ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Projections

I don’t think the committee will give them that much love with their schedule vs ours
Let's hope you are right.(I agree with you) But crazier things have happened with all the bias involved with those that choose. Huffy's opinion on that is not a crazy thing to say.

Reactions: loca2874
This projection appears to include Cincy in the playoff and C Carolina outside the Top 12, if im reading it right.

seems difficult to evaluate teams whan some could play only 4 or 5 games while other 9 or 10.

Hardly any games out of conference this year.

So no true measure of SOS. All bias and eye test.

Other projections:

ESPN (2 predictors)

First Responder Bowl vs Virginia
Armed Forces Bowl vs TCU
One pays $825,000 and the other $1.3 million.

The distance between those two is losing to Houston and/or Navy.

Every game matters from here on out. It’s our own playoff, even if we don’t get invited to the big one.

Anyone know if the bowl money goes to the school or split across the conference?

After travel expenses are paid I believe.
It’s a weird formula that’s supposedly public but nobody really knows what the formula is. For instance, UCF and USF created booster run organizations, in part, to hide the details of the broadcast and bowl payouts.

What we do know: we get around $1.2 million for sitting on the couch. That’s our share of the playoff money and the AAC bowl pool combined. Judging by other conferences who do make bowl payouts public, you get a minimum of about $175,000 in cash if you don’t bowl in the AAC, depending on how many teams in the AAC bowl that year. Looking at the publicly reported payouts from the state schools, and some of the other publicly available information from our friends at Memphis. It seems we get an equal share plus an equally divided fraction of the payout amongst those that actually bowl, plus a certain amount depending on what bowl you are in, except NY6 participants who get to keep additional amounts. That’s how UCF gets $7.2 million after losing to LSU, teams like SMU gets $3 million and we get in the ballpark of $1.2 million. The point being, there is a substantial gap in what we will see if we end up having to go bowl at SMU instead of to Fort Worth or Atlanta.

Last edited:
Athlon Sports:
First Responder Bowl vs North Texas

Don’t be shocked if the Armed Forces Bowl matches up TCU/SMU since their game was cancelled this year.

First Responder may be a likely destination at this point.

Athlon Sports:
First Responder Bowl vs North Texas

Don’t be shocked if the Armed Forces Bowl matches up TCU/SMU since their game was cancelled this year.

First Responder may be a likely destination at this point.
If we are ranked with 2 losses, I doubt Birmingham or Gasparilla let’s ServePro have us. But there’s a good chance you are right.

If we are ranked with 2 losses, I doubt Birmingham or Gasparilla let’s ServePro have us. But there’s a good chance you are right.

I found this on one of the projection sites: "The American Athletic Conference doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowls matchups are based on best possible games and geography."

If this is correct, don't be surprised if it's Houston to Frisco, SMU to Ft Worth and us to Dallas.

I found this on one of the projection sites: "The American Athletic Conference doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowls matchups are based on best possible games and geography."

If this is correct, don't be surprised if it's Houston to Frisco, SMU to Ft Worth and us to Dallas.
Then explain how we got the Miami beach bowl with Wetern Michigan

Yes, I knew that.
Translation: “What’s best for TV and the financial risk of the bowls will decide. We will send people to the best matchups based on who the P5s send to our bowl with those tie ins.” 6-6 Tulane won’t be playing South Carolina or whoever due to geography and our desire to play in Texas. That just won’t happen if we are ranked. If we are unranked, all bets are off.

Exactly. That’s exactly how we got the Beach Bowl, which we didn’t want. It was remote and the lowest payout and during the day. But as I recall, there were scheduling pressures with other teams that were ranked that the conference wanted paired for TV. I think it was Memphis playing Florida in Birmingham. So we were stuck with the leftovers. I was cool with it. It cost us money but the players loved it.

• Wow

They had to send us somewhere. The AAC only had one Texas based bowl that season (Armed Forces) and it went to Navy. Can't disagree with that pick.

This season, I anticipate that fans will only go to games that can be done in a single day. I sure don't want to stay over in a hotel somewhere. I've got a feeling that they'll try to place teams as close to home as possible.

Yes, I knew that.
Translation: “What’s best for TV and the financial risk of the bowls will decide. We will send people to the best matchups based on who the P5s send to our bowl with those tie ins.” 6-6 Tulane won’t be playing South Carolina or whoever due to geography and our desire to play in Texas. That just won’t happen if we are ranked. If we are unranked, all bets are off.
With Covid, I'm betting they try to keep teams even closer to home than normal.

Reactions: HuffyCane
They had to send us somewhere. The AAC only had one Texas based bowl that season (Armed Forces) and it went to Navy. Can't disagree with that pick.

This season, I anticipate that fans will only go to games that can be done in a single day. I sure don't want to stay over in a hotel somewhere. I've got a feeling that they'll try to place teams as close to home as possible.
Jinx on you.

With Covid, I'm betting they try to keep teams even closer to home than normal.
They won’t commit to wanting local, but any time you can put the kids on 6 buses instead of one plane, I’m sure Janet will want. But that won’t matter if we are ranked.

Exactly. That’s exactly how we got the Beach Bowl, which we didn’t want. It was remote and the lowest payout and during the day. But as I recall, there were scheduling pressures with other teams that were ranked that the conference wanted paired for TV. I think it was Memphis playing Florida in Birmingham. So we were stuck with the leftovers. I was cool with it. It cost us money but the players loved it.
Boggling my mind

If not Atlanta for the big payday, I'm fine with Ft. Worth and Dallas, in that order. Prefer to pay a P5 team rather than Marshall, ugh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT