ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance Concerns?

That is reserved for Oktoberfest / homecoming.
Oktoberfest is sixteen day event that typically starts in mid-October. Playing the chicken dance a couple of times during one game adds little and you wouldn't know about it unless you were there. Do it for multiple games during October and have a beer special that is advertised to the general public. The public simply isn't buying what TU has to offer, unless they have an affinity for the program (largely alums) or a local player. TV is eating into that fan base. Repeating the same strategies isn't going to work. At some point, you start to wonder if TU's strategy was to keep the crowd low, exclusive, and manageable and rely on TV money that didnt materialize. Time to try something different.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Oktoberfest is sixteen day event that typically starts in mid-October. Playing the chicken dance a couple of times during one game adds little and you wouldn't know about it unless you were there. Do it for multiple games during October and have a beer special that is advertised to the general public. The public simply isn't buying what TU has to offer, unless they have an affinity for the program (largely alums) or a local player. TV is eating into that fan base. Repeating the same strategies isn't going to work. At some point, you start to wonder if TU's strategy was to keep the crowd low, exclusive, and manageable and rely on TV money that didnt materialize. Time to try something different.
You think that the Chicken Dance is what we're missing? That's the key? hahaha

Funny thing about emails, they can only reach people who've purchased a ticket online/by phone before. :-/

You don't capture contact info for walk-up sales.

Actually you can target ads based on credit card purchase data. I assume the big email vendors do this but certainly can do it through major ad networks.

We're talking about TU's efforts here...they aren't even effectively emailing past purchasers.

Cold emails make me livid, thank goodness for spam filters. I don't buy whatever it is on principle.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
We're talking about TU's efforts here...they aren't even effectively emailing past purchasers.

Cold emails make me livid, thank goodness for spam filters. I don't buy whatever it is on principle.

Well yes I agree that this is unfortunately way more sophisticated than TU has been. But they can specifically target walk up purchasers who buy TU tickets with a credit card if they wanted to. And could cross sell to people who walk up purchase basketball tickets with a credit card.

Your school only has 2500 students give or take and the average Tulsa citizen supports OU and to a lesser extent oSu. Not much you can do.

According to Red pussycat there's not much we can do. Guess we should just drop all our input on the issue.

Go to your own board and bother people there.

You think that the Chicken Dance is what we're missing? That's the key? hahaha
I think you need to start somewhere and prove that even small things done with strategic thinking with modest effort move the needle. The targeted radio call in thing is a good example of that. Doing the same promotions year after year doesnt do it. The Blackout thing did move the needle a bit and was nice, but that's just a backdoor effort to raise ticket prices for people who go buy the official t-shirt. It's essentially a free t-shirt to those who pay an increased ticket price. And its something that larger schools started doing 15 years ago and have essentially quit.

I've never seen a promoted sale of TU athletics on FB, despite visiting this site and tulsahurricane.com almost regularly. Maybe its just my IP address.

The last call for beer announcement was made with about 11 minutes to go in the 3rd. We knew we probably had about an hour to grab a couple more before the end of the 3rd Q.

It took almost a half hour to play the first 1:10 of the 3rd qtr.
That game took forever. CFB and TV need to fix the length of games as games that start later will be a deterrent to being family friendly to kids under 12 or so whose parents still try to get them in bed at a decent hour. What ended up being almost a 7 minute review of Dane's non-fumble started with 2 to 2.5 minutes of network commercials before they came back and the ref was buzzed that the play was under review. While determining it wasn't a fumble because his knee was down was probably pretty quick, resetting the game clock, chains, etc. and getting all that info written down took the bulk of the review time. If you the guy next to the referee starts writing stuff down, they are reversing the call...

Actually you can target ads based on credit card purchase data. I assume the big email vendors do this but certainly can do it through major ad networks.
App ads can be set using GPS data so everytime someone goes on to play Candy Crush or Pokemon GO TU could have a side ad on the game for the next football game based on GPS data. FB also has targeted ads based on location. TU is not doing any of this. ORU does a ton of this (not for athletics, just an Admissions ad). You have to meet the consumer where they are at and that is usually on their phone.

App ads can be set using GPS data so everytime someone goes on to play Candy Crush or Pokemon GO TU could have a side ad on the game for the next football game based on GPS data. FB also has targeted ads based on location. TU is not doing any of this. ORU does a ton of this (not for athletics, just an Admissions ad). You have to meet the consumer where they are at and that is usually on their phone.
PokemonGo doesn't have that kind of ads. Well, at least it didn't to begin with. Its usage spiked quickly, but tanked just as fast.

2:45pm in late October sandwiched between Friday night and Saturday night Oktoberfests with plenty of time for tailgating first but not too early is perfection.

Thank you, tv gods!

That's a good start time for the last weekend in October. That is also the end of Fall break so we'll see what the turnout for that one might be.

It's right in the middle of Fall Break for a lot of school districts. Some are out Thursday 10/20 through Tuesday 10/25. We're having to drive in from an out of town event for the game.

2:45pm in late October sandwiched between Friday night and Saturday night Oktoberfests with plenty of time for tailgating first but not too early is perfection.

Thank you, tv gods!
I agree completely! Are you heading back into town for homecoming Junkie?

That weekend is always my favorite. My B'Day always falls on or near it, plus we have homecoming, plus Oktoberfest, and the students can dress up for Halloween a bit early if they so choose. Best time of the year IMHO

Targeted sales is what gets people in the door, a good product is what brings people back.

Targeted sales is what gets people in the door, a good product is what brings people back.

Damn right! It's not gimmicks, it's a team that competes and wins in an exciting fashion. We're a meat and potatoes team. I haven't seen a trick play in years (last i can recall is the halfback pass against colorado state) and we run the ball more than we pass it these days. We finally have a defense that can give a conservative offense a chance to win football games. It's a solid football team to watch and support.

Market to the people that live and work downtown they are relatively close, if you can get them you can sell to others too. Need to have someone go and knock on the doors of businsses and corporations, smooz and woo them into some ticket buys. Actually walk in their door personally don't just make a phone call, they all ways like the personal treatment. Promise the impossible and deliver. If you don't try you won't ever get the sale or expand your connections. I doubt if Tulsa's current AD does this. Past Tulsa AD's did this.

Last edited:
Damn right! It's not gimmicks, it's a team that competes and wins in an exciting fashion. We're a meat and potatoes team. I haven't seen a trick play in years (last i can recall is the halfback pass against colorado state) and we run the ball more than we pass it these days. We finally have a defense that can give a conservative offense a chance to win football games. It's a solid football team to watch and support.

Little confused by this. You seem to say we're not exciting enough even though we just won two OT games in which we scored 40+ points and had multiple drives under 2 minutes.

It's not a co
It's not a conservative offense. It's a take what the D gives you offense and sometimes it's the run and sometimes it's the pass. It's efficient and puts points on the board...lots of them.

And our D is much improved this year that every time on 3rd down I am no longer authored when we make a play to get off the field (BTW, TUs defense is 4th in the nation in forcing 3 & out drives at 6.25 per game).

Market to the people that live and work downtown they are relatively close, if you can get them you can sell to others too. Need to have someone go and knock on the doors of businsses and corporations, smooz and woo them into some ticket buys. Actually walk in their door personally don't just make a phone call, they all ways like the personal treatment. Promise the impossible and deliver. If you don't try you won't ever get the sale or expand your connections. I doubt if Tulsa's current AD does this. Past Tulsa AD's did this.
Tulsa men's soccer team came out to All Star Sports complex a couple weeks ago where 300 youth soccer players are training any given evening and handed out flyers and talked to people to try and get them to the game against UCONN that weekend. I know Union hosts youth football games most evenings....sending 20-25 players to those games to hand out flyers or ticket discounts to parents and kids at those games would be a good start.

We did have a good crowd coming out to soccer games, then they told us we couldn't tailgate anymore and now they have got rid of beer again so you had crowds like you had last night of like 50 people against a top 10 team.

We did have a good crowd coming out to soccer games, then they told us we couldn't tailgate anymore and now they have got rid of beer again so you had crowds like you had last night of like 50 people against a top 10 team.
Ridiculous. Translation: Paranoia over security and they don't want to pay the extra salaries of enough cops to calm their unreasonable fears.

This year, BA, Jenks, Union, Owasso and Bixby will be going to regionals. Jenks, Union and Owasso will be going on to nationals while BA is participating in the Rose parade. BA, Owasso and Union have all been Grand National finalists in recent years.

Jenks and Owasso have also made recent Rose parade appearances and Union was in the Macy's parade a couple of years ago. Owasso also appeard in the St Patrick's Day parade in Dublin Ireland recently.

HS band is definitely a big deal in this area.

BOA St. Louis regional results:

1. BA
3. Owasso
5. Union
13. Jenks
14. Bixby

BOA St. Louis regional results:

1. BA
3. Owasso
5. Union
13. Jenks
14. Bixby
I can't tell you how impressive having 5 bands in the top 15 out of 65 competing at super regionals is. And to have 3 of the top 5...ridiculous. Yes, I'm a band nerd. I know how much work goes into it (been there) and to put something on with the quality that BA, Union, and Owasso do is really really good. The attitude at those schools is halftime is a chance to get better and they don't exist just to make that break go by faster.

I can't tell you how impressive having 5 bands in the top 15 out of 65 competing at super regionals is. And to have 3 of the top 5...ridiculous. Yes, I'm a band nerd. I know how much work goes into it (been there) and to put something on with the quality that BA, Union, and Owasso do is really really good. The attitude at those schools is halftime is a chance to get better and they don't exist just to make that break go by faster.

These kids get to go to fun places like Dublin IR, Pasadena, Washington DC, Orlando, etc, but it does get expensive.

How far off are Jenks and Bixby from BA, Owasso, and Union? (Talent/skill wise)

Here are the scores:

BA 94.5
Owasso 89
Union 88.2
Jenks 81.2
Bixby 80.15

BA is head and shoulders above everyone, with an even bigger gap between Owasso/Union and Jenks/Bixby.

Owasso, Union & Jenks will be competing in the Grand National championships in 3 weeks. O & U have a good shot at making it to the finals (Top 12).

Seems like BA's band has been that strong for at least 25 years if not longer.

Kind of surprised that Jenks isn't closer to the top with all the resources the school and parents have.

How far off are Jenks and Bixby from BA, Owasso, and Union? (Talent/skill wise)
There's probably 10 pts which is near impossible to make up over the course of the season. BA is probably the best HS band program in the nation. Owasso is very good technically, Union is good in terms of artistry on the field but their execution with regards to what they're given is just not as refined. BA not only pushes the envelope in terms of creativity, they also execute it about as good as any HS band I've ever seen

Seems like BA's band has been that strong for at least 25 years if not longer.

Kind of surprised that Jenks isn't closer to the top with all the resources the school and parents have.
It has to do with what they are doing for marching and music staff. A good to great HS band will have a music caption head plus 4-5 techs, 3-4 percussion staff, 4-5 marching staff plus drill designer, and 3-4 color guard staff. Most of that staff is paid staff and you will have some who volunteer. It's not cheap to fund that. I'm not sure what Jenks' marching band staff looks like but I know Union and BA have staffs equivalent to what world class drum and bugle corps have.

Band & football are intertwined, part of the tradition. Why do you think they have a halftime show?

There are 3 significant holiday periods during football season: Labor Day, Fall Break and Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, Tulsa has home games on each of these 3 weekends. Throw in a Friday game and an FCS game and we only have one home game against an FBS opponent on a non-holiday Saturday (ECU on 11/5). That's 5 of the 6 games with a built-in excuse for the casual fan not to come.

Last night was the one game that I thought would have a good crowd. Guess I was wrong.

We have this same conversation every single year. Our biggest crowds have always been against big name opponents and not when we host someone from our own conference. You can blame apathy in Tulsa all you want but we have to face facts, we re the smallest school paying FBS football. We have the smallest alumni base. We aren't a perennial power house that wins, or has the potential to win, national championships. We play the coaching merry-go-round every couple of years and that keeps us form breaking through and being a consistently really good team. SO many things stacked against us but this conversation really is getting old.

That being said there are things we could do. We could have a really solid marketing campaign. We could produce videos each week for the upcoming game. I live in the metroplex now and I can remember when no one went to TCU games. They are sold out now and it isn't because they are in the Big 12. It is because they kept a coach, maintain momentum and have an awesome marketing campaign. Downtown Ft. Worth has TCU flags on the light poles for crying out loud.

I think it's a classic example of "you can't please everyone."

I have small kids who were dead tired by halftime. They had been there tailgating since 2:45PM.

The tailgating atmosphere might be too good - quite a few people come for that and stay out there or leave after and don't come to the game.

In the stadium, the games simply last far too long. 4 hours with a 7pm kick off is just insane. Too many stoppages of play for television and replay reviews.

If you are following the game closely from a statistical analysis (a football wonk) perspective, than TV gives you a better experience. The in game stats they provide can't be matched.

TV also allows you to stop the game for food / bathroom breaks and then fast forward through the stoppages of play, which you can't do in the stadium - plus it's 68-72 degrees and you don't have to walk to your car.

Inside the stadium, the atmosphere is subdued by the fact that the games aren't that competitive, outside of the SMU game. We're "too good" it seems. When the outcome isn't in doubt after the first possession, fans lose interest.

On the east side, they need to find a way to integrate the Reynolds Center into the fenced in area so people have access to concessions there and also the bathrooms. Perhaps they could fence off the other 2/3 of the building that doesn't need to be accessed? It's hard to justify facility upgrades for a stadium used 6 times a year for around 24 total hours a year, but it sure would be nice if the east side had some short of canopy / shade cover as it can be downright unbearable for 4 hours.

Also many fans on the west and south sides have no idea about the bathrooms under the apartments.

A simple 8.5" X 11" "Amenity Guide" would be a good start that lists where the facilities are - they do have the useful game day maps in all the corners but I think they can be walked by sometimes.

Ultimately it's hard to complete with HDTV. It's free - ish and convenient. Certainly cheaper than a season ticket package, even at our ridiculously low prices. When you can get a family of 4 into all the games for $210, that's a steal.

You're not going to get OU / Ark / OSU alums to buy season tickets. Your potential fanbase is alumni of other far flung universities (like the guy that sits in front of me in the Yale Crew shirt each week) - and those without college degrees. The trick is - how do you get the former group to adopt TU as their 2nd school, and how do you get the others off the couch and into the stadium? What can you do to make it a must - see event for those people? Marketing gimmicks? Lady Dynamite? Diamond Rio concert in the north end zone?

I think it's a classic example of "you can't please everyone."

I have small kids who were dead tired by halftime. They had been there tailgating since 2:45PM.

The tailgating atmosphere might be too good - quite a few people come for that and stay out there or leave after and don't come to the game.

In the stadium, the games simply last far too long. 4 hours with a 7pm kick off is just insane. Too many stoppages of play for television and replay reviews.

If you are following the game closely from a statistical analysis (a football wonk) perspective, than TV gives you a better experience. The in game stats they provide can't be matched.

TV also allows you to stop the game for food / bathroom breaks and then fast forward through the stoppages of play, which you can't do in the stadium - plus it's 68-72 degrees and you don't have to walk to your car.

Inside the stadium, the atmosphere is subdued by the fact that the games aren't that competitive, outside of the SMU game. We're "too good" it seems. When the outcome isn't in doubt after the first possession, fans lose interest.

On the east side, they need to find a way to integrate the Reynolds Center into the fenced in area so people have access to concessions there and also the bathrooms. Perhaps they could fence off the other 2/3 of the building that doesn't need to be accessed? It's hard to justify facility upgrades for a stadium used 6 times a year for around 24 total hours a year, but it sure would be nice if the east side had some short of canopy / shade cover as it can be downright unbearable for 4 hours.

Also many fans on the west and south sides have no idea about the bathrooms under the apartments.

A simple 8.5" X 11" "Amenity Guide" would be a good start that lists where the facilities are - they do have the useful game day maps in all the corners but I think they can be walked by sometimes.

Ultimately it's hard to complete with HDTV. It's free - ish and convenient. Certainly cheaper than a season ticket package, even at our ridiculously low prices. When you can get a family of 4 into all the games for $210, that's a steal.

You're not going to get OU / Ark / OSU alums to buy season tickets. Your potential fanbase is alumni of other far flung universities (like the guy that sits in front of me in the Yale Crew shirt each week) - and those without college degrees. The trick is - how do you get the former group to adopt TU as their 2nd school, and how do you get the others off the couch and into the stadium? What can you do to make it a must - see event for those people? Marketing gimmicks? Lady Dynamite? Diamond Rio concert in the north end zone?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT