ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance Concerns?

They did it under Danny Manning & year 1 of Haith. It wasn't a thing with Woj. It also didn't do anything. Student attendance has been pretty consistent regardless and may have even been higher last season than any under Manning.
Ya. That's not true. I was a student from 09'. They definitely did stuff for the students during the last two years of Woj.

There were still some pretty empty student sections under Manning despite them being given chances at millions in cash and prizes.

But Manning and staff absolutely cared about the atmosphere and that student section.

I'm almost to my 20 year hs reunion and I liked the variety of the DJ. Pep band was great the last couple of years also. In game promos like Marquel also highly entertaining. Announcer not so much except when Voice filled in.

But bball has it mostly figured out. Focusing on primarily students for football is unwise because of sheer number (or lack thereof).

BBall atmosphere has been better and has recovered somewhat since Woj with regards to student attendance and engagement to the actual game. The casual fans that were here with Hollywood have not come back since Phillips sank the ship.

We sat in front of the student section at the Ohio State game. They had a couple of guys on a small public address system with the speakers pointed up toward the students. The guys on the PA system led the students in cheers based on what was going on during the game. Was annoying as hell for us having to listen to it, but the students were able to do their chants together, and kept the student energy up. Is a worthwhile idea.

According to Chadwick, ticket sales have been pretty good leading up to Friday's game. Let's hope for 23-24k.

Just by looking at availability on TulsaHurricane.com, there appear to be more tickets still available (green dots) for Friday night than there were in the days leading up to the A&T game.

Montgomery saying in the Tulsa World that they need the fans to show up. Can't blame him for saying that. You know what they say price is king! If the product is good and the price is right, you will probably have a decent showing by the fans. If the product is good but the price isn't quite right. The fans will find a better price elsewhere. Real marketing always helps not just emails. It will be interesting to see if they have a good showing by the fans. Ticket admin pay attention to the numbers. That is Butts in seats.

Funny thing about emails, they can only reach people who've purchased a ticket online/by phone before. :-/

You don't capture contact info for walk-up sales.

This would be a worthwhile promo with the help of corporate sponsors:

Collect contact info (e mail, home address, phone numbers, employer, etc...) from walk up sales and an online initiative for 1 free or discounted ticket to the next home game.

There are services that can data mine from credit card sales also for a buyer's contact info.

Since TU has such a tough time marketing (says a ton for our college of business and marketing program, huh?) it seems like the only way to really make an impact will be from organic networking and fan campaigns.

This would be a worthwhile promo with the help of corporate sponsors:

Collect contact info (e mail, home address, phone numbers, employer, etc...) from walk up sales and an online initiative for 1 free or discounted ticket to the next home game.

There are services that can data mine from credit card sales also for a buyer's contact info.

Since TU has such a tough time marketing (says a ton for our college of business and marketing program, huh?) it seems like the only way to really make an impact will be from organic networking and fan campaigns.
I don't think it says anything about our business and marketing majors/programs. I don't think the athletic dept. is really using that resource (and it's stupid they don't).

Reactions: tufan4eva
Gotcha...I took the part in the parentheses as an insult to those programs...

It's difficult to sell tickets online when the seat map won't load. I've tried in 3 browsers and it won't load.

It looks like the entire East side is nearly sold-out on the map. I'll believe it when I see it.

In the 60's we had crowded for 25k to 35k, playing teams like Drake, Tampa, So Ill, Sw Missouri state,. .

Where has everyone gone???

Gotcha...I took the part in the parentheses as an insult to those programs...

It's difficult to sell tickets online when the seat map won't load. I've tried in 3 browsers and it won't load.

I suppose it doesn't make sense to have the web teams fix that either? Come on TU!

Also, there was one televised college football game each week, no cable TV or electronic games (except magnetic football) or other competition. Many college programs are dealing with declining attendance -- Texas, OSU, etc.

Last edited:
We're 4 and 1. How is that awful? The guys gave the home crowd an awesome show today by gutting out a tough win against a determined opponent. People who came to this game will consider coming back if they were casual fans. This was the perfect scenario for this game.

Too many folks left early. Most disappointing part of the game, except maybe the 17 penalties.

Reactions: quincy101
22,000 announced. Not bad for a Friday night during the state fair. Student section was fullest it's been in a while. Thinned out as the game dragged out due to penalties, injuries, and overkill commercial timeouts.

crowd was the best this year - and even though it thinned out, I thought there was more crowd noise on D against SMoo than I can recall for several years. Of course, that was helped by the excessive flags from the refs that seemed to realize this was there ONE SHINING MOMENT on ESPN2

People left. But I guarantee most of the casual fans stuck around. the people that leave early are usually the ones who can come watch the team every game with their season tickets.

Pretty incredible how many season ticket holders left after the 3rd and after the 4th. Who leaves when a game is going to overtime? These are supposed to be our real fans and they can't be bothered to stick around when the game is tied.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Pretty incredible how many season ticket holders left after the 3rd and after the 4th. Who leaves when a game is going to overtime? These are supposed to be our real fans and they can't be bothered to stick around when the game is tied.

The game was way too long ,and we did not dress with enough clothes.

I thought the crowd was as loud as I've ever heard it on third down.

I had 2 10 year olds and it was 11:30. And we had a babysitter for our other and we told her about 11. I wasn't happy about leaving but bigger picture life dictated the decision.

I had 2 10 year olds and it was 11:30. And we had a babysitter for our other and we told her about 11. I wasn't happy about leaving but bigger picture life dictated the decision.

There are individual instances that are understandable. No reason for 90% of the westside to be gone by overtime though.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The last call for beer announcement was made with about 11 minutes to go in the 3rd. We knew we probably had about an hour to grab a couple more before the end of the 3rd Q.

It took almost a half hour to play the first 1:10 of the 3rd qtr.

Its effing October. $4 for a brat and a tall boy will pack the place and you will still make your margin. Put the effing chicken dance on the loudspeaker. Get some blasted idiot in blue lederhosen on the big screen. This isn't rocket science.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Do beer sales actually stop during the 3rd? Or the end of it like everywhere else in America?

Yeah a few people are gonna get thirsty. And no reentry...

Its effing October. $4 for a brat and a tall boy will pack the place and you will still make your margin. Put the effing chicken dance on the loudspeaker. Get some blasted idiot in blue lederhosen on the big screen. This isn't rocket science.
That is reserved for Oktoberfest / homecoming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT