrick Davis. Without him this would have been another also ran season. Their previous point guards could either shoot or handle but not both and they didn’t play D, Davis is fully rounded and the piece they’ve been needing.

Awful matchup for ORU. Duke’s size will give them fits
They will really have to shoot the ball well to have a chance. I think they will struggle rebounding the ball and stopping them on the inside. If Vanover can step out and hit a couple of 3s that will certainly help open it up and of course if Max can get hot they can hang in there and try to steal it in the 2nd half.

They will really have to shoot the ball well to have a chance. I think they will struggle rebounding the ball and stopping them on the inside. If Vanover can step out and hit a couple of 3s that will certainly help open it up and of course if Max can get hot they can hang in there and try to steal it in the 2nd half.
They will take Max out of the equation. They have to get another threat or they will be toast. When they beat Ohio State they had Obanor put up 30 as well. The rest of the team didn’t do much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT