ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance Concerns?

Also, I can't for the life of me how anyone could hate on the band. It's the best it's been in YEARS. They have 134 members according to their Facebook page, which is the most they've head in years, numbers wise, too.

In no way was I "hating" on the band... I was in it, I know how it feels to have no one appreciate your hard work. I was simply making a suggestion about the size of the band as it relates to other schools.

Did OU not come to Tulsa because the stadium was small? If I had to bet, the stadium size never came up in the contract negotiations. I know what did come up - the size of the check they'd receive.

We also didn't sell that game out, either. Why? It was forecasted for rain and it was on TV.

Our stadium size matters little in our scheduling. We paid NCA&T over $300k to come here. I bet we didn't pay Miami or A&M that much in 1991. Yes, I know that's been a lot of years. I was at both of those games and neither was sold out when the stadium seated 40k. Both of those games weren't on TV as I recall, but I could be wrong there.

The problem is that no P5 schools are playing @G5's anymore. Arkansas wouldn't come here at any price. Not sure about KU and KSU - it seems like it would be a good trip for them, especially considering how many of KSU's best players come from this area. KU is arguably worse than most of the teams in our conference anyway. Would we like to get Michigan here? Sure? Will it ever happen? No. They could just schedule a 7th home game against anyone and make millions more of their ticket sales.

Laziness is a major problem. To sit at home, when you're interested in the program enough to watch the game and have no other excuse, is just inexcusable.

I disagree with this completely. It's not about guilting people into attending games like they owe something to TU.

It is about making them appealing enough to not want to miss in person.

Actually how big a check we can write is directly related to our stadium size as it relates to revenue. Sorry to poke a giant hole in your theory but OU doesnt play TU for TU, it plays it for its Tulsa Alumni and fans. While OSU is more arguable the same is true for it as well. The reason the game didnt sell out was the jacked up ticket price for that game.

The miami game wasn't on tv, but pretty sure the AnM was.

When was the last time we had some other P5 here? I guaruntee it was from a contract we signed before we announced the new stadium.

Hmmm, I would wager that for those games (OU, OSU, Miami, Iowa, AnM) we exceeded 35,000 when we didnt sell out. Simple math says 8,000 extra seats multiplied by 20 equals 160,000 extra dollars to throw down on a game, while spending little in the difference of upkeep and maintenance. It also ensures the program has solid attendance numbers (always an issue when living alums barely equal stadium seating) by having a big time home game every year. You dont think we could also get that for say Houston? Or Memphis if they continie to maintain? Navy is always a solid draw. Our conference is giving us an opportunity we have never had (consitant solid programs to play against every year) and we cant put together a decent out of conference to help build a following and increase our attendance.

Did I say Michigan? The OSU, Texas? Alabama, USC, Stanford? No, because that is a dream but not a requirement. Low level P5's will work, look at Memphis getting KU at home for a perfect example of what I mean. There are enough regional schools for us to pull from that dont require year in year out play to attract casual TU fan interest. Some may bring their own fans or even have local alum who will help fill the stadium and make a great experience.

Any more its not the product on the field that is the problem. Its the product off the field. That product is dreadful. When that happens you wind up with a stadium half to less than half full on a constant basis.

The current scheduling was Grahams philosophy.
1 FCS, 2 G5's, 1 P5.

For P5's we need the KU's and Iowa states. B12 teams that would generate local interest.
Hell, Baylor, TCU, Kansas St would be great draws if we could get them.

Arizona St would generate interest while Graham is there.

BYU or Boise draw great for G5's.

North Texas travels well when they're doing well.

I like Bowling Green and La Tech too.

The current scheduling was Grahams philosophy.
1 FCS, 2 G5's, 1 P5.

For P5's we need the KU's and Iowa states. B12 teams that would generate local interest.
Hell, Baylor, TCU, Kansas St would be great draws if we could get them.

Arizona St would generate interest while Graham is there.

BYU or Boise draw great for G5's.

North Texas travels well when they're doing well.

I like Bowling Green and La Tech too.

You were doing great, then you lost me at North Texas then BG and la tech. Others mention prior would sell well.

Generating interest is kind of a catch 22... people need a reason to be interested.

We need something spectacular to capture the interest of fans, media, casual observers.

Nolan did it by racking up 100 points a game...

Perhaps the football team should follow that lead...easily we could have scored 100 plus on both San Jose and NCAT.... not classy , I admit, but running out of room on the scoreboard would get you more than 30 seconds on the sports blitz and a prolonged mention on sports center.

You were doing great, then you lost me at North Texas then BG and la tech. Others mention prior would sell well.

BG and and La Tech would be good if they're doing thus being mentioned last. Definitely last on my list though.
UNT is a nice 1:1 for both sets of fans and if they are doing well, they'll bring a few thousand.

BG and and La Tech would be good if they're doing thus being mentioned last. Definitely last on my list though.
UNT is a nice 1:1 for both sets of fans and if they are doing well, they'll bring a few thousand.

Only problem with saying if a team is doing well, is that you usually schedule 3-6 year's in advance.

Reactions: TU_BLA
UNT, Rice, CSU, New Mexico, NM State, UTEP, Marshall, USM would all be good G5 non conference games.

As far as P5, KU, KSU, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Vandy, Wake Forest, Colorado, Baylor, Tech, Duke, maybe Nebraska would all be ideal.

For what it's worth, as an out of state alum and big TU fan, I follow every game and watch them all online when I can't attend in person. I pick 1 or 2 games a season to watch in person, which has to justify a 6 hour road trip each way, a night at the downtown doubletree and dinner / breakfast the next day. The only 2 games on the schedule this year that I'd even consider attending due to the opponent piquing some "minimum interest threshold" are ECU and Cincinnati. Now that's an out of town fan who spent 15 years in Tulsa with a degree from TU. I'm not sure if folks living in town with a 6 minute commute feel any different than I do when it comes to the opponents we're playing. And to see a cupcake like NCA&T (the ref called them NCA&M during the game) who I've never even heard of on our schedule tells me our athletic director doesn't have the skills or network in place to schedule upper echelon opponents. This team used to play better opponents when we were independents than we do now... BYU, Miami, A&M, TCU, Arkansas, Missouri, etc.

I know we haven't beat Arkansas since Elvis sang at ORU on America's bicentennial--and we were the victim of questionable calls our last trip out there in 2012 which could've been a win if we had a decent kicker back then, but THOSE are the sorts of opponents that spark the interest of casual fans to invest emotionally in the team. Home or away, getting fans vested emotionally regarding wins and losses is how you grow the fan base. That's how fans in Norman feel about their team. They don't have gimmicks, or DJs, or jupiter jumps for kids, they have fans who's attitude for the week rests on the outcome of the score and the pride they emote when their team wins and the ire they spit when their team gets beat.

UNT, Rice, CSU, New Mexico, NM State, UTEP, Marshall, USM would all be good G5 non conference games.

As far as P5, KU, KSU, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Vandy, Wake Forest, Colorado, Baylor, Tech, Duke, maybe Nebraska would all be ideal.

The P5 suggestions are spot on. The CUSA teams will result in piss poor attendance. I'd rather see us play Appalachian state or NDSU (giant killers) than Rice or lowly north Texas.

Playing school that have an alumni presence near Tulsa; KU, Ksu, osu, OU, la tech, Ark, Colorado st, texas schools,

Perhaps the football team should follow that lead...easily we could have scored 100 plus on both San Jose and NCAT.... not classy , I admit, but running out of room on the scoreboard would get you more than 30 seconds on the sports blitz and a prolonged mention on sports center.

The TG strategy. Seemed to work for the most part

The TG strategy. Seemed to work for the most part

No one reads box scores these days. Sure we beat the dog freak out of those teams, but the scoreboard didn't show it and the headlines weren't eye catching...

Big scores and YouTube highlights will generate more interest.

I've never been a fan of the spread offense because it's not football... but if you are gonna run it, don't call the dogs off. Beat a team like they should be beaten and make no apologies.

A two minute YouTube video of 12 touchdown passes would sell more tickets than a page 3 headline about a strong effort in a 58-21 win.

I think North Texas, BG, and LA Tech would be great 1:1 games to replace the FCS games on the home schedule.

But we have to have payday games in Tulsa to balance out the lopsided money games we've got on our away schedules. It's impossible to balance out the difference with 1:1s...

We're gong to see more and more FCS opponents on the home schedule to balance out the 2 for 1's with OU and OSU and the 1 game road contracts with Ohio State, Texas, Ole Miss, etc.

The conference would have to expand to a 9 game schedule to alleviate this situation.

The P5 suggestions are spot on. The CUSA teams will result in piss poor attendance. I'd rather see us play Appalachian state or NDSU (giant killers) than Rice or lowly north Texas.

UNT is good for us because we recruit their backyard heavily and it's close by so it's an easy trip for fans / alumni of both schools.

No one reads box scores these days. Sure we beat the dog freak out of those teams, but the scoreboard didn't show it and the headlines weren't eye catching...

Big scores and YouTube highlights will generate more interest.

I've never been a fan of the spread offense because it's not football... but if you are gonna run it, don't call the dogs off. Beat a team like they should be beaten and make no apologies.

A two minute YouTube video of 12 touchdown passes would sell more tickets than a page 3 headline about a strong effort in a 58-21 win.

I agree with you that it works. I don't know how I'd feel about doing it, but putting 77 on UTEP in 08 definitely raised our profile no question.

Ideas. I'm full of em'
How about inviting any TU band alum to participate in the fight song on the field... there are probably hundreds that might come for that...

Also... how about honoring anyone that has ever been a member of a TU team to stand in a certain area on the field at halftime....

I agree with you that it works. I don't know how I'd feel about doing it, but putting 77 on UTEP in 08 definitely raised our profile no question.

Didn't say it was right... just that if you want to draw curiosity seekers then 80 points are better than 35.

Having a qb in the heismann conversation because of gaudy numbers is a good thing...

Reactions: TU_BLA
The problem I have is with the scheduling strategy in general. For instance, we played NC A@T last week and both OU and OSU also had home games scheduled. So the obvious response from most fans was "who cares?" about our game compared to theirs. So IMO lets try to schedule home games when at least one of the two of them (or both) are on the road. Then schedule away games when both of them are back home playing on the same day

This week we will be on the road to Fresno. But OU will be off (open) and OSU will be in Waco (Baylor). So there isn't a single major college game being played in the state.. This would be the perfect Saturday for a TU home game.

Last edited:
Forget about 2 for 1 deals.

Play an occasional payola game at a historic venue. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas if we need the budget $. How about Bama, USC, Florida State in the coming decades?

Focus on getting 1 for 1 deals with folks like Vandy, KU, Illinois, Indiana, Texas Tech - whoever will play.

Focus the rest on good MWC programs and limit the FCS opponents to no more than 3 per decade.

Right after we bought out the contract last time for a money game.

But sometimes when personnel change attitudes change too.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Numbers that tell the tale:

*1996* 4-7
OOC: #19 Iowa (27,800) @OU @Ok St.
In conference: #18 BYU 34,600 Colo St (25,000)

*1997* 2-9 No ranked opponents
OOC: Missouri (40,000) @Iowa @Cinnci
In conference two opponents 19,000

$1998$ 4-7 2No ranked opponents
OOC: SW Missouri State (24,000) Ok St (40,385) @ West Virginia
In conference: Air Force (21,000)

1999 2-9 Rader fired after game 8
OOC: SW Missouri State (25,000) Lou Monroe (15,000) @Ok St @#7 Texas AnM
In conference: #11 TCU (20,000)

$2000$ 5-7 Burns first year
OOC: Ok St (40,385) LaTech (17,600) @North Carolina @New Mexico St
In conference:#11 Fresno St (31,000)

2001 1-10
OOC: Indiana St (20,000) New Mexico St (17,000) @#3 OU
In conference: #11 Fresno St (31,000)

*$2002$* Burns Fired/Resigns end of season
OOC: OU (40,385) KU (17,900) @Arkansas St @Baylor
In conference: SJSU and Boise St (15,000) Highest attendance

2003 8-5 Kragthorpe's first season
OOC: Texas St (35,800) Arkansas St (16,000) @Minnesota @Arkansas
In Conference: La Tech 28,000 (I believe the win insured we recieved a bowl bid)

2004 4-8
OOC: SW Missouri St 17,900 Navy (23,600) @Kansas @Ok St
In conference: #18 Boise St (20,800) #24 UTEP (10,900) last game of the season (we won)

*2005* 9-4 Liberty Bowl
Minnesota (33,410) ESPN Thurs night game @North Texas @OU
In conference: every game was 20,000+ except Houston (15,500)

2006 8-5
OOC: Stephen F Austin (23,000) North Texas (22,000) @BYU @Navy
In conference: UTEP 28,000 the attendance steadily falls after breaking win streak with lost at Houston. Rice (18,000) a loss Tulane (15,000)

Chapman Field at Skelly Stadium Renovation

*$2007$* 10-4 GMAC Bowl Graham's first year. No ranked opponents
OOC: BYU (24,500) OU (¤35,542) @Lou Monroe @Army
In Conference: Houston (25,400)

2008 11-3 GMAC Bowl Defeat only ranked opponent #22 Ball St.
OOC: New Mexico (¤30,000) Central Arkansas (20,000) @North Texas @Arkasas
In Conference: UCF (¤30,000) all games were 22,000 plus. The Conference USA championship game 22,000 vs ECU

*2009* 5-7
OOC: #5 Boise St (¤30,000) Sam Houston (26,000) @#12 OU @New Mexico
In conference: #13 Houston (20,000) which was roughly our home conference avg attendance.

2010 10-3 Sheraton Hawaii Bowl. Graham leaves at end of season. Only season we finished ranked (#24)
OOC: Bowling Green (19,500) Central Arkansas (21,900) @Ok St @Notre Dame
In conference: Rice (19,000) next game after upset of ND on national TV (TU record 5-3), our attendance continues down. 7-3 vs UTEP (16,547) 8-3 Southern Miss (21,900 on senior day)

$2011$ 8-5 Armed Forces Bowl Blankenship's first year
OOC: #7Ok St (24,563??) North Texas (21,200) @#1 OU @#4 Boise St
In conference: #5 Houston (⊙29,000) after a 5 game win streak Marshall (17,600)

2012 11-3 Liberty Bowl
OOC: Nichols St (19,100) Fresno St (24,200) @Iowa St @Arkansas
In conference: Rice (22,500) conference home attendance below 20,000 avg. UCF (19,000) UCF championship game (17,000).

*2013* 3-9
OOC: Colorado St (22,800) Iowa St (20,100) @#14 OU @Bowling Green
In conference: Attendance drops from 20,000-17,000

$2014$ 2-10 Blankenship fired end of season
OOC: #4 OU (⊙29,357) Texas St (21,300) @Florida Atlantic @Colorado St
In conference: Tulane (19,000) home conference avg attendance roughly 17,000

2015 6-7 Monty's first year
OOC: Florida Antlantic (24,000) Louisana Monroe (17,400) @#16 OU @New Mexico
In conference: Houston (17,100) not ranked, but recieving votes #17 Memphis (20,200) UCF (16,100) #16 Navy (22,700)

$ = Home money game (OU or Ok St at home)
* = Home game vs P5 team or G5 top team (BYU, TCU before Big XII, Boise St, Houston when not on our schedule are examples)
¤ = Blatant lie, the max size of Chapman is 28,000ish
⊙ = Possibly true, again Chapman is 28,000ish

Right after we bought out the contract last time for a money game.

But sometimes when personnel change attitudes change too.

Good point Doc. At least T Tech had time to find an FCS replacement.

One time, we cancelled on Bowling Green so late that they had to play a game short that year. They've scheduled us since.

Things I immediately noticed when looking at the data.

2011 and 2015 may have been the hardest schedules TU has ever had. While 2011 was mostly non-conference, last year our conference brought the wood. It is definitely a stronger league than anyone we have been in before.

I chose 1996 because it gives us a decade before and then after the Chapman renovation.

We have a real problem in getting P5 teams here (excluding OU and OSU) since the stadium down size, most of our added value games seem to be BYU/Boise types (which are games I like).

North Texas seems to provide some steady numbers in attendance. The Louisana and Arkansas schools dont seem to do a lot for us.

I expected Houston to be higher in average attendance but there have been some stinkers in there as well as some big ones. UCF despite being a good series on the field doesn't draw much fan interest.

Playing FCS teams for our home opener gives us the best return and attendance on those games, which is true of all our home openers.

I would suggest the first home opener be on a Thursday (if no school next day) or Friday. Our first home game is usually one of our best attended no matter who we play. Not scheduling it against OU or Ok St as well as having it as the only game in the country most likely, will jack the numbers up. This also gives us a chance to snag an OU or OSU fan and anyone who isn't close to their favorite team (Michigan, Texas, LSU, etc fans in area). Put a BYU, Boise St, Houston opponent (known and beatable by public perception) and you probably have a sell out and the opportunity to capture heart and minds.

Win streaks and big wins build momentum and interest but won't do it by themselves according to past history. We have to have a draw, making this team the city's team seems to be the best way. Development of the games as the place to be is also good although it will not build the depth of connection to the team/school that making TU the hometown team would.

Last edited:
One key point when looking at yearly attendance figures: Since joining the AAC every TU home game is available on TV or ESPN3 for free. Before that you had to purchase non TV games (we usually only had a few each year) on CBS College Sports package at ~$100 a year to watch home games. I think individual game broadcast was probably more than an end zone ticket.

That would effect our out area fans I think more. However I will grant that there have been a lot more games on regular tv lately and that may have an effect on our numbers. Its hard to confirm though as both Minn, Boise St, and some well attended Houston games were broadcast (before the AAC though). Also I think many of those games fell on non-saturdays when broadcast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT